Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I would just connect my laptop to the two monitors instead and save myself all of the headache

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

Quixzlizx posted:

It's not my main PC, but I do have my Deck set up at a desk and docked to two monitors for productivity tasks that are more annoying to do on my laptop and its one 1080p screen.

It's fine as long as all of your apps are available as flatpaks. I do also have a couple of Windows-only apps set up through Bottles, and it's a bit clunky, but functional (for example, there might be a solution to this issue, but I have two apps set up through Bottles and pinned to my taskbar. But when I open either of those apps, a new taskbar icon appears instead of using the pinned one). But you don't have to open the apps through Bottles, you can add them to your app launcher just like native apps.

I haven't done anything super CPU-intensive on it yet, but the main difference is just not knowing how everything works in KDE like I do in Windows (although less and less of what used to work in Windows does anymore). Desktop mode is just like any other PC desktop, as long as you have a m/kb setup.

I don't know if I would recommend it if you also want it to be your main AAA gaming machine on a monitor/TV, since the Deck's hardware specs are tuned to 720p/30-60.

ah. desktop it is. :tipshat:

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007
Maybe I would if it were an MBA or something, but it's a bulky 15.6" laptop with a dGPU that doesn't fit on my desk and also can't be powered through a dock.

And I've had less trouble using the Deck as a desktop than it seems half of this thread has had trying to keep Decky Loader, Emudeck, and/or Warpinator consistently functional, lol.

uiruki
Aug 6, 2003
blah blah blah
I like using it as a secondary machine in conjunction with my main gaming PC when I want to browse or watch videos on a second screen with minimal hassle. Like everyone else, though, this is with the proviso that everything you want to use can be gotten through Discover. It’s pretty quiet on the desktop though it can spin up a bit sometimes when you’re running something inefficient like Twitch while doing other stuff.

The only real irritation for me is that I had to write a short script to load up Discord with smooth scrolling disabled but I’d argue that’s as much a Discord/Electron failing as anything.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

Yeh, don't. I am doing it only because I've just moved literally halfway around the world and don't want to build a desktop PC yet. My files are largely stored on a remote HDD, and I have aligned to using Discover apps so I avoid the updates-wipe-your-poo poo issue. I also only really use it sitting at a desk docked, using it on the go outside of gaming mode sucks.

I've not seen my home folder get touched by an update, but I doubt anything outside of that is safe. I've installed a couple of other things outside of discover, and so far they've not disappeared. I am however comfortable touching Linux so I can unbreak stuff quite well if anything doesn't survive and nothing that would disappear will risk my data.

The only solution I don't yet have is running iTunes on a Windows install. I toyed with trying to get a VM of Windows running on this, but that was a step too far even for me. I've instead grabbed a $100 disused Optiplex micro, which I'll make headless and shove behind my TV cabinet. I'll then VM windows on it and run iTunes via that, doing backup/sync via wifi or occasionally plugging in a USB.

My other option would be to build a mini-ITX PC, complete with GPU etc., in a small case so I can stash it behind my monitors in a corner. That's more $$$ than I really want to spend when I'm unemployed though.

Nam Taf fucked around with this message at 17:00 on May 15, 2023

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

It would maaaaayybe be OK if you put windows 11 on it, but thats kinda janky as-is, and the SteamOS is definitely not built to be a general-use linux desktop, despite this threads limited Powerpoint success with the deck

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
edit: wrnog thread

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

I'm not using it for work, so I don't have to use Windows apps on it which alleviates a lot of the issues others would run in to. The only one I've installed is Winamp, because I refuse to move past 2001 when it comes to listening to my mp3 collection.

In desktop mode, I can play my (Steam) games on it and use a web browser, which covers 90% of my use case (browser on one screen, game on the other). Other than that, I use the following software, all of which is on Discover:
  • Firefox & Chrome
  • Thunderbird
  • Libreoffice
  • VLC
  • GIMP
  • KeePassXC
  • Visual Studio Code
  • Discord
  • Konversation (IRC)
  • FreeCAD
I''ve also installed Sabnzbd as a custom flatpak, from here. Because it's a Flatpak, it shouldn't get wiped, but it also doesn't get updates.

If I ever take it off the dock, it's because I'm playing a game in bed or outside my house, in which case I'm using it solely in gaming mode. I don't have tuyop's technological/financial brain worms, so I don't try to whip it out in a client meeting to fire up a Powerpoint slide deck covering the investment potential of growing basil.

I wouldn't recommend using it as a main desktop PC to someone who isn't both very comfortable with Linux and also with aligning to the locked-down nature of only using Discover apps. As Beve Stuscemi mentioned, the best option outside of that would be to throw Windows on it, but then you're losing the perks of gaming mode and you may as well just splurge on a mini-ITX gaming build.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Nam Taf posted:

If I ever take it off the dock, it's because I'm playing a game in bed or outside my house, in which case I'm using it solely in gaming mode. I don't have tuyop's technological/financial brain worms, so I don't try to whip it out in a client meeting to fire up a Powerpoint slide deck covering the investment potential of growing basil.

