Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fatherboxx)

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
You also have to realize that this is the greatest commercial for every countries weapon systems ever given. If you are looking to export weapons you are looking to give your best poo poo to Ukraine to use in the field.

There is nothing that sells your poo poo better than successful usage in the field. This has been proven time and time again through history. It doesn’t matter what kinda demos you see or how well it is tested as there is a huge difference between use in a safe environment than in the field in a active warzone. Countries tend to go towards procuring equipment that has been proven in the field, especially if they have a limited budget.

For the UK this is especially important as their domestic arms industry has fallen by the wayside in the last 30 years. Their stuff making big splashes helps make sales to other militaries. It’s the same with the US, however much we have spent in material to Ukraine the amount of sales we will receive from elsewhere will outweigh that greatly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

Djarum posted:

You also have to realize that this is the greatest commercial for every countries weapon systems ever given. If you are looking to export weapons you are looking to give your best poo poo to Ukraine to use in the field.

There is nothing that sells your poo poo better than successful usage in the field. This has been proven time and time again through history. It doesn’t matter what kinda demos you see or how well it is tested as there is a huge difference between use in a safe environment than in the field in a active warzone. Countries tend to go towards procuring equipment that has been proven in the field, especially if they have a limited budget.

For the UK this is especially important as their domestic arms industry has fallen by the wayside in the last 30 years. Their stuff making big splashes helps make sales to other militaries. It’s the same with the US, however much we have spent in material to Ukraine the amount of sales we will receive from elsewhere will outweigh that greatly.

Consider Taiwan and Japan, both of whom have loosened their purse strings to begin a massive rearmament program.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Ynglaur posted:

I'd be curious to hear from UK Goons how much the UK considers reparing for a potential war to protect Taiwan.

It's not really a thing. Liz Truss has brought it to the fore by wanting to visit and shout about it but broadly the response has been "oh god why did they let her out again???" or "why would you piss off China?" Other that that its mostly just slow news day items about an Aukus phone call or whatever stunt the Chinese navy pulls or life on an aircraft carrier.

I suspect the government are thinking about it a little harder, we like TSMC too and we are ever the US's pet, but they'll be wary about committing because remember last time we let the US drag us into a war halfway across the planet on the grounds of freedom and liberty and western values and poo poo?

Ultimately we'll probably end up involved but it's definitely not political gold like Ukraine.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Kraftwerk posted:

Consider Taiwan and Japan, both of whom have loosened their purse strings to begin a massive rearmament program.

Japan has already low-key had one of the world's most powerful militaries for decades, particularly their "navy*." Under Koizumi and Abe the mask started to slip more and more and I would be willing to bet that one of the knock-on effects of Putin's War will be that the next remotely charismatic prime minister is finally able to push through a repeal of Article 9.

*I mean hell, they've got a helicopter carrier "destroyer" that's being openly refitted to carry F-35's

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Kraftwerk posted:

Exactly. Ukraine is part sales pitch, part testing ground for everyone around right now.

China is no doubt trying to get every bit of information they can out of it but they are no doubt wishing they could be involved as well. Though I do think that China is as much of a paper tiger as Russia. As we have seen it doesn’t make them any less dangerous but I don’t think their capabilities are nearly as good as they claim.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Paladinus posted:

He's 'fine'.

Thank God he's there to provide guidance for A Guy in A Forest

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

the banality of evil

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

steinrokkan posted:

Thank God he's there to provide guidance for A Guy in A Forest

It's a very urgent meeting with the military.

Lukashenko posted:

It's been three days since the events next to us, I mean in the Bryansk region, when four aircrafts were downed. We are forced to react. Since then we have been on high alert, I mean our troops

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006
it's not a real crisis until mini-batka is deployed

(hey, he's 18 now, time to command the Royal Guard)

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

Lum_ posted:

it's not a real crisis until mini-batka is deployed

Is that the same son that went all tacticool spetsznatz wannabe during the 2020 protests? He's at least a teenager by now and I assume he's supposed to take over for Luka but is too young right now so if Luka dies any time soon I have no idea if anyone is waiting in the wings to take over.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
If anyone is going to take over, it's going to be Natalya Kachanova, current Speaker of the Council of the Republic of Belarus, or one of the military/KGB higher-ups. I know it's funny that Kolya looks a bit like Joffrey, but he's not going to inherit the throne, lmao. Please, expand your frame of reference.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

Charliegrs posted:

Is that the same son that went all tacticool spetsznatz wannabe during the 2020 protests? He's at least a teenager by now and I assume he's supposed to take over for Luka but is too young right now so if Luka dies any time soon I have no idea if anyone is waiting in the wings to take over.

Yep! He was 16 at the time. Our mini-batka is growing up so fast.

