Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

It’s clearly a mobile home. I could absolutely see that giant rear end truck starting to tip it over.

This show is fascinating , because it’s one of the only shows I’ve seen where you have a sequence like sally in the bedroom with the truck ramming it and you don’t actually know if it really happened. Any other show seeing that level of detail would be a dead ringer for reality.

They did suspiciously very specifically show Sally extremely drunk, and made it a point of her laying on the bed and falling asleep.

The whole Sally scene was crazy suspenseful. Hader is a master at that. It felt similar to the tiger scene but also very different.

My thoughts watching it were that it was 100% in Sally's head and that they had been hit by an earthquake or something.

The whole thing felt like a sizzle reel for the horror movie Hader's supposedly making next and it was great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Horror is just comedy with a different soundtrack.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
I like how Sally almost pulled a cousineau but luckily the gun didn't go off

Or maybe it did and the kid is getting to go on the long sleep

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title

cant cook creole bream posted:

Horror is just comedy with a different soundtrack.
waiting for the person who put up that last laugh-track clip to add one to Sally pouring a ton of vodka into John's "orange juice" cup

but no really that scene was quite rough from a child abuse perspective

the interview with Hader describes this whole scene where Sally could've gone to Hollywood and met Jennifer Lawrence... I just want that poor lady to leave the house

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

rough chuckle at the disassembled gun still being on the bed when sally goes to pass out, and great reverse chekhov as the bullet rolls off of the bed when she flops herself onto it

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

(It's you!)

moist turtleneck posted:

I like how Sally almost pulled a cousineau but luckily the gun didn't go off

Or maybe it did and the kid is getting to go on the long sleep

He's there at the end listening to Sally calling Clark and repeatedly saying "Barry"

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

I was expecting the gold statue of Cristobel to be a one of those "Living Statues".

Mouth Ze Dong
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.

Sivart13 posted:

Sally pouring a ton of vodka into John's "orange juice" cup

Uhh,

I saw the burnt cheese sandwich and I guess I looked away from the screen for a few seconds cause I completely missed that part.

Just went back and watched it again.

Holy poo poo.

That's loving darrrrk

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

live with fruit posted:

My thoughts watching it were that it was 100% in Sally's head and that they had been hit by an earthquake or something.

The whole thing felt like a sizzle reel for the horror movie Hader's supposedly making next and it was great.

i've been iffy on the last couple of episodes but between them and Bill Hader's really good cameo in Beau is Afraid, I do think he's got a good Ari Aster style horror movie in him.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Looks like Sally might end up being the struggling single mom she was playing in her show.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

i've been iffy on the last couple of episodes but between them and Bill Hader's really good cameo in Beau is Afraid, I do think he's got a good Ari Aster style horror movie in him.

Definitely. Ari aster’s horror is borderline comic in how hosed up it is.

Sally pouring the vodka for the kid is so messed up and hilarious. It’s the darkest poo poo

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

StrugglingHoneybun posted:

That's loving darrrrk

I can’t find a clip but there was at least one s1 episode where Barry was fantasizing about being married to Sally. They had two kids, a boy and a girl, and it was very Ozzie and Harriett type stuff, right?

Nice contrast of fantasy vs. reality for Berkman. Although I suppose in the real timeline, he is actually fairly happy.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
He had a few fantasies in season 1. One where he was friends with John Hamm. And one where he pretended not to reconfigure Fuches in a photo.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Cojawfee posted:

Fuches picking up that woman at Starbucks and then he also brings around her daughter who is going to Pepperdine was insane and hilarious.

Our first introduction to her being Fuches sternly telling her she couldn't drink any alcohol was great, because I thought he really disliked her and felt she was an unwelcome passenger along for the ride with the waitress he picked up.... but then he's just waxing poetic about how great she is and how proud they are of her (I think he and the waitress have been together like a day at that point?) and he really has just gone from 0-100 on being a dad to her and just didn't want her drinking when she's underage.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Davros1 posted:

I was expecting the gold statue of Cristobel to be a one of those "Living Statues".

It had a very Greendale Luis Guzmán statue feel to it

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Yeah, that relationship ws really weird. During the episode I became convinved that this woman must be one if thise weirdos who becime infatuated with a convict and start sending letters to them, falling ib love. I unterpreted this as him actamually meeting her for the first time as he got out. But no. The Raven is just that good and works quick.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

https://www.gq.com/story/barry-season-4-anthony-carrigan-noho-hank-interview

good interview with Anthony here,

quote:

When we catch up with Hank in Episode 6, there’s something haunted about him. Like a light has been extinguished. What do you imagine he’s gone through in the eight years since Cristobal’s death?

You can't make a decision like that and not have it affect you. I think what you see in the last few beats of that scene in Episode 4 is this kind of calcification. Hank swallows his emotions, hardens himself, and I mean, I think we've all learned enough about trauma to understand that just because you're suppressing something doesn't mean it doesn't exist anymore. If that is what you're choosing to repress, you have to do a lot to keep it together. I think that has been his journey: justifying what he's done, lying to himself, and ultimately portraying a version of himself that he doesn't even recognize anymore.

What is he experiencing in the dinner scene with Fuches?

Well, I think he's being exposed. This lie that he's told himself, that Cristobal was killed by his rivals, gets completely unearthed by Fuches within a moment. And all of those things that Hank was trying to keep down got flooded to the surface. All of that pain and grief and anguish got the button pushed on it.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Good, much funnier than E5.

