Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I've been wondering about getting a wrap, they look good but are there other reasons to get one? Are they easier to clean?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Saw a Tesla wrapped in 80's bathroom teal today, that was neat.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I saw a Model 3 in an awesome iridescent wrap, you should get that

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
there’s a lady I occasionally see around in the Camberville area of MA with the loudest iridescent purple wrap and some Bayonetta decals on an older PxxD Model S, and I’m 90% sure it’s Brianna Wu, but AFAIK from some cursory google searching she hasn’t tweeted about owning a Tesla, let alone that Tesla, the way that she tweets about owning all of her Porsches

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

mattfl posted:

Just made my first service appointment for my MYP. The carbon spoiler is starting to come off(this is apparently a known issue) and it looks like the clear coat over the carbon is peeling off. Fired up the mobile app, shot them a few pics and have an appointment next tuesday for them to come replace. Quick and painless!

Mine is still holding tough but if it starts coming off I'm debating whether to have it warrantied or just replace it with something a little more aggressive.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

bird with big dick posted:

Mine is still holding tough but if it starts coming off I'm debating whether to have it warrantied or just replace it with something a little more aggressive.

bird with big wing

Normal Barbarian
Nov 24, 2006

priznat posted:

I saw a Model 3 in an awesome iridescent wrap, you should get that

My girlfriend says it's the only way to make a Tesla sexy.

Also,

I finally saw an EV6. Its weird hatch-ish duck butt is over-designed and stupid looking but I think I kinda like it

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe
The ev6 wanted to be a wagon, they should have made it a wagon

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I don't love the EV6 design, don't hate it, but I do appreciate that they did try to go for a little bit of a Citroen DS look to it.

I'm probably the only person who thinks that. But the rear hatch line reminds me of it somehow!

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

I think the EV6 looks really cool. It’s unique and interesting which you can’t say about most new cars.

PuntCuncher
Apr 21, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Russian Bear posted:

I think the EV6 looks really cool. It’s unique and interesting which you can’t say about most new cars.

They appear to be built nicely as well, at least the ones I’ve inspected on the lot.

Panel gap and general consistency in finish is light years ahead of the Tesla 3’s parked on the same lot, really makes the 3’s look like cheap trash.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
It also charges fast as hell on the right charger:

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I don’t like the horn-rimmed glasses look on the EV6’s side mirrors but that’s about it

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

QuarkJets posted:

I've been wondering about getting a wrap, they look good but are there other reasons to get one? Are they easier to clean?
They are slightly harder to clean because you can damage a wrap a lot easier than damaging paint.

The advantages are protection from minor rock chip/dust/gravel type damage, covering over any of such that might already be there, being usually cheaper than a comparable paint job (especially if complex designs are involved), and just having a lot of options where most car companies don't offer much.

They're particularly popular in the Tesla world thanks to Tesla's pricing on paint colors. When you're paying $1000 or more for any color but white, the math starts to work out on just getting a white one and wrapping it exactly the color you want rather than having to settle for one of their paint options.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
I dream of hiring an artist to draw me a rad 1970s-style high fantasy van art scene, featuring like a wizard and a dragon, and then wrapping a contemporary Transit or Sprinter with it

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Shai-Hulud posted:

It also charges fast as hell on the right charger:

This reminded me to check on Teslabjorn's 1000km video since it wasn't up the last time I checked.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MjRjfLGkAxQ

It was still pretty cold so consumption comparisons with Teslas aren't exactly 1:1. But interestingly it seems to gently caress up the battery pre-heating and doesn't get them warm enough in time. Then by the time they are, the SoC is already too high for the 250kW rate lol. Hopefully this is just a matter of tweaking the pre-heating settings in software.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I very nearly wrapped my 3 rather than clear bra. Quote was $3500 IIRC but it depends on the car and color/brand of film and of course your local labor rate. I've seen quotes anywhere from $1500 to like $8000.

As has been said, you have to be more careful cleaning them. They don't last forever, most are expected to last like 5-10 years but depends on quality/cost of the film and whether you park outside is a huge factor. You'll be able to see the original paint color in the door jambs/sills and underside of the hood and stuff, they don't attempt 100% coverage (maybe they do if you're paying an enormous amount). They do provide some protection from chipping but nowhere near a clear bra, clear bras are a lot thicker/sturdier. And if you already have a bunch of chips you'll want to smooth them out with touch up paint or something because anywhere there's a depression the wrap will conform to it so you'll still see it after the car has been wrapped.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

One day we're going to get the Model 3 painted again.

