Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

neato burrito
Aug 25, 2002

bitch better have my chex mix

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

So excited my deluxe edition kickstarter card game comes tomorrow

I got mine a couple of days ago, the quality of everything is magnitudes better than the previous release. The new cards are insane and make for much more interesting game play. (I got the big box).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
If anyone's sad they missed that Kickstarter, I'd be willing to sell my complete collection pledge. My Isaac hype was high when I purchased and a lot lower when it was delivered

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

I also got the big box and am very happy with what I got. I played a game last night with the girlfriend and she went from not knowing what bonding of isaac is to being a big fan. some friends are going to be getting together tomorrow to play a bigger game

it’s basically magic the gathering where everyone plays out of a large shared deck

neato burrito
Aug 25, 2002

MTG + Munchkin

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

PIZZA.BAT posted:

it’s basically magic the gathering where everyone plays out of a large shared deck

What? It’s nothing like MtG

neato burrito
Aug 25, 2002

On a very, very base level it absolutely shares (borrows) some gameplay mechanics with MtG.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

I got back into this game a couple months ago after my Youtube feed recommended me videos from Lazy Mattman and Lavendar Castle. That external item description mod makes the game immensely more enjoyable since I'm not constantly checking the wiki. I currently have 321 achievements after 175 hours.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Mill Village posted:

I got back into this game a couple months ago after my Youtube feed recommended me videos from Lazy Mattman and Lavendar Castle. That external item description mod makes the game immensely more enjoyable since I'm not constantly checking the wiki. I currently have 321 achievements after 175 hours.

Just 2,000 more hours to go!

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I got back into it again with my steam deck and I was dreading doing the purist and I one shot it. Sometimes the world is just and good. Furthest I’ve ever gotten, I think that new expansion made it slightly easier to become overpowered so that was a nice bonus coming back after so long.

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.
I'm trying to get all marks with Tainted Jacob and it has to be the most annoying loving poo poo I've ever done in a videogame.

Most rooms from the last floors are simply not designed right for the character, meaning either you find something that gives you flying earlier or you're 100% hosed, no chance, in several rooms layout. Enemies/moving blocks can accidently push you into Esau and immediately ruin your run at any time. Not to mention to even have a shot at the harder marks you need to break the run both in terms of damage and health regen because you'll lose a massive amount of hearts vs any endgame boss.

But most of all - this is the kind of "hard" that's not fun. Even when you get the right rooms and items, you need to be 100% focused on Esau all the time and it just tires you the gently caress out. It's a dumb endurance test in a game full of dumb endurance tests.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I'm on Tainted Jacob now and I strongly agree. Most of the time if I lose a good run it's because I got momentarily distracted and accidentally walked into Esau while trying to dodge something else. It's very frustrating to gather a full healthbar and then have it not matter due to failing the endurance test, which is particularly obnoxious since it keeps running even during "strategic" moments where you're managing resources and not fighting.

Down to just Delirium for Tainted Jacob now, then I need to do all of Tainted Eden's marks.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

And that's Dead God. Tainted Eden was honestly way less bad than I thought he'd be, it only took 4 failed runs and all of those felt completely winnable. You can get screwed over by unlucky health fluctuations and ultra-bad items like Glass Cannon but by just gathering as many items as possible I found that most of the rerolls had pretty wild damage. Only thing I think needs to change about the character is protecting the healthbar from rerolls so you can't just randomly lose all your health.

Being able to fill out the rest of the collection by rerolling Eden 200 times until I found Death Certificate twice was certainly welcome.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
There's an "always start with death certificate" mod and it is definitely not cheating because that part of 100%ing the game is bullshit

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

whatever helps you sleep at night

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
t jacob is fun and a billion times better than regular j&e or t laz.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

All of those characters are irredeemably awful

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

tainted jacob is cool

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

T keeper owns bones

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

tainted keeper deserves an entire game designed around his playstyle

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Tainted Lost rules. 95% of your runs are terrible tragedies because the sacred orb thing has made you super powerful but still you only get 2 hits.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Crackbone posted:

Is there anyway to selectively cheat unlock stuff? I basically want to skip Jacob/Esau entirely, I cannot stand them.

Start a run as a character you can clear with, and press start (before you leave the first room) to join in on a second controller and select the char you want to unlock stuff for. You can just let them die (and you'll have to re-kill them every boss since they revive) and clear with p1, and it will count as unlocks for both chars. Before I stopped playing, I was doing this for Jacob/Esau because I wanted their unlocks, but wasn't particularly keen about playing them. You could use it to get hard clear marks, but that takes the fun out of the hardest achievements (and unlocks) in the game, so I would personally only use this for normal mode clears.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

Tainted Azazel is kinda obnoxious at times. That sneeze has no range, and sometimes the enemies will bounce back into him. Like I did Greedier mode in a couple attempts, but I’m struggling with the main game. My best run I barely made it to Mega Satan’s second form.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Mill Village posted:

Tainted Azazel is kinda obnoxious at times. That sneeze has no range, and sometimes the enemies will bounce back into him. Like I did Greedier mode in a couple attempts, but I’m struggling with the main game. My best run I barely made it to Mega Satan’s second form.

Like a lot of the tainted characters, if it's a mechanic you can ignore, just ignore it and play normal. Tainted Maggie, Tainted Eve, Tainted Azazel, Tainted ??? you can just ignore their dumb gimmick poo poo and build a regular OP run. Tainted Maggie is a bit harder because of the disappearing health, and Tainted ??? is a bit easier because it's not a disruptive gimmick and you can learn ways to make explosions out of the non-bomb items in the cache.

