Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

OsteoMcB posted:

I came into this thread having no knowledge on wrestling only to leave knowing that wrestling in the 90s was colorful, to say the least.

https://youtu.be/oWsvtCf85Hc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
I mean I have always thought it pretty telling that, in America anyway, all of the really big name mainstream superstar wrestlers are generally at best okay, maybe good, in the ring but are really known first and foremost for their characters. Many of them were, in fact, quite terrible in the ring - Hogan being a classic example.

I think Benoit may be, again in America, probably the most popular wrestler who got famous on his in-ring talent (and then, of course, for something else) rather than on his personality/character.

EDIT: What I'm saying is: wrestling is of secondary importance in wrestling.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QW0eLXU7v30

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

I tried to watch Raw a while ago and they were doing this confusing "draft" the whole episode and you can tell they (Vince) were just making things up on the spot and making these idiots read from a teleprompter. Just so bad. No one was wrestling anything. And then I saw somewhere that this draft was supposed to BOOST ratings?

Wrestling is dying.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

This is a v powerful video

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
The draft has been a thing for years. Everyone thinks it's dumb and none of the "rules" make sense.

"I'm going to use my draft pick to draft 3 people, one of whom isn't even a wrestler"
"Ok, well I'm going to draft part of a tag team even though the whole team counts as one pick"

Real sports have drafts and Vince wants to pretend WWE is a real sport.

The SmackDown draft was worth it though just for the part where they cut off Cody Rhodes's music right before the part where the crowd sings along so HHH told them to get it out of their system before he read the next name.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Mulaney Power Move posted:

I tried to watch Raw a while ago and they were doing this confusing "draft" the whole episode and you can tell they (Vince) were just making things up on the spot and making these idiots read from a teleprompter. Just so bad. No one was wrestling anything. And then I saw somewhere that this draft was supposed to BOOST ratings?

Wrestling is dying.

The draft used to be a major thing, ever since the WCW invasion feud ended and they had way too many people on the roster. Back when the company had a roster that people cared about, the draft was a way to really shake things up and put a fresh coat of paint over everything. There was a time where it felt like a new beginning that was building up new feuds.

But over time, it stopped really mattering. One year they announced the Wild Card system where one or two Raw guys could make a guest appearance on SmackDown every week and vice versa, but then you'd have like five guest appearances in a week while the announcers would just shrug and say "Wild Card rule!" Like many times, the rosters would start to blur together and eventually they would go for another draft to make people interested again.

Much like the Legends Night episodes of Raw, it's something that used to be a really cool novelty that they just started spamming to the point that it no longer really matters, it's done worse and worse every time they do it, and it highlights just how awful they are at building new stars.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
the muppets guest hosted an episode of raw

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

Nice title

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

But enough about the announcers.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
Miro was back on TV on AEW someone mentioned in the last page, so anyone know what the deal with him was?

Been lots of rumours, but I've suspected there were some issues between TK and Miro, so he wasn't around.

That or Miro was going through a serious medical situation, and they did a ridiculous good job keeping it quiet, kinda like they did with Brodie Lee.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

Many of them were, in fact, quite terrible in the ring - Hogan being a classic example.

Hogan was good in Japan!

Wrestling is dying.

Watch literally anything other than the WWE. The rest of the industry is doing just fine.

The Last Call posted:

Miro was back on TV on AEW someone mentioned in the last page, so anyone know what the deal with him was?

Been lots of rumours, but I've suspected there were some issues between TK and Miro, so he wasn't around.

That or Miro was going through a serious medical situation, and they did a ridiculous good job keeping it quiet, kinda like they did with Brodie Lee.

Miro kept turning down AEW's creative offers because they all involved 'hey we're going to build you up and then you're going to put someone else over'. Allegedly.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

The Last Call posted:

Miro was off TV for a long while due to injury. He finally came back and got involved in the All-Atlantic Championship (now International Championship) tournament. In the finals, at last year's Forbidden Door, he got in an incident that started a feud with Malakai Black and the House of Black. They were building towards a big rivalry and All Out had him team up with Sting and Darby Allin against the House of Black. Miro's team won and afterwards, Malakai did some big bow to the cheering crowd that was not seen on TV.

