Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

It needed to be called To Serve Man

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
And I was going to post all excited that my character got to play ancient football.

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

Technowolf posted:

And no, my King is not a cannibal
But if he ever wanted to be, he has a cookbook ready! :3:

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Bird in a Blender posted:

I think I need to uninstall and reinstall because I downloaded the new DLC and I’ve double checked it’s enabled, but literally nothing is different for me. I did have new splash screens though.

Did you maybe activate a "beta" to lock your game to a specific version?

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Tamba posted:

Did you maybe activate a "beta" to lock your game to a specific version?

I might have. I did that a while back because they did an update in the middle of one of my games, but I thought I changed it back. I’ll check that.

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

Eimi posted:

It needed to be called To Serve Man

I hope paradox is reading this thread

Fuzzysocksucker
Aug 20, 2005
Paradox: We're gonna redo MaA so Heavy Infantry aren't the only/best option.

Also Paradox:

Just to be clear what you're looking at, those are size 13 Varangian regiments with tribal tech. :ignorance:

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I don't have the expansion, and even in vanilla you just build the basic tribal structure and heavyInf are operating at +30% instantly. It's like yea sure, theoretical hypermunchkin ultra lategame stacking of 14 domain blacksmiths have been nerfed, but until then? You've just made it easier, dudes. People stack the same MaA due to the hosed up countering mechanics, the bonus stacking was just an aftereffect. Wrong solution to the wrong problem, etc.

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

my god. it's full of posts

Fuzzysocksucker posted:

Paradox: We're gonna redo MaA so Heavy Infantry aren't the only/best option.

Also Paradox:

Just to be clear what you're looking at, those are size 13 Varangian regiments with tribal tech. :ignorance:

That's a Constantinople taking army if I ever saw one.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
I started as Hasteinn and decided to try something weird, namely using the Varangian Adventure casus belli chained together 2-3 times to end up in a weird place there were never Vikings.

The plan ended up never progressing beyond leap 1 this time, because I ended up in North Africa and had such success conquering there that I decided to just stick around.

We've since formed two kingdom titles, conquered or peacefully absorbed all of their de jure territory, converted to Ibadi Islam, formed a Norse-Berber hybrid culture that raises runestones in the Saharan sand and elects rulers in the Scandinavian style, and turned Hasteinn into the most pious man in the entire Muslim world. The hybrid culture has abandoned Norse as a language in exchange for the local tongue, but I've decided to keep Norse as the court language just for the hell of it.

Also Hasteinn is 91 years old now, and I have have to switch heirs because my original planned heir is in his 50s now. The old bastard just will not die - and he's still cranking out kids, too; kid #15 came at age 88.

He still has the surviving members of his starting host of Varangians, who must all be in their 70s by now, and have had incredibly strange lives.

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

Fate of Iberia is really annoying. You can’t have regular CBs until the the struggle is over with painful/impossible conditions. Sorry I rather end my playthrough than convert every county from al andulusian to Castilian

Grillfiend
Nov 29, 2015

Belgians ITT
(ie Me)

my ambitious duke died from stress after doing two homages in a row (the first emperor died shortly after I visited) 10/10

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Had a blast forming The Kingdom of Sardinia and Corsica with a custom character. Mines are basically an infinite money cheat code, and in Sardinia even more since the mine is in a secondary barony in the capital county. It starts out leased to some guy, but baronies are a free revoke sooo as soon as you get any amount of crown authority you're getting a capital castle + a mine castle that will basically both always stay with your character, making your income close to 10 gold/month in 1066 just from those 2 counties :stare: and nevermind if you start stacking +taxes and +taxes% buildings in there (it's not like you really need to buff your MaA early on, when you can have a full retinue of Heavy Infantry within 5 years of starting the game).

Steamrolling the rest of the island is a cakewalk at that point, it's been a tad harder to grab the Duchy of Corsica but the pope liked me so I could just get a "free" claim on it, then it was just a matter of waiting until the HRE got busy with some revolt or another - it eventually did about 25 years in, I grabbed the duchy of Corsica that went independent, and formed the Kingdom (Tuscany still has a county in corsica and they're still a bit too scary, but they will implode too - their demesne isn't conveniently concentrated in a 5-county duchy like mine is :agesilaus: ). Now having more money than Croesus I just slapped all the court amenities to max and have the 5th coolest court in the world, I'm up to my ears in inspired guests and the awesome artifacts they keep making for me, and things look nice indeed.

