Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: 16-bit Butt-Head)

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

jisforjosh posted:

Thanks to Elon Musk, I've been recommended this flat earther, gravity denying, traditionalist account that doesn't believe in satellites

https://twitter.com/TedLogan1010

https://twitter.com/TedLogan1010/status/1658292572689760256

I worked with a guy who believed this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009

Mr Hootington posted:

he's right

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

jisforjosh posted:

Thanks to Elon Musk, I've been recommended this flat earther, gravity denying, traditionalist account that doesn't believe in satellites

Theyre mostly spheres??

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

Mr Hootington posted:

Did he also refuse to use microwaves

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

titty_baby_ posted:

Theyre mostly spheres??

the half earth theory

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

jisforjosh posted:

man flat earthers keep multiplying and it rules. people on tiktok spend hours on shared lives arguing over the flat earth. we literally have entirely failed to educate like 3 generations in a row on the most basic science.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

WoodrowSkillson posted:

man flat earthers keep multiplying and it rules. people on tiktok spend hours on shared lives arguing over the flat earth. we literally have entirely failed to educate like 3 generations in a row on the most basic science.

lol that owns

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

WoodrowSkillson posted:

There’s an element of “lead a horse to water, can’t make it drink” here. Some people decide to be unreachable despite the communication efforts of scientists and policy makers. See ivermectin, vaccine hesitancy, etc. If it’s not directly experiential (you never hear anyone arguing that gasoline is a shared fiction and cars really run on unicorn poo), it can be ignored or misinterpreted. Blame shouldn’t fall entirely on educators for not making reality sufficiently exciting that it overcomes some people’s tendency to want to be part of the exclusive “in group” that has all the real answers.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

titty_baby_ posted:

Did he also refuse to use microwaves

No, but he did drink 128oz of instant coffee a day and showed be a sex tape he made of him and his GF after his first home visit weekend from the court required halfway house

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Grundulum posted:

There’s an element of “lead a horse to water, can’t make it drink” here. Some people decide to be unreachable despite the communication efforts of scientists and policy makers. See ivermectin, vaccine hesitancy, etc. If it’s not directly experiential (you never hear anyone arguing that gasoline is a shared fiction and cars really run on unicorn poo), it can be ignored or misinterpreted. Blame shouldn’t fall entirely on educators for not making reality sufficiently exciting that it overcomes some people’s tendency to want to be part of the exclusive “in group” that has all the real answers.

There's also this overlap between those that demand religious faith without evidence but then also refuse to believe actual evidence in anything else.

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

I can understand and empathize with the conspiracy theories like this where your average person has to rely on an appeal to authority for the facts of the matter, but for fucks sake it's not out of reach for the average person to do an experiment showing the curvature of the earth.

Durf
Aug 16, 2017

also social media amplifies everything. there's good money in running against consensus, reinforcing biases, and living off youtube revenue and speaking engagements

there used to be a miniscule chance you'd see these kooks IRL handing out pamphlets or plastering their cars with insanity. now they're two clicks away in the algorithm

e: also a big shout out to the 'learning' TV channels which gave up on education to chase ratings and funnel conspiracy bullshit into people's homes 24/7

Durf has issued a correction as of 18:56 on May 16, 2023

wemgo
Feb 15, 2007
flat earth is the best cult because it makes it so easy to ignore everything else they say.

they literally went looking for a new idea and chose something so basic, so old, and so demonstrably untrue that you can just sort of give up on trusting their opinions on anything.

flat earth theory is the Great Filter for human interaction

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Just a Moron posted:

I can understand and empathize with the conspiracy theories like this where your average person has to rely on an appeal to authority for the facts of the matter, but for fucks sake it's not out of reach for the average person to do an experiment showing the curvature of the earth.

I think you have to conceptualize it as like one of the big plateaus of conspiratorial thinking tho. like if you believe that, you have gotten to the point where you are trusting the interior reasoning of your brain over any actual sensory input you're receiving. you've fully internalized the narrative that some powerful force is trying to deceive you through any means necessary.

Durf
Aug 16, 2017

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

I think you have to conceptualize it as like one of the big plateaus of conspiratorial thinking tho. like if you believe that, you have gotten to the point where you are trusting the interior reasoning of your brain over any actual sensory input you're receiving. you've fully internalized the narrative that some powerful force is trying to deceive you through any means necessary.

ya there's a reason it's a slippery slope from flat earth to

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012

Grundulum posted:

Most of what people are told about the world are self-serving lies. Everyone knows this and everyone is desperate to escape. People are just randomly swinging at things in the hope they’ll break and reveal the truth behind it. Most will fall further into traps that target this aimlessness.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

the conspiracy nonsense was ubiquitous before the internet as well

wemgo
Feb 15, 2007
someone should become a prophet of flat earth and lay a moral framework for all current and future flat earthers to adhere to, lest they be forced into a spherical-earth afterlife

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

euphronius posted:

the conspiracy nonsense was ubiquitous before the internet as well

yeah but it was restricted to some AM community radio station at 3am while you were driving through the Ozarks

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

not really tho that existed.

there was all kinds of magazines and newsletter and people talked at Klan meetings for example

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

If the Time Cube guy were still alive he would be President

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
It was, what's new about it is getting to see in real time the way new permutations of those conspiracy thoughts are born, evolve, and die because of all these people sharing these ideas with each other anonymously online instead

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

tabloids are even still around today

Durf
Aug 16, 2017

i'm a fun of hollow earth myself. it reminds me of when i used to draw my own fantasy maps as a kid

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Durf posted:

i'm a fun of hollow earth myself. it reminds me of when i used to draw my own fantasy maps as a kid

Also it's real

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

honestly the first part of this isn't wrong. the amount of time you're "expected" to spend driving your kids to organized poo poo is loving wild and if you're a suburbanite it's even worse.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

WhyteRyce posted:

sweet we got a “in Minecraft” loophole for twitter

https://twitter.com/ellagirwin/status/1658255587229028355

tbf if Elon Musk said he was going to send me to space I would be very concerned for my safety.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

leftist heap posted:

honestly the first part of this isn't wrong. the amount of time you're "expected" to spend driving your kids to organized poo poo is loving wild and if you're a suburbanite it's even worse.

Yeah but it’s not “urban sprawl is bad” it’s “I hate my lovely kid because they will one day betray me by talking poo poo about me to their friends so I refuse to do anything above bare minimum for the piece of poo poo” because the constant need to feed their brain worms outrage and anger of perceived grievances has turned inward to their family to keep the flow uninterrupted

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

https://twitter.com/JGreenblattADL/status/1658465143393595393?t=rf_oBpT6uwzScWNe7LUfvQ&s=19
https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1658531953329463303?t=HJwWGhDbzHIVfmne0CJVhQ&s=19

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

Studies have shown that Elon Musk's head is way too attached to his fuckin body

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

ben shapino posted:

looking into this

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

ben shapino posted:

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

jisforjosh posted:

its flat. problem?

endocriminologist
May 17, 2021

SUFFERINGLOVER:press send + soul + earth lol
inncntsoul:ok

(inncntsoul has left the game)

ARCHON_MASTER:lol
MAMMON69:lol
What you globeheads refer to as the southern hemisphere is actually just inner earth

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
that nasa picture also looks flat. not sure why they're being singled out?

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
around the world in 80 days?

MYTH

BUSTED

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
the earth is the center of the universe and the sun orbits it learn your science

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

moist turtleneck posted:

around the world in 80 days?

MYTH

BUSTED

a circle is round. you can go around a circle

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Oh no, George Soros is donating to milquetoast lib politicians and charities and doing nothing else.

Try getting that deal from Magneto.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
soros arc is going to get lit