Apparently he's considered something of a heartthrob in Russia.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2020/08/29/alexander-lukashenko-brings-16-year-old-son-onto-frontline-protests/

quote:

One Russian woman, referencing the popularity of potatoes in Belarussian cuisine, declared: “I want mashed potatoes for breakfast, fried potatoes for lunch, and Kolya Lukashenko for dinner."

Paladinus posted:

If anyone is going to take over, it's going to be Natalya Kachanova, current Speaker of the Council of the Republic of Belarus, or one of the military/KGB higher-ups. I know it's funny that Kolya looks a bit like Joffrey, but he's not going to inherit the throne, lmao. Please, expand your frame of reference.

Oh, I'm not being serious at all. In the event of his father's death I think you would literally see Looney Tunes-style motion clouds as he runs away to Monaco or somewhere.

Lum_ fucked around with this message at 16:38 on May 15, 2023

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
In the case of Lukashenko's sudden death or incapacitation, there will be a GRU controlled takeover. I'm pretty sure this exact plan is in the leaked documents from a few months ago.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Nitrox posted:

In the case of Lukashenko's sudden death or incapacitation, there will be a GRU controlled takeover. I'm pretty sure this exact plan is in the leaked documents from a few months ago.

I wonder how that would work in reality. The only reason why he wasn’t toppled before was because Putin came in to rescue him. I don’t think that would happen again.

I think when Luka dies it is going to be chaos there for awhile.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

Djarum posted:

I think when Luka dies it is going to be chaos there for awhile.

Judging by his how he's gone so far with his stratagems, Putin will try and take it.

It will go as well as Ukraine did.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
He has a far smaller army, and can ill-afford to redeploy troops from Ukraine. Who holds the Belarusian army's loyalty?

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Ynglaur posted:

He has a far smaller army, and can ill-afford to redeploy troops from Ukraine. Who holds the Belarusian army's loyalty?

probably much more about the Belarusian security apparatus than the army specifically. As long as that remains intact succession is probably a lot more straightforward than people are acting like it will be.

i'd also ofc defer to the Belarusians in here. anglo world in general knows basically nothing about what goes on in Belarus

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
By definition states like Belarus and Russia, where power is all concentrated in a circle of loyalty to one man, can't really have a designated successor publicly known. At that point people start developing their own loyalty to him and he becomes an independent power base. It's why dictators often have their sons take over because that's generally the one person who won't oppose you while you're alive.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Looking like more evidence of an Kinzhal interception among tonight's barrage.

https://twitter.com/Osinttechnical/status/1658291162354941956?s=20

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007

fatherboxx posted:

https://twitter.com/NataliaAntonova/status/1658094643244834820?t=Wv4l8GHxHt09WxubgAiV0A&s=19

Love how PR-obsessed Shoigu utterly failed to cover his son-in-law youtube lifestyle blogging obsession - even more I love how seething and malding True Patriots have failed to make even a dent in him and get that story going. They try to make donation runs for plate carriers and boots while this guy parties like it is 2013

This is a pretty nothing story, but wholly gently caress check out the latest Orthodox Church in Moscow consecrated a few years ago and dedicated to the armed forces of Russia. This was surely designed by a WH40K nerd

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Beffer posted:

This is a pretty nothing story, but wholly gently caress check out the latest Orthodox Church in Moscow consecrated a few years ago and dedicated to the armed forces of Russia. This was surely designed by a WH40K nerd

Jesus doesn't have an AK in that. What the hell?

The tightness of the Russian orthodox church to the regime is a bit of a worrying thing, but This pew report from 2018 seems to indicate that although quite a lot of Russians are religious that those who are usually don't consider it that important to their lives. Seems like the Russian Orthodox leaders still do hold a lot of sway though.

OperaMouse
Oct 30, 2010

Isn't there are also an aspect with the extremely atheistic communist regime, so being religious refers to prefer the tsarist era over the communist era?

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006
Given how many Russian Orthodox leaders were KGB agents it's kind of a wash.

Orthodoxy established as the state religion's very convenient since Putinism isn't an ideology as much as an excuse to steal and beat people. It helps when you have an approving priest giving the OK signal.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Beffer posted:

New Owlcat game lookin' good.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Polish Border Guard used to publish daily numbers for PL-UA crossings. They haven't in a while, but the recent total since Feb 24th 2022 is:
11.889 mio entered Poland, 10.095 mio entered Ukraine. Of course the data doesn't mean there's 1.1 mio Ukrainian citizens in Poland now as someone could easily travel via Slovakia or Romania, or move further west. Just interesting observation for scale of movement.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

Beffer posted:

Ah yes, the one that had Putin, Shoigu et al.

