Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:
I would simply raredraft as god intended

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Couldn't you also just buy the pack if the one you opened was garbage? I open packs like that all the time and never one I just wanted all the cards from.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Khanstant posted:

Couldn't you also just buy the pack if the one you opened was garbage? I open packs like that all the time and never one I just wanted all the cards from.

You can, but it's not a huge advantage and most stores will probably tell people not to take the piss if they try it too much (especially as the best case scenario for "a single better card" is likely winning another pack)

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

CubeTheory posted:

Just a quick temperature check, I drafted at my LGS for Store Championship last weekend and the store owner told us if we opened a pack and wanted to keep it, we could immediately buy it, set it aside, and he'd give us another pack to draft with. This set off a ton of alarms and immediately made me wary of the guy. Also, we drafted out of a box that had already been opened and was missing a few packs.

Should I chill or never return?

I've never seen anyone angle-shoot with it to get better packs, it's only a rule for more casual drafts. Letting people do that instead of raredrafting is w/e, but occasionally someone will open a pack so valuable it's better EV to drop from the event than take something and pass it. The option to buy out the pack means you get less pods with odd numbers of players, so more games and less byes. It's generally a good thing, I think.

I'm curious if it still matters as much with the new distinctions between draft/set/collectors boosters. Anyone know if that's dramatically changed the odds of having one of those ultra-valuable packs because more of the set's value lives in alternate prints that don't come in draft packs?

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

I think people have been offering that more since it happened at the pro tour in 2015. Someone rare drafted a foil tarmagoyf with a pro tour stamp in the top 8. The card auctioned for like $15,000 iirc, and he donated half of it.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Tom Clancy is Dead posted:

I've never seen anyone angle-shoot with it to get better packs, it's only a rule for more casual drafts. Letting people do that instead of raredrafting is w/e, but occasionally someone will open a pack so valuable it's better EV to drop from the event than take something and pass it. The option to buy out the pack means you get less pods with odd numbers of players, so more games and less byes. It's generally a good thing, I think.

I'm curious if it still matters as much with the new distinctions between draft/set/collectors boosters. Anyone know if that's dramatically changed the odds of having one of those ultra-valuable packs because more of the set's value lives in alternate prints that don't come in draft packs?

you still have a chance of opening something stupid good though with the extra slot that's in most every draft booster these days - high priced mythic + something good in the extra legend slot (or whatever they call it) would count in a MOM draft booster

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Fajita Queen posted:

I wish Invasion of Tarkir were good enough for legacy because that would be some sweet tech.

lol yeah I mentioned that because Bosh N Roll's video for today is doing that, Izzet delver shell with 4 sprite dragons instead of delver.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lYdyXNp3pAY

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 22:40 on May 15, 2023

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Tom Clancy is Dead posted:

The really expensive stuff (the serialised foils) doesn't really have an equivalent from a decade ago. You can open Elesh Norn, Ragavan and foil Sheoldred (say) in the same pack of March, which is comparable to opening a masterpiece and an Aetherworks Marvel from Kaladesh.

MrL_JaKiri fucked around with this message at 20:02 on May 15, 2023

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

MrL_JaKiri posted:

The really expensive stuff (the serialised foils) doesn't really have an equivalent from a decade ago. You can open Elesh Norn, Ragavan and foil Sheoldred (say) in the same pack of March, which is comparable to opening a masterpiece and an Aetherworks Marvel from Kaladesh.

I saw someone open a pack that was I believe 3 different elesh norns? It was very funny

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

lol yeah I mentioned that because Bosh N Roll's video for today is doing that, Izzet delver shell with 4 sprite dragons instead of delver.

