Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
I thought they did a supercut that stitches both together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duomo
Oct 9, 2007

Soiled Meat
You can watch both side by side in one video or synced together in separate video players

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Yeah here it is:
https://www.heinetwork.tv/oscar-special/combined-special/

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
i watched the combined version recently and im pretty sure all the good gregg stuff is before tim calls, i can’t really think of anything that mattered after that

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

I watched the combined one and thought it worked really well

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.
I think both Tim and Gregg beautifully play their characters, but the best thing is how they grew organically. I highly doubt for example that Tim planned to skewer shameless right wing idiots, but that’s exactly who he is now and it perfectly mocks those guys. Obviously Gregg being a mindless loving idiot who thinks he’s some kinda expert is great too.

Maybe I’m not giving them enough credit, but I think they grew into their roles while also watching the types of people the world has to offer and so this is who they ended up as.

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.
Also watching that tom green talk show interview with Gregg when he was promoting “the entertainer”(I think? Might have been the other movie) was really illuminating. Learning about Gregg’s past and how he’s p much spent his entire life playing some kind of character was really interesting. Dude was in bands called poo poo like zip code rapists where he would purposely destroy the stage mocking the state of punk music at the time.

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
I've posted about this before but in the 80s (?) Gregg recorded a stand up act under some pseudonym as an A side and then a bogus interview as the B side, pressed some-hundred copies of it and left them in various thrift stores for discovery. As I said the first time I posted, he did this never being able to witness the fruits of his labour. He is a special kinda guy.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Tetramin posted:

I think both Tim and Gregg beautifully play their characters, but the best thing is how they grew organically. I highly doubt for example that Tim planned to skewer shameless right wing idiots, but that’s exactly who he is now and it perfectly mocks those guys. Obviously Gregg being a mindless loving idiot who thinks he’s some kinda expert is great too.

Maybe I’m not giving them enough credit, but I think they grew into their roles while also watching the types of people the world has to offer and so this is who they ended up as.

I went back to the original podcast and listened from the beginning, and it's crazy how different the dynamic is — Tim is just this dull put-upon straight-man. and Gregg is his wacky self-important guest with a pompous lack of actual film expertise much to Tim's low-key disappointment. That core concept more or less remains to this day but Tim's character changed wildly once they had a few dozen episodes out and he started to toy with the malignant narcissist archetype.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

There's one specific episode of the podcast where the "Tim persona" emerges. I haven't listened to it in years, but when I listened to the podcast after already being familiar with the show, I was like, "Oh, this is where he nails the character down." I think it was something to do with Hillary Clinton and the Uranium One conspiracy that he was just going on a tangent about while refusing to do the actual review.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
Yeah, he does some light goldbug-ing on the podcast then there’s one episode like you say that’s just out of left field. The podcast has my favorite kind of joke, a ‘best of’ episode when you only have like 5 episodes so far.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Oh god, and there was one episode of the podcast series where they had on an actual film buff as a guest, I forget who it was but he was talking about stuff like themes and symbolism and cinematography and actors' careers, and Tim and Gregg just mocked and gaslit him and called him an idiot

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.

Data Graham posted:

Oh god, and there was one episode of the podcast series where they had on an actual film buff as a guest, I forget who it was but he was talking about stuff like themes and symbolism and cinematography and actors' careers, and Tim and Gregg just mocked and gaslit him and called him an idiot

lol if anyone knows which ep this is i would like to listen. I haven’t actually heard the podcast so maybe I should just try to find some time to check it out.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
Just listen to them all, each one is pretty short and it’s great to hear them argue about the wrath of khan.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Tetramin posted:

lol if anyone knows which ep this is i would like to listen. I haven’t actually heard the podcast so maybe I should just try to find some time to check it out.

I don’t remember the episode, but the guy was Jordan Hoffman, who was actually on an episode of Office Hours fairly recently, also talking about Star Trek. I don’t think they ever mentioned his OC appearance, though.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Haha https://www.oncinematimeline.com/the-podcast/episode-36 god the pain

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
Perfect. @ 6.28 Gregg to J. Hoffman: "how many video tapes do you own?"

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
Sorry to be just posting a tweet, but I think these pictures make it worthwhile.

https://twitter.com/Nateorious10/status/1658275450848952321

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

as previously mentioned itt I have a new baby at home and every time we do tummy time I’m finding it impossible not to say “it’s tummy time!” in the Gregg voice. It is too late for me.

