Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Tonsberg Norway (pretend i did the fancy o there)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

`Nemesis posted:

Tønsberg Norway (pretend i did the fancy o there)

Oh that's ... great. I suspect those are Clas Ohlson's cheapest stick-on cable channels, but the fun angles are hard to explain. Water drainage? The best I can say is that he chose the ugly solution instead of the common "this requires inspection by an electrician to be legal, but that's expensive and how hard can it be" approach.

Also, I grew up in Horten - what brings you to my pleasant but not super interesting corner of Norway?

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

wolrah posted:

I read that as if that circuit popped you lost all lighting throughout the house, not that losing a bulb would take out the rest like some cheap christmas lights.

Yeah it was this iirc. The fuse box was very old - manually wound which I, despite being 7 years old, used to replace.

You could argue that the actual house, being like 200 years old or something, was not crappy construction because it was still there after all that time.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Computer viking posted:

Oh that's ... great. I suspect those are Clas Ohlson's cheapest stick-on cable channels, but the fun angles are hard to explain.

Based on my experience of using those at my rental, those have come unstuck from the wall and fell down. They're being held up by the cables, not the other way around.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
I love the super fancy sink and faucets combined with the cheapo cheapest everything else.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Uthor posted:

Based on my experience of using those at my rental, those have come unstuck from the wall and fell down. They're being held up by the cables, not the other way around.

Oh yeah that checks out. We have only used them on top the baseboards, so they only poked horizontally into the room when they failed.

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme

`Nemesis posted:

Why do the trashcans need electricity?

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

The disabled toilet at work qualifies for crappy construction (even before someone shits it all up): the toilet paper dispenser is on the wall at a 45 degree angle behind the toilet so requires you to reach backwards, and for some reason a second hand towel dispenser has been added....right in the middle of the mirror above the sink.

To top it off, the outer door is likely impossible for someone in a wheelchair to get into.

Powerful Two-Hander fucked around with this message at 14:03 on May 13, 2023

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

`Nemesis posted:

Brisbane Australia

Well lit, contrasting colors, edges highlighted.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

`Nemesis posted:

so is that the urinal or the sink, or both? I hope it's both

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Leperflesh posted:

so is that the urinal or the sink, or both? I hope it's both

The true urinals are visible in the mirror.

But if you are tall enough, any sink can be a urinal.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Amazing what they can do with plastics nowadays

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
I always like to wonder how things like this ended up happening.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

PurpleXVI posted:

"split-level"

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Uthor posted:

This is absolutely the case for that image. I don't know why they bother having the adhesive strips at all. I had to install some of that stuff once and the company that contracted me paid me to go buy appropriate screws and told me not to use the adhesive strip under any circumstances. I doubt the adhesive holds up in most situations, let alone a wet area.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Computer viking posted:

Oh that's ... great. I suspect those are Clas Ohlson's cheapest stick-on cable channels, but the fun angles are hard to explain. Water drainage? The best I can say is that he chose the ugly solution instead of the common "this requires inspection by an electrician to be legal, but that's expensive and how hard can it be" approach.

Also, I grew up in Horten - what brings you to my pleasant but not super interesting corner of Norway?

I wish i took that myself it would be a great trip i am sure, but its just poo poo i stole from somewhere else.

speaking of, i'm sure this guy got all the necessary permits in advance

Harry_Potato
May 21, 2021

`Nemesis posted:

I wish i took that myself it would be a great trip i am sure, but its just poo poo i stole from somewhere else.

He just needs some feet with ruby slippers sticking out. "I didn't build it, it just landed there, honest..."

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

PurpleXVI posted:

I like to think that your poop falls two meters before hitting water, and the echo when you fart is some worth trying

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

`Nemesis posted:

Ha, I guess that makes more sense. Tønsberg is nice and all, and about a thousand years old - but it's kind of like going to the US for your first time to visit Providence. I'm sure it's nice enough and has a fair bit of history, but maybe you should start with the big hitters? (Not that I've ever been to Providence.)

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
https://twitter.com/collapsevids/status/1658079154741592065

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
And that's why we have structural sheathing. Or cross-braces in the framing, if your house dates from about the 50's or earlier.

Autechresaint
Jan 25, 2012

PurpleXVI posted:

is that not the toilet from Parasite?

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
why not just move the floor up higher to match the toilet

Messadiah
Jan 12, 2001

not enough triangles

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Was the machine just barely visible on the right trying to hold it up or push it over?

Wild rear end guess was to finish the job and push it all the way over, but not sure.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Damaged or deficient structure so the whole building had to come down is my guess

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

`Nemesis posted:

Haha, goddamn. In my old age I don't yell at kids to get off my lawn but am always happy to narc out neighbors doing unpermitted work. :corsair:

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Sloppy posted:

Haha, goddamn. In my old age I don't yell at kids to get off my lawn but am always happy to narc out neighbors doing unpermitted work. :corsair:

i'd let some poo poo slide depending on what it was, but absolutely not that bullshit

Jows
May 8, 2002

Looks like my dude took a loving sawzall to his roof

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

That has to be Florida right? Any Americans familiar with that license plate?

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

VelociBacon posted:

It's a New York plate and there's snow on the ground so probably not Florida.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

VelociBacon posted:

Amber background with blue lettering and a solid blue band across the top is most likely New York. There's snow, so it's unlikely to be Florida.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Deteriorata posted:

Amber background with blue lettering and a solid blue band across the top is most likely New York. There's snow, so it's unlikely to be Florida.

You can make out two distinct yellow blurs of text in the top band of blue. It's definitely New York.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Placeholder
Sep 24, 2008

Should've mounted one on each blade

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

I'm generally not a fluorescent lighting fan.

Jows
May 8, 2002

Mans just tryna be energy efficient!

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.
I think I enjoy the badly patched/bonded/painted ceiling and subsequent dribbles onto the fan housing most.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I'm the...crown moulding? Chaotic neutral ceiling baseboard? I don't know what the hell you'd call that here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Bad Munki posted:

I'm the...crown moulding? Chaotic neutral ceiling baseboard? I don't know what the hell you'd call that here.

Window valances, made of course from painted wood wainscoting. Window Painscoting. Sketchy Valances.