Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

The hypothesizing I've seen (don't recall if I found it on these forums or elsewhere) is that there are a lot of people who would normally be adding supply to the market by moving up to a new home who are stuck where they are due to lack of equity + higher interest rates. So inventory is in the shitter and prices aren't moving as a result. It's a complicated set of gears and all it takes is a matchstick stuck between one set of cogs to break the entire machine.

That is definitely my assumption. The rates alone feel like a reason for everything to lock up, because even the dumbest people alive can see that adding $1k/mo to your mortgage payment for an equivalent or nearly equivalent home is a really bad idea. "Buy now refi later" works on people who need a house right now, but that argument is going to be pretty useless for people who can just stay where they are and wait for the lower rates before buying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

the cash buyers haven't totally dried up either, who are immune to fed rates. still tons of people out there sitting on tech money

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...

i say swears online posted:

prices coming down!!!

price cuts 😍

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

err posted:

price cuts 😍

it lists one bathroom, and that bathroom is conveniently located in the attic

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle
aqua teen rear end house

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
free buckets tho

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

spacemang_spliff posted:

it lists one bathroom, and that bathroom is conveniently located in the attic

hell yeah my fixer upper looks just like this $$$

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

The hypothesizing I've seen (don't recall if I found it on these forums or elsewhere) is that there are a lot of people who would normally be adding supply to the market by moving up to a new home who are stuck where they are due to lack of equity + higher interest rates. So inventory is in the shitter and prices aren't moving as a result. It's a complicated set of gears and all it takes is a matchstick stuck between one set of cogs to break the entire machine.

yeah the only way prices crater is if there's a downward spiral in the job market. the thing is if you sell your house you will need to *go somewhere* and if there's nowhere to even downgrade to in prices to escape your (relatively cheap) mortgage you're going to see everyone bunker down. without rent cratering first you're going to see either a massive homeless population or massive household combining.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
basically if landlords win the holdout war or there's no great recession level of firings, we will probably see house prices go down, but these houses are mostly going to be from someone passing away or combining a household or necessitating a move to another state.

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007
think ill just settle for a fight club house

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

love all these main stream rubes talking about how prices are dropping and now things are affordable so gently caress you millennials quit complaining!!!

…Except a 1% drop in price after a bajillion% increase in prices for four years doesn’t mean poo poo. Especially when interest rates are so high!!!

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

https://allinoneloan.com/

Seems... precarious

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Paradoxish posted:

free buckets tho

any room is a bathroom if you put a bucket in it

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

wow that’s a hell of a thing.

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

explaint his to me a dumb dumb

this is basically a checking account but you use your home equity?

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

spacemang_spliff posted:

I clicked on the link to try and figure that out but they intentionally are very vague about it. My assumption is that you get a line of credit equal to whatever equity you have in your house and as you pay off the mortgage and (if you're lucky) have appreciation then your HELOC limit will increase over time but they do not state that or really state anything which would make it clear what exactly this product is.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Thoguh posted:

I clicked on the link to try and figure that out but they intentionally are very vague about it. My assumption is that you get a line of credit equal to whatever equity you have in your house and as you pay off the mortgage and (if you're lucky) have appreciation then your HELOC limit will increase over time but they do not state that or really state anything which would make it clear what exactly this product is.

No, it's the opposite. You get a giant revolving line of credit that starts with a massive balance instead of a mortgage. Then that limit decreases over time as does a traditional HELOC (after ten years you go into a regular HELOC repayment period).

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

the street view car had to ford that river like it was the oregon trail

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

so...the hope is you get used to that huge line of credit and... ?? default? ask for another loan? idgi

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

so...the hope is you get used to that huge line of credit and... ?? default? ask for another loan? idgi

I think the hope is that they get to charge you interest on your balance and you give them a bunch of actual cash that you would otherwise have in like a high yield checking which they can then reloan out to other people for even higher rates than what you're avoiding on your HELOC by sweeping it into your principal balance; it's like double dipping on their end

The ending up in the gutter part is just an industrial byproduct

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Started googling to see when these started coming back, looks like 2021 is when they started popping up again

also lolled at this

lionel hutz rear end marketing copy jesus

Woodsy Owl
Oct 27, 2004

spacemang_spliff posted:

It seems like having "idle money" is the key for this to be beneficial in any way. Also the interest rate in the Simulator is like 8.75%.

