Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: MokBa)

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

focus this time so i don't have to keep telling you idiots what happened
Lipstick Apathy
Just wanted to share that I nabbed a star fragment mid-skydive, game is fun af.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I just finished the first dungeon and I am overwhelmed by the number of options I have for what to do next. Goddamn, this game has a lot going on.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

icantfindaname posted:

Using pro controller or joy cons?

The Joy Cons. I do have a 3rd party controller I bought for cheap maybe I should try that.
Also the Royal Family Secret Passage practically feels like its own game. and then it just...ends in a dead end. Then you realize what's on the other side of the dead end and go 'oh, that makes sense'

Fish Appreciator
Nov 25, 2021
Finished the first dungeon. If the rest of the dungeons are half as spectacular, I would still call this game a monumental achievement.

Also, the Dragon Roost theme during the boss fight made me bust a fat nut.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

ChrisBTY posted:

The Joy Cons. I do have a 3rd party controller I bought for cheap maybe I should try that.
Also the Royal Family Secret Passage practically feels like its own game. and then it just...ends in a dead end. Then you realize what's on the other side of the dead end and go 'oh, that makes sense'

You may have missed a branching path or two, so maybe explore that cave system a bit more.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

This is amazing. Tally up another customer approval because it got me to the sky labyrinth I was so desperate to get to earlier. :krad:

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
If you want to know how to gain infinite height with just 2 objects that you can stand on: Raise object 1 with Ultrahand. Stand on Object 1, use Rewind on it, and raise Object 2 with Ultrahand. Stand on Object 2, use rewind on it, and raise Object 1 with Ultrahand. Repeat

This isn't particularly practical compared to just rocket shield but it's a "free" way to break any shine that requires you to gain height.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

You may have missed a branching path or two, so maybe explore that cave system a bit more.

Dammit I thought I explored it front and back!

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord

Fish Appreciator posted:

Finished the first dungeon. If the rest of the dungeons are half as spectacular, I would still call this game a monumental achievement.

Also, the Dragon Roost theme during the boss fight made me bust a fat nut.

First dungeon as in the Wind Temple? Curious what other people are doing for their first locations.

I didnt play Wind Waker so I am unfamiliar with the reference, but the one there kicked rear end

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Fake James posted:

First dungeon as in the Wind Temple? Curious what other people are doing for their first locations.

I didnt play Wind Waker so I am unfamiliar with the reference, but the one there kicked rear end

The game seems to push you toward doing the regional phenomena in a particular order, and I think most people are following that order. It feels like there's a more linear progression of enemy strength this time around when following the intended order, if I'm not imagining things.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

uh, I accidentally found the master sword lol

wow

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

The game seems to push you toward doing the regional phenomena in a particular order, and I think most people are following that order. It feels like there's a more linear progression of enemy strength this time around when following the intended order, if I'm not imagining things.

What's the order besides Rito first?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

RatHat posted:

I still haven't done Rito yet :shobon: I did fire first and now I'm going through the water temple. I'm not really doing poo poo in any order.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

RatHat posted:

After that, Purah suggests you visit Goron City. No idea what comes next.

MiracleFlare
Mar 27, 2012
If you keep checking in with Purah each time you finish an area, her suggested order is Rito, Goron, Zora, Gerudo. The second one also gets some nudging from an NPC that's temporarily in town but that trigger might be just area progress in general and not a specific one.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I know I did Zora first and was fighting Construct IIIs. That was pretty painful.

Still mostly encounter II and IIIs out there. I have some gear that needs Captain I parts and I'm probably going to head back to Tutorial Island to get those.

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world

Khanstant posted:

You have to look up the solution to tutorial puzzles?

A couple pages back, but no, I mean on the mainland, a lot of shrines are based on understanding what you can do with the physics engine. So like, Tukarok Shrine you're intended to attach the boards to the wheels in such a way that it basically becomes a paddle boat, but I would have needed to know that was even something they accounted for in a game. I think it's the first time I've seen that, so I kinda just janked my way to the solution, but I may not have known that was possible if I didn't look up a solution, and it's really cool.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
What's a good source for money? What are some things I can sell because they won't be used for crafting or upgrades?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I just did a shrine where I could use alternative methods for the first two parts, and then for the final one I had to figure out what mechanic they were trying to teach me all in one go.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

the stable owners also have their dialogue change to point you in the direction of major questlines and features.

Jose Oquendo posted:

What's a good source for money? What are some things I can sell because they won't be used for crafting or upgrades?

gems and luminous stones
there are caves you can find that are absolutely stuffed with the latter and it adds up fast

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

What gives you slow-mo arrows? Is that Rito? I might have to do that first because a puzzle in the water temple (the spinning thing) seems like it requires those.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Rageaholic posted:

What gives you slow-mo arrows? Is that Rito? I might have to do that first because a puzzle in the water temple (the spinning thing) seems like it requires those.

What spinny thing

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Steve Yun posted:

What spinny thing
There's a spinning thing that looks like a dreidel on top of a little tower and I think you have to shoot an arrow inside it to open something but I can't get an arrow in there without bullet time or whatever.

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

Rageaholic posted:

I went to the water temple first, and kept wondering what the intended solution for that was. I eventually found out that just firing a couple water arrows to clear the sludge, then spamming plain arrows at the rotating part until one happens to slip through the opening at the right time works, but it definitely felt like I was supposed to be doing something clever instead.

