Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Endings posted:

My daughter (5mo) has finally learned to let her poops out without a multi-hour straining session. I never thought more poop would be cause for celebration, but here we are.

There are multiple poop celebration cycles within the first 3 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

Good-Natured Filth posted:

Week two of weaning, and it's mostly been great. We still put tape on his thumb at night because he has a strong night-sucking habit, but it's off during the day at this point with minimal thumb-sucking attempts. I've caught him start to suck his thumb, double-take, and pull it out; so he's definitely trying his best.

This morning he told me that he took the tape off in the middle of the night because he wanted to suck his thumb, and I told him it was awesome to be honest and understood that it gets hard sometimes.

We're very proud of him, and he's definitely earned his prize at the doctor's office at his 5 year checkup this week.

Just curious why you're actively intervening. Did your kid's dentist say something?

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

Blinkz0rz posted:

Just curious why you're actively intervening. Did your kid's dentist say something?

Yeah. Pediatrician and dentist both suggested we wean him off soon. His thumb regularly cracks and bleeds from the sucking, and his teeth are starting to get an overbite.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Our daughter had an extremely tough time at daycare dropoff this morning. To the point where she cried so hard that she threw up.

And then of course our son started bawling because he sister was so upset. Apparently it has been nonstop crying for about an hour. I feel bad but they said don’t come because it’ll likely make it worse.

Has anyone else experienced something like this before?

We’ve never had this happen to us before. They usually love daycare. They got a stomach bug last week but they’ve been fine for several days and they did fine at daycare yesterday so I don’t think it’s illness.

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream
some days just be like that. The stomach bug likely broke their routine and maybe today just wasn’t their day to resume the routine. Tomorrow’s a new day. I wouldn’t worry unless it became a pattern.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

space uncle posted:

Why won’t this loving kid sleep. They slept through the night for the greater part of 2 years since we sleep trained at 6 months and now we’re hosed.

Even paid a sleep consultant to help out and my wife isn’t even following half the poo poo she says and it’s not even working anyway.

How are we going to have a second kid if we never get to sleep and can’t even gently caress anymore because we’re so tired or someone is sleeping on the floor.

Thank you for letting me rant at this ungodly hour.

It seems to come and go in waves. Good luck, hope it changes soon for you. We're now expecting our 2nd child and the lack of sleep on top of being sick all the time is my greatest fear.

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.
And you don't lay money down.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?
Poop chat has been a highlight for this lurker.

Sometimes my toddler surprises me with a poo the size of a small mammal. It's like, how does it even fit inside their tiny body? It's at least a whole kilo in weight. Where did it come from!? Is the intestines just a miniature Bag of Holding? I mean, wow.

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?

BaseballPCHiker posted:

It seems to come and go in waves. Good luck, hope it changes soon for you. We're now expecting our 2nd child and the lack of sleep on top of being sick all the time is my greatest fear.

The lack of sleep tends to suppress your immune system's response, which is just a double whammy of good times.

I think it's quite common to be sick for an entire season with toddlers. No break between one bug and the next, just an endless stream of stuffy noses, sore throats, coughing and body aches through an entire winter of suck.

Why else would Nurglings be so cute on the tabletop? The inspiration had to have come from somewhere...

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

A Bad King posted:

Sometimes my toddler surprises me with a poo the size of a small mammal. It's like, how does it even fit inside their tiny body? It's at least a whole kilo in weight. Where did it come from!? Is the intestines just a miniature Bag of Holding? I mean, wow.

ours always pees on the drive to the doctor's office, so we're pulling a 2 oz diaper off just before the nurse comes in to weigh him. He was back to birth weight, we swear! Then he pissed it all away!

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

One of ours had a whole phase of only pooping in the yard between diapers and potty trained. We didn't even have dogs he was emulating he just decided he could only poop in the yard.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Took the kids to the library after dinner, it’s been silent ever since we got in the car and they started reading their books. We may just make it to bedtime without having to do any parenting this evening.

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

A Bad King posted:

Mine was reacting to antibiotics the other day and pooped 4 full diapers and then some, one after another.

Like, how? Where does it fit, indeed.

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

devmd01 posted:

Took the kids to the library after dinner, it’s been silent ever since we got in the car and they started reading their books. We may just make it to bedtime without having to do any parenting this evening.

Man this is the best feeling. Hope it worked out for you!

Dobbs_Head
May 8, 2008

nano nano nano

Just need to vent a bit. The week after getting back from “vacation” at Disney has been so rough. My 2 year old got a little bit scared by the loud things at Disney, and he’s been super clingy and whiny since.

The toughest part has been the naps / sleep time. Before travel, he was a champion sleeper. He’d say “night night” and just go to sleep. But at Disney he got used to a disrupted routine where we’d actively help him settle more. Now he’s yelling “mama come here!” at the top of his lungs at nap time and bedtime and early in the morning.

We’re sleep hardasses, so he’s getting a round of sleep training. We check that he didn’t poop or something and then let him cry it out. (We prefer to not go in and sooth because it seems to make it harder for our kids to settle themselves.) But it’s been stressful suckitude while he figures out that we’re back in the routine.

This morning uber sucked. We stumbled from tantrum to tantrum with both the kids. They did that thing where they started getting upset when we said yes and got them what they wanted. The last straw: my 2 year old demanded his sunglasses, but when I handed him his freshly cleaned sunglasses he flipped out and demanded his other sunglasses. So my wife packed him off to daycare (where he promptly calmed down and played nicely).

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Is it a good sign if kids who can’t talk yet have mastered meowing back at the cