Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

zoux posted:

It won't be for away from a charger if I pull the trigger, it'll be for killing downtime at work. I bought a high powered gaming laptop for the same purpose but the fan is just slightly less loud than a jet engine takeoff and I feel like I'm irritating people with it - as well as myself - so I don't use it. And it gets so loving hot.

How's the Deck's heat management/ fan volume?

It isn't a jet engine but you can definitely hear it when it starts to kick in. It basically has the fans of the gaming laptop that it functionally is. That said, it doesn't really get hot because of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

zoux posted:

It won't be for away from a charger if I pull the trigger, it'll be for killing downtime at work. I bought a high powered gaming laptop for the same purpose but the fan is just slightly less loud than a jet engine takeoff and I feel like I'm irritating people with it - as well as myself - so I don't use it. And it gets so loving hot.

How's the Deck's heat management/ fan volume?

the Deck does both things as well, it can get loud and very hot, but it highly depends what you intend to play, for how long and which FPS you're ok with. You have good control over the power level of the GPU and overall wattage so you can always go and tweak it, ofc for the loss of performance in some cases. Overall I would say it doesn't get as annoying as a laptop does and the frequency of the fan is bit more subtle, especially if you're not very close to it.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Well I think I am going to buy one this summer.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
I feel the size issue is not that big a deal, too. I have small lady hands and I don't find the Deck hard to hold or handle even for long periods. It feels really good in the hands in a way the Switch just doesn't.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
the issue with size is the portability more than just the playing, no?
like you can fit a switch in a pocket (at least if you have big pockets) whereas you are probably not carrying a steam deck around except in a bag

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

like you can fit a switch in a pocket (at least if you have big pockets) whereas you are probably not carrying a steam deck around except in a bag

Yeah portability is the issue. A Nintendo switch is 6.8" wide, a steam deck is 11.7" wide. It's big enough that when I pulled it out of its shipping box I went "gently caress that's bigger than I thought" and not in a hot way.

There isn't a ton of wasted real estate, it just has a big screen and large touch pads which all add to the width.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Standard cargo shorts should have big enough pockets for the Deck.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Antigravitas posted:

Standard cargo shorts should have big enough pockets for the Deck.

What if I don't work at IT Helpdesk

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

yet again my Jncos are vindicated

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Just get an extra large fanny pack.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

steam deck verified

unruly
May 12, 2002

YES!!!

CuddleCryptid posted:

What if I don't work at IT Helpdesk
Then what the gently caress are you doing here?

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1658169185682493441?t=cUZiFW0BsJAOSzOBQzij_g&s=19

Seems like a logical extention of the refund system.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

but they already offer 2 hour free trials?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

make demos you cowards

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

cheetah7071 posted:

it's got a pedigree. First games was 1997. First popular game was 2002, and there have been official releases nearly every year since, on top of all the fan stuff people have talked about already.

this is why leisure suit larry is held in such high regard

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Leisure Suit Larry: Highly Responsive to Players

e: Subterranean Analingus

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 21:52 on May 15, 2023

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Hwurmp posted:

make demos you cowards

too much work, install this 100GB game instead

Orv
May 4, 2011
The actual question about Steam… trials? Undemos? Is does that 90 minutes cut into your refund time because of how Steam tracks gameplay time? I assume someone has thought this far ahead but then again Valve.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Random interesting/weird announcements from the last day or so that caught my eye:

• Age of Empires II: Definitive Edition - Return of Rome is a DLC that ports the original AoE1 into the AoE2 engine as a separate mode with its own civilizations and rules, while also adding the Romans to the main AoE2 game.
  • HAWKEN Reborn is an F2P PvE-only mech-em-up built on the corpse of the PvP game that shut down five years ago. Which does not sound like what fans of that game wanted, but you gotta capitalize on Armored Core hype somehow I guess.
  • HROT escapes Early Access tomorrow-ish, presenting you with a full game of 26 levels and "recipes instead of a story" inside an extremely brown 1980s Czechoslovakia populated by mutants, monsters and the occasional horse wearing a gas-mask.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I'm intrigued by Hawken, I remember liking the game when I first played it like a decade ago. But the swap to PvE is definitely an odd one.
Imagine I'll be too busy with TOTK and DOTA until next month and then D4 though so lemme know how it is, goons :v:

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

kazil posted:

too much work, install this 100GB game instead

Even most demos these days are just the same 100GB exe with the make stuff work past level 1 parts taken out.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Orv posted:

The actual question about Steam… trials? Undemos? Is does that 90 minutes cut into your refund time because of how Steam tracks gameplay time? I assume someone has thought this far ahead but then again Valve.