While there was a lot of speculation about what was going on with him, Malakai was essentially taking a break from wrestling. He ended up coming back to AEW down the line after getting his poo poo together, but at the time, it really killed Miro's momentum. Miro cut a pre-taped promo on the next Dynamite and that was it. The last we'd see of him for a long time.

At one point, his wife CJ/Lana had been going on a rant on social media about how Tony Khan didn't know how to run a wrestling business and that WWE was so much better. It was very apparent that during the time when Vince was fired and Triple H was in charge, she wanted Miro out of AEW and back to WWE. She noticeably stopped talking about this the moment Vince came back.

The word is that AEW did have ideas for Miro, but he refused to go along with them. Such ideas include losing in the finals of a #1 contender tournament (won by Ricky Starks) and being the runner-up in a #1 contender battle royal that would be won by Hangman Page. Fans went from "Where the hell is Miro?!" to "Oh... gently caress that guy. Go back to being booked into cuck angles."

And now he's back as part of the build to the new AEW Collision show existing.

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

At one point I should really go into the unfortunate Raw Guest Host run.

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

Vandar posted:

Watch literally anything other than the WWE. The rest of the industry is doing just fine.

I will personally bring glory back to the WWE by defeating the Gobbeldy Gooker for the 24/7 championship.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
Thanks for the replies.

It appears Superstar Billy Graham is on life support, doctors want to remove him from it. The wife has yet to agree.

So prepare for that to happen.

Many people copied this guy, the most famous of all being Hulk Hogan who copied everything.

Prof. Crocodile
Jun 27, 2020

Szyznyk posted:

I will personally bring glory back to the WWE by defeating the Gobbeldy Gooker for the 24/7 championship.

:patriot:

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

Gavok posted:

Miro was off TV for a long while due to injury. He finally came back and got involved in the All-Atlantic Championship (now International Championship) tournament. In the finals, at last year's Forbidden Door, he got in an incident that started a feud with Malakai Black and the House of Black. They were building towards a big rivalry and All Out had him team up with Sting and Darby Allin against the House of Black. Miro's team won and afterwards, Malakai did some big bow to the cheering crowd that was not seen on TV.

While there was a lot of speculation about what was going on with him, Malakai was essentially taking a break from wrestling. He ended up coming back to AEW down the line after getting his poo poo together, but at the time, it really killed Miro's momentum. Miro cut a pre-taped promo on the next Dynamite and that was it. The last we'd see of him for a long time.

At one point, his wife CJ/Lana had been going on a rant on social media about how Tony Khan didn't know how to run a wrestling business and that WWE was so much better. It was very apparent that during the time when Vince was fired and Triple H was in charge, she wanted Miro out of AEW and back to WWE. She noticeably stopped talking about this the moment Vince came back.

The word is that AEW did have ideas for Miro, but he refused to go along with them. Such ideas include losing in the finals of a #1 contender tournament (won by Ricky Starks) and being the runner-up in a #1 contender battle royal that would be won by Hangman Page. Fans went from "Where the hell is Miro?!" to "Oh... gently caress that guy. Go back to being booked into cuck angles."

And now he's back as part of the build to the new AEW Collision show existing.

after that you can do the stardust/steven amell feud lol

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

The Last Call posted:

Superstar Billy Graham

"The wrestling business is worse today because all these guys are on steroids."

"Well, who started that, Superstar?"

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

I watched the WWE documentary on Billy Graham. It's pretty sad. It's got some passive aggressive part too. At one point toward the end, Vince is saying "How can you not love this guy?" and he tells a story about how Graham gave a bunch of color TVs to Vince Senior as a gift and then asks, " How can you not love a guy who does that? Of course they all happened to be stolen from the Holiday Inn."

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

I watched the WWE documentary on Billy Graham. It's pretty sad. It's got some passive aggressive part too. At one point toward the end, Vince is saying "How can you not love this guy?" and he tells a story about how Graham gave a bunch of color TVs to Vince Senior as a gift and then asks, " How can you not love a guy who does that? Of course they all happened to be stolen from the Holiday Inn."

lol

Wee
Dec 16, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
Anything but WWE is going to be good.