Pentaro
May 5, 2013

I just noticed I'm missing the Delirium hard kill with Eden so I've been aiming for that.
I want someone to calculate the odds of getting Mercurius as a starting item two times in a row, because that was some nice serendipity.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Pentaro posted:

I just noticed I'm missing the Delirium hard kill with Eden so I've been aiming for that.
I want someone to calculate the odds of getting Mercurius as a starting item two times in a row, because that was some nice serendipity.

I'm not sure but I can give you an idea. The way it works is the game performs this process 100 times:

1. Generate a random number between 1 and 732
2. If the player does not already have an active item, and the item with that item ID is an active item that does not have the noeden tag, give the player that item.
3. If the player does not already have an passive item, and the item with that item ID is a passive item that does not have the noeden tag, give the player that item.

There are 9 passive items with the noeden tag and 171 active items total. Thus, the odds of getting Mercurius on any given Eden run is equal to the odds of rolling a 732 on a 732-sided die, but you get to reroll until you either roll higher than 180 or until you have rolled 100 times total. I don't know how to calculate that.

The odds of it happening twice in a row is that number to the power of two.

bucksmash
Mar 11, 2002

Pentaro posted:

(note: these calculations may be wrong, same for # of passive items, so take this with a grain of salt)

With all DLC, 547 passive items are in the game, with 9 of those under the "noeden" flag so Eden can never start with those. This of course leaves 538 possible passives that Eden can roll (assuming they are unlocked). Eden rolls don't check for weights or values and are true RNG, so *technically* it's (1/538)*(1/538) if you don't count active items in the roll as those don't affect your passive item and you have to hit the Mercurius ID# before any other passive anyway, that comes to: 1 in 289,444 to roll the same item in subsequent runs, or about 0.00034549%

There's a whole article about Eden Generation that's too much for my brain to understand

bucksmash fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Apr 21, 2023

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy
I only have a few Hard marks left to go, and I thought these achievements would pop when I actually had them all, so it caught me off guard. Got a half-screenshot, though!

(I use EID but no cheating. :toot:)

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

https://twitter.com/FixItVinh/status/1648391159880773632

Don't know if this got posted but apparently VInh left the team.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
https://twitter.com/FixItVinh/status/1648391187705856000

sounds like he just needed to do something else. that's a long time!

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Just fix the goddammit telestomp

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011
Entirely understandable; his workload with Repentance must have been absolutely massive, and it already delivered way more than anyone could have reasonably expected.

Hopefully the modders will step in and do some work on the Void, now that an official rework is not on the horizon anymore.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Carpator Diei posted:

Entirely understandable; his workload with Repentance must have been absolutely massive, and it already delivered way more than anyone could have reasonably expected.

Hopefully the modders will step in and do some work on the Void, now that an official rework is not on the horizon anymore.

Remove delirium entirely since it's a garbage fight, just make it so you have to kill all the bosses in the floor to win.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

from what I understand Vinh has basically been working on the updates solo this whole time which is completely insane, no surprise he got burnt out.

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011

Relyssa posted:

Remove delirium entirely since it's a garbage fight, just make it so you have to kill all the bosses in the floor to win.
That could be interesting. The bosses could all have their Delirium visuals, with boss armor and harder versions of their standard patterns (and not just random extra projectiles); with every boss killed the remaining ones get slightly stronger, and then the last one has an additional phase that is just the big Delirium face without transformation and telefragging. If done right, it could turn the fight into a bit of test of how well the player can actually handle the bosses they've fought throughout the game. Though then you'd also need to make the actual Void floor more interesting, if the player is basically required to explore all of it (one mod, I'm not sure which one, adds the tainted enemies from the Ascent to it; that's probably a step in the right direction).

I also kind of like the Hard Major mod's take on the Delirium fight.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Frankly I'm surprised he even held out this long. Hopefully whatever he moves onto next, it's something nice.

A drat shame about the void rework but most of the game is in a relatively good state at least. Shame that one's a big blemish.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Well since it doesn't seem like Repentance will get anymore updates for a while, I took a look at the code and dug out most of luck's effects on items. Surprised this wasn't dug in too thoroughly before (then again, the game does have debugger protection, so I guess I'm not too surprised.) If I missed anything, feel free to let me know. Most of Luck's effects are actually exponential, so you won't get high activation rates unless you pile on the luck. That being said high fire rate can mitigate that since you roll the dice multiple times, and yes multi tear shots like Mutant Spider help out as well.

It was kind of funny seeing how the luck code differed for certain eras of items. Repentance handles things differently, so they actually end up rounding up instead of down like in most cases. And some of the fan submitted items from the AB+ era have their own different mechanics as well.

Oh yeah I'm aware that Ludo + Mom's Eye/Loki's Horns, Broken Modem, and C-Section + Technology + Some unique Luck effects are missing. Don't ask me about those. I took one glimpse at each of piece of code associated with those interactions and decided I wanted absolutely nothing to do with them. :catstare: Broken Modem especially sent me fleeing for the hills.

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

Black Tooth and A Lighter are affected by luck but Ice Cube isn't??? :monocle:

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Psychedelicatessen posted:

Black Tooth and A Lighter are affected by luck but Ice Cube isn't??? :monocle:

Oh no, it does. I just missed that one. It's a simple 20% + (Luck * 2%) (0% at -10 Luck, 20% at 0 Luck, 100% at 40 Luck).

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

I'm mostly surprised that luck affects that many trinkets, especially since EID just says "20% chance to light enemies on fire".

Some of the values are also very interesting, especially requiring 85 luck to max out fear shots compared to the much lower luck needed for maxing out tooth shots or euthanasia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Where's Color Printer for a coding deep dive when you need him?