Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

DoT stuff is real good which is why I try to get Mastery on things like Plague Grenades / Poison Darts immediately, though I always make sure my rank 1 and 2 characters have decent crits and burst damage. DoT is good but if it ticks down too slow you will quickly get slain by bigger enemies; always nice to have Highwayman or Hellion up front to chop down someone for like 9 to 16 damage in one slash.

Really like how good Jester is in this game; he always felt like someone DD1 was desperately trying to retool and justify. His movement and status/bleed effects to enemies are great now and the stress heals/buffs he can dole out are super important. Could see him doing well with an Occultist build that doesn't mind shifting between rank 3 and 4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
Some of the achievements have wildly low amounts of people with them, 0.6% of people have killed 100 fisherfolk seems wild to me!

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Taear posted:

Some of the achievements have wildly low amounts of people with them, 0.6% of people have killed 100 fisherfolk seems wild to me!

we're all still probably scuffling with zombies building up our candles lol

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

DLC Inc posted:

we're all still probably scuffling with zombies building up our candles lol

I doubt that, that seems like an insane way to play and I don't imagine anyone but the biggest min-maxers (sorry) are doing it

Also when will there be a mod to get rid of the Death miniboss? I want to use the flagellant and I'm loving tired of fighting her every single time

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet

Taear posted:

Also when will there be a mod to get rid of the Death miniboss? I want to use the flagellant and I'm loving tired of fighting her every single time
Just have your party wipe before she shows up (taps temple)

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Taear posted:

There’s just not that many fish to kill. They’re only in the shroud and even there half the encounters are still other enemy types. I usually only encounter them once or twice outside of the boss lair. Same with gentry in the foetor

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

i avoid the shroud most of the time because I like to do lairs and I loving hate the fish boss. I was annoyed by its gimmick at a baseline but I think what clinched it for me as my most hated lair boss was when I discovered that its add's attack ignores taunt. like, there's no reason for it to ignore taunt, it's just a slap that does damage and can seemingly hit anywhere in the first 3 ranks, but it does and I lost the fight where I found that out purely because of that.

Brutor Fartknocker
Jun 18, 2013

Taear posted:

I doubt that, that seems like an insane way to play and I don't imagine anyone but the biggest min-maxers (sorry) are doing it

Guilty min-maxer here. Only a bit though, I've only done a couple runs and it's so boring I think I'll give 2 a shot again. I've got the coach and other generic stuff track almost done so that's most of the good metaprogression to unlock anyway.

Also the one time I did chapter 2 I did the fish area and never saw a fish person, so the achievement checks out.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

eat some poo poo death

Killed a Girl in 96
Jun 15, 2001

DON'T STOP CAN'T STOP
I fought the fish boss once and got my poo poo pushed in so hard I've avoided it since. Reading how people deal with it though, seems like I could try it again.

How ya'll deal with leper's blind? Either stack debuff resistance on him, or use someone to token the enemy? Someone mentioned jester or hwm, which I'll try later. Seraph Vestal with consecration of light on Leper seems really good.

And does anyone know what's up with Dimas' trinket that gives -90% healing against creatures? I never could parse that phrasing out. If I'm fighting creatures, I heal for almost nothing? Or is it that creatures heal for -90% when the trinket is equipped?

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

gently caress every lair boss is so frustrating for how much they're cascade failure fights. The General's Tap Root only sometimes doing the recede when it has the do the recede token is nuts, the Librarian getting a free heal right before he goes into burn the entire party to death mode is kinda nuts (and the fact that his failure state is way harder to manage than the others are), I actually think the Leviathan is the easiest because it's main gimmick (the hand) is so much easier to handle too. If the Librarian gets lucky it can be near impossible to kill (since the size/health of the books is random), before it murders at least one of your heroes.

The game is great, but I really wish they'd taken a pass at the Lair bosses again, they're clearly meant to require some sort of puzzling/hero team design (or more not choosing a lair boss your current hero team can't handle) but even if you have a good team a lot of the bosses still come a little too much down to whether or not they get to clown on you with their cascade mechanics from some slight miscalculation. Off the top of my head the Librarian really shouldn't have 3 (or 4??) turns the entire fight.

Edit; I'm fine with them being difficult, but they should either be more puzzle solving or less punishing. Like I mentioned with Dreaming General, you can solve the puzzle and still lose to it ignoring you solving the puzzle. So why make it a puzzle at all. The action economy feels a little rough anywhere there's enemy units that get multiple actions though.