Whoa, deep esoteric pull

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

wizard2 posted:

is there like... a general advice guide on how to use the Steam Deck as your for real PC? bc Id like to retire my desktop since the whole thing + desk + chair takes up so much space and the Deck just tucks under nicely my living room tv

It's definitely doable, but you need to make sure you're prepared for it. If you just want a Desktop to do some light web browsing between games sure, go for it. My Windows PC ate poo poo for a while so my Deck was my only PC so it worked for me. However, I don't really do all that much outside of the web and spreadsheet poo poo (for work) so it was pretty easy to deal with. It all depends on the use case.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
Since I'm not swapping out the SSD, I decided to at least replace the sticks with Gulikit Hall Effect ones. Seems to be a really simple swap even with a tiny bit of soldering.

Certainly appears simpler than replacing JoyCon shells, which I will absolutely never do again.

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

Finding conflicting results on google - if I set up my passwd will it get reset after a system update? I'm leaning towards no but just want to make sure before I start sudoing indiscriminately

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
It shouldn’t get reset. Only if you nuke the OS

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

It persists through everything except a full reset, yeah

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

What doesn't get reset on a system update: your password, some system level configuration, steam, anything in your home directory (including apps you install as flatpaks or appimages)
What does get reset: pretty much anything else that is outside of your home directory (including apps that you install with pacman, unless you go through the insane linux janitorial work of local pacman)

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
There's also a dedicated mount for /var/lib/flatpak so you can install "system" flatpaks that don't get wiped either. But on a single-user machine it's not appreciably different than installing user flatpaks.

Sexual Aluminum
Jun 21, 2003

is made of candy
Soiled Meat
Anyone know if those old Gold Box DnD forgotten realms games will run decently on the Deck?

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

sigher posted:

It's definitely doable, but you need to make sure you're prepared for it. If you just want a Desktop to do some light web browsing between games sure, go for it. My Windows PC ate poo poo for a while so my Deck was my only PC so it worked for me. However, I don't really do all that much outside of the web and spreadsheet poo poo (for work) so it was pretty easy to deal with. It all depends on the use case.

Unironically might be better to wait for the Ally or something similar if docked/PC replacement is your primary use case. I don't think the Ally looks very good, but acting primarily as a docked laptop that just sees some infrequent handheld use is the niche I can see it really filling. Probably better than a budget gaming laptop for that highly specific case.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Sexual Aluminum posted:

Anyone know if those old Gold Box DnD forgotten realms games will run decently on the Deck?

They should. These days you get them from GOG with a Dosbox wrapper. Maybe someone even made a cool controller setup for it already.

I legit played (and beat) the first Eye of the Beholder on a Sega Mega CD with its three button controller, now that I think about it. I wouldn't mind trying that again.

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Emotionally drained and spookified

Toilet Rascal

Sexual Aluminum posted:

The only concern I would have would be the tendency of old PC games to use The Whole loving Keyboard, might need a bit of effort to make a control scheme that works.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

CBD Corndog posted:

its got a fuckin crank!

the components to make the playdate are maybe $5 - $10 at mass market rates. My guess is they've spent so much money on staffing and hype that they'll barely break even despite that lmfao

e: that's assuming it's a high quality plastic mould. If it's metal it would be a fair bit higher but ABS plastic molding is 2 for a penny in China

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
So I recently had to send my Deck off for repairs and they sent me it back factory reset - or more likely just sent me a new one I imagine. Anyway, since then, I've noticed Conker's Bad Fur Day, and the romhack of Gruntylvania - both of which worked and I played before my deck got a fresh install/replacement from Valve - don't seem to run anymore. I just get a black screen but hear the game sound just fine. I'm using retroarch in the Emudeck. I don't recall having set up anything special to make them run earlier - although maybe I did and forgot - but yeah. Anyone know what might be up?

EDIT: Just tried some of the other roms I have. It seems to be all of them. I tried Goemon so I know it's not just expansion pack games.

RoboChrist 9000 fucked around with this message at 05:31 on May 16, 2023

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

So I recently had to send my Deck off for repairs and they sent me it back factory reset - or more likely just sent me a new one I imagine. Anyway, since then, I've noticed Conker's Bad Fur Day, and the romhack of Gruntylvania - both of which worked and I played before my deck got a fresh install/replacement from Valve - don't seem to run anymore. I just get a black screen but hear the game sound just fine. I'm using retroarch in the Emudeck. I don't recall having set up anything special to make them run earlier - although maybe I did and forgot - but yeah. Anyone know what might be up?

EDIT: Just tried some of the other roms I have. It seems to be all of them. I tried Goemon so I know it's not just expansion pack games.