We happen to live 20 miles from the low rider capital of the world, which means there are a lot of paint shops nearby that do really astounding work. We're probably going to stick with something like the blue color the car already is, but maybe some metallic flakes or some subtle art in it, not sure. This is probably a few years out, the current paint job is pretty awful but it's still protecting the metal okay.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

The paint on my bumper was hosed up from the factory (the red is a multi stage and I think the middle stage that has flake or pearl in it or whatever was applied unevenly) but they fixed it well after two tries. I've gotten a couple chips in it elsewhere that might lead me to think the paint is thin/chip prone but you go to practically any make/model specific car forum and you'll see people bitching about what is at least perceived as thin paint.

And my panel gaps are fine, probably better than my wife's Accord :smuggo:

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

I guess I don't know anything about painting cars, but white primer under dark blue paint seems like a weird choice to me.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Speaking of dark blue paint, for whatever reason the plastidip bro appeared in my YouTube suggestions and they do some incredible stuff with pigments. I saw this one and it is an immediate favourite.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TECFqxxlB-k

I don't know if I'll ever dip or wrap a car, but if I do I want that color.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

cruft posted:

One day we're going to get the Model 3 painted again.

We happen to live 20 miles from the low rider capital of the world, which means there are a lot of paint shops nearby that do really astounding work. We're probably going to stick with something like the blue color the car already is, but maybe some metallic flakes or some subtle art in it, not sure. This is probably a few years out, the current paint job is pretty awful but it's still protecting the metal okay.

flames

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

I woud totally do this, or a big dragon or something, if I was 100% certain I wasn't going to want to try and sell the car in the future.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

cruft posted:

I woud totally do this, or a big dragon or something, if I was 100% certain I wasn't going to want to try and sell the car in the future.

Given the choice between a car with a normal paint job and a car with a nice-looking dragon on it, I'd choose the dragon car every time fwiw. But I know that's not everyone's choice

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Finger Prince posted:

Speaking of dark blue paint, for whatever reason the plastidip bro appeared in my YouTube suggestions and they do some incredible stuff with pigments. I saw this one and it is an immediate favourite.

This looks awesome, but is it just a byproduct of it not really being paint that the orange peel is that bad?

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

mattfl posted:

This looks awesome, but is it just a byproduct of it not really being paint that the orange peel is that bad?

I think it's just a byproduct of it being peelable paint. What you lose in finish quality you make up for in cost, convenience, and cool finishes.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Dragon flames < Wizard lightning.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Wizard lightning that is causing something to explode into a fireball

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!

Finger Prince posted:

I think it's just a byproduct of it being peelable paint. What you lose in finish quality you make up for in cost, convenience, and cool finishes.

You also cant wet sand then buff it out to even things out like you can with real paint.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Finger Prince posted:

This is pretty cool, if we can get a bit more of a subtle effect, this might be what we go with.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Duck and Cover posted:

Dragon flames < Wizard lightning.

If you're getting one, why not get both?

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

cruft posted:

This is pretty cool, if we can get a bit more of a subtle effect, this might be what we go with.

Is this better or worse than a wrap?

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Silly Burrito posted:

Is this better or worse than a wrap?

We park our car outside, where the elevation is like 8000 feet, and we get a lot of snow and blowing sand. Maybe there's something magical about wraps, but I haven't seen stickers fare too well in this environment. I mean, hell, our license plate is even falling apart.

Plus, the whole point of my family going electric was to reduce the amount of petroleum we used.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

A wrap probably is the equivalent of about one tank of gas.

Also get sick lightning bolts.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

I spend more money annually on tires than charging my EV.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Nessus posted:

Also get sick lightning bolts.

I am now accepting concept art for how I should paint my car.

Mouse with MS Paint preferred.

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

Time is only gonna pass you by

I saw a Lyriq today, it looked slick.

Walrusmaster
Sep 21, 2009

cruft posted:

Here's my attempt, with lightning bolts AND flames:

↓↓↓ .....I'll see myself out

Walrusmaster fucked around with this message at 17:27 on May 17, 2023

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

cruft posted:

Silly Burrito fucked around with this message at 17:15 on May 17, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Gamesguy posted:

Interesting after the Volt died we're circling back to plug in hybrids again.

Toyota has had a plug-in hybrid model on the Prius for over a decade.