MiracleFlare posted:

The spinny thing is a rock with a switch inside that spins really fast, I used bullet time too to hit it
And somehow I completely forgot that was an option. I spent far too long thinking the bubble launcher firing away from the spinny thing was somehow the key.

Robot Hobo fucked around with this message at 23:08 on May 15, 2023

MiracleFlare
Mar 27, 2012

Rageaholic posted:

Steve Yun posted:

What spinny thing

The spinny thing is a rock with a switch inside that spins really fast, I used bullet time too to hit it

But also, that ability isn't tied to any temple and is already there, you have to pull out your bow while in mid-air

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
Cross posting, but if you're curious what this game looks like to the color blind, some people tell me it's interesting, so I try to make effort posts about it:

Boba Pearl posted:

So I've been working on color blindness stuff with reshade, and there's essentially two theories of thought when it comes to color correction, there's "hue adjustment" where you take every color and adjust them to be better in the range of visual register for the color impairment, and daltonization, which tries to create "bands" of saturation and contrast to algorithmically create contrasts across the bands. However, some of those fancy Daltonization methods have this annoying issue where the colors in the images look super weird for both regular folks with normal color vision and those with abnormal color vision problems. Like my color vision deficiency comes from head trauma, and doesn't quite work with all the methods. So I've been comparing the two, hue shifted (the values just pushed into the color register) and Daltonized (the values are algorithmically picked,) and here's what I got. An ability to show the reason I have to use a custom filter, instead of daltonized hasn't really been possible before I found this github

https://github.com/andrewwillmott/colour-blind-luts

So for the first time, I've been able to show why I hate the "stock" color blind correctness vs a hand made approach.

Tears of the kingdom possible spoiler, it's the first area you get into.

Normal \ Corrected \ Daltonized

Normal \ Corrected \ Daltonized

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

MiracleFlare posted:

If you keep checking in with Purah each time you finish an area, her suggested order is Rito, Goron, Zora, Gerudo. The second one also gets some nudging from an NPC that's temporarily in town but that trigger might be just area progress in general and not a specific one.

Joke's on her I'm doing Gerudo second. Though I might change my mind since I heard Fire Sage was good for bomb walls and cannons have too much risk of a backslash for me.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

MiracleFlare posted:

And in typical, traditional me fashion I immediately went to the "last" area first. It wasn't really that bad to manage though. I'd say it was legacy skill from BotW but I hadn't played that in several years.

The desert is rad though y'all should go visit.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

YoshiOfYellow posted:

everywhere is rad

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Augus posted:

gems and luminous stones
there are caves you can find that are absolutely stuffed with the latter and it adds up fast

Those aren't needed for anything like upgrading your armor?

HellOnEarth
Nov 7, 2005

Now that's good jerky!
I ran into a strange glitch - if I try and hold an item from the menu using the X button, Link makes the item-holding pose but it says holding 0/5. I don’t know how I did this.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Might have been asked, but I didn't see it in the last few pages:

I kind of bounced off BOTW because, for all the neat mechanics, I didn't find the actual world that interesting to explore and it felt like outside of a couple notable locations, any potentially interesting thing just ended up being another shrine or Korok seed. How is TOTK in that regard? Is there more unique interesting stuff in the world to find?

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

YoshiOfYellow posted:

And in typical, traditional me fashion I immediately went to the "last" area first. It wasn't really that bad to manage though. I'd say it was legacy skill from BotW but I hadn't played that in several years.

Absolutely. Felt like a genius when I discovered Dazzlefruit makes Gibdohs vulnerable after not dealing much damage. Also hot drat their bones, they might be broken if Forest Dweller gear can refresh them.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

HellOnEarth posted:

I ran into a strange glitch - if I try and hold an item from the menu using the X button, Link makes the item-holding pose but it says holding 0/5. I don’t know how I did this.

That's base, you can do that anytime you press x so you don't have to open the menu the first time to grab stuff, you can just mash X and then put things in your hand with B

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009
Is the gutenbac shrine supposed to be difficult to find or am I missing some obvious path? Nothing promotes exploring and toying around than a time limit on everything you're doing.

Edit, had to look up a guide, apparently I went past the path that reaches it when I was flying around the area on over of those big blocks and some fans, and got stuck on the other side of the shrine without a way back

PageMaster fucked around with this message at 23:45 on May 15, 2023

HellOnEarth
Nov 7, 2005

Now that's good jerky!

Boba Pearl posted:

That's base, you can do that anytime you press x so you don't have to open the menu the first time to grab stuff, you can just mash X and then put things in your hand with B

Oh! That makes sense. It sure looks weird for Link to be holding nothing though.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

...wait a minute, bullet time arrows is something I already have?! :stare: lol

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Lord Hydronium posted:

I kind of bounced off BOTW because, for all the neat mechanics, I didn't find the actual world that interesting to explore and it felt like outside of a couple notable locations, any potentially interesting thing just ended up being another shrine or Korok seed. How is TOTK in that regard? Is there more unique interesting stuff in the world to find?

there is way more than just shrines and korok seeds to find here.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Updog Scully posted:

Good god, the score must be one of the finest in any video game. It's loving astounding.
I enjoy whenever they work the TotK main theme motif into a moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Lord Hydronium posted:

TotK is much better in this regard. There's still a lot of repeated content types, including korok seeds and shrines, but there are new types of content scattered around the world (usually involving physics puzzles), as well as just way more quests and things to do in the world. There's a lot of interesting content here.