Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
3 raids in a row seemed a little excessive. But the bright side is I now am a Mechanist and I got Fel Strike!

Edit: Got a Blue Mage :unsmith:! But I can't match make :smith:?

Mesadoram fucked around with this message at 01:20 on May 15, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
yeah, the problem with BLU in matchmaking is that it'd be possible to join instances without any functional skills to contribute with. you can still party up with people manually (including running instances as a full suite of blue mages)

imo they should let you queue up in the various ways you can play with NPCs since the only person you'd be loving up is yourself, but there's a few good arguments against it

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Mesadoram posted:

Edit: Got a Blue Mage :unsmith:! But I can't match make :smith:?
Welcome to the game's only 'limited job' as of yet. It's much more of a minigame than a traditional casting class. Basically, you run around the world, learning skills from monsters, then combine those skills in creative ways to become as strong as an entire 4 person or even 8 person party.

Here's an introduction to how it works. (You might need Archives, it's from the previous thread.)

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

flatluigi posted:

imo they should let you queue up in the various ways you can play with NPCs since the only person you'd be loving up is yourself, but there's a few good arguments against it

Duty Support with nothing but Water Gun is basically just keeping par with the NPCs.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

girl dick energy posted:

Welcome to the game's only 'limited job' as of yet. It's much more of a minigame than a traditional casting class. Basically, you run around the world, learning skills from monsters, then combine those skills in creative ways to become as strong as an entire 4 person or even 8 person party.

Here's an introduction to how it works. (You might need Archives, it's from the previous thread.)

Thank you! I will check that out. I soloed Ifrit and got Eruption last night, supper happy about that:unsmith:.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

BLU basically has three things going for it:

1) Quickly doing old group content

2) A whole series of solo puzzle bosses that test your skill at the job

3) Seeing Martyn constantly gently caress up in new and exciting ways

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Regalingualius posted:

BLU basically has three things going for it:

1) Quickly doing old group content

2) A whole series of solo puzzle bosses that test your skill at the job

3) Seeing Martyn constantly gently caress up in new and exciting ways

I am noticing #3 is a recurring theme lol. Been grinding out level 40 enemies, I just hit 30. Thousand Needles is fantastic at this low level. Need to figure out a way to cheese a red chocobo to get meteor...

Edit: Also, spells not being a guarantee is kind of silly. I apparently got super lucky and it only took me 5 tries to get the spell from Ifrit.

Mesadoram fucked around with this message at 17:32 on May 16, 2023

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

They are guaranteed if you synch and have an all BLU party IIRC

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

You don't need an all BLU party for the guarantee, you just need to sync. (You do need an all BLU party to get log completion, which I think is why a lot of BLU spell PFs demand all BLU)

BLU is the best DPS but they're not very good at tanking or healing so having a couple of helpers with those as real jobs rather than mimics can make things smoother

Qwertycoatl fucked around with this message at 17:56 on May 16, 2023

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Disco is not dead! Disco is LIFE!

Tekopo posted:

They are guaranteed if you synch and have an all BLU party IIRC

Spells from dungeons/trials/raids are guaranteed if you're synched. You don't need to be in a full BLU party though, there can be non BLU party members.

Open world spells are not guaranteed drops but those usually only need 3-4 kills.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
Such an interesting mechanic. I am enjoying Blue Mage so far. It is shockingly fun :unsmith:.

I am suffering from alt-ites and I keep wanting to level up everything. Should I focus on just getting to max level with my warrior then worry about everything else?

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Mesadoram posted:

Such an interesting mechanic. I am enjoying Blue Mage so far. It is shockingly fun :unsmith:.

I am suffering from alt-ites and I keep wanting to level up everything. Should I focus on just getting to max level with my warrior then worry about everything else?

Do whatever you think is fun, but you’re going to hit job quest barriers gating actions if you don’t advance MSQ as well.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

You can get spells from an unsynched dungeon or trial, but like world mobs it's just a chance.

