Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Hooplah posted:

something i've wondered- if you remove the Ice Cubes from the glass, is that no longer Ice T and is now just T? is it Mister T?

Vanilla Ice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

JosefStalinator posted:

Please don't take a picture.

:golfclap:

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Finally one of these I have very strong opinions on: Fixed point math is so much better than floating point math. You can pick your precision, and performance is so much better than floating point math. I've been working on homebrew Sega Genesis games recently, and it's so nice to be back in fixed point math world.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Meh, just ROUND the number to whatever decimal you care about. What's the worst that can happen?

Borscht
Jun 4, 2011
Counterpoint:
https://youtu.be/HJWYzmJslis

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I'm gonna round the yen to the nearest dollar

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Chainclaw posted:

Finally one of these I have very strong opinions on: Fixed point math is so much better than floating point math. You can pick your precision, and performance is so much better than floating point math. I've been working on homebrew Sega Genesis games recently, and it's so nice to be back in fixed point math world.

It's upsetting when programming stuff comes up in threads, because I realise I am very stupid.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Tree Bucket posted:

It's upsetting when programming stuff comes up in threads, because I realise I am very stupid.

You just have a lot to learn about a subject. Don’t denigrate yourself like that.

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

Tree Bucket posted:

As a full stack developer, I can say that programming is more an indicator of patience than intelligence.

It's similar to trying to give instructions to a child on how to cut a sandwich with a butter knife who thinks he's being funny by doing things EXACTLY as you've specified just to see it drive you mad when he does it wrong. So you spend all day refining your instructions to the point where the little poo poo can't possibly get it wrong, and then mom comes over (QA) and hands him a spoon.

Besides, we Google how to do everything anyway.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.

Tree Bucket posted:

hahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

have you every actually gone back and looked at your own art dude? you are very very smart.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Programming is, in fact, very stupid.

"A monad is just a monoid in the category of endofunctors" – statement dreamt up by the utterly deranged

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
I tried learning Turbo Pascal in junior high. I don't know who Pascal is, but he can go gently caress himself.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Tree Bucket posted:

Here's a pro-tip:

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Hooplah posted:

something i've wondered- if you remove the Ice Cubes from the glass, is that no longer Ice T and is now just T? is it Mister T?

that picture specifically is GP T

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Antigravitas posted:

"A monad is just a monoid in the category of endofunctors" – statement dreamt up by the utterly deranged

lmao

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ae9EKCyI1xU

Tree Bucket posted:

Much of it is specific knowledge that you probably simply have never had a need for, and some of it is advanced mathematics which is caused by eldritch gods interfering with your brain cells directly and is not a thing most humans can or should do. Either way I wouldn't feel bad about it.

OwlFancier has a new favorite as of 00:38 on May 16, 2023

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Antigravitas posted:

A monad is a gonad but there's only one of them.

Unrelated:

Sound on:
https://i.imgur.com/e38dv1N.mp4

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

This is not what bears do with trees.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

OwlFancier posted:

lol moron there's literally photographic evidence of bears doing that with trees right there in the image you quoted

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

OwlFancier posted:

They've move on to harder drugs.

Amphigory
Feb 6, 2005

Ooo, this hits home

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Tree Bucket posted:

If it makes you feel any better, not many people are very good at programming threads

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Desert Bus posted:

hahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

have you every actually gone back and looked at your own art dude? you are very very smart.

Thanks dude. Art sort of happens by itself, at least, I just need to get in its way so it can do its thing.

Data Graham posted:

If it makes you feel any better, not many people are very good at programming threads

I sense a pun, but lack the necessary knowledge to understand said pun. I shall respond with a guarded sensible chuckleTM

OwlFancier posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ae9EKCyI1xU

Much of it is specific knowledge that you probably simply have never had a need for, and some of it is advanced mathematics which is caused by eldritch gods interfering with your brain cells directly and is not a thing most humans can or should do. Either way I wouldn't feel bad about it.

It must be interesting seeing the world from the eldritch braincell perspective. Or horrifying, don't know which one.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

No, I said ho-made soup.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

I hate it, thanks.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I would participate in the stock market if making stock actually got you credit there.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Tree Bucket posted:

poo poo, dude, I wouldn't wish "knowing programming stuff" on anyone who isn't already into it. It's hard and frustrating enough when you are into it!

Computers are very stupid, and I think it's just fine if not everyone has to learn how to talk then into behaving properly

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎
programmers can have little a fast inverse square root as a treat

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

e: Seriouspost :siren: seizure warning for possibly flashing image :siren:

10 POKE53281,INT(RND(0)*255+1):GOTO10

Nebrilos
Oct 9, 2012

Might be a good place to buy clothes, anyway.

Jim DiGriz
Apr 28, 2008

Maybe there is no room for guys like us.
Grimey Drawer

3D Megadoodoo posted:

e: Seriouspost :siren: seizure warning for possibly flashing image :siren:

10 POKE53281,INT(RND(0)*255+1):GOTO10

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Tree Bucket posted:

I sense a pun, but lack the necessary knowledge to understand said pun. I shall respond with a guarded sensible chuckleTM

Ever heard of multithreading? It's what G*mers talk about a bunch.

Consider a program spinning up two independent branches of itself that can work in parallel to speed things up. Let's call these threads A and B.

You'd like to track their progress, so after a unit of work is done, they should increase a variable V by one.

V starts at 0
A starts work
B starts work
B finishes and reads V
B calculates 0+1
A finishes (almost) at the same time and also reads V
B writes its 1 into V
A calculates 0+1
A writes its 1 into V

V is now at 1, but you'd expect it to be 2

Congratulations, you hosed up threading. Have fun debugging a miscalculation that only appears when two threads finish their work at the exact same time. That means it usually never happens on your developer machine while you are watching (your debugger is influencing how fast code runs and how its threads are sequenced), you'll only see it happen in production where you have no tools to analyse it.

e:

Antigravitas has a new favorite as of 08:34 on May 16, 2023

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

sad lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015