Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

I wonder how many total Patriot systems have been made total?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Over 1000 launchers

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

HonorableTB posted:

I am fully aware of that but this also isn't D&D and therefore I am not going into a 10 paragraph dissertation about the intricacies of the Soviet corruption and special privilege system when I can make a shorthand joke about it instead.

... and still get a sixer because someone disagrees with your references, or what conclusion you drew from the said materials, and online newsfeed from different politically non-aligned news channels.

But yeah, Tsar Putin's little looting-based mob empire isn't and wasn't even close to the level of pure evil that Soviet Union was capable and committed to unleashing against its own citizens and the people of their neighboring countries. One of the greatest tricks SU ever pulled was to successfully play the victim card after WW2, and as a reward got to keep all the neighbors they managed to occupy during the war, and brutally subjugate and abuse them for the next 40 years. And that has nothing to do on messing up the Inner Asian climate around the Aral Sea, or Stalin's purges, or even the "run of the mill" everyday brutality towards people who were thinking too loud, or in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Der Kyhe fucked around with this message at 18:36 on May 16, 2023

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Randarkman posted:

Corruption in the Soviet Union was far worse than just that.

I kind of hate whenever this whole point comes out and it seems like it's kidn of saying "hey, the Soviet Union wasn't that bad". Yes it was.

Even so it is astonishing how the things the USSR were world leaders in (like crystal growth) ended up being raided and totally destroyed by modern Russia.

And this is with the USSR's greatest crystal scientist, AA Sternberg, getting kicked out of the institute he founded because he got into a scientific argument with a chemist who had connections.

Sternberg 'lied on his resume' by not reporting that he had been one of the engineering students recruited by the government to help build the Volga canal, which was suspicious because the workers were a hotbed of dissent and suspicious figures (the Gulag inmates government had used as forced labor).

Eventually someone even higher said "I have an important crystal project, get me your best man", the other scientist said "okay, but he's doing apartment construction right now", and the highup said "why the hell is he doing that" and reassigned him back.

Like this is a low loving bar to be less competent than.

Tunicate fucked around with this message at 18:23 on May 16, 2023

concise
Aug 31, 2004

Ain't much to do
'round here.

Captain Splendid posted:

Have a look at grimreapers on YouTube, they do a bunch of naval warfare setups in DCS which, while not real, gives a decent idea of what it's like.

Was this demonstrated in their campaign as Kekistan fighting against Antifa SJWs? :v:

Very much a derail, but Grim Reapers suck poo poo
https://www.reddit.com/r/hoggit/comments/i4qcig/a_running_total_of_all_the_crap_the_grim_reapers/

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
Russia is looking more and more like one of those fictional societies that could never work out in real life, like the Drow.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Lammasu posted:

Russia is looking more and more like one of those fictional societies that could never work out in real life, like the Drow.

:lol:

Holy poo poo this is so apt

With the exception of the complete matriarch

They kind of remind me of the Enclave in Fallout, a bunch of descendents of extremely wealthy people who blew up the whole world the first time, commanding a bunch of poor grunts to die for their delusional and genocidal worldview.

TulliusCicero fucked around with this message at 19:38 on May 16, 2023

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

TulliusCicero posted:

:lol:

Holy poo poo this so apt

With the exception of the complete matriarch

They kind of remind me of the Enclave in Fallout, a bunch of descendents of extremely wealthy people who blew up the whole world the first time, commanding a bunch of poor grunts to die for their delusional and genocidal worldview.

Have power armor be hogged by select tiktok enthusiasts while most troopers run around in rags and you are close

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

mobby_6kl posted:

I think the costs also gets overblown, like remember how mad everyone was about the F-35 program? It's now cheaper per unit than any comparable plane. I think even than the F-16?

One reason everyone in the media went nuts over the cost was that a large number (1.7 Trillion or something) was released for the program at one point, and everyone went bug-nuts over the unit price when they did the math... but nobody bothered to read that the number was for the fleet of aircraft (2400'ish), and all costs to operate them for the entire lifespan of like 57 years. So R&D, acquisition, spare parts, fuel, personnel salaries for 57 years.. Everything was included in that number.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

EorayMel posted:

Yes.