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

Mesadoram posted:

My advice is to level multiple jobs at once. Level your tank via roulettes to take advantage of the quick queues, and split the plentiful MSQ experience between two DPS classes. Ideally, one will be a Summoner (since it gets free Scholar levels) and the other will be any of the melee or physical ranged DPS classes. That way you'll be able to do all four of the really interesting and worthwhile role quests (tank, healer, DPS and mage) when you hit Shadowbringers.

You'll also have a decent array of playstyles available if you ever want to try something different, too.

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

Mesadoram posted:

Should I focus on just getting to max level with my warrior then worry about everything else?
Do whatever feels right to you! But like hopeandjoysaid, you can get gated by story progression at points if you're not doing MSQ so you should be doing some work on that front at times. I stuck to one job when I started, other than taking a few days to change my main job from Monk to Dragoon so that I could look like Kain from FF4, because my focus was seeing how the story played out, and then afterward I leveled other jobs and did all the other content. Leveling different jobs and doing content as it pops up is perfectly fine too.

FuturePastNow posted:

You can get spells from an unsynched dungeon or trial, but like world mobs it's just a chance.
Something funny that happened to one of my PF groups: The party leader left the unsynced party option checked when we went into a level 70 dungeon. After beating the last boss we didn't get the spell so we did the dungeon again after the leader unchecked the option

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
Thank you for the suggestions all!

I will probably keep leveling blue mage for a bit till I get bored then go back to pushing through the main quest.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Mesadoram posted:

Thank you for the suggestions all!

I will probably keep leveling blue mage for a bit till I get bored then go back to pushing through the main quest.

If you can find someone willing to spend an hour or so with you, it's worth getting BLU powerleveled up to max. It's dreadfully boring, otherwise.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Relyssa posted:

If you can find someone willing to spend an hour or so with you, it's worth getting BLU powerleveled up to max. It's dreadfully boring, otherwise.

I will bug my friend to see if he can power level me a tad (or at least help me get a couple of more spells).

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Note that the best BLU powerleveling location is a ShB zone so uh. Powerleveling is only really a rec if you’re that far in.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Mesadoram posted:

I will bug my friend to see if he can power level me a tad (or at least help me get a couple of more spells).

My wife and I traded doing it for each other and it was extremely worth it. As noted though, yeah, you'll need ShB for access to it.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Level every single job at once and let God sort it out :black101:

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Rarity posted:

Level every single job at once and let God sort it out :black101:

:hmmyes:

Fishing is also a pretty chill thing to do while waiting in queue :unsmith:.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Mesadoram posted:

:hmmyes:

Fishing is also a pretty chill thing to do while waiting in queue :unsmith:.

This is another reason I haven't done fishing.

That's a joke about tank mains having short queues.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Warmachine posted:

This is another reason I haven't done fishing.

That's a joke about tank mains having short queues.

That is un-ironically my experience too.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Relyssa posted:

Personally, I hard disagree. It's good to know it's an option, but I enjoyed the chance to zone out and grind.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Bruceski posted:

Personally, I hard disagree. It's good to know it's an option, but I enjoyed the chance to zone out and grind.

More power to you then, I just couldn't stand it.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

The trick is to listen to a podcast in the background as you do it

That’s what’s gotten me through all 10 of the Zodiac weapons :shepicide:

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I'm leveling THM/BLM for the first time. So far I have felt really good about the rotation with Blizzard/Fire for single-target and Blizzard II/Fire II for AOE. Now I have hit 35 and was granted Blizzard III/Fire III and am not sure how I am supposed to work them in, or what situation they are for. Do they just replace Blizzard/Fire as single-target on my hotbar?

