Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Agents are GO! posted:

Hey, has anyone heard any more details about VanwaTech abruptly shutting down and leaving the worst sites on the internet without hosting?

No, because all those websites are down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Elon's not very good at being a geek if he didn't think "Soros reminds me of Magneto" could very easily be a compliment.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

HopperUK posted:

The original lyrics speak to the pernicious nature of these fantasies in keeping us all deceived.

'The punk rolled up his big blue eyes and said to the jocker, "Sandy, / I've hiked and hiked and wandered too but I ain't seen any candy / I've hiked and hiked till my feet are sore / I'll be damned if I hike any more / to be buggered sore like a hobo's whore in the Big Rock Candy Mountain"'

I'm still amused that Big Rock Candy Mountain got featured in a DuckTales episode.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

he was right?

Fart.Bleed.Repeat.
Sep 29, 2001

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I'm still amused that Big Rock Candy Mountain got featured in a DuckTales episode.

I know BK and the tender crisp bacon cheddar ranch were briefly mentioned, but Cowboy Hootie makes me smile every drat time

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Advertisers are never going back to Twitter

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Interesting coincidence on the timing of this

https://twitter.com/marketmonkpicks/status/1658297307010310144?t=5axgmx0Uz9q4y-NQSOukcA&s=19

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Fart.Bleed.Repeat. posted:

I know BK and the tender crisp bacon cheddar ranch were briefly mentioned, but Cowboy Hootie makes me smile every drat time
This thread has been feeling like people are talking about anime. I have no clue about any of this, apart from reading this comic from a humble bundle. What a trip, maaaaaan https://imagecomics.com/comics/releases/rock-candy-mountain-vol-1-tp

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Do you recommend it?

Nebrilos
Oct 9, 2012

Inceltown posted:

Advertisers are never going back to Twitter

Argh someone help me I want to argue with a jpeg.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Do you recommend it?

Yeah, I enjoyed it.
Absolutely worth picking up any humble bundles that are comics.
They are so full of stuff to read, you'll probably find so.ething you like.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Nebrilos posted:

Well first, we'll attack their base. I mean, "Joint Photographic Experts Group"? Who appointed these so-called "experts"? I know I didn't vote for them. And even if we were to assume a group of experts should be appointed, perhaps a group comprised of members who do more than photograph "joints", aka Mambo Cigarettes, would be a better fit. Honestly this whole thing is a quagmi...

Sorry, what? Oh, uhhh.... yeah, baked potato and a frosty to go with my Daves Single with Cheese. Thanks.

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

I'm so tired, I'm so very tired

He is talking about himself again.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Agents are GO! posted:

Hey, has anyone heard any more details about VanwaTech abruptly shutting down and leaving the worst sites on the internet without hosting?

It popped up briefly and then appeared to fade away again and now it's actually hard for me to find any info on. What lovely sites are we getting rid of? The only one I remember for sure was KiwiFarms' latest incarnation.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

The Saddest Rhino posted:

have no idea what that list is meant to represent

jussie smollett: it sure looked like a lovely thing that happened at the time, but then weird conflicting details came out and neither Smollett nor the cops are talking so who the gently caress knows

covington kids: it sure looked like a lovely thing that happened at the time, but then longer videos came out showing the drumming guy and some Black Israelite guys were all standing around yelling for a long time so it's more a question of why the gently caress the kids' school trip just stood there smirking for like an hour, it still looks like bad ideas all around

nascar pull rope: look man it's a loving noose, even if every garage had a pull rope and not just the ONE black driver you're god drat weird if you tie them all like nooses

hands up dont shoot: when Michael Brown was killed by the cop in Ferguson, it was in a confused scuffle and only in one of the after-the-fact interviews did someone say Brown said "I don't have a gun, don't shoot me". He never verbatim said "hands up don't shoot" before they shot him in the back of the head, so seventeen golden pinocchios to the lying anti-cop media and BLM terrorists!!!

But you know. our bad for caring about poo poo like this whether it turns out to be real or not, lesson learned Pim

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

Nebrilos posted:

lol

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
https://twitter.com/emmitt8x/status/1658174923469119502?t=Zsu2IAaOB5Ez5Syb5ZGx4w&s=19

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Zelda spoilers maybe

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
https://twitter.com/theodorepinnock/status/1656737534825594895?s=46

It’s hard for him to take criticism of clothes from a dude who sends a raven to say “hi” to his toes.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
What virtues I wonder would those be

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

Vib Rib posted:

What virtues I wonder would those be

The ones where after three draining days of travel, Sam picks Frodo up and barebacks him through Mordor

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

I remember reading about how some Tolkein-purists were upset about tomatoes being shown in the movies because they are a new world crop.