A saw a version that also played Murktide. Seems maybe viable

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Oh gently caress yeah

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal
I guess y'all have more trustworthy LGS environments. My experience in this area has been that every LGS has people that will abuse whatever they can to win, and we have caught many people openly cheating at the tables. The store owner jumped down my throat, actually yelling at me and a friend because the friend pointed out the dice for an incubate token had gotten pushed off the card. I was playing the store owner at the time and he started threatening to disqualify me and saying he could do it if he wanted. This was the same guy who repeatedly throughout the tournament would hand his hand to other players, INCLUDING MY SAME FRIEND, to show off how great it was and see their reaction.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

CubeTheory posted:

I guess y'all have more trustworthy LGS environments. My experience in this area has been that every LGS has people that will abuse whatever they can to win, and we have caught many people openly cheating at the tables. The store owner jumped down my throat, actually yelling at me and a friend because the friend pointed out the dice for an incubate token had gotten pushed off the card. I was playing the store owner at the time and he started threatening to disqualify me and saying he could do it if he wanted. This was the same guy who repeatedly throughout the tournament would hand his hand to other players, INCLUDING MY SAME FRIEND, to show off how great it was and see their reaction.

yeah that sounds really lovely. in all the paper magic I've played over the past few years I can only think of a handful of bad experiences, and only 1 outright where someone was cheating.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
The new Ob Nixilis is REALLY GOOD. Here’s a commander brew with him at the lead but you know what else he does? Combos with All Will Be One. Idk current standard/pioneer metas but that’s gotta be good right?

https://youtu.be/dZnjd_KDvb8

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal
I've seen things including:

Friends signaling the opponents hand
A player running 5 Burning-Tree Emissary
A player purposefully not discarding cards to Mindlash Sliver, telling opponents it was target player, but only if he thought they didn't know or hadn't read the card themselves
Many players that would just draw extra cards, this was easy to catch by asking for hand counts
People who definitely knew better playing cards that just weren't legal in standard, in standard
A lot of purposeful slow play to try and timeout control decks in game three
Players that would just fetch whatever the gently caress with whatever fetch land because people rarely checked
This is less cheating I guess, but I've seen people do weird win trades where they would decide who's deck was better for the next round of a top 8 and just let that player win and do some prize splitting later.
Several players that I suspected were palming rares out of drafts, leaving packs short on cards. I only actually caught this once, but packs came up short pretty often.
I knew several players that if you passed on the cut at the beginning, would immediately just use their first fetch to stack the top of their deck.

These are off the top of the head, I'm sure I can remember some more poo poo over the last 20 years.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Why would you keep going

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal

HootTheOwl posted:

Why would you keep going

This was across like 4 different LGSs in the area. I wanted to play Magic.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Balon posted:

The new Ob Nixilis is REALLY GOOD. Here’s a commander brew with him at the lead but you know what else he does? Combos with All Will Be One. Idk current standard/pioneer metas but that’s gotta be good right?

https://youtu.be/dZnjd_KDvb8

Bobby Nickles is bonkers, yeah. I've been playing hbrawl on arena with him and the AWBO combo is cool, but usually the opponent is dead from nix getting huge and swinging in, or just death by a thousand cuts from all of the pings adding up

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
I personally revel in the moments where I can point out dishonesty and cheating to the point i spend more time figuring out if my opponent is cheating than paying attention to board states in comp rhel far too often. RCQ's are prime time for cheaters.

Pioneer is a crappy format. Too much random bullshit going on and not enough answers to things. A game one, turn zero leyline against rakdos is enough to set people off to the salt mine. The last RCQ I was playing in, two different players faced lethal and "leyline checked" me. poo poo is more wild than ever.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Cheating is badass, it's cool like wearing a white t shirt with cigarettes rolled into the sleeve, but it's a deck of card and every single is a black lotus, illegal counterfeits, but bad boys don't care and most people are too scared to call you out and don't know I'm friends with the owner.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan
theres a card with art that basically looks like an abstract vagina but i cant remeber the name. its either blue or white. i know one of you will know it instantly

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

The Nastier Nate posted:

theres a card with art that basically looks like an abstract vagina but i cant remeber the name. its either blue or white. i know one of you will know it instantly

https://scryfall.com/search?as=full&order=set&q=mirror
which one is it op

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

CubeTheory posted:

These are off the top of the head, I'm sure I can remember some more poo poo over the last 20 years.