And known fan of churches, Stalin

with a rebel yell she QQd
Jan 18, 2007

Villain

Well well...

https://telex.hu/english/2023/05/16/hungary-blocked-eu-from-giving-ukraine-eur500-million-for-weapons

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Viktor also has recently compared the EU to Adolf Hitler, which is not only :lol:, but also probably means Hungary won't be in the EU anymore for long

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Libluini posted:

Viktor also has recently compared the EU to Adolf Hitler

Well at least finally Hungary will get along with EU.

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

Libluini posted:

Viktor also has recently compared the EU to Adolf Hitler, which is not only :lol:, but also probably means Hungary won't be in the EU anymore for long

Can't imagine how that would happen though. I assume expulsion would have to be unanimous (good luck with getting Poland on board) and Hungary has no reason to give up the economic value of being in the bloc.

Dick Ripple
May 19, 2021

mmkay posted:

Well at least finally Hungary will get along with EU.

Had a good laugh at this one.

Maybe Putin promised Orban all of the ancestoral lands in Ukraine that once belonged to Hungary. Otherwise it does seem like Orban (not sure how much your average Hungarian is on board with these actions) is cutting off the nose to spite the face kind of thing.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Hungary has full and unwavering Polish support, and as long as that is the case it won't even think about leaving the EU.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

EasilyConfused posted:

Can't imagine how that would happen though. I assume expulsion would have to be unanimous (good luck with getting Poland on board) and Hungary has no reason to give up the economic value of being in the bloc.

There's no legal mechanism for outright expelling an EU member at all. Best the rest of the EU can do is suspend Hungary's ability to vote in and veto EU processes, but as you correctly point out that might be difficult to sell to Poland, as Hungary's veto is the only real defense Poland has against also being suspended over their unrelated attempts to erode Rule of Law.

That said, I doubt Poland is particularly happy with these stunts by Orban and if the moment where they don't need Hungary's veto ever presents it self, I would not be surprised to find them first in line to take Orban behind the proverbial woodshed.

Slashrat fucked around with this message at 13:26 on May 16, 2023

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Grain of salt from the UkrAF PR department, but they're claiming that all missiles intercepted in last night's attack, including 6 Kinzhal hypersonic missiles.
https://twitter.com/RALee85/status/1658347188819312642?t=lxsSfWFhEJXj2ijQ1-sbAA&s=19

If true, looking like the Kinzhal's hype is being deflated in real time.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
There are videos circulating on social media that Russia claims are direct hits (including one destroyed Patriot), and Ukraine says are intercepted missiles exploding close to the ground.

E: Also, SuperCum.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

If that AD kill rate is anywhere near accurate that is absurdly good.

Ship em another patriot system now :toot:

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

cr0y posted:

If that AD kill rate is anywhere near accurate that is absurdly good.

Ship em another patriot system now :toot:

They already have three, I think. The German one, one from the US and I faintly remember some Nordic/Batlic country giving them antoher one?

But yeah, they can certainly always use more. :v:

with a rebel yell she QQd
Jan 18, 2007

Villain

Slashrat posted:

That said, I doubt Poland is particularly happy with these stunts by Orban and if the moment where they don't need Hungary's veto ever presents it self, I would not be surprised to find them first in line to take Orban behind the proverbial woodshed.

Orban managed to sour the centuries old friendship between Poland and Hungary.
Just last week the new Chief of the Hungarian Army General Staff claimed that WW2 grew out of a local conflict between Germany and Poland :ughh:
https://telex.hu/english/2023/05/11...tion-of-history

Duda rejected the invitation by Orban to the "Hungarian-Polish Friendship Day" this year and the Visegrad 4 stoped doing poo poo since the war started, as everyone is boycotting Hungary, essentially creating the Visegrad 1.

Oh and my favourite part. Someone has been sending boxes full of poo poo to the Hungarian Embassy in Warsaw. :)

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Paladinus posted:

There are videos circulating on social media that Russia claims are direct hits (including one destroyed Patriot), and Ukraine says are intercepted missiles exploding close to the ground.

E: Also, SuperCum.

worth noting that none of the videos I've seen actually show anything remotely identifiable as what is being claimed and the claims themselves afaict are more from rando accounts on social media than anyone reliable

who knows maybe clear footage will come out, but currently seems pretty wildly unfounded

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Herstory Begins Now posted:

worth noting that none of the videos I've seen actually show anything remotely identifiable as what is being claimed and the claims themselves afaict are more from rando accounts on social media than anyone reliable

who knows maybe clear footage will come out, but currently seems pretty wildly unfounded

Yeah, it's too dark to see anything easily identifiable, but I'm sure OSINT people will figure something out.