Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Do the newest NVME SSD's really suffer from overheating, or do ssd benchmarks slow them down given enough time? My guess is that even a modern game streaming assets to a GPU constantly isn't going to cook a SSD.

Also, last time I checked 2.5" SSD's are basically NVME sized inside. If you really want performance pci cards are there, IMHO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.

Less Fat Luke posted:

It'd be cool if cases had slots in them for M2s like SD cards. That being said I'll take sticking M2's in a motherboard over 2.5" SATA drives with separate cables for power and data, this is way cleaner.

If you're willing to spend about $100-$150 Icy Dock has you covered. They also have front-bay versions too that you can connect to your M.2 slots on the board with an Oculink to M.2 adapter.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
Huh that’s really cool!

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

LRADIKAL posted:

Do the newest NVME SSD's really suffer from overheating, or do ssd benchmarks slow them down given enough time? My guess is that even a modern game streaming assets to a GPU constantly isn't going to cook a SSD.

Yes and quickly, though he was running it without a heatsink.

quote:

Also, last time I checked 2.5" SSD's are basically NVME sized inside. If you really want performance pci cards are there, IMHO.

Both U.2 and M.2 provide (up to) four PCIe lanes, so there should be enough bandwidth for some decent performance. (2.5" SATA SSDs are kind of pointless, though.)

Less Fat Luke posted:

It'd be cool if cases had slots in them for M2s like SD cards. That being said I'll take sticking M2's in a motherboard over 2.5" SATA drives with separate cables for power and data, this is way cleaner.
I'd rather route a few cables than having to take the CPU cooler off to get to the PCIe unlock tab so I can get the GPU out so I can get to the M.2 slot hidden underneath it.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
U2 is dead, Enterprise server SSDs are now all about E1

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Pablo Bluth posted:

U2 is dead, Enterprise server SSDs are now all about E1

Oh those look nice.
I'm not an enterprise, though; my needs are for blinging out a few pets, not a herd of cattle.

I mostly care about U.2 because I needed a way to get at least 8TB of mirrored SSD storage into a repurposed workstation, and 2.5" Kioxia U.2 drives plus a tri-mode controller was the only thing that really fit my criteria while also being available in-country. I haven't actually received all the parts yet, so it may have been a complete waste of money, but so far I'm carefully optimistic. Besides, it's a rounding error to the department paying for them.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

LRADIKAL posted:

https://www.pcgamer.com/you-know-m2-ssds-suck-right/

Lol, bone head does not know what he is talking about. Wants U.2 to be the standard because there's more room for storage and heat sinks.

My previous motherboard had sata express and all it did was wasting space and pcie lanes. M.2 thermal issues can be easily mitigated and a 16 pcie lane to four m.2 card is barely bigger than a single u.2 drive.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
Would be nice to just have more pcie slots that you can put m.2 cards into instead of all these m.2 slots under all of your cards that you can’t use for anything else

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Wild EEPROM posted:

Would be nice to just have more pcie slots that you can put m.2 cards into instead of all these m.2 slots under all of your cards that you can’t use for anything else

Indeed. The single M.2 cards are cheap as chips, too.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

Computer viking posted:

Oh those look nice.
I'm not an enterprise, though; my needs are for blinging out a few pets, not a herd of cattle.

I mostly care about U.2 because I needed a way to get at least 8TB of mirrored SSD storage into a repurposed workstation, and 2.5" Kioxia U.2 drives plus a tri-mode controller was the only thing that really fit my criteria while also being available in-country. I haven't actually received all the parts yet, so it may have been a complete waste of money, but so far I'm carefully optimistic. Besides, it's a rounding error to the department paying for them.
The problem is going to be the long term supply of U2 form factor SSDs, if enterprise goes E1/E3.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Pablo Bluth posted:

The problem is going to be the long term supply of U2 form factor SSDs, if enterprise goes E1/E3.

Again, that's sort of an enterprise problem; I don't really need stable supply lines into the future as long as I can get one or two as spare parts. But it's a very reasonable point.

I assume the actual interface is another repackaging of PCIe lanes, so theoretically someone could make a way to mount these in a desktop chassis, maybe even at a reasonable price. But I'm not holding my breath.

That's one of the great things about the U.2 drives; you just need 2.5" slots, a controller card, and some (annoyingly hard to source) cables. Anything in a completely new form factor, especially anything as inconvenient as E.1L, is just not going to happen outside the rarefied circles of "we designed a new rackmount server around this".

Computer viking fucked around with this message at 21:50 on May 15, 2023

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

What do people like for intel boards these days for z690 or z790? Gonna be paired with an intel i3 13th gen running unraid. Thinking of the MSI boards. Budget under $300 I guess?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Less Fat Luke posted:

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

Splinter posted:

Ended up with ... 4x16TB Seagate Exos drives (due to a great deal on 2 packs which of course were packed like poo poo by amazon and will probably die immediately)

This ended up being hilariously worse than I imagined. Finally opened these this weekend to begin the install and all the drives were noticeably dented. Returned them and now have 4x14TB individual drives showing up today which hopefully are properly packaged this time.