Full metal jacket talks about the bullet itself, what is zipping through the air. A pinkish/orange bullet means it is a chunk of lead completely coated in copper, hence full metal jacket.

The weird revolver I posted about used uncircumcised brass ammo, because, well...look at it:

That's the brass, holding all the components of the ammo. The bullet itself is sunken down in the brass, and the bullet itself also has the full metal jacket.

There is also a non-zero percent chance the revolver that uses said ammo is probably used or was used by some mobik or officer at some point in this war.
Thank you for the serious answer and :lol: it does have a foreskin

Molothecat
Jul 25, 2007

Wrath, hate, pain, and death!

The Locator posted:

One reason everyone in the media went nuts over the cost was that a large number (1.7 Trillion or something) was released for the program at one point, and everyone went bug-nuts over the unit price when they did the math... but nobody bothered to read that the number was for the fleet of aircraft (2400'ish), and all costs to operate them for the entire lifespan of like 57 years. So R&D, acquisition, spare parts, fuel, personnel salaries for 57 years.. Everything was included in that number.

nice try, bud. I read once that they don't work in the rain and that means they'll NEVER work in the rain

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

CannonFodder posted:

Thank you for the serious answer and :lol: it does have a foreskin

Note that those cartridges are modern Fiocchi 7.62x38r. The Russian rounds look a bit different, without that weird crimp at the mouth.

Still looks like an uncut dick though.

madeintaipei fucked around with this message at 18:48 on May 16, 2023

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Coquito Ergo Sum posted:

That, and there's overlap. Research from some programs will go into others. I recall something to the effect that a lot of the money and research that went into the F-14 went into the F-16 or vice versa, decreasing later development time and cost. There haven't really been any stinkers in the US arsenal since the '70s,and to be fair we made some real bad stuff in that time. People tell me the Stryker sort of qualifies, but that's out of my knowledge. Some of the reports of it feel overblown despite its deficiencies.

Failures since then have mostly come in the form of development heading into dead ends and restarting as new programs.

Russia and the USSR though had a problem up to today where they would approve anything the moment that it could could move/fly, shoot, and be manufactured (in some cases, not even the last one). The USSR was a much better about it, but they made a few stinkers in large numbers. Even then, some failures came in the form of being fixed later, or not being able to support them in the field (like certain T-80 tanks being fine vehicles, but lacking logistical support/training/APUs and the like).

the bradley also has a lot of conceptual overlap with the f-35 insofar as the bradley came at a time when there was a big gap to fill in modern battlefields and nobody really knew how to fill it, so they more or less made a single project an overbloated mass of R&D wherein they solved an entire class of basic problems that then got appropriated into a bunch of other projects - even after they slapped together everything they learned from it into a vehicle that actually does solve some interesting problems.

it turns out churchill's old joke about how you can always count on americans to do the right thing after they have done literally everything else
1) is true
2) happens to make americans weirdly good engineers

Victis
Mar 26, 2008

The whole argument is stupid because everyone and their mom is scrambling to buy F-35s now - which defrays any cost the Americans spent developing it (money that went into US pockets)

That sort of cash outlay looks oversized when you're the developer and only customer, but not now

Philonius
Jun 12, 2005

zone posted:

Anyone that believes a professional liar has only themselves to blame at this point

Right after the Ukrainians shoot down 6 hypersonic missiles dipshit over there goes on social media to say they shot down SEVEN missiles.

I don't expect a shred of honesty from the Russians, but the absolute grade school level pettiness is somehow still surprising.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

Tunicate posted:

Yeah, about that.

https://www.themoscowtimes.com/2023/05/16/3-russian-hypersonic-missile-scientists-jailed-for-treasoncolleagues-say-a81155

quote:

The institute said its members Anatoly Maslov, Alexander Shiplyuk and Valery Zvegintsev are held in custody on treason charges for speaking at conferences abroad, publishing articles in popular magazines and participating in international projects.

Maslow and Shiplyuk were known to have been arrested in the summer of 2022.

Zvegintsev’s arrest has not been previously reported. He is identified as the founder of a laboratory that deals with hypersonic technology.

Maybe their Stalinist speed run will get them there eventually.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Victis posted:

The whole argument is stupid because everyone and their mom is scrambling to buy F-35s now - which defrays any cost the Americans spent developing it (money that went into US pockets)

That sort of cash outlay looks oversized when you're the developer and only customer, but not now

It doesn't really change that there was a ridiculously bloated upfront cost due to dumb requirements and R&D fuckups, but that only adds to people getting confused by program cost vs manufacturing cost. It's how you keep getting the repeated "Boy this project is expensive, so we cut the order in half and it's sure lucky we did that since the unit price just went up 70%!"

Gavrilo Princip
Feb 4, 2007

Tunicate posted:

Even so it is astonishing how the things the USSR were world leaders in (like crystal growth) ended up being raided and totally destroyed by modern Russia.

And this is with the USSR's greatest crystal scientist, AA Sternberg, getting kicked out of the institute he founded because he got into a scientific argument with a chemist who had connections.

Sternberg 'lied on his resume' by not reporting that he had been one of the engineering students recruited by the government to help build the Volga canal, which was suspicious because the workers were a hotbed of dissent and suspicious figures (the Gulag inmates government had used as forced labor).

Eventually someone even higher said "I have an important crystal project, get me your best man", the other scientist said "okay, but he's doing apartment construction right now", and the highup said "why the hell is he doing that" and reassigned him back.

Thank you! I'd always been low-key aware that the Soviets were weirdly attached to growing massive crystals, but it's something that (in my experience) is largely unknown or unremarked upon.

My doctoral supervisor has a story about one of his old labs in Australia buying an old soviet laser system and them being astonished to discover it contained a massive YAG crystal (at the time where those were suuuuuper expensive)

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
The Soviet Union erased an entire sea from the face of the planet for all intents and purposes. As bad as Russia can be in this regard, Putin hasn't turned the Caspian into dry toxic alkaline dust (yet)

Quinntan
Sep 11, 2013

SquirrelGrip posted:

is there a difference in ballistics for cut/uncut

...yeah, actually. The reason for the uncut cases is to help seal the gap between the cylinder and barrel of a revolver. The russian nagants are pretty much the only revolvers that actually cared about it, but the uncut cases do give you a little bit more oomph behind the bullet.

Coquito Ergo Sum
Feb 9, 2021

Tunicate posted:

This extended to the military, too. After some post-Civil War failures, the SU decided to let in some White officers to bolster the military. At this time, the SU had some brilliant commanders with forward-thinking ideas for what modern warfare.. who would were subsequently executed/purged along with their families because Stalin and his cronies felt threatened.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Coquito Ergo Sum posted:

This extended to the military, too. After some post-Civil War failures, the SU decided to let in some White officers to bolster the military. At this time, the SU had some brilliant commanders with forward-thinking ideas for what modern warfare.. who would were subsequently executed/purged along with their families because Stalin and his cronies felt threatened.

not even zhukov being the biggest russian war hero since the 1800s saved him from being post-war purged out of public life by khrushchev in 1957

Prettz
Sep 3, 2002

Klyith posted:

I'm sure it can, but that top speed might imply the target is within a low enough range that the missile can run the engine all the way to impact.

The main thing is that all the bruhaha over "hypersonic" missiles being some impossible new threat is mostly bullshit. The MIC loves to over-hype threats so we spend more money to protect against them.
These are not "hypersonic missiles" in the sense that anyone typically uses. "Hypersonic missile" implies it has a scramjet, which no missile in existence does. These Russian missiles are just rocket-powered ballistic missiles with some terminal guidance. It's an enormous difference.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

HonorableTB posted:

not even zhukov being the biggest russian war hero since the 1800s saved him from being post-war purged out of public life by khrushchev in 1957

And then when he died in semi-obscurity (he was kind of brought back into the warmth with Brezhnev, though it didn't really mean that much at that point), the government went ahead and ignored his wishes for a Christian burial (which wasn't illegal in the Soviet Union) and cremated him and buried the ashes at the Kremlin.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

The khinzels range apparently also includes the aircraft that carries them. Their stated range is 1900km, which includes being ferried 1750 km by a jet

Drone_Fragger fucked around with this message at 21:50 on May 16, 2023

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
^^^
Lol really? The Tomahawk then has a range of >10,000km?

Prettz posted:

These are not "hypersonic missiles" in the sense that anyone typically uses. "Hypersonic missile" implies it has a scramjet, which no missile in existence does. These Russian missiles are just rocket-powered ballistic missiles with some terminal guidance. It's an enormous difference.
They are hypersonic in the sense that they're a) fast and b) that's what the russians were/are claiming

Also they might've destroyed a Patriot after all!

Pot Smoke Phoenix
Aug 15, 2007

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
Dinosaur Gum
Russia will start flying sortie missions into Ukraine with their best aircraft to get a chance to shoot at Patriot systems and get shot down, so they can tell everyone back at home how they "absolutely destroyed American defenses despite claims of Patropt being invincible".

Russia will lose $100 billion over it and call it a stunning victory.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Prettz posted:

Eh, why? A rocket engine goes just as fast as a scramjet. The only thing a scramjet does is give you longer range.

The two reasons defense is worried about hypersonic missiles:
1. Going really fast means you have less time to respond and intercept. This is true regardless of what engine you use. Long range works against high speed in this area.
2. Evasive maneuvers while going really fast are much harder to intercept, because you have far fewer cycles to observe-react while closing with the target.

If the Kinzhal is easily intercepted by Patriots, there are a bunch of possible reasons besides "doesn't use a scramjet". On the first topic, it may not be going as fast when it gets to Kyiv airspace because the rocket is burned out. Or it may be highly observable to the Patriot's radar, so it has plenty reaction time. (Kinzhal being air-launched makes me wonder if it can't fly very low on route to its target -- that would make it kinda poo poo.)

For number two, it doesn't do much evasion, because that's actually super hard to do at mach 10. (And even harder to both evade interceptors while still hitting your target.) These are capabilities nobody has demonstrated, and there are good reasons to be skeptical of just how it will ever work.

Prettz
Sep 3, 2002

Klyith posted:

Eh, why? A rocket engine goes just as fast as a scramjet. The only thing a scramjet does is give you longer range.

The two reasons defense is worried about hypersonic missiles:
1. Going really fast means you have less time to respond and intercept. This is true regardless of what engine you use. Long range works against high speed in this area.
2. Evasive maneuvers while going really fast are much harder to intercept, because you have far fewer cycles to observe-react while closing with the target.
1. No. You can't fly like a cruise missile if you've got a rocket motor. Just as with air-to-air missiles, these have a burn time measured in seconds.
2. Yes.

Klyith posted:

If the Kinzhal is easily intercepted by Patriots, there are a bunch of possible reasons besides "doesn't use a scramjet". On the first topic, it may not be going as fast when it gets to Kyiv airspace because the rocket is burned out. Or it may be highly observable to the Patriot's radar, so it has plenty reaction time. (Kinzhal being air-launched makes me wonder if it can't fly very low on route to its target -- that would make it kinda poo poo.)
No it can't because it's not a cruise missile, it's a ballistic missile. The rocket motor lofts it way high up, cuts out, then it comes down onto its target.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kh-47M2_Kinzhal

Klyith posted:

For number two, it doesn't do much evasion, because that's actually super hard to do at mach 10. (And even harder to both evade interceptors while still hitting your target.) These are capabilities nobody has demonstrated, and there are good reasons to be skeptical of just how it will ever work.
Actual hypersonic missiles aren't gonna fly at mach 10, more like 5-7 IIRC. But either way, they're still many many years away. The DoD has been throwing money at hypersonic missiles for 50+ years with little to show.

edit: vvvvv I should probably watch that before commenting further, I'm just going off memory

Prettz fucked around with this message at 21:56 on May 16, 2023

karoshi
Nov 4, 2008

"Can somebody mspaint eyes on the steaming packages? TIA" yeah well fuck you too buddy, this is the best you're gonna get. Is this even "work-safe"? Let's find out!
There's a Perun video on Hype(r)sonics:
"Hypersonic Weapons: Overhyped or Superweapons? - threats, challenges & has the USA fallen behind?"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0n3fjoacL20

tiaz
Jul 1, 2004

PICK UP THAT PRESENT.

Zelensky's Zealots

karoshi posted:

There's a Perun video on Hype(r)sonics:
"Hypersonic Weapons: Overhyped or Superweapons? - threats, challenges & has the USA fallen behind?"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0n3fjoacL20

I'm going to laugh so hard if the DF-ZF turns into another MiG-25, where it's not at all what the west thinks it was and prompts them to actually make the tech they were afraid of in the first place, securing a commanding advantage.

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

Pot Smoke Phoenix posted:

Russia will start flying sortie missions into Ukraine with their best aircraft to get a chance to shoot at Patriot systems and get shot down, so they can tell everyone back at home how they "absolutely destroyed American defenses despite claims of Patropt being invincible".

Russia will lose $100 billion over it and call it a stunning victory.

Agreed. Patriot has huge symbolic value for Russia above just their military effectiveness - it has an image in the media as 'America's best land-based SAM'.

Destroying one would give the Russians some valuable propaganda material to work with - it might even help mitigate some of the reputational damage their military has suffered. There's a real chance the Russians will disportionately focus on trying to kill one, wasting lots of valuable and irreplacable missiles.

If Ukraine can take advantage of this preoccupation in any way, via psyops or decoy launchers to divert attacks from other targets, it should.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
I thought Kinzhal was the one that had a dash to target feature but it was another one

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Kinzahl is a real piece of poo poo.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

Just in form, Putin wishes his Russia was like the SU. The SU had unbelievable state capacity to muster men, material, and industrial resources to do poo poo with. It was astonishingly inhuman and led to the mass deaths of millions but it could do poo poo that modern Russia can only really dream of.

Modern Russia is more like a neofuedal power structure wherein Putin runs things from the center and his cronies manage things on a more local level, with each 'republic' or oblast basically being whatever cream rises to the top of the local oligarchy. It's an authoritarian state with its fundamental structure set up to maintain Putin in power, not a communist hellscape wherein all power flows from an extremely dominant center outward. This is why the corruption is so endemic, it's not a bug, it's a feature .

By contrast, Stalin so thoroughly killed or replaced whatever political opposition within the party that he could and did very personally direct a shitload of state functions on every level, from road building and economic decisions to whatever was going to played in Leningrad's theater. He was remarkable in that he was basically a Louis XIV, Russian style. Being in his personal good graces led to your astonishing rise, but one offhand comment about your performance could very literally mean the death of not just you, but your wife, kids, parents, uncles, aunts, and everyone you knew.

A Festivus Miracle fucked around with this message at 22:26 on May 16, 2023

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Killer robot posted:

It doesn't really change that there was a ridiculously bloated upfront cost due to dumb requirements and R&D fuckups, but that only adds to people getting confused by program cost vs manufacturing cost. It's how you keep getting the repeated "Boy this project is expensive, so we cut the order in half and it's sure lucky we did that since the unit price just went up 70%!"

See the F-22 for a good example of how cutting numbers causes terrible unit pricing. Also the B-2.

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

Planes!

https://twitter.com/visegrad24/status/1658555441822027800?t=5ASC1j9z_xbOp8MCFVGRAA&s=19

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/NOELreports/status/1658538120399167489
:3:

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

On one hand good, but on the other hand there is an entire country to be rebuilt, so it's far from surprising that construction companies are chomping at the bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

businesses want business is a :3: ?

Geisladisk posted:

On one hand good, but on the other hand there is an entire country to be rebuilt, so it's far from surprising that construction companies are chomping at the bit.

i'm gonna be the tedious fucker that points out it's champing