Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

victrix posted:

Third boss

gently caress that absolute shitlord. Completely clowned him because my entire loadout and setup was designed to do so, after getting summarily destroyed multiple times. What a terrible fight.

From Shuffle/one of the playtesters, he proposed on the playtest Discord making this boss easier because he and a few other playtesters recognised it was an unfun fight.

It got aggressively downvoted by by the majority other playtesters, so you can thank the "git gud" squad for the end product :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

how the hell does this poo poo work? i was having a great run w my guys mostly not freaking out, i was using lots of inn items to make them all friendly, i get to this screen and think 'oh great my work paid off they're gonna be bros'

they should let you end expeditions from this screen

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Get a ton of whiskey, I hope they don't nerf it because it saved my rear end plenty of times

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Honest Thief posted:

Get a ton of whiskey, I hope they don't nerf it because it saved my rear end plenty of times

Honestly every loving inn I just chuck buckets and buckets of whiskey at everyone
Feels like it shouldn't be what I'm doing, I dunno

Used the wrong skill and started a chain of deaths against the last boss of act two. It's really frustrating how long every run takes, I feel like I'm kinda getting nowhere because random poo poo can happen to me in the HUGE run and then I just have to do it all again.

Taear fucked around with this message at 19:30 on May 15, 2023

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

i also wish starting new runs was faster. i dont need to ride the cart thru the void for 2 minutes every run or see all the animations. just lemme spend my candles and pick my guys

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

I dont get the Hellion. Put her in front with ravager, occultist pulls someone and marks them, hit them with the combo attack and then after all this setup... she deals a whole 9 damage. I dont see how putting Dismas in there isnt infinitely better

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

juggalo baby coffin posted:

i also wish starting new runs was faster. i dont need to ride the cart thru the void for 2 minutes every run or see all the animations. just lemme spend my candles and pick my guys

It was so much better when the narrator would take as you rolled through the valley, instead of a black void intro.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet

babypolis posted:

I dont get the Hellion. Put her in front with ravager, occultist pulls someone and marks them, hit them with the combo attack and then after all this setup... she deals a whole 9 damage. I dont see how putting Dismas in there isnt infinitely better

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
sooo the ideal thing to do to beat the game is run all acts with the same team? maybe act 3 first since it's the one that people say is the hardest?

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Blooming Brilliant posted:

From Shuffle/one of the playtesters, he proposed on the playtest Discord making this boss easier because he and a few other playtesters recognised it was an unfun fight.

It got aggressively downvoted by by the majority other playtesters, so you can thank the "git gud" squad for the end product :negative:

it's not even hard because it's so simple, it's just a matter of setting up correctly. did you set up correctly in the first phase? yes? congratulations, fight won. no? you die immediately.

also, somewhat related because I used it for this fight, I just found out that that inn item that buffs speed can be stacked infinitely on one person. Setting up in the first phase of that fight is much easier when you have a Highwayman with 40 speed.

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

that crit when blind ring on leper is so satisfying

Brutor Fartknocker
Jun 18, 2013

Are the later chapters harder difficulty getting to the mountain or are they mostly the same as chapter one with a different boss?

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

Chapter 2 unlocks the "full game" for the other regions, as well as requiring a lair boss trophy to enter the mountain. Additionally chapter 3 onwards I believe, there's some additional changes to cultists outside of the differences in altar/ordainment buffs between each chapter.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Brutor Fartknocker posted:

Are the later chapters harder difficulty getting to the mountain or are they mostly the same as chapter one with a different boss?

Ordained enemies change, Cultist Altars change, and there are extra encounters on the way to the mountain

I'm not sure if the areas themselves get longer? About to dive into 4 so I guess I'll find out

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Just did the Act 4 boss for the first time.

I think having the general trophy was a blessing in disguise, because I hear it normally knocks your heroes back. My Hellion was on deaths door several times and my Plague doctor and occultist had meltdowns but I managed to beat all 3 phases. Seems like lots of Bleed resist for your party, and move resist and block+ on your front liner to tank the punches. Really cool looking boss!

Also it turns out we do get to see what the protégé looks like, but he's always wearing a hooded robe. I'm just imagining the Academic meeting this dork wearing Sith robes on day 1 of his fall semester haha.

I'm trying to understand what exactly happened when the Academic was sacrificed-the protégé somehow solved the Universe Equation and it merged his consciousness with reality itself? But since he was a huge rear end in a top hat it made reality an rear end in a top hat as well which hosed everything up?

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

how do you replay the hero shrine stories? i know i saw the option but cant find it now

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Kly posted:

how do you replay the hero shrine stories? i know i saw the option but cant find it now

On the hero screen in the crossroads it's a tab next to quirks paths etc

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Einwand posted:

Chapter 2 unlocks the "full game" for the other regions

what do you mean by this?

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

Wafflecopper posted:

what do you mean by this?

Chapter 1 locks the game down to just Sprawl/Tangle, while the full game has 3 additional region types, Shroud, Foetor, Sluice (this one is more of a partial region, there's no boss and it doesn't count as progress towards the mountain). Additionally it skips the 3rd region before the mountain which is longer and has a special cultist encounter.

Einwand fucked around with this message at 04:25 on May 16, 2023

Brutor Fartknocker
Jun 18, 2013

Oh gently caress me that's why I haven't seen the other zones come up at all.

Just to check to make sure I'm not crazy, grinding chapter 1 for candles and hero shrine/skill unlocks until I'm done is most efficient, right? Doing the other zones just seems like making it very unlikely I clear the final boss and thus a big candle loss vs chapter 1.