Weirdly, Robert The Fox conquered all of Sicily then promptly lost the entirety of it to a midsized North African muslim realm - but for some reason I can't holy war them? I'd like to grab Sicily and I'm definitely strong enough but seems like I can't get a casus belli against this Emir...

one thing that seems not great is that if you're as isolated as Sardinia is, it will be pretty darn rare to be invited to weddings, tournaments and hunts - your own vassals will be few since you'll be trying to hold all the land yourself since it's a small duchy, and other rulers are probably too far away to invite you or they don't give a crap about you or something? I only had a chance to visit 2 grand weddings and 1 grand tournament - which I handily won :getin: - but besides that, if I want an activity I have to host it myself. Which is fine, but the realm is small so forget about getting the Traveler perk and so on, and getting travel events when your travel lasts a week or 2 is kinda rare.

Anyway, sorry for the rambling. What's some medium-difficulty start I could try my hand at? Ideally somewhere in the thick of action where I can just go around tourneying non-stop!

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 08:48 on May 15, 2023

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

TorakFade posted:

Anyway, sorry for the rambling. What's some medium-difficulty start I could try my hand at? Ideally somewhere in the thick of action where I can just go around tourneying non-stop!

Sounds like you have the newest DLC, so I can't comment on the tourneys. Iberian Struggle (if you have that DLC) is a rock-em schlock-em brawl with a lot of dynastic stabbings, kidnappings and general asshattery for the struggle, and multiculturalism. It's hampered by how hard it is to press the "I win" button, unlike freeform growth which has nothing to stop you.

Norse DLC allows for stupid snowball starts where you spend every breathing moment in combat, alternatively grabbing their OP traditions and loving off across the globe just because.

For a more sedate Feudal+Catholic experience, the later start date in western europe (and/or british isles) is a pretty vanilla experience. I'd suggest starting as a vassal and getting to enjoy loving with your liege, it's very satisfying.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

TorakFade posted:

Maybe Cornwall in 867? It is fairly interesting start, you are the last recorded independent Brythonic ruler in England and you can restore Cornwall kingdom, reconquer lands from Anglo-Saxons and Norse, maybe even lands across the sea. You are also in Western Europe, so tournaments should be happening and unlike Sardinia, you don't have "isolationist" tradition that limits diplo range, there is also smaller mine and Stonehenge fairly nearby.

Dwesa fucked around with this message at 11:32 on May 15, 2023

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Serephina posted:

Sounds like you have the newest DLC, so I can't comment on the tourneys. Iberian Struggle (if you have that DLC) is a rock-em schlock-em brawl with a lot of dynastic stabbings, kidnappings and general asshattery for the struggle, and multiculturalism. It's hampered by how hard it is to press the "I win" button, unlike freeform growth which has nothing to stop you.

Norse DLC allows for stupid snowball starts where you spend every breathing moment in combat, alternatively grabbing their OP traditions and loving off across the globe just because.

For a more sedate Feudal+Catholic experience, the later start date in western europe (and/or british isles) is a pretty vanilla experience. I'd suggest starting as a vassal and getting to enjoy loving with your liege, it's very satisfying.

Yeah I have all DLC, and despite trying at least 4 times, I really couldn't wrap my head around the Iberian Struggle mechanics. It always felt very random what with 20+ rulers all doing their own thing which sometimes cancels out whatever you're trying to do, and I'm generally pretty methodical and slow on the expansion which doesn't seem to work great in The Thunderdome.

I should probably play some weirder starts, I'm too boring and almost always end up playing some flavor of feudal European in 1066... I had a lot of fun with Daurama Daura once but after a while it became a huge mess and I kind of got bored of it, especially because there was not much to do besides raiding, conquering and losing it all on death for many, many decades. I like tending my own garden mostly and that gameplay loop wasn't feeling very satisfying. I might try again now that there's more stuff to do in general...

e:

Dwesa posted:

Maybe Cornwall in 867? It is fairly interesting start, you are last recorded independent Brythonic ruler in England and you can restore Cornwall kingdom, reconquer lands from Anglo-Saxons and Norse, maybe even lands across the sea. You are also in Western Europe, so tournaments should be happening and unlike Sardinia, you don't have "isolationist" tradition that limits diplo range, there is also smaller mine and Stonehenge fairly nearby.

huh now this sounds pretty interesting :) mines and monuments and plenty of nearby clay to build up your own demesne is something I really like. I was wondering why in that Sardinian game I was getting so few invites... I didn't realize isolationist hurt your diplo range that much.