Roluth
Apr 22, 2014

LuckyCat posted:

I'm leveling THM/BLM for the first time. So far I have felt really good about the rotation with Blizzard/Fire for single-target and Blizzard II/Fire II for AOE. Now I have hit 35 and was granted Blizzard III/Fire III and am not sure how I am supposed to work them in, or what situation they are for. Do they just replace Blizzard/Fire as single-target on my hotbar?

Fire III and Blizzard III are what you use to switch inbetween phases, cutting out the Transpose middleman. Switching in this way from three stacks costs no MP, and ice spells are free under Umbral Ice III. So, you'll never have to press Transpose again unless you're doing high-level optimization around Firestorm procs or need to not drop your timer. Begin single target fights from no stacks with Fire III to go right to your high damage phase, no need to start in ice.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Fire 1 is still your bread and butter. Fire/Blizz 3's purpose is to immediately switch from AF to UI and vice versa, and get full stacks at the same time. Basically takes transpose out of the rotation.

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Ahh okay that makes sense. Thank you!

Roluth
Apr 22, 2014

Important note: Spamming Fire I is going to be more damage than spamming Fire III. Only use the 3s to switch or if you have a Firestarter proc.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

BLM is basically all about getting iteratively more complex with every expansion.

When you hit 60, for example, Fire IV becomes your best spell, but it's also the only one that doesn't refresh your gauge timer, so you still have to throw in a Fire I/Firestarter'd Fire III every so often while you're in your fire phase.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
it does make it nearly the worst class to get a feel of while levelling, that's for sure

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

flatluigi posted:

it does make it nearly the worst class to get a feel of while levelling, that's for sure
Indeed. All the other jobs tend to layer mechanics one after the other, but the core remains the same: Samurai is always going to focus on applying bleed when needed and by getting its three combos to do the big Iaijutsu, and it mainly gets more ways of spending its sword gauge on OGCDs; Dragoon is always about getting 1>Disembowel>Chaos Thrust to get the self damage buff and DoT and following it up with your 1-2-3 until its time to reapply the buff/dot with the main change being new OGDCs to apply more constant pressure and the extension of the two combos so that by level 64 onwards you just alternate between the two.
Black Mage's openers and ideal rotations will always change when passing certain levels because the new tools change the timing and rotations on everything. It's a fun job when you manage to get into the zone and just blast some boss away with a barrage of perfectly-timed spells, but it's definitely a much more complex job to learn than other DPSs.
This advice applies to all jobs, but doubly so for Black Mages: every time you unlock something, play around with it on a training dummy to get a feel of how it changes things.
Alternatively (or additionally), check WeskAlber's guide on it, since he breaks things skill by skill in the order you unlock them and every bunch of skills he provides a decent opener to get a feel of how the new skills interact with one another.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Fire 1 is still your bread and butter. Fire/Blizz 3's purpose is to immediately switch from AF to UI and vice versa, and get full stacks at the same time. Basically takes transpose out of the rotation.

To add to this, it's still a good idea to keep Transpose on your bars, in order to keep your buff rolling while running between pulls.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

BLM 60+ is largely the same with more stuff weaved in between, alternating between spamming fire 4 and ice phase. BLM 50 to 60 revolves around getting into fire phase and then spamming fire until you get a firestarter proc. BLM below 50, though, is the domain of the damned.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
The Balance has a leveling guide that tells you exactly what buttons you should be pushing for each stage of the BLM leveling process as well as a guide for how the class works at 90. It doesn't explain why, but once you understand what to do it quickly becomes obvious why you are doing it which helps with understanding how and when to adjust your rotation for fight conditions.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
When I am in a non-rested area I always get a 'could not apply glamours here' message when I switch to a different glamour plate.

But the glamour seems to apply just fine from what I can see so...what's the error about?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Mr. Neutron posted:

When I am in a non-rested area I always get a 'could not apply glamours here' message when I switch to a different glamour plate.

But the glamour seems to apply just fine from what I can see so...what's the error about?

Are you switching to gear that happens to be already looking like that from the last time you switched to that plate?