The packaging:

Drives are stacked directly on top of each other with about an inch of space for movement both side-to-side and up/down.

The drives:

power crystals posted:

I ran storage spaces for years and it worked but the performance was absolute poo poo. Like worse than the individual drives would have managed. If you really don't want to learn linux or whatever it'll do the job but it should be towards the bottom of the list of preferences.

When I was researching Storage Spaces I saw a lot of reports of terrible performance when using parity, but also that very recently people finally figured out the issue and are now able to get reasonable performance from a parity setup. tl;dr is ensuring the NTFS cluster size plays well with the interleave size of the array. See here and here.

Even ignoring that issue though, the general consensus I was saw on Storage Spaces was pretty much:

Aware posted:

Storage spaces is absolute garbage, do literally anything else.

so I'm not planning on going that route.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
Think I found what will be replacing the microserver once it starts getting tired in a few years, these things look like little power houses, can even get them with a mobile 3050ti and 10gbit ethernet :eyepop:

https://youtu.be/bPs5XGBoXr0

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

kri kri posted:

What do people like for intel boards these days for z690 or z790? Gonna be paired with an intel i3 13th gen running unraid. Thinking of the MSI boards. Budget under $300 I guess?

Asus prime series isn't terrible at your budget. I have a z690p wifi d4 and a friend recently purchased a z790p wifi, no big issues to report beside the bios updates wiping the cmos data.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
https://youtu.be/rEAfX75nReg

I was pretty skeptical on the addition of ZFS to unraid but it looks good. I also like the new cache settings. I’m going to wait a while to upgrade and ill only be using ZFS for my cache pool.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

The new way Unraid handles primary/secondary storage instead of “cache” is way easier to understand.

I may look into shuffling around some data and formatting 4x10TB into a zfs pool. I’m just not quite sure I really need the performance at the cost of all the drives having to spin up.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Can you mess with the Unraid base image? Say make it load additional kernel modules and install additional packages to it?

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.

Combat Pretzel posted:

Can you mess with the Unraid base image? Say make it load additional kernel modules and install additional packages to it?

You can definitely get additional packages to load with it. I did this to get Pulseway to work with my server, had to put the package into a specific folder on the boot USB and it starts with the boot process, which is what I think you're talking about (I'm not that familiar with Linux). There's also a plugin called Nerd Tools that has a ton of common packages as well that you can then install and manage from the UI.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Combat Pretzel posted:

Yep, you can modify the flash boot and run all sort of scripts or whatever. NerdTools also gives you a lot of flexibility, and there's a huge community of users developing all sorts of great plugins and such.

I have my server pull a keyfile password from my webhosting provider so it autostarts my encrypted drives without human intervention. If my server were ever stolen, I could go out to my webhosting service and pull the keyfile so it couldn't be downloaded.

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 16:46 on May 18, 2023

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
How much leeway does Unraid give with the usb license stick? Like if I clone it and set up a new server if I want to continue without interruption and just rsync the data over the network? Or should I just bite the bullet and move the drives over and then copy the contents to my new disks?

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

I'm not really sure, but nothing is stopping you from getting a trial license to move content, then once it's moved, you can add your license to the new instance.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Oh that's true, might give that a shot.

10GbE would be really helpful in this situation :haw:

actually would probably saturate the drives and it wouldn't matter.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Corb3t posted:

I'm not really sure, but nothing is stopping you from getting a trial license to move content, then once it's moved, you can add your license to the new instance.

IIRC this was actually their official recommendation for migrating to a new live host from their old wiki, I can't find anything in their new documentation for this now though. Also, you can extend the trial from 30 days to 45 automatically if needed.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

priznat posted:

How much leeway does Unraid give with the usb license stick? Like if I clone it and set up a new server if I want to continue without interruption and just rsync the data over the network? Or should I just bite the bullet and move the drives over and then copy the contents to my new disks?

iirc the license is tied to the GUID of the USB drive, which is why it can be a bit finicky on commodity grade USB drives. My guess is you'd clone it, it would then throw a shitfit about a mismatched GUID and prompt you to tie your license to the new USB drive's GUID.