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 10:48 on May 15, 2023

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
If you dislike the tribal boom/bust, I'd suggest doing a very focused gimmick run where you avoid painting the map. My personal jewel was starting as a nobody count on a Greek isle and ending up with my child married to the Byzantine throne, with my grandkid ascending the throne on his 16th birthday exactly... all thanks to grandma's perpetual stabbing.

Staying as an HRE vassal with the objective of diverging your own culture and 'building tall' is also another fun thing. Take the quite literal Gardener tradition and be an elite utopia of a hyper-developed duchy while empires rise and fall around you.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
I can't get enough of Shattered World starts. Something about the world being reduced to only counties makes for some strange powers rising from the ashes in 50-100 years. Although they are extremely easy starting out because all you need is enough men to take one neighboring county, and that starts the snowball rolling. It also means that the rulers who can't hack it start making alliances quickly, so each war you declare also winds up with like five other guys joining in the fun. It gets chaotic!

RadioDog
May 31, 2005

DoubleNegative posted:

I can't get enough of Shattered World starts. Something about the world being reduced to only counties makes for some strange powers rising from the ashes in 50-100 years. Although they are extremely easy starting out because all you need is enough men to take one neighboring county, and that starts the snowball rolling. It also means that the rulers who can't hack it start making alliances quickly, so each war you declare also winds up with like five other guys joining in the fun. It gets chaotic!

Is that mod? Or an option I missed?

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

RadioDog posted:

Is that mod? Or an option I missed?

Mod only for now. CK2 didn't get a built-in shatter function until the very last DLC. Though it looks like the mods that allow shattering haven't been updated since the DLC came out. :negative:

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I created my own 867 Sardinian count and have murdered my way to the Dukedom. I feel stuck because my bishop is crap so I can't fabricate claims and he actually gave one of my opponents a claim on one of my counties.

I started building a mine, and I'm curious to see if I have to be in a holding pattern for a generation or two or if some CK weirdness springs up and gives me a shot at expanding.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

I love that I went to the same tournament as the Pope, and ended up becoming friends with him. He didn't even care that my troops and I are dressed up like him.

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.

Dick Trauma posted:

I created my own 867 Sardinian count and have murdered my way to the Dukedom. I feel stuck because my bishop is crap so I can't fabricate claims and he actually gave one of my opponents a claim on one of my counties.

I started building a mine, and I'm curious to see if I have to be in a holding pattern for a generation or two or if some CK weirdness springs up and gives me a shot at expanding.

Holy wars on your Muslim neighbors, probably pilgrimage first so you can stock the piety.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Dick Trauma posted:

You get a new bishop if something happens to your current one :ese:

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Although there isn't anything wrong with not doing much for a generation or two.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yeah sometimes it's better to take a generation to just consolidate your winnings from the last big conquest or spin up some new plans that aren't necessarily intended to pay off right away. Especially with a lower level title you often just have to wait for the opportunities to present themselves rather than aggressively conquering everything around you. Marrying off your kids so you can press their kids claims later is a very common way to gain territory, you don't always have to fabricate.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

My murder odds against the bishop had been low, but suddenly they were much higher so I got rid of him and went from a 6 to an 18! I immediately had him fabricate a claim on all of Corsica only to find that the duchy is now a vassal of some royal bigwig with a massive army. Not sure how I can resolve that.

I was going to holy war my neighbor to the south when their army size plummeted but my piety was so low I thought it best to wait. Unfortunately it's now a large kingdom so that's out as well.

I'm going to let my starting character focus on trying to build up Sardinia but when she dies it's probably going to get ugly because she has like 7 kids and the few titles will get scattered among them so they can all start hating one another. My heir turned out sterile so even with a lustful wife I'm not sure if he'll produce any kids. I was unable to make any advantageous marriages among the other sons and daughters, just spouses with good stats/traits.