I would assume that it would count towards the two hours, since it's likely they are doing this to cut down on refunds. It's easier for them to just have the ticker run for 90 minutes for free than to process a bunch of refunds. They are basically doing the refund for you, in a sense

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

maybe I'm weird, but I feel like this isn't much of an issue in real-world usage

Like yeah, the Switch is much smaller, but I'd feel like a buffoon carrying either one around in a pocket. I can't think of any situation where I've carried my Switch or SD somewhere without using some kind of proper bag. I have a big phone that's still much smaller than a Switch and I think that's about my upper limit for what can go in a pocket.

fit em all up in there
Oct 10, 2006

Violencia

https://www.fanatical.com/en/bundle/killer-bundle-26

Killer Bundle 26 on Fanatical.
$20 for:

quote:

The Ascent
Dead Rising Defintive edition
Rain World
Eldest Souls
Heroes Hours
Lamentum
Gedonia
Oddworld soulstorm enhanced edition
Corpse Factory
Dishonored
An elder scrolls legend battle sphere
The elder scrolls adventure:red guard
Bipod
Dusk
Legend of keepers
Banners of ruin
The game of life
Trolly problem inc
Oddworld strangers wrath HD
Oddworld Abes oddesy
Oddworld abes exodus
Oddworld munches odyssey
Oddworld new m tasty/alf and abe DLC packs

It's bundle week on Fanatical, so expect a new one tomorrow.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Awesome! posted:

but they already offer 2 hour free trials?

And now they are 3.5 hour trials.

Orv
May 4, 2011

CuddleCryptid posted:

I would assume that it would count towards the two hours, since it's likely they are doing this to cut down on refunds. It's easier for them to just have the ticker run for 90 minutes for free than to process a bunch of refunds. They are basically doing the refund for you, in a sense

This would be logical except humans haven’t been involved in the refund process in years. There’s no reason to make it easier and Valve still makes infinity dollars even with refunds.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Does Hawken play like Titanfall 2 mech sections? I always wanted a full game out out of those.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Hawken is UT2k4 but you’re a robot not a man or alien. Fast, dodges, some minor vertical flight.

unruly
May 12, 2002

YES!!!

Hwurmp posted:

make demos you cowards
The lost art of Shareware and Demos is apparently too time consuming in this Agile Waterfall Burndown Standup Chart world.

They'll circle-back-around with you and touch base to ensure that there is proper synergy with the :barf:

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Paradoxish posted:

maybe I'm weird, but I feel like this isn't much of an issue in real-world usage

Like yeah, the Switch is much smaller, but I'd feel like a buffoon carrying either one around in a pocket. I can't think of any situation where I've carried my Switch or SD somewhere without using some kind of proper bag. I have a big phone that's still much smaller than a Switch and I think that's about my upper limit for what can go in a pocket.
Yeah, both the Switch and the Deck are in the same "category" of portability in my mind. Too large to be pocketable, but still small enough to feasibly take places. The Deck is noticeably larger, yeah, but it's like how a 3DS XL is larger than a 3DS.

Orv posted:

This would be logical except humans haven’t been involved in the refund process in years. There’s no reason to make it easier and Valve still makes infinity dollars even with refunds.
There's no reason to believe anyone at Valve cares enough to make their system track demo times separately from time played after paying for the game, either.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Commander Keene posted:

There's no reason to believe anyone at Valve cares enough to make their system track demo times separately from time played after paying for the game, either.

Yeah that’s what I meant by “but Valve.” Someone had the - honestly good - idea of “hey let’s just standardize free trials across Steam” and that’s it. Someone built it and only that and here we go.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Switch feels waaaay too fragile to carry around in a pocket.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

fit em all up in there posted:

https://www.fanatical.com/en/bundle/killer-bundle-26

Killer Bundle 26 on Fanatical.
$20 for:

It's bundle week on Fanatical, so expect a new one tomorrow.

This is a very odd bundle

Worth it for Ascent, Dishonored, Dead Island, Heroes Hour, and Dusk though.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Impermanent posted:

Switch feels waaaay too fragile to carry around in a pocket.

Yeah, there's no way I ever would. I don't even like bringing my 3DS places without putting it in a case.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

this is why leisure suit larry is held in such high regard

The comparison works. They're both games about scoring.

FuriousGeorge
Jan 23, 2006

Ah, the simple joys of a monkey knife-fight.
Grimey Drawer
Does anyone have any impressions of Songs of Conquest? Normally I don't buy games in EA, but it's currently on sale for 40% off, and seems like it's shaping up nicely. I love HoMM3 but I never liked the Ubisoft sequels. Kinda hoping this is the evolution I've been waiting for.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

FuriousGeorge posted:

Does anyone have any impressions of Songs of Conquest? Normally I don't buy games in EA, but it's currently on sale for 40% off, and seems like it's shaping up nicely. I love HoMM3 but I never liked the Ubisoft sequels. Kinda hoping this is the evolution I've been waiting for.

It's great! The newest campaign came out today and I'm going to be playing through it. I'm planning on posting some thoughts later

Just like with any HoMM game the AI is really hit or miss. I've seen it do some braindead things, but I've also seen that in HoMM 3 HD+. They added randomly generated maps recently and retooled the map editor which is awesome to see

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Hwurmp posted:

make demos you cowards

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Was trying to figure out what I missed in the original Hawken that would involve a robit being in the new one, realized I was thinking about Hexen :sweatdrop: