Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

Fingerpori

I'm not sure if the joke comes across in English, but I think so? You used to need a TV licence to watch TV here for taxation purposes, and I guess the term "TV licence" could also refer to a broadcasting licence.

No ANSU tonight either because I need to scan more. Sorry! I've had a couple headachey days that have made it harder to get stuff like scanning done because it's a bit of a hassle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Well it's commission work, so.

I'm also annoyed he misspelled "psychological".

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

samcarsten posted:

My VPN turned out to be the problem.

So I guess the takeaway is if an imgur-heavy thread disappears and you've got a VPN, find whatever switch you've got for it and flip it in the other direction. Also, we need to get the holy hell away from imgur with great speed. :shrug:

(Which I'm not doing tonight, because I revisited my last image host test drive this afternoon and the post didn't even load for me, but I'm eternally open to suggestions that don't break everything for everybody.)

Out Our Way (October 20-22, 1941)

Our Boarding House, in which money from relatives rings as loud as a dinner bell. (December 27-29, 1923)

Toonerville Folks (February 28-March 2, 1921)

The kid's name is Jimmie in the other papers I track, but I'm already behind schedule as it is.

Dok's "Looks Like Someone Forgot How To Swim. AGAIN." Duck (September 27, 1914)

Little Lefty (July 11-13, 1938)

(Your emergency Discord backup in the event of blank posts.)

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Crabgrass

Peanuts Through the Ages (Nov 7-8, 1951)

Calvin and Hobbes (Jun 10-11, 1993)

Big Nate

Holy crap you guys, Big Nate just had an honest to god payoff.

Blind Alley

Dunce

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

readingatwork posted:

Calvin and Hobbes (Jun 10-11, 1993)

This is the rare one I don't remember at all but is immensely relatable as an adult.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Luann

This is actually painful

Gil Thorp

Home Free

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

lol

Anyway, forget propellors in space, Weirdly's remote is never going to reach that far. This plot is very poorly thought out and Weirdly is spending way too much money to bluff Slylock.

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Macanudo

Dark Side of the Horse

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

(from a few pages back)

riderchop posted:

Safe Havens

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Heathcliff

Compu-toon

Garfield

Overboard

Monty

For Better or For Worse

Classic Arlo and Janis (June 12, 2001)

Rae The Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Fingerpori

What's a Jopo, you ask? It's a very traditional Finnish single gear bike. They used to be by far the most popular bicycles in Finland, and are still very common in many circles.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I always saw those bikes as some new fancy fad that passed pretty quickly? This is the traditional bicycle in my eyes

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

One thing about Sally Forth: I could have sworn that her friend having trouble because her parents are maybe getting a divorce but no one's talking about it was a plot that started a few years ago, back when I was still keeping up with the newspaper comic thread. Was I imagining that happened, or it did happen and it's still not resolved even now?

riderchop posted:

For Better or For Worse

It's a very minor gripe, but I don't like how Foob spells stupid as 'stoopid'.

The mom seeing her daughter get frustrated with a faulty machine and blaming it on "hormones" is rather lovely, though.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.
Pretty sure that was her other friend and that plot ended when the Forths and friends came back from vacation and things had improved so much they weren’t sure they’d arrived back in the right timeline.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.
Darn it, I smirked at a Macanudo.

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.

Selachian posted:

Archie 5/19-21/47

$2,750 in 1947 is $37,962.40 today

EasyEW posted:

Our Boarding House, in which money from relatives rings as loud as a dinner bell. (December 27-29, 1923)

$25 in 1923 is $439.04 today

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Vintage Valiant (Apr. 07, 1957)

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Rudy implying that his car wants casual sex with other cars. Okay.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

Zereth posted:

Its a setting where a sentient tree is playing footsie with another tree via root systems. Common sense has been hucked out the window in favor of whatever wild hair Holbrook gets up his rear end this time.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 5/15/03

Hey, so Conley hasn't forgotten that story after all!

Brenda Starr 12/25-27/50

Smokey Stover 9/5/54

Everyday Movies 6/1/36

"That bonus bill was sure a break for my boy friend. I was gonna give him the gate, but now I'll wait until after we've spent it."

(The 1936 bonus bill distributed financial bonuses, in the form of Treasury bonds, to a few million World War I veterans.)

Invisible Scarlet O'Neil 6/23-25/41

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Too bad Scarlet O'Neil never ran into Modesty Blaise. Could have been integrated into Dick Tracy's pantheon pretty easily, though.

Retail

Popcom

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Darthemed posted:

Retail
Popcom

these are kinda broken.

wait now they're not? ???

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Synthbuttrange posted:

these are kinda broken.

wait now they're not? ???

Imgur is broken. I have to turn off my vpn to see images from it, though other users have reported other solutions.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
I've never had any issues seeing any of the comics, even with Imgurs ongoing fuckery. Not saying they aren't pulling some horseshit, just throwing in my unwanted two cents.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Elon Musk bought Imgur

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

CommonShore posted:

Imgur is broken. I have to turn off my vpn to see images from it, though other users have reported other solutions.
Those aren't hosted on Imgur.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Imgur bought Imgpile

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Having seen that movie, yeah... interesting choice :stonk:

Anyone who's a fan of cinematography should probably take a look at Satoshi Kon's stuff if they haven't already, he's really good and has inspired people who have inspired people who have inspired people, but what he's known for is movies that intentionally blur the line between fantasy and reality (in the movie's setting, not gimmicks like moving theater seats or anything) and Perfect Blue is a psychological thriller so... yeah. It goes places and doesn't flinch.

Bruceski fucked around with this message at 13:34 on May 16, 2023

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Darthemed posted:

Those aren't hosted on Imgur.

well then that host is doing the same thing as imgur was because Retail is one of the strips that I have to turn off the VPN to read.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Zereth posted:

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Nancy 1943 returns tomorrow with PIG WEEK continuing.

Pluggers don't change their ways

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Still in awe at that last Dustin.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Pickles

Hagar the Horrible

Zits

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

amigolupus posted:

It's a very minor gripe, but I don't like how Foob spells stupid as 'stoopid'.

The mom seeing her daughter get frustrated with a faulty machine and blaming it on "hormones" is rather lovely, though.
It also doesn't help that Ellie really isn't sticking around and explaining things to Liz and just fixing the machine and letting her to her own devices. If you want someone to learn a thing you gotta commit to working with them in a way where they can learn from their frustration and start picking up for themselves what's wrong and how to improve. Like, I don't know why she's using the sewing machine, but the way Ellie phrases her advice and correction is solely in the realm of it being her fault and her not doing it properly when a simple fix to attitude and imparting the info wouldn't be "you didn't" or "you forgot" but just "try threading it this way", try this, try that, what do you think is happening, etc, framing it all more instructively and in a way where it's a learning experience and not correcting faults is an important way to teach.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
also i guaran loving tee FOOB Mom has had similar issues with the sewing machine. probably a strip somewhere where she is in her daughter's place with the same dumb expression.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

:lol:

Yeah, whole lot of real hard work involved with becoming a millionaire. Sure thing.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

:lol:

Yeah, whole lot of real hard work involved with becoming a millionaire. Sure thing.
Hey now, 1 million is low enough you could get there with hard work. And some luck.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
You can lie to your child, it's ok. You don't have to immediately tell them the inequities of everything.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Yeah I know. I'm just cynical.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
It's hard work when you don't inherit it. Mom is being cleverly honest.