If there was an opportunity to break out during my first generation I missed it.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Don't worry about confed partition taking away counties form your domain to otherwise useless kids. As long as the highest level title stays intact (e.g. your a very big duke, and upon succession a second dukedom isn't created) everyone will still be your vassal, which means they have nobody bigger to protect them when you forcefully take it back off of them. What are they gonna do, fight back with their 200 troops?

Extra bonus is if your new guy is so hated, a single unjust revoke might have the entire kingdom up in arms, and so you get to imprison EVERYONE after they die upon your sword. One tyranny hit, dozens of free titles!

Being an rear end in a top hat is great.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

There's almost so much to do now it feels manic at times. If I wanted to focus wholly on travel and activities I'd never be able to go to war. And I can never host enough Grand Weddings for all of my children and grandchildren, even though I took the perk that boosts them and built Leisure Palaces. I almost never find time to host a feast or a hunt even!

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Yea, "too much" is a good way of describing it. You almost have to opt out of all events to properly play the game. I don't know if medieval hunts where historically months long, but it sure as gently caress didn't stop the royal family from managing their realm for half their lives.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
A lot of the time periods in the game are more about gameplay than historical realism, and I guess the length of activities is one of them.

I've been too busy modding to play yet though so it's mostly a guess! That said "ruler too busy feasting and hunting to properly manage their realm" is at the very least a popular narrative even if I can't come up with specific examples off the top of my head.

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 02:55 on May 16, 2023

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
i would be such a useles figurehead ruler in any time let a lone during CK3 times. whats that? you have a good idea? well if it not me being fat and having a perma party then YOU see to it

and then im killed

or not who knows!

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Also these fuckers need to stop burning all my orchards to the ground. I must say there are now a lot of events that can give you rivals without your input, and I've even gotten a soulmate relationship once from a pulse event that I had no input on. I feel like some of these things might need tweaking.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Serephina posted:

I don't know if medieval hunts where historically months long, but it sure as gently caress didn't stop the royal family from managing their realm for half their lives.

What's frustrating is that if you go on a trip somewhere it pauses your schemes, even if the person you're scheming against is traveling with you. I just want to keep trying to become friends with my brother while on a hunting trip together, why does it have to pause for 3 months?

Freudian slippers
Jun 23, 2009
US Goon shocked and appalled to find that world is a dirty, unjust place

Magil Zeal posted:

There's almost so much to do now it feels manic at times. If I wanted to focus wholly on travel and activities I'd never be able to go to war. And I can never host enough Grand Weddings for all of my children and grandchildren, even though I took the perk that boosts them and built Leisure Palaces. I almost never find time to host a feast or a hunt even!

You can absolutely go to war whilst engaged in activities. I've just been beating up my brother for the Empire of Germania whilst simultaniously hosting a grand wedding for my second born son. No, the first born didn't get one, because I forgot. Quit sulking Thierry.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

how are y’all affording so many grand weddings all my funds are tied up in my tourney budget

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars
Unless you're personally leading armies, you can go to activities.

binge crotching posted:

What's frustrating is that if you go on a trip somewhere it pauses your schemes, even if the person you're scheming against is traveling with you. I just want to keep trying to become friends with my brother while on a hunting trip together, why does it have to pause for 3 months?
I think one of goals of activities might be befriending someone, don't remember whether it applies to Hunts

Dwesa fucked around with this message at 10:38 on May 16, 2023

Freudian slippers
Jun 23, 2009
US Goon shocked and appalled to find that world is a dirty, unjust place

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

how are y’all affording so many grand weddings all my funds are tied up in my tourney budget

Technically, it's my vassals who are paying for it :agesilaus:

Dwesa posted:

Unless you're personally leading armies, you can go to activities.

I think one of goals of activities might be befriending someone, don't remember whether it applies to Hunts

I attempted to ally with the pope during a wedding. The alliance first succeeded, then auto-failed because we were no longer married (wtf, the wedding was for neither of us), but then we became friends anyway!

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
Pretty sure there’s a bug with allyship through events. I targeted a neighboring ruler and succeeded, and the alliance immediately dissolved after the event because there was no marriage. I guess they forgot to condition it like that one diplomacy perk where you can negotiate one marriage-less alliance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
There is indeed such a bug, for which a hotfix was released twenty minutes ago.