Dudley Boys and The Acolytes are good tho.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dFLuGQrC48M

Wee fucked around with this message at 16:56 on May 16, 2023

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Wee posted:

Anything but WWE is going to be good.

Dudley Boys and The Acolytes are good tho.

Bubba Ray and JBL both are retroactively bad. They are currently so bad all the previous work is bad by association.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
ric flairs last match was so hosed up and disturbing that everyone involved should be in jail for elder abuse

Wee
Dec 16, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

Jonny Nox posted:

Bubba Ray and JBL both are retroactively bad. They are currently so bad all the previous work is bad by association.

Whatever. Next youre gonna say the Sheepshearders are bad...

The Taxman
Jan 2, 2007

greetings sweeties, let me give you a back massage. for i am a whiz!

Jonny Nox posted:

Breaking up the Dudley Boyz and the APA in one night was part of what got me out of wrestling

In retrospect, maybe Vince was just saving me from two decades of garbage

TVGM
Mar 17, 2005

"It is not moral, it is not acceptable, and it is not sustainable that the top one-tenth of 1 percent now owns almost as much wealth as the bottom 90 percent"

Yam Slacker

The Taxman posted:

Breaking up the Dudley Boyz and the APA in one night was part of what got me out of wrestling

In retrospect, maybe Vince was just saving me from two decades of garbage

How can you not love a guy who does that?

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Gavok posted:

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

did they let Statler and Waldorf commentate?

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

ric flairs last match was so hosed up and disturbing that everyone involved should be in jail for elder abuse

It’s hard to watch him be interviewed. I wouldn’t want to watch him wrestle.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

I remember catching this. It was terrible.

The thing about a Grumpy Cat is - it doesn't work live. After a few seconds it just looks like a normal cat. Miz gave this really long monologue directed at it (it was probably less than a minute but it felt longer) and the cat is just sitting there staring. It started to fall asleep. I remember it ending with a lingering slow zoom of the poor cat looking miserable.

Now imagine three hours of that.

I did like when the wrestlers would do a bit selling toys or fast food or whatever. I remember Enzo Amore cutting a promo over a plate of chicken tenders that started with him implying he was going to go on a date and gently caress them.

ARMBAR A COP
Nov 24, 2007

WOO crispy WOO tangy

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

1985 commercial of the Von Erich's at the local pizza parlour:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVotqu-pZw4

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Szyznyk posted:

It’s hard to watch him be interviewed. I wouldn’t want to watch him wrestle.

The first thing he did after that match, after legitimately blacking out several times, was to start cracking into a cooler of beer he had in the locker room. I believe it was the Undertaker (I forget his real name. Marc?) who said "What the gently caress, Ric?" and made him drink gatorade.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Crowetron posted:

I don't think so, but Sheamus reunited with his cousin Beaker.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

The first thing he did after that match, after legitimately blacking out several times, was to start cracking into a cooler of beer he had in the locker room. I believe it was the Undertaker (I forget his real name. Marc?) who said "What the gently caress, Ric?" and made him drink gatorade.

two gatorades lol

the entire thing was really depressing and terrifying has further tarnished his wrestling legacy ric flair is determined to reenact the wrestler and die in the ring dn the people who should be preventing this are just enabling him

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
ric flair talked to 40 doctors and 39 told him no and refused to medically clear him and the last one was dr. nick

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
When I was still watching rasslin' actively in like the last bit of WCW Ric looked like he had a foot in the grave. Can't imagine 25 years and a multitude unrestrained WOOOOOs really helped much with that

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Literally A Person posted:

When I was still watching rasslin' actively in like the last bit of WCW Ric looked like he had a foot in the grave. Can't imagine 25 years and a multitude unrestrained WOOOOOs really helped much with that

they got one last good match out of him for his retirement match with HBK in 2008 and ric flair immeditally squandered it by going on to wrestle again at TNA lol

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Crowetron posted:

:stat: That doesn't work for me, brother! DOO HOO HOO! :wal:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

Remember watching a yt review of that and being terrified, can't imagine actually seeing it live. Either on TV or in person.

At some point tho the yt review showed a picture of the other old folks there like Bret Hart and The Undertaker and everyone looked either horrified, pissed off or having none of this poo poo.