Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

edogawa rando posted:

I never noticed the fanny pack or his kid wearing a US soccer shirt.

Even the Hulkster isn't above how handy the fanny pack is, brother.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
I hope this Ron Garvin and Jimmy Cornette cage match pays off

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Red posted:

Wearing a shirt with the logo of the PPV you're main eventing counts.

I don’t see his name in huge red letters.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Aku posted:

There was footage of Warrior and Hogan making peace a day or two before Warrior’s death as well. Warrior laid out all of his grievances and Hogan stood there agreeing with a lot of it and they eventually hugged it out; I wish I could find that video but hopefully someone else had to have seen it too.
The secret to getting Hogan to act halfway decent is to stick a camera on him.

Also, in that jncos pic I never noticed he was out in public wearing a t-shirt his Fall Brawl match like a fuckin' dork.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

LividLiquid posted:

Also, in that jncos pic I never noticed he was out in public wearing a t-shirt his Fall Brawl match like a fuckin' boss

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

:hmmyes:

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high
Rafts on sale on Ebay for 300$ gogogogogo goons

ZixTheYeti
Jul 12, 2005

Hellarious!

LividLiquid posted:

Considering his prior history, he has to know about the camera for that to be true.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
I've been slowly making my way to the 2nd Crockett Cup. The 2nd iteration of the 4 horsemen felt forced. Luger while very imposing is not a very good wrestler and is super stiff in promos. Ollie's anti-hero face turn is weird, but funny. The Garvin face fire was an oh poo poo moment. The gorgeous face turn was a long time coming. Cornette, midnight express, and big bubba are always a treat. The semi-sideling of dusty, Nikita, and rock-n-roll express is weird. Lmao at raging bull and Rick rude being tag team champions. I like the Armstrongs. A number of wrestlers just aren't around much, but cut minute promos and it is weird. Flair is flair and is a great heel. I don't see what people see in Windham. The loss of magnum is felt.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
Wasn't Luger supposed to be the next big thing in wrestling in 1989 or whenever?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Kosmo Gallion posted:

Wasn't Luger supposed to be the next big thing in wrestling in 1989 or whenever?

He was basically ushered into wrestling as the next big thing.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

Kosmo Gallion posted:

Crockett seems to think so back in 1987

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Luger is very weird as a wrestler as there are moments during his WCW run where if the company got behind him he could of been the top guy (they should of pulled the trigger on Luger in 90 whe Sting got hurt). But also when they did pull the trigger it just didn't work out cause Luger either wasn't motivated or was in an impossible situation (see when Flair left/was fired)

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Mr Hootington posted:

I've been slowly making my way to the 2nd Crockett Cup. The 2nd iteration of the 4 horsemen felt forced. Luger while very imposing is not a very good wrestler and is super stiff in promos. Ollie's anti-hero face turn is weird, but funny. The Garvin face fire was an oh poo poo moment. The gorgeous face turn was a long time coming. Cornette, midnight express, and big bubba are always a treat. The semi-sideling of dusty, Nikita, and rock-n-roll express is weird. Lmao at raging bull and Rick rude being tag team champions. I like the Armstrongs. A number of wrestlers just aren't around much, but cut minute promos and it is weird. Flair is flair and is a great heel. I don't see what people see in Windham. The loss of magnum is felt.

Windham was loving awesome for a couple of years there, but he had a lot of trouble staying motivated and once he wasn't hurting for money anymore he pretty much stopped caring. Luger's motivation problems were even worse and it seemed like he actively hated wrestling most of the time.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
Did "Loverboy" Dennis get hurt in early 1987? He disappeared to and they brought in some new guy.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Mr Hootington posted:

Did "Loverboy" Dennis get hurt in early 1987? He disappeared to and they brought in some new guy.

Cornette said he just stopped showing up and not even him or Bobby ever found out what happened, even after Condrey started wrestling again

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

No, he just packed his bags and went to the AWA where he teamed with Randy Rose as another Midnight Express with Heyman as their manager

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Cornette said he just stopped showing up and not even him or Bobby ever found out what happened, even after Condrey started wrestling again

Does he ever come back? It is so weird that this happens with wrestlers regularly during this era

HerraS posted:

No, he just packed his bags and went to the AWA where he teamed with Randy Rose as another Midnight Express with Heyman as their manager

More money or drama? Seems weird leaving a gig of the #1 heel tag team.