Woodsy Owl
Oct 27, 2004
Turns out having tons of spare cash can save you money on interest, huh who woulda thought such a thing were possible

Also give me your money and I'll lend it back to you at 8.75% all day

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
It seems like a trap to me. They give you a big loan up front and hope you overextend yourself and then they get the house

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

Ice Phisherman posted:

any room is a bathroom if you put a bucket in it

Woodsy Owl
Oct 27, 2004

Nothus posted:

It seems like a trap to me. They give you a big loan up front and hope you overextend yourself and then they get the house

All banks

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
theres an unfinished fixer upper in a borderline bad neighborhood that got bought in April 23 for $230k and is now listed for $399,999 l. no improvements were made, not even grey vinyl plank flooring. i hope that flipper gets run over by an electric hummer

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

Ammanas posted:

theres an unfinished fixer upper in a borderline bad neighborhood that got bought in April 23 for $230k and is now listed for $399,999 l. no improvements were made, not even grey vinyl plank flooring. i hope that flipper gets run over by an electric hummer

That’s not flipping, that’s just plain old speculation.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

The Oldest Man posted:

Started googling to see when these started coming back, looks like 2021 is when they started popping up again

also lolled at this

lionel hutz rear end marketing copy jesus

wow that last bullet point sounds very cryptolike

Zantie
Mar 30, 2003

Death. The capricious dance of Now You Stop Moving Forever.

Zantie posted:

Ah, finally something local under $100K

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1155-SE-Professional-Mall-Blvd-TRAILER-210-Pullman-WA-99163/2060131700_zpid/

It basically looks like they tried cramming in a rustic commercial kitchen into a mobile home.

OMG it has a pending offer

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
we got a new manager in my group and during his introduction he said he recently bought ten rental units and he's eager to "fill them with tenants".

like he's not a flipper or someone with a nascent real estate interest. he just wants the passive income.

fuckin gross all around.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
Pay twelve million to live in someone's first custom Quake 2 level:

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/5156-Benji-Ave-Joshua-Tree-CA-92252/137800600_zpid/

quote:

This one-of-a-kind compound offers off-the-grid minimalist luxury living in the heart of the high desert. A pristine three-acre parcel of desert land near Joshua Tree National Park comes fully developed for a stunning, sustainable home custom-designed by Unincorporated Associates, a New York and Los Angeles-based firm helmed by a fashion designer and an architect. Designed in harmony with its natural surroundings to inspire creativity and peace of mind, this private compound is UA's first fully immersive residential design concept. The 3200-square-foot partially subterranean concrete residence appears to emerge from the desert floor against the backdrop of a stunning mountain range, bringing a gentle sense of order to the vast landscape. The sculptural compound, enclosed in a courtyard and powered by state-of-the-art solar technology, includes a three-story main residence, two-bedroom guest house, mineral water swimming and reflecting pools, and three-car garage with EV charging stations. The main residence features spectacular views, wet bar, media room, and expansive main bedroom suite with dressing area, water closets, and a soaking chamber. The compound's custom furniture, cabinetry, high-end appliances, lighting, and integrated audio-visual system are part of UA's lifestyle concept that also includes (at an additional expense) a customized apparel collection and a fully customized vintage Land Rover with an eco-friendly engine. This unique and compelling compound is sure to take its place as a masterwork alongside other significant high desert architecture.

Joshua Tree Zillow listing are something else.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

lol three acres

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

lol that owns

i don't think they understand what "off the grid" means though. i think of people living with nothing to connect them with civiliation. no modern conveniences whatsoever

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
I've seen jokes about reverse mortgages being a scam for like 20 years now without ever knowing what one is. if anyone feels like explaining what that is and why it's a scam I'd appreciate it

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

indigi posted:

I've seen jokes about reverse mortgages being a scam for like 20 years now without ever knowing what one is. if anyone feels like explaining what that is and why it's a scam I'd appreciate it

you live in a house that you own. a bank gives you $200,000, or monthly payments. after x years your house is now the bank's house

think of it more like the way mortage is used when playing monopoly

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
is it $200,000 flat or is that just an example

is X 30 years?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

just an example. banks will be flexible with you on # years, usually with an actuary involved. i.e., a 60-year-old getting a reverse mortgage for spending money while they continue to live in the house until death. some places will, instead of # years, pay monthly until the person dies. works dece for the people living in the house but if they die the day after signing the bank gets a free house and then the kiddos get big mad

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

i say swears online posted:

you live in a house that you own. a bank gives you $200,000, or monthly payments. after x years your house is now the bank's house

think of it more like the way mortage is used when playing monopoly

seems like it might make sense if you are old and have no dependents

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

it really does, as long as you have a 'til death clause instead of a hard number of years. would suck to be homeless at 90

except in that case the bank has an incentive to kill you so probably keep a shotgun around