I’m pretty much caught up except for the podcast episodes and Mr. America, neither of which really interests me. Can’t wait for Season 14.

Jubs
Jul 11, 2006

Boy, I think it's about time I tell you the difference between a man and a woman. A woman isn't a woman unless she's pretty. And a man isn't a man unless he's ugly.
Mr. America is fun.

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

Three podcast is also great, and you can get through it in an hour or so

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

Data Graham posted:

I feel like they Borat-ed Larry Thurman since he looks genuinely annoyed by Gregg and never came back on the show

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
Well he was on the red carpet at the oscars for oscar special celebrity interviews but the live feed didn't work.

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

They’ve been talking about wanting to do an IC social media platform for a while on HEI, I wonder if that’s something they’re going to do while the show proper is on hiatus due to the WGA strike

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

The VFA tour footage has been released

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

I learned so much on that tour...a true buff's delight

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

as previously mentioned itt I have a new baby at home and every time we do tummy time I’m finding it impossible not to say “it’s tummy time!” in the Gregg voice. It is too late for me.

I’m pretty much caught up except for the podcast episodes and Mr. America, neither of which really interests me. Can’t wait for Season 14.

My son just turned 1 and now I'm sad I missed out on doing my best Gregg impression for tummy time, that's hilarious.

I've only heard parts of the podcast, but I finally caught up with Mister America a couple of months ago and I enjoyed it. It's generally the same style of humor, and it helps fill in the gaps where it takes place in the On Cinema universe, too.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

I don’t think the podcast is required, but you really should watch Mr. America. It’s fun, it’s not long, and it both wraps up the trial and introduces some stuff that later gets covered on the main show, like Toni.

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

My fav part of mister america are the haunting shots where Gregg walks to a nearby bench and sits down and stares straight ahead when he thinks he’s no longer being filmed bc he’s like an NPC with no internal life outside of the show

Lamanda
Apr 18, 2003

Who does the titles for Gregg's segments? There's usually some glaring errors in them and Gregg doesn't seem like a guy who can't spell correctly.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Lamanda posted:

Who does the titles for Gregg's segments? There's usually some glaring errors in them and Gregg doesn't seem like a guy who can't spell correctly.
I kind of think it's implied to be him, because he's never been shown to be particularly intelligent.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Lamanda posted:

OSCER

Lamanda
Apr 18, 2003

Nichael posted:

I kind of think it's implied to be him, because he's never been shown to be particularly intelligent.

I don't know, for me he's just delusional about what others find interesting. The titles always seem like they were written by Tim.

Edit: OSCER still stands out kinda weird to me.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

when i get up all i want to do is go to bed again

Lipstick Apathy
Look at all Gregg's 'segments' and anything he's ever done on OC, it's all the lowest possible effort, one take, he absolutely would misspell all kinds of things and leave it in

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Turkington has described Gregg as someone in “self imposed exile from reality.” it’s not that he doesn’t care about errors, it’s that he doesn’t notice them. he’s the world’s biggest film expert and everything he does has to be right, so if it looks wrong, it’s really just right in a different way.

he looks at stuff like the deck of cards trailer and genuinely believes “this is better than any movie released this year and will win 10 Oscers.”

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer
For all of Tim's hubris, Gregg is really the one who absolutely refuses to ever admit he's wrong or self-reflect in any way.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

Turkington has described Gregg as someone in “self imposed exile from reality.” it’s not that he doesn’t care about errors, it’s that he doesn’t notice them. he’s the world’s biggest film expert and everything he does has to be right, so if it looks wrong, it’s really just right in a different way.

he looks at stuff like the deck of cards trailer and genuinely believes “this is better than any movie released this year and will win 10 Oscers.”

He’s right

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

Gregg has never experienced a moment of self doubt in his life

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Crescent Wrench posted:

For all of Tim's hubris, Gregg is really the one who absolutely refuses to ever admit he's wrong or self-reflect in any way.

The problem is he's right.

Sure, Prey for the Devil was the actual title of the movie, but Pray for the Devil would be a much more interesting and better movie. Why are they praying for the devil!? There must be something even stronger and more evil and the devil is gonna need God's help! Now THERE is a movie!

Gregg can sense that kind of thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Sounds like a perfect double feature with the classic comedy "Oh God!"