Henchman of Santa posted:

That’s Black Sabbath, who are probably not cheap but considerably cheaper than Zeppelin licensing.

The song is The Wizard, which is also the title of the episode :thunk:

StrugglingHoneybun posted:

Uhh,

I saw the burnt cheese sandwich and I guess I looked away from the screen for a few seconds cause I completely missed that part.

Just went back and watched it again.

Holy poo poo.

That's loving darrrrk
Yeah I somehow overlooked that too lol.

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

exmarx posted:

the son going "nooo" at having to stay with sally, and then barry going "yeah i know"

Sallys eye roll during that was hilarious.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
Yeah was pretty confused during the home intruder bit, and I didn't recognize the dialogue from last season right away so that added to it, but someone driving a truck through a wall had to be a hallucination. Now I'm just on the fence if she actually trashed the place herself or if the kid is going to wake up to her crying in the middle of an otherwise perfectly fine living room.

Alan Smithee posted:

don't get me started on "Ozarks > BB"

This is violence.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

(It's you!)

Takes No Damage posted:

if the kid is going to wake up to her crying in the middle of an otherwise perfectly fine living room.

He woke up in the middle of a destroyed living room

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

mobby_6kl posted:

Yeah I somehow overlooked that too lol.

Are y'all staring at your phones while "watching"? I don't see how you could miss that, it was extremely obvious.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

FireWorksWell posted:

He woke up in the middle of a destroyed living room

We saw him start to wake up, but I don't remember him reacting to anything yet, like "hey mom what happened to the house?". Barry's played around with visions/imagination enough that I don't think we'll really know until next week.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Last episode I thought "Mom cries a lot" was a comment on how unhappy Sally is with her double life. How nice that's it's actually untreated PTSD that has only gotten worse in the last 8 years.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

oh jay posted:

Last episode I thought "Mom cries a lot" was a comment on how unhappy Sally is with her double life. How nice that's it's actually untreated PTSD that has only gotten worse in the last 8 years.

Look her whole life is just Trauma, ain't no "Post" about it

kazmeyer
Jul 26, 2001

'Cause we're the good guys.

Henchman of Santa posted:

That’s Black Sabbath, who are probably not cheap but considerably cheaper than Zeppelin licensing.

Watching SAS Rogue Heroes I'm reminded of how much better they have it in the UK in terms of licensing. I remember hearing a Led Zep needle drop in an episode of loving Scrapheap Challenge once.

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title

panko posted:

can we get a list of funny things barry s4e6?
and this is the place de résistance, the crow's nest

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Something_Hazy
Sep 21, 2019

oh jay posted:

This show probably does the 2nd best job of any TV show I've seen of portraying what PTSD feels like. The scene where she almost strangles Bevel before stopping hit me pretty hard. I would give number one to Mr. Inbetween which I know most people haven't seen, but that was almost hard for me to watch at parts because of the accuracy of the emotions he conveys. Of course it's balanced out with a lot of comedy too. I'd give the number one spot to the move You Were Never Really Here, which is really excellent but very dark to be sure.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
https://i.imgur.com/2HZveST.gifv

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

DarklyDreaming posted:

Look her whole life is just Trauma, ain't no "Post" about it

Living under the constant threat of a murder suicide probably isn’t helping any either.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Something_Hazy posted:

This show probably does the 2nd best job of any TV show I've seen of portraying what PTSD feels like. The scene where she almost strangles Bevel before stopping hit me pretty hard. I would give number one to Mr. Inbetween which I know most people haven't seen, but that was almost hard for me to watch at parts because of the accuracy of the emotions he conveys. Of course it's balanced out with a lot of comedy too. I'd give the number one spot to the move You Were Never Really Here, which is really excellent but very dark to be sure.

Mr Inbetween is phenomenal. If Barry is your jam, check this show out.

Terra-da-loo!
Apr 6, 2008

Sufficiently kickass.
Is there an episode next week? I don't know how many episodes there are this season--honestly thought Sunday was the finale

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

(It's you!)

Two episodes left.

Between this and BCS I really love the work you do.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Terra-da-loo! posted:

Is there an episode next week? I don't know how many episodes there are this season--honestly thought Sunday was the finale

I thought we have two more episodes, with Barry and Succession ending on the same night. :smith:

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Correct, there are two episodes left of both shows and they finish on the same evening.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

EL BROMANCE posted:

Correct, there are two episodes left of both shows and they finish on the same evening.

Couple that with the unjust cancellation of Raised By Wolves, the end of Avenue 5, and I just might self-immolate in two weeks.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah the HBO landscape is dire right now.

EvilBlackRailgun
Jan 28, 2007

Righteous Gemstones is usually a good time

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Oh yeah, mentioned a bit above but holy poo poo Barry's "Well our only other option is we leave him at an orphanage and kill ourselves" was..... good God. :stonklol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

we won’t see them until later this year at earliest, but besides righteous gemstones s3, there’s curb final season, the rehearsal s2, white lotus s3, true detective s4, how to s3, and we’re here s4 coming at some point. ofc none of these shows are barry/succession tier but dire is a little hyperbolic. also euphoria and last of us, not personally my bag but well-regarded by others