Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

X-Ray Pecs posted:

I didn’t see Baby Driver, but Last Night in Soho is baaaaaaad and really makes you question who thought any part of act three was a good idea.

Last Night in Soho for all its flaws still considerably better than Baby Driver

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

World’s End was a disappointment to me to be honest

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I actually really enjoyed World's End but I'm also the person that could never get through Hot Fuzz.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

FlamingLiberal posted:

World’s End was a disappointment to me to be honest

It's okay but kind of a bummer compared to the other joyous entries in the Cornetto trilogy. Which is a shame because IRL, mint is the best Cornetto

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
World’s End feels more personal and specific to a particular time and place of life than the rest of the trilogy

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Alan Smithee posted:

how do people feel about world's end

feel like that got memory holed

The problem is that the best part of Shaun and Fuzz is the buddy relationship between Frost and Pegg, but then World's End makes them not like each other. I mean, taken on its own it's a decent film but it's nowhere near the other two. Hot Fuzz is basically a perfect movie.

Baby Driver is rear end. The crime boss who's supposed to actually be quite good at what he does hires morons for his crew. The hooker-with-the-heart-of-gold turn at the end is unbelievable, it's pure screenwriter fiat. The protagonist (and hell, everyone in it) is unlikable. There's one good driving scene. And the film beats you over the head with its soundtrack. Each of these things in and of itself would be okay but all of them together makes an rear end movie.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

feedmyleg posted:

Nah, Pilgrim reaches very high highs but bungled the ending. Hot Fuzz, however, is a perfect movie.

Hot Fuzz is Wright’s best movie. Shaun of the Dead is also great, but it really can’t touch Hot Fuzz.

Alan Smithee posted:

I really liked The World’s End when it was a hosed up loser trying to have one last good time with his buddies who hate his guts, but then the sci-fi stuff undercut that. Even though I’ve struggled with drinking in my life, I still thought making the climactic moment Simon Pegg yelling the film’s subtext at a computer was a pretty underwhelming way to end things.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

yikes

Magic Pus
Mar 28, 2010
I rewatched ‘World’s End’ recently and enjoyed it even more than when I first saw it in theaters and that’s almost certainly due to its themes growing only more resonant as I get older. Also, I’m a big Sisters of Mercy fan so the running thread of ‘This Corrosion’ already bumps the movie up half a star for me. I love Edgar Wright and I’m always crossing my fingers for another ‘Hot Fuzz’ level masterpiece from him. He’s one of those guys like GDT who seems to have ten times more high-profile unrealized projects than what ever ends up onscreen.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Rough stuff.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

for how much of a focus Baby Driver puts on its soundtrack, the soundtrack to Last Night in Soho is way better, and actually feels like the songs were picked for a reason beyond "here are some songs i like"

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
The thing that’s appalling about Last Night In Soho is that it’s obviously a movie Wright made to say “look, I’m a good guy, I understand #MeToo!” but then made the villain of his movie a victim of sex trafficking, and after seeing all the horrific sex abuse that went on in the mod scene, the main character still fuckin loves it and uses it as the inspiration for her fashion. Dreadful movie.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Alan Smithee posted:

I think it resonated so deeply with a certain subset of people that they overlooked that it wasn't a very good movie. Some folks praise it as Wright's best despite it being incredibly flawed and kind of a slog.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 18:23 on May 16, 2023

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

it's a testament to hot fuzz's quality that people talk about Edgar wright in the same category as other distinguished directors when the rest of his ouerve is decidedly mid on average

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Outside the dance scene (which is amazing) there's honestly not that much to Last Night in Soho.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

kalel posted:

it's a testament to hot fuzz's quality that people talk about Edgar wright in the same category as other distinguished directors when the rest of his ouerve is decidedly mid on average

Well yeah, there's plenty of directors that have never done anything nearly as good as Hot Fuzz or Shaun of the dead, so I'm happy to still think of him a very good director. There do apparently seem to be a few directors/artists who just had one or two really great workers in them and after that just seemed to only be able to put out pretty middling stuff. I know I'd certainly be happy with my career if I made something on the level of Hot Fuzz and then nothing else but crap.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Alhazred posted:

Outside the dance scene (which is amazing) there's honestly not that much to Last Night in Soho.

Correct. But it did not make me want to die of cringe like Baby Driver did.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

for how much of a focus Baby Driver puts on its soundtrack, the soundtrack to Last Night in Soho is way better, and actually feels like the songs were picked for a reason beyond "here are some songs i like"

Last night in soho only comes alive when it hits a musical sequence. I don’t think Wright particularly cares for making features right now, he seems passionate about playlists and maybe music videos

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Shaun is a very fun movie that's solid throughout, but rarely touches greatness. The folks I've talked to who really revere it seem to be people it hit hard for in high school and that elevates it for them. Folks who I've talked to who discovered it later don't seem to hold it in as high regard.