Is it worth traveling to a decent store for in-person drafting? Because yeah, all those places sound toxic and unfun. (I'm personally not a fan of people who show their bomb hands to folks outside the game, let alone cheaters.)

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

The Nastier Nate posted:

Alris
Apr 20, 2007

Welcome to the Fantasy Zone!

Get ready!

The Nastier Nate posted:

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

no i dont think thats it, i think it was from an older set

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

i mean that definetly fits the bill

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Fajita Queen posted:

Oh gently caress yeah

Salvor_Hardin posted:

A saw a version that also played Murktide. Seems maybe viable

Flipping an Invasion of Tarkir with a second Invasion and then using the first flipped invasion to flip the second one seems cool lol.

I am an Arena baby but maybe I'll try making an Historic deck?

Edit: ok this kinda owns, viable curve with all the dragons you can cast for 2 and 3, Invasion with 3 dragons in hand lol

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 03:38 on May 16, 2023

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
you know what's a fun lil surprise dragon at 3? Dragon Turtle!

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
I get that MOMA will have pricing issues for singles, but why the heck is Nissa so expensive? Is it because everything else is actual chaff, that being reasonably playable catapults her beyond 20 bux?

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Nissa, as well as being a good commander card, is seeing play in Modern due to the evoke elementals and fetch lands

generatrix
Aug 8, 2008

Nothing hurts like a scrape

Goa Tse-tung posted:

I get that MOMA will have pricing issues for singles, but why the heck is Nissa so expensive? Is it because everything else is actual chaff, that being reasonably playable catapults her beyond 20 bux?

It's the one good card in the set.

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

I wanna make a rocco commander deck at least, been playing it in arena and its fun

Saucer Crab
Apr 3, 2009

generatrix posted:

It's the one good card in the set.

Every standard set the last 3 years.txt

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
I'm still on the hunt for a good competitive focused constructed podcast. Bolt the Bird with Nathan Steuer and Cody DeBos has some promise, Steuer is obviously a great player but his podcasting skills leave something to be desired at the moment.

I popped back into Arena Decklists with Gerry T and Bryan G to check out their thoughts on 3 year Standard. Still relentless negativity from people who I'm not convinced play the game anymore. It was an odd show where they seemed to like... agree with all of WotC's points in regards to improving tabletop standard but were so pedantic that they were desperately searching for reasons to be angry. I think they're literally just riding that shrinking Patreon money until it hits zero at this point, can't imagine that many people still find value in this show.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

AngryBooch posted:

I'm still on the hunt for a good competitive focused constructed podcast. Bolt the Bird with Nathan Steuer and Cody DeBos has some promise, Steuer is obviously a great player but his podcasting skills leave something to be desired at the moment.

I popped back into Arena Decklists with Gerry T and Bryan G to check out their thoughts on 3 year Standard. Still relentless negativity from people who I'm not convinced play the game anymore. It was an odd show where they seemed to like... agree with all of WotC's points in regards to improving tabletop standard but were so pedantic that they were desperately searching for reasons to be angry. I think they're literally just riding that shrinking Patreon money until it hits zero at this point, can't imagine that many people still find value in this show.

Eternal Glory pod is good for mostly Legacy, Dominaria’s Judgement is good for Modern/Pioneer, MTG Grindcast covers everything.

Could not agree with you more about ADL. Bryan seems like a nice enough guy but the negativity plus the weird semi-formal lawyer-talk soured me a few years ago and I haven’t checked in since.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

the cute to brute secret lair that was suppose to be a limited time only deal is still up...

AngryBooch posted:

yeah i'd like a list of mtg stuff to listen to as well.. i basically only listen to mtggoldfish and edhrec because neither of those podcasts will go off on weird rants or whatever.. but i still would like something about competitive formats..

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

It is a limited print run, they just printed an appropriate amount for once

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
Magic is going to only ban in standard once a year, ban will be announced prior to the fall set previews. Will also have an 'emergency' ban window 3 weeks after a set releases, do not expect to use.

Got at least a few more months of Rakdos dominance!

e; there will be a standard ban announcement at the end of the month

Kashuno fucked around with this message at 18:08 on May 16, 2023