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 19:38 on May 16, 2023

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

Lord_Magmar posted:

gently caress every lair boss is so frustrating for how much they're cascade failure fights. The General's Tap Root only sometimes doing the recede when it has the do the recede token is nuts, the Librarian getting a free heal right before he goes into burn the entire party to death mode is kinda nuts (and the fact that his failure state is way harder to manage than the others are), I actually think the Leviathan is the easiest because it's main gimmick (the hand) is so much easier to handle too. If the Librarian gets lucky it can be near impossible to kill (since the size/health of the books is random), before it murders at least one of your heroes.

The game is great, but I really wish they'd taken a pass at the Lair bosses again, they're clearly meant to require some sort of puzzling/hero team design (or more not choosing a lair boss your current hero team can't handle) but even if you have a good team a lot of the bosses still come a little too much down to whether or not they get to clown on you with their cascade mechanics from some slight miscalculation. Off the top of my head the Librarian really shouldn't have 3 (or 4??) turns the entire fight.

Edit; I'm fine with them being difficult, but they should either be more puzzle solving or less punishing. Like I mentioned with Dreaming General, you can solve the puzzle and still lose to it ignoring you solving the puzzle. So why make it a puzzle at all. The action economy feels a little rough anywhere there's enemy units that get multiple actions though.

not sure what's going on here but the root removes a token every time i hit it. i haven't lost to the general since the first few times i fought him because all it takes is any two of plague doctor, occultist, flagellant, plus one other who can hit the taproot every other round if needed and he's a breeze.

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

In relating the circumstances which have led to my confinement within this refuge for the demented, I am aware that my present position will create a natural doubt of the authenticity of my narrative.
Nap Ghost
Dots are good but I've found alpha strike, front loaded damage, is better for denying enemy turns and minimizing team damage and stress.

I built a dot team and it was great against high health and enemies who take multiple turns per round but it would struggle to kill things fast, allowing enemies to take multiple turns. It's far more effective to kill one enemy per round with focus fire so that encounters end in 4 rounds. Encounters that drag on while waiting for dots to finish the job just adds more risk.

It's a similar tactic to Chimera Squad that focuses on initiative and denial of action. It's very effective if you are fast enough to go first and then kill or stun before your opponent even gets to act.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Lord_Magmar posted:

The gross baby and the Leviathan are the easiest to me I think
Leviathan is 100% easier with blight/bleed/whatever too, it dies so fast

I've loving finally killed the boss of act 2 and now I'm on to 3. Which is....the same! I dunno, not sure what their plan was with this model

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Killed a Girl in 96 posted:

How ya'll deal with leper's blind? Either stack debuff resistance on him, or use someone to token the enemy?
i just have him carry milk rags around

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet

Killed a Girl in 96 posted:

I fought the fish boss once and got my poo poo pushed in so hard I've avoided it since. Reading how people deal with it though, seems like I could try it again.

How ya'll deal with leper's blind? Either stack debuff resistance on him, or use someone to token the enemy? Someone mentioned jester or hwm, which I'll try later. Seraph Vestal with consecration of light on Leper seems really good.

And does anyone know what's up with Dimas' trinket that gives -90% healing against creatures? I never could parse that phrasing out. If I'm fighting creatures, I heal for almost nothing? Or is it that creatures heal for -90% when the trinket is equipped?
Intimidate doesn't give blind tokens.

If any enemies are creatures/animals then dismas receives only 10% of healing

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

place your bets how I gently caress this run

Brutor Fartknocker
Jun 18, 2013

Lord_Magmar posted:

Same, I still feel like most of the bosses are very boring puzzles of "hey, you better be built specifically to do the thing", but even then it's a damage race until people start dying. Also the amount of tokens thrown around is ridiculous. When I hit the chapter 2 boss I had crushed the run so hard, then I kept getting weak and blind debuffed, couldn't deal enough damage to manage the mechanic, and died horribly.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Brutor Fartknocker posted:

Same, I still feel like most of the bosses are very boring puzzles of "hey, you better be built specifically to do the thing", but even then it's a damage race until people start dying. Also the amount of tokens thrown around is ridiculous. When I hit the chapter 2 boss I had crushed the run so hard, then I kept getting weak and blind debuffed, couldn't deal enough damage to manage the mechanic, and died horribly.

I don't know when I got there, but I hit a point where I started paying more attention to token adding and removal than a lot of other effects - some tokens are so strong that removing or adding them is well worth "wasting" a turn

like highwayman's upgraded take aim is just busted good

Kooriken
Dec 27, 2012

This thread is beneath my talent, but I....shall elevate it.

victrix posted:

I don't know when I got there, but I hit a point where I started paying more attention to token adding and removal than a lot of other effects - some tokens are so strong that removing or adding them is well worth "wasting" a turn

Every time I don't play with Highwayman with Highway Robbery equipped I feel like I've made a huge mistake, so this checks out for me too.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 8 days!
You deal with Lepers blind with combo tokens. Chop and hew ignore blind with Combo.