I had this issue too, go into RetroArch's settings and change the renderer to Vulcan, or something other than what it's on. One of them eventually worked for me.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
Ah, thanks. Where in Retroarch would those settings be? Not seeing them from the main menu thing.

EDIT: Do notice when I was poking around, it says that the Dreamcast BIOS is missing. Do I need a Dreamcast BIOS for a nything? I've run DC 'roms' just fine.

RoboChrist 9000 fucked around with this message at 07:46 on May 16, 2023

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Click L3/R3 together and hit B to go back a menu, then Settings/Drivers/Video, I have mine set to "glcore." It was on Vulkan before and I just got black screens with audio, so opposite of what I said. lol

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

A deck controller profile for playing any might and magic 4 through 8 would be cool though it uses so many keyboard keys it would seem difficult

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

I finally got the Nreal Airs to work through a USB C hub. Jesus.

J5 jcd401 hub powered by 100w USB c adapter. Airs plugged into those. Hub plugged into the data port of the Redmagic adapter. Nothing plugged into the power port of the Redmagic adapter. Redmagic adapter plugged into Deck.

Absolutely insane poo poo but now I can daisy chain usb and have a full wired Ethernet with custom hitbox controller setup on the sofa using the glasses

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

Say something hideous and horrible jumps out at you. Something so disgusting that it simply must die.
Ah! Oh!..So tacky! I can't...look...directly at it!

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

If you want to see if they replaced the machine, load here https://store.steampowered.com/account/hardwareused and it will show you serials for the machines on your account. If you only have 1 device you'll have just the one. You can also check which fans and sticks are on it (from factory, any aftermarket will not update it etc)

I did an RMA, got a second device on there, and then after getting it back ANOTHER one was there and it had Delta fans and that's my life now :(

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

SavageMessiah posted:

The only concern I would have would be the tendency of old PC games to use The Whole loving Keyboard, might need a bit of effort to make a control scheme that works.

I remember how annoyed I was when games started using contextual buttons instead of individual keys for each action. Seems insane now to do it any other way. Sometimes with games designed for controllers you end up missing a few things that should have its own buttons but overall so much better.

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Emotionally drained and spookified

Toilet Rascal

Khanstant posted:

I remember how annoyed I was when games started using contextual buttons instead of individual keys for each action. Seems insane now to do it any other way. Sometimes with games designed for controllers you end up missing a few things that should have its own buttons but overall so much better.

Shift+F1 to wobble flange (note: flange wobbling only needed open the ventricle on the bottom level of Lord Burstwiggler's Keep)

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

minusX posted:

If you want to see if they replaced the machine, load here https://store.steampowered.com/account/hardwareused and it will show you serials for the machines on your account. If you only have 1 device you'll have just the one. You can also check which fans and sticks are on it (from factory, any aftermarket will not update it etc)

I did an RMA, got a second device on there, and then after getting it back ANOTHER one was there and it had Delta fans and that's my life now :(

What's this about different fans?

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022
hey! yeah! what's a Delta fan? how do I tell if I have a Delta fan? :ohdear:

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Its listed in the settings somewhere with all the hardware serial numbers, the delta fans are a little whinier than the other ones.

LeFishy
Jul 21, 2010
I have a delta fan and usually it is meaningless to me but for some reason death stranding in particular just makes it go into cat summoning mode unless I set a 30fps frame limit and then it’s silent

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

Say something hideous and horrible jumps out at you. Something so disgusting that it simply must die.
Ah! Oh!..So tacky! I can't...look...directly at it!

Annath posted:

What's this about different fans?

wizard2 posted:

hey! yeah! what's a Delta fan? how do I tell if I have a Delta fan? :ohdear:

Oh no I was away from the thread for too long and I am the restart of the cycle of fan complaints to new people.

Gamer's Nexus went over it, and presented both for you to get opinions about it before they tell you which is which: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2EEtzhsr2s

Deltas are worse, and they fixed a LOT of the issue via new padding in the Deck, but they are still objectively(closer to subjectively, but if you have most of your hearing objectively) worse sounding fans if high pitched noises bother you, OR let you notice things more.

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009
How do the deck trackpads and gyro translate to streaming with moonlight/sunshine from PC? are they just treated like mouse inputs? Would they be as accurate as playing a game directly on the switch?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

You can bind it to mouse if you want but the answer is, they don't translate. If you want to bind them like you do locally you're better off using Steam streaming.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

LeFishy posted:

I have a delta fan and usually it is meaningless to me but for some reason death stranding in particular just makes it go into cat summoning mode unless I set a 30fps frame limit and then it’s silent

I don't see the issue with a fan having a mode that summons cats.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022
I have a Delta fan :pwn:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

I just looked and I don't see any mention of Delta near my fan but I can't hear any loud whining over my tinnitus