That being said, it's still top-tier compared with other comedies from the past few decades.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
Shaun also started the trend of light-hearted zombie rom-coms, which... I dunno, I never saw any of the others but that sure is a legacy.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

my memory of shaun of the dead has been tainted by the fact that comedy central used to play it when they had nothing else available and i’ve seen front to back about two dozen times

it’s a fine movie but the energy is one of mild bemusement up until the third act. it also feels very old now because it was responding to a very different cultural attitude to zombies in 2004 than exists in 2023.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Extremely true

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Yeah when Shaun came out, media wasn't as over-saturated with zombie content to the extent it is now.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

It's funny to think that when Shaun of the Dead came out, it being a zombie movie was a novelty as much as it being a zombie parody/comedy. Of the modern zombie wave there was really the original Resident Evil movie, 28 Days Later... that might have been it at the time? The Dawn of the Dead remake was the same time around. The Zombie Survival Guide had come out which I remember being a big hit for internet nerds (I think I ordered it and the Real Ultimate Power book at the same time from Amazon) but I don't think I was aware of the Walking Dead comic for a few more years.

feedmyleg posted:

Shaun is a very fun movie that's solid throughout, but rarely touches greatness. The folks I've talked to who really revere it seem to be people it hit hard for in high school and that elevates it for them. Folks who I've talked to who discovered it later don't seem to hold it in as high regard.

That being said, it's still top-tier compared with other comedies from the past few decades.

That's me, I was a senior in high school when Shaun came out and my friends and I must have seen it a half dozen times in theaters. Still love it and rewatch it every year or two. The ending loses a bit of steam but the first 4/5 at least are still extremely solid, and the very ending of it I think makes up for the dip. I'm one of those who loves it more than Hot Fuzz, which I honestly might have only seen a few times.

Grendels Dad posted:

Shaun also started the trend of light-hearted zombie rom-coms, which... I dunno, I never saw any of the others but that sure is a legacy.

There's Warm Bodies, but I can't really think of another... Fido, I guess?

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

World's End is fine but compared to Shaun and Hot Fuzz, it just can't hold a candle.

Scott Pilgrim is as good as adaptation as you were going to get with a single movie. It cuts out so much of the characterization and little moments from the comics though and then it has to do a completely different ending since the final volume wasn't out yet.

I don't think the movie goes far enough in going 'no, Scott really is an awful piece of poo poo' unfortunately.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
Hot Fuzz is two thirds to three quarters of a perfect movie but by god the 'doing michael bay but ineptly' third act drags so extremely much for me. I think that's why I appreciated Scott Pilgrim and Baby Driver so much: Wright realising his blind spot and going to action movie school. World's End also shows a real effort to improve as an action director and is really creative at times.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Baby Driver is 100% Wright watching Drive & saying “I can do that too... the style of Scott Pilgrim!!!”, and in that sense it’s an enormous success.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

who wore the scorpion jacket better, Drive or Desperado

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012

Alan Smithee posted:

Brexit has coloured the ending in a really unfortunate way.

Captain_Person
Apr 7, 2013

WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT FOR THE CARE OF THE REAPER MAN?

Chairman Capone posted:

Anna and the Apocalypse?

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

High Warlord Zog posted:

Brexit has coloured the ending in a really unfortunate way.

what?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Arnold is saying that the long proposed Twins sequel is dead. He claims that Jason Reitman put the kibosh on it after his father died.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
also arnold and danny look too different now

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Chairman Capone posted:

Captain_Person posted:

Anna and the Apocalypse?

Yeah, Warm Bodies and Anna... were what I was thinking of specifically, which is probably not enough to call it a trend. It felt like there have to be more but that's all I can think of, excluding DTV schlock anyway.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

There's the Disney Channel movie trilogy Zombies which was is also a musical and a ham-fisted metaphor for desegregation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_QbrNWShWs

I know they want to make a movie about racism that's not actually about racism but in real life racial minorities don't have superstrength or have to wear a wristband that prevent them from eating people.

Then the sequels also include werewolves and aliens.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
The utter cynicism of Warm Bodies really is my favorite thing about Hollywood. “Twilight but he’s not a werewolf, he’s a zombie” man we will make bank.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Remulak posted:

The utter cynicism of Warm Bodies really is my favorite thing about Hollywood. “Twilight but he’s not a werewolf, he’s a zombie” man we will make bank.

And it manages to be good, a lot of it due to Nicholas Hoult and Rob Corddry playing the two main zombies.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

the score is also surprisingly good and well-utilized

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Remulak posted:

It is actually Romeo and Juliet but he's a zombie. Not just in concept but character names.

chibi luda
Apr 17, 2013

I find Wright's whole schtick actively grating tbh. I think I got about 20 minutes into Scott Pilgrim before tapping out. Funko Pop rear end movie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
tbf it's his worst one by far