You set it up by using Daemons pull, point blank shot or Razor Wit, all of which leave combo 100% of the time even when without mastery.

There is a cultist trinket that gives +66% crit if you hit with a blind token. It's pretty much designed for the Leper because he ignores the blind of chop and hew so will always get the huge crit bonus, and his damage range is very high (crit works off 1.5x max dmg).

Also, hew only needs one target to have combo for both ranks to auto hit as well.

Brutor Fartknocker
Jun 18, 2013

Does debuff resistance affect token application?

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Panfilo posted:

You deal with Lepers blind with combo tokens. Chop and hew ignore blind with Combo.

You set it up by using Daemons pull, point blank shot or Razor Wit, all of which leave combo 100% of the time even when without mastery.

There is a cultist trinket that gives +66% crit if you hit with a blind token. It's pretty much designed for the Leper because he ignores the blind of chop and hew so will always get the huge crit bonus, and his damage range is very high (crit works off 1.5x max dmg).

Also, hew only needs one target to have combo for both ranks to auto hit as well.

Leper/Occultist team is legit great. Pull people in to range, mark for Combo, Leper lets loose with a big chop.

I did not know Hew only required one enemy of the two to be marked for the hit to proc. That's fantastic :getin:

I'm curious: how have people been using Runaway? Does she get a lot of play in your games?

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

victrix posted:

yeah my first mastery always goes towards take aim if I have HWM, its ridiculously good

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

DLC Inc posted:

Leper/Occultist team is legit great. Pull people in to range, mark for Combo, Leper lets loose with a big chop.

I did not know Hew only required one enemy of the two to be marked for the hit to proc. That's fantastic :getin:

I'm curious: how have people been using Runaway? Does she get a lot of play in your games?

I havent really found an use for her, though cauterize is an extremely good heal (turns out that lots of nasty things also deal bleed dmg)

Kooriken
Dec 27, 2012

This thread is beneath my talent, but I....shall elevate it.

DLC Inc posted:

Used her in my team that I beat chapter 2 with. I only really like her (upgraded) Smokescreen, but sometimes that's all you need when you've got HighwayMan/Hellion absolutely annihilating her marked/vulnerable'd targets. Cauterize is also a decent backup heal in case of emergencies. My strategy was essentially Smokescreen highest threat unit->Plague Doctor Vapors next dps->DPS destroys unit. Rinse repeat.

Killed a Girl in 96
Jun 15, 2001

DON'T STOP CAN'T STOP
Lot of good Leper chat ITT, thank you friends.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 8 days!

Does debuff resistance affect token application?

If the token is a debuff (blue) then yes.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

I find my Leper resists the blind debuff loads anyway, so it's not too big of a deal
Also Command with the MAA cleans it off in the worst case scenario of not having any other way around it

Man it's sort of boring that nothing changes beyond the last boss per chapter. I feel like I expected more stuff to unlock I guess, new areas?

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Taear posted:

I find my Leper resists the blind debuff loads anyway, so it's not too big of a deal
Also Command with the MAA cleans it off in the worst case scenario of not having any other way around it

Man it's sort of boring that nothing changes beyond the last boss per chapter. I feel like I expected more stuff to unlock I guess, new areas?

I'll definitely be done with the game after clearing 5, but I view this as a positive - DD1 was way too loving long, I'll leave this feeling satisfied instead of just sort of sputtering out - and that's still plenty of hours

(but gently caress the third boss)

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

victrix posted:

I'll definitely be done with the game after clearing 5, but I view this as a positive - DD1 was way too loving long, I'll leave this feeling satisfied instead of just sort of sputtering out - and that's still plenty of hours

(but gently caress the third boss)

It's taken me like 20 hours to clear act 2, I guess I don't feel like doing act 3 is worth it? Like if it opened new stuff sure

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 8 days!
More Leper stuff:

Chop: Your main melee attack. It is hampered by the fact that the mastered version only raises it's maximum damage and it doesn't get more crit. Like I said, you set up combo tokens with other heroes and chop with the Leper. For paths/quirks that greatly reduce your damage output you can focus more on tanking as ideally you want to be landing double digits with this.

Hew: Your aoe attack, follows the same rule as chop (ignores blind vs combo). Can strip off tokens, vs multiple dodge enemies don't bother setting up combo as you'll remove the dodge tokens regardless. I really like this skill, the damage is okay and it's more reliable since you only need one combo enemy to hit both.