The book specifically mentions potatoes being eaten by the hobbits.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
They also have very strong opinions on women and black people in modern LOTR media, but they go with tomatoes because it's an easier in.

But additionally, pipeweed is literally tobacco, according to Tolkein.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Samovar posted:

I remember reading about how some Tolkein-purists were upset about tomatoes being shown in the movies because they are a new world crop.

The book specifically mentions potatoes being eaten by the hobbits.

To the point of extinction! Hobbits ate every tuber to the point where the only surviving species were in their gardens, and when Hobbit society finally collapsed they were lost entirely. It took until the modern era for potatoes to be reintroduced from the New World.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating
Giant Eagles: Sure
Eternal souls imbued in Rings: No problem
Magic Octagenarians: OK

Potatoes?! in Fantasy? Get the gently caress out!

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
When I think of definite good and evil, I always think of Gollum/Smeagol.

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

Midnight Voyager posted:

Elon's not very good at being a geek if he didn't think "Soros reminds me of Magneto" could very easily be a compliment.
That's maybe the worst possible example he could have chosen, truly incredible.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Speaking of awful public figures, Taylor Swift is dating a real winner:

https://twitter.com/beyisover/status/1654691088995864582?s=20

And as a reminder Spotify still has joe rogan on the payroll so they’re not exactly adverse to racist podcasts

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Zero_Grade posted:

That's maybe the worst possible example he could have chosen, truly incredible.

It's such a bad example you've got to wonder why he chose Magneto of all characters. Does Elon think Magneto is just a Jewish super-villain?

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Dude talking about Tolkien and the Somme forgetting he was a designated survivor- one of the men kept behind to reconstitute a unit full of replacements.

Tolkien pretty much watched every man he ever served with, every person he had lived with and stupid conversations with for the last 2 years go over the top and disappear in gas, explosions, and mud.

How the gently caress do you consider that a loving GOOD thing?

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

I'm so tired, I'm so very tired

bulletsponge13 posted:

Dude talking about Tolkien and the Somme forgetting he was a designated survivor- one of the men kept behind to reconstitute a unit full of replacements.

Tolkien pretty much watched every man he ever served with, every person he had lived with and stupid conversations with for the last 2 years go over the top and disappear in gas, explosions, and mud.

How the gently caress do you consider that a loving GOOD thing?

By being a crypto-fascist.

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

Clerical Terrors posted:

By being a crypto-fascist.

“Crypto-fascist” sure rings differently these days.

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

Ambitious Spider posted:

Speaking of awful public figures, Taylor Swift is dating a real winner:

https://twitter.com/beyisover/status/1654691088995864582?s=20

And as a reminder Spotify still has joe rogan on the payroll so they’re not exactly adverse to racist podcasts

The silver lining of this is that it means at some point, someone had to explain to one of the biggest pop stars of all time what 'Cum Town' was.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Here's a truly odd response I got today to a two-year-old tweet from my history account:

https://twitter.com/RealOdysseas/status/1658441433454395394?s=20

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
It's 2023 and modern society is still obsessed about who Taylor Swift dates.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

BigglesSWE posted:

Here's a truly odd response I got today to a two-year-old tweet from my history account:

https://twitter.com/RealOdysseas/status/1658441433454395394?s=20

That is v funny tho

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

PurpleXVI posted:

It popped up briefly and then appeared to fade away again and now it's actually hard for me to find any info on. What lovely sites are we getting rid of? The only one I remember for sure was KiwiFarms' latest incarnation.

Apparently Vanwatech was hosting Stormfront, 8kun, and Kiwifarms. I just was wondering the details, did they run out of money, did legal challenges succeed in shutting them down, or what.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

credburn posted:

It's 2023 and modern society is still obsessed about who Taylor Swift dates.

She's doing an absurdly popular tour right now and her fans are reaching Pepe Silvia levels of insane by evaluating her clothes and set lists and looking for subliminal messages telling them what she's doing next. It's absolutely insane

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Len posted:

She's doing an absurdly popular tour right now and her fans are reaching Pepe Silvia levels of insane by evaluating her clothes and set lists and looking for subliminal messages telling them what she's doing next. It's absolutely insane

I feel like this kind of thing has always existed for music online though. Getting flashbacks to a roommate I had in the mid 2000s who tried to get me to drive her to some vegan Thai restaurant in LA because she and other people on the AFI message board were convinced there were some kind of clues about the band hidden there