Edit: I liked the Nikita face turn at the beginning, but they have turned him into a jobber at this point. He is in that weird dusty zone were you are a top face, but aren't allowed to win and need to be constantly beaten up by foes

Mr Hootington fucked around with this message at 17:27 on May 16, 2023

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Eventually Randy and Dennis managed by Paul E Dangerously, come in and feud with Stan Lane and Bobby Eaton. Some good matches.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
Idk if there is a thread for it, but a video was uploaded by one of the wrestling accounts I use to watch the old nwa stuff that said Superstar Billy Graham is on life support. 😞

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Luger was so over in 96 - 98 they really should have gone all in on him beating Hogan and winning the title

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
That doesn't work for me, brother.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Mr Hootington posted:

Does he ever come back? It is so weird that this happens with wrestlers regularly during this era

More money or drama? Seems weird leaving a gig of the #1 heel tag team.

Cornette has said it was a personal issue for Dennis, but won't elaborate on what. And yeah he came back for a bit as one half of the Original Midnight Express, but that didn't last long because the bookers understandably didn't trust him given how he'd left before. Plus they hated Paul E., also for understandable reasons.

Stan ended up with Bobby after a singles stint in Florida, and he had a really good tag team pedigree from being one of the Fabulous Ones, so he was a good replacement. Cornette originally wanted Dr. Tom Pritchard to replace Dennis, which wouldn't have been as good.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

CombineThresher posted:

Cornette has said it was a personal issue for Dennis, but won't elaborate on what. And yeah he came back for a bit as one half of the Original Midnight Express, but that didn't last long because the bookers understandably didn't trust him given how he'd left before. Plus they hated Paul E., also for understandable reasons.

Stan ended up with Bobby after a singles stint in Florida, and he had a really good tag team pedigree from being one of the Fabulous Ones, so he was a good replacement. Cornette originally wanted Dr. Tom Pritchard to replace Dennis, which wouldn't have been as good.

why the gently caress did jim cornette love dr. tom pritchard so much

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Eventually Randy and Dennis managed by Paul E Dangerously, come in and feud with Stan Lane and Bobby Eaton. Some good matches.

And then right before the big blow off match between the two on PPV, Dennis once again hosed off, forcing them to replace him with Jack Victory for the show.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
The arn show covered Dennis last year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJMZJ_xpktg

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Halloween Jack posted:

That doesn't work for me, brother.

Sting didn't work because he wasn't working out to Eric and Hogan's satisfaction and didn't have a tan. Luger didn't work out because not those reasons, shut up, Hogan never exercised creative control.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Shard posted:

Luger was so over in 96 - 98 they really should have gone all in on him beating Hogan and winning the title

"Sure dude Luger can beat me for the title; OR MAYBE NOT, brother!"

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
Every story I read Hogan sucks so much in the 90s

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Mr Hootington posted:

Every story I read Hogan sucks so much

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Mr Hootington posted:

Hogan sucks so much

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.

Dawgstar posted:

Sting didn't work because he wasn't working out to Eric and Hogan's satisfaction and didn't have a tan. Luger didn't work out because not those reasons, shut up, Hogan never exercised creative control.

That Nitro Book had Eric saying Sting was going through some major personal problems at the time.

I think I heard elsewhere that Sting found Jesus and then told his wife everything that goes on when wrestlers are on the road and caused a ton of issues for other wrestlers and their wives. Was this roughly the same time frame?

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Shard posted:

It was such amazing, long-term storytelling, too. Luger was this heel nobody trusted except Sting. Sting was always on his side. Then the nWo, to cause division in their enemies, makes it looks like Sting is on their side. Despite all Sting had done for him, Lex doubted Sting and paid for it, being forced to quit and costing WCW. He had to earn his redemption, first by making Arn quit, then by proving he would trust Sting from now on, and finally by defeating Hogan and bringing the title back to WCW. All this over like two years.

I never saw this kind of longevity in storytelling even when I liked WWF/E.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Mr Hootington posted:

Every story I read Hogan sucks so much in the 90s

When Elizabeth was trying to leave Randy Savage she was scared for her life. Hogan let her hide out at his house to be safe from him.

There you have it, the one good Hulk Hogan story.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

MassRafTer posted:

When Elizabeth was trying to leave Randy Savage she was scared for her life. Hogan let her hide out at his house to be safe from him.

There you have it, the one good Hulk Hogan story.

Thank you

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
Out of the 2, I think Ric Flair is better than Hulk Hogan.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

To balance it out, Jesse Ventura wanted to start a wrestlers' union and Hogan snitched to Vince about it.

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

Mr Hootington posted:

Out of the 2, I think Ric Flair is better than Hulk Hogan.

in what sense?

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

Suplex Liberace posted:

in what sense?

I think flair is more entertaining inside and outside the ring. Keep in mind I've only watched 2 and a half years of nwa and just a handful of Hogan things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

No way, Hogan is a total piece of poo poo but he’s way more entertaining than Ric Flair on just about every metric except workrate and nobody cares about workrate brother