Break: A niche skill that is meant to be used vs block enemies. The problem with this is that the equivalent damage seldom translates to being a better deal than just a chop; a chop+ vs block token will do 3-8 damage, while a Break+ to the same target will do 4-10, which is barely more.

Bash: Does light damage and applies immobilize, daze, and the mastered version leaves a combo token. It is a way to lock down a target the Leper can theoretically chop the following turn, since the daze ensures even a slow Leper will still go before the target next turn. PROTIP! Stacking two dazes on a target upgrades it to a stun, so in theory the Leper can stun things this way. The problem with this skill is that unlike the first game, there's a rather lack of enemies that are weaker in front ranks.

Purge: Knocks the target back 3 ranks, clears corpses, and the mastered version can leave a combo token. This has some utility vs enemies like evangelists, and the corpse clear triggers no matter what. You need to be in rank 1 to use it, and I find it a little situational. It is rather useful vs the librarian, as it can shove books behind him without actually destroying them in the process.

Intimidate: This is one of my favorite support skills. It does very little damage but applies 2 weak tokens on the target and gives the Leper 2 taunt tokens. The mastered version can also target and strip off stealth, though this isn't that much more of a benefit as stealth enemies are kinda rare and typically on the weaker end of things. It can target any rank, and the combination of weak+taunt is very good.

Withstand: Gives 2 block tokens, 2 taunt tokens, resists, and applies block the next several turns. Getting multiple block tokens really stretches the Lepers already good hp pool, and it also has resists which help a lot too. The mastered version starts with block+ tokens and better resists. If you find stone mount, it is really good with this skill as it will turn all your block tokens to block+ tokens and you don't even really need to master it soon.

Revenge: Gives you two vulnerable tokens but gives you a strength token at the start of your next 3 turns. With chops high damage potential you can wring out more at the cost of taking more damage. Big upside, the vulnerable tokens can be resisted! The mastered version also removes weak (which will ensure the next strength token goes through, and has a 15% chance to get a crit token; it can be pretty bonkers when you have both a strength, crit, and guaranteed hit on chop if you're lucky.

Ruin: For the next 3 rounds every time you get damaged your damage is increased by 20%. This can add up and potentially exceed revenges strength tokens. The problem is once it expires the damage buff goes with it, so it can be hard to have good action economy with it. Vs enemies with multiple cleave attacks it can build up quickly, and the mastery applies a self Bleed to ensure you get at least +20% each turn. Most of the time it isn't worth the effort but there's some boss scenarios where this can scale up crazy high.

Reflection: Removes blind and heals one stress. You can use it to have blind free attacks though spending a whole turn just to do this isn't usually worth it. The stress heal is nice though, as it doesn't have a threshold to work and can be an easy stress heal. The mastered version removes two stress and also can remove combo on the Leper, a rare perk helpful vs Exemplar.

Solemnity: Your big heal, base version heals 33% (when below 33%) and removes 2 stress, mastered version is 50% heal and removes 3 stress. It's good to bounce back from tanking hits but note you only get 2 uses of it. The stress heal aspect is particularly nice, it can be good to pop it near the end of a fight.

Tempest path: Very popular choice because it makes chop 33% stronger, as well as making him disease immune, good debuff resist, but lowers his health and speed. Since the Leper is already beefy and slow the malus is rather trivial for being able to hit harder.

Poet path: Solemnity is even stronger and you get major stun and move resist, but all your damage is 25% weaker. Not as useful as Tempest but not worthless either, while the extra healing is kinda overkill the resists can be clutch in some fights, the move resist in particular makes him difficult for the Leviathan to grab.

Monarch path: A complex and underrated path which makes Chop super weak most of the time, penalizes hp even more than Tempest, but gives Purge and Intimidate apply vulnerable. Where it really shines is vs cosmic, where he gets +100% chop dmg +50% hp and +2 spd (for a net value of +25% chop dmg and +20% hp). While this might seem situational, cosmic fights are the ones where it will make the biggest difference, giving health damage and speed. The vuln is also really useful too

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast,
And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed;
And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill,
And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still

Taear posted:

I've loving finally killed the boss of act 2 and now I'm on to 3. Which is....the same! I dunno, not sure what their plan was with this model

This is kind of where I am with it. I ended an otherwise-perfect run with a party wipe my first time against the Act 3 boss, and I can't really gin up any excitement to go again (and again and again) when it seems like I've seen all the content except a couple of act bosses. Sure, DD1 was a little repetitive, but there were at least 8 bosses in the main game.

I may have to wait until mods or expansions add a little more variety to things before I come back to this.