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

final boss is cool as gently caress

i got owned because im a moron but cool as gently caress

Killed a Girl in 96
Jun 15, 2001

DON'T STOP CAN'T STOP

Brutor Fartknocker posted:

Oh gently caress me that's why I haven't seen the other zones come up at all.

Just to check to make sure I'm not crazy, grinding chapter 1 for candles and hero shrine/skill unlocks until I'm done is most efficient, right? Doing the other zones just seems like making it very unlikely I clear the final boss and thus a big candle loss vs chapter 1.

hey, you do you, but that's not my idea of a good time.
get out there and get your head knocked off. that's darkest dungeon, baby.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
What does this trinket do?

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

temple posted:

If the hero gets hit whilst stunned they get two regen, if they resist a stun or daze they get a random positive token.

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Nightsworn GR seems decent now that I actually play her, but I started with a decent stealth trinket, so maybe she needs the extra push to get started.

temple posted:

Seconded, what does any of this mean? It looks pretty niche.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Ragnar34 posted:

Nightsworn GR seems decent now that I actually play her, but I started with a decent stealth trinket, so maybe she needs the extra push to get started.

Seconded, what does any of this mean? It looks pretty niche.

Lord_Magmar posted:

If the hero gets hit whilst stunned they get two regen, if they resist a stun or daze they get a random positive token.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

The only awkward wording is the first one, which isn't clear about what it means by "If Target". What it actually means to say is, when the hero is hit, if the target of that hit (the hero in question) has stun, gain 2 regen.

The other two are way easier to understand, when the wearer resists the stun/daze tokens, gain a random positive token.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

Death used to be scary, but now that I've learned to set up and inflict deathblow to the last enemy at the beginning of a round that's not really the case anymore. She's not as big of a threat when you start with taunts and regens and 2-3 heroes get to do some stuff first, since Death only gets her turn when a new round starts.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

I feel like dots are superior to raw damage, someone give me a raw damage build that's better - dots ticking and killing deathblow resistant enemies is just so good for action economy

Warden
Jan 16, 2020

babypolis posted:

You can, and should have both. Sharpshooter Highwayman in front, open with PBS, it moves him to rank 2, where he can use his other ranged attacks. If the target is not dead, they now have combo, Hellion uses Wicked Hack for bonus damage. Use HWM's Grapeshot Blast later to get Strength token, Hellion uses Howling End and moves back one pace, bringing Highwayman to the front again.

My go-to team for Act II is HWM, Hel, Occ, and Ves.

victrix posted:

I feel like dots are superior to raw damage, someone give me a raw damage build that's better - dots ticking and killing deathblow resistant enemies is just so good for action economy

Dot's are very good, but sometimes enemies stubbornly tick their low-ish resistance rolls several times on a row and you don't get any.

And sometimes you build your team comp to apply fucktons of certain type of dot and discover that a certain phase of a certain boss has 100 points of resist against that dot, so even with resistance piercing you might not land any.

If you want pure big numbers builds, you can do some crazy things with Leper, but it takes a lot of set up.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

victrix posted:

I agree, they are generally better. The only build I've used that could outdamage it had a Leper with the trinket that gives him a 71% crit chance while blind, and a Highwayman and Jester to mark targets. But the 90% deathblow resist Leper got instantly killed by a Cultist in the second region, so the party got nowhere.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

DoTs also don't really care about Block/Weak tokens and enemies just love spamming those.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

what does "Rank" mean for the path? I assume for the trinkets it's their quality level (?), but idg what the context is for the path

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

"Little by little the old world crumbled, and not once did the king imagine that some of the pieces might fall on him"

Rank 1 is the front, rank 4 is the back

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Samovar posted:

Ok, in the Altar of Hope, there's a section where you can unlock memories for heros who have beaten the boss at the mountain, well and good.

What's the deal with the big skull on the left-hand side though? I clicked it a couple of times, only then realizing it cost candles to do so.

Einwand posted:

That just lets you put in loose candles instead of going all the way to the next upgrade pip. I'm pretty sure you used to not get to hold candles between runs or something so I guess it might've mattered in past?

It's not for storing candles at all. It's a track of unlocks relating to memories. More of them to choose from, cheaper to install etc

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

victrix posted:

they're better for chewing through big health bars like bosses but if you rely on them too much you'll take a lot of attrition. I always use dots for big stuff but it's better to also have at least one guy who can actually hit a regular enemy and just kill it right away.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

temple posted:

While I understand this it's still such a loving awful way to display the information

And yea I had a full DoT party until I came to the act 2 boss and discovered they're immune to them pretty much

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Shogeton posted:

Rank 1 is the front, rank 4 is the back

aah that rank, thanks

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

Chamale posted:

I agree, they are generally better. The only build I've used that could outdamage it had a Leper with the trinket that gives him a 71% crit chance while blind, and a Highwayman and Jester to mark targets. But the 90% deathblow resist Leper got instantly killed by a Cultist in the second region, so the party got nowhere.

I breezed through act 4 with Leper and that trinket with a Jester. Critting for 35-50 damage basically on demand is real good as it turns out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
DoT are really good overall. Nearly all of them come with frontloaded damage that strips off tokens. Dropping a target to deaths door and leaving a DoT gives you a chance to have the DoT tick finish them off on their turn. There's also trinkets that extends the damage and duration of DOTs-the Beck and Call trophy for example doubles the Bleed damage you deal (but also take).