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

I'll keep chucking bombs at you til you fall off that ledge!
Grimey Drawer
I have read but not tried that you can use a USB microSD reader and replace the microSD because the GUID is tied to the reader.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

It figures as soon as I migrate everything off of unraid and onto truenas, unraid comes out with ZFS

:cripes:

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

priznat posted:

You can get a 30 trial license, copy everything over to the new array, shut down the old server and swap the boot USB to the new server, then import the new array

also 100% do this, it’ll save a lot of headache

Smashing Link posted:

I have read but not tried that you can use a USB microSD reader and replace the microSD because the GUID is tied to the reader.
I used a high write cycle industrial SD card too, no problems yet after 3 years

e.pilot fucked around with this message at 19:44 on May 18, 2023

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

e.pilot posted:

You can get a 30 trial license, copy everything over to the new array, shut down the old server and swap the boot USB to the new server, then import the new array

Excellent, this sounds like the plan!

if I have 3x14TB (plus a couple SSDs for cache) is the best idea to just make one zfs volume and then just create folders within? It's mostly media stuff so probably won't bother turning on compression either.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

Beve Stuscemi posted:

It figures as soon as I migrate everything off of unraid and onto truenas, unraid comes out with ZFS

:cripes:

OOC what does unraid provide that you’d miss vs truenas?

I’ve used unraid but I have tended to treat it as distinct from TrueNAS (and other NAS adjacent) stuff.

With unraid, I just threw a bunch of drives I didn’t care about into a machine and let it serve media off of there. It’s more of a convenient file server than a real data storage thing for me.

My TrueNAS machine is the first hop in a bunch of my backup stuff (backup to NAS, NAS archives to cloud). I expect a higher degree of reliability in it so it’s running a server processor, has ECC ram, and I want simple raid rebuilding.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

priznat posted:

Excellent, this sounds like the plan!

if I have 3x14TB (plus a couple SSDs for cache) is the best idea to just make one zfs volume and then just create folders within? It's mostly media stuff so probably won't bother turning on compression either.
My understanding is you can’t use zfs in the main array, that is parity only. You can make a zfs pool though and treat it as another array. It sounds like Unraid is moving away from the “cache” and “array” nomenclature and will just call things “pools” going forward, with the choice to either use zfs or another filesystem with parity, depending on your use case. I haven’t tried the 6.12 RC yet though.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
Man look like google is finally cracking down on google workspace and they're gonna restrict my unlimited storage for $20/month to 5TB (for $20, 5 more for every $20 iirc) :(

Whats the next cheapest offsite storage option for dozen or two TB of storage? DropBox Advanced and try to share it woth some people? What are you people with large collections doing, just ZFS with a lot of disks and hoping for the best? A separate backup machine thats mostly offline?

Related to that last point whats the lifetime of HDDs that are mostly powered off? Wondering feasibility of buying a second enclosure or something and just spinning it up once a month, I know standard hard drives have some inherent shelf life which is why tape drives are still a thing but im not sure how long that is.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.
SpaceInvader One who does a lot of good videos on unraid put up a video yesterday showing a lot of what's new in 6.12 including some of the ZFS stuff.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rEAfX75nReg
You can make a ZFS pool, or format array drives as ZFS but as a single disk pool only, still relying on unraid's parity drive for redundancy.

Unraid has already put out a new RC version since, and personally I am waiting at least ~2 weeks from any final release before updating. I'll probably update the SSD I use for appdata and media metadata/posters to ZFS, not sure about anything else just yet.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
What happened to 5400RPM hard disks? Why don't they exist anymore?

I'd figure that less heat / power would be desirable for NAS disks, especially when you don't really need the lower latency, but it seems like nobody makes bigger 5400 RPM disks. Hell, the most recent 5400 RPM disks that I can remember were when WD labelled a batch of 7200 RPM disks as 5400 for mysterious reasons: https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2020/09/western-digital-is-trying-to-redefine-the-word-rpm/

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

I can format any new drives being added to my Unraid parity array as zfs once it's rolled out and the bugs have been ironed out, yes? That allows me to have the benefits of zfs without needing to create a new pool with matching drives or whatever.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice
Still not sure what a ZFS pool of 1disk does or why anyone would bother.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.
Some of the benefits of ZFS rely on there being a pool. You aren't for example going to be able to correct bit rot errors on your single disk ZFS pool added to an unraid array. I think unraid also plans to add more ZFS features over time and not everything will be in the initial 6.12 release?

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

withoutclass posted:

I guess it would have checksuming to let you know if you've got bitrot (though it couldn't do anything about it) and it could do its ZFS caching.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Corb3t posted:

Yep, you can modify the flash boot and run all sort of scripts or whatever. NerdTools also gives you a lot of flexibility, and there's a huge community of users developing all sorts of great plugins and such.
Interesting. I guess I have to tinker with it before deploying. I essentially need it to load a bunch of kernel modules and then install nvmetcli, which is a Python tool that depends on configshell_fb. So that I can turn the NAS into an NVMe-oF target.

withoutclass posted:

It's gonna support pools with mirrors and RAIDZ vdevs eventually.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 21:44 on May 18, 2023