Just so this isn't entirely negative, I want to say that the shrine stories and their little gimmick fights are really nice and evocative. Probably my favorite part of the game.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Panfilo posted:

Monarch path: A complex and underrated path which makes Chop super weak most of the time, penalizes hp even more than Tempest, but gives Purge and Intimidate apply vulnerable. Where it really shines is vs cosmic, where he gets +100% chop dmg +50% hp and +2 spd (for a net value of +25% chop dmg and +20% hp). While this might seem situational, cosmic fights are the ones where it will make the biggest difference, giving health damage and speed. The vuln is also really useful too

The problem I have with the monarch path is the problem I have with a few of the paths - it's just really loving badly worded and it's so difficult to work out what it means and how that's gonna apply.
Also yea Cosmic fights are pretty difficult but you have so many other things in between!

I find myself just always being a Tempest and not even looking at the others. I kinda feel like most of the classes have one path/maybe two that are straightforward and just work and then some that really require a lot of theory and working to get them going.

It's so dispirinting to lose a run to a random thing in this, so much more than it is in the first game. I clear out four areas then get a chained attack that kills one of my party against the horrors just before the act 3 boss. It doesn't make me think "I'll go away and come back with new things" either really because unlocking trinkets/stagecoach items/inn items takes ages spending one at a time over and over and honestly I get bored so I tend to spend my candles on classes I don't even use. Nearly finished the entire class bit actually, but I don't really feel like I've got much from it.
I'm going to say again that I wish candles unlocked your attacks/powers and the hero story unlocked your paths.

Taear fucked around with this message at 02:32 on May 17, 2023

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

victrix posted:

place your bets how I gently caress this run

holy poo poo lmao

Barristan is a drat hero

4 down, 1 to go

Brutor Fartknocker
Jun 18, 2013

Welp, had a great run with exactly the team I wanted for chapter 2, vestal, grave robber, highwayman, and hellion, could beat the poo poo out of any rank I needed to. Died with it still at a third health because it decided to delete a character with nothing I could do about it. The runs are so long to just have a boss fight that's so rng. Darkest dungeon baby

I can't quite put my finger on what I hate so much about that, like other roguelikes if the run is going like, perfect, I clear the boss. Or just that darkest dungeon 1 never felt half as hard as this does. Something just really hits in the wrong way to go from I'm so loving juiced to oh, there went the whole thing. Time to fire up another one until the radiant light is so op I roll the whole thing. Also haha you lose out on a nice chunk of candles for wiping on the boss.

Do I just rush the body and ignore the lungs for chapter 2? I thought engaging with the mechanic would be the thing to do, and I could see it working if rng goes better, but that's boring to just take stabs until hey, I rolled a 20.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

what does the stress=5 thing mean here? if i hit someone when i have exactly 5 stress i apply dots and get 1 more stress?

e: yeah that seems to be how it works

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 05:27 on May 17, 2023

Warden
Jan 16, 2020

Taear posted:

There's a couple of tiny changes, but nothing major. There's two fights before the act boss at the Mountain instead of one starting at Act III, and the Cultist Deacons only use the Flesh Warp defense from Act III onwards. In addition, the Ordainment bonuses are different for each act (mouse hover-over and alt and then hover over the symbol to see what it does), plus the Cultist Altars give different effects.

I was not amused when the Act IV Examplar procced the 20% to get an extra turn and went to an unavoidable Prelude-Fall combo without giving me a turn in between.

Do I just rush the body and ignore the lungs for chapter 2? I thought engaging with the mechanic would be the thing to do, and I could see it working if rng goes better, but that's boring to just take stabs until hey, I rolled a 20.

Switch your Grave Robber to the Occultist Path who's got +25% ranged damage bonus for Act 2 Boss if you're struggling, the lungs are immune to dots and he can hit both the back lung and the boss with his spaghetti, and make sure HWM is Sharpshot and stays at Rank 2 initially spamming Grapeshot, and using Take Aim whenever there's a window, later you can use Double Tap with Crit token.

You probably should burst down one of the lungs first, because after the boss reaches certain HP threshold, it starts using Deep Breath and filling both lungs. I've done it with one lung dead before killing the boss, and last time I killed both before killing the boss.

Warden
Jan 16, 2020

victrix posted:

holy poo poo lmao

Barristan is a drat hero

4 down, 1 to go

P. much the same thing happened to me, except I also had Vestal left, but both of them should have died, they just refused to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brutor Fartknocker
Jun 18, 2013

Thanks Warden, I'll give it a shot with the occultist.

Hit the fish boss, it was dicey but I blew a shitload of healing items to muddle through it. First zone lair fights seem way better, at least if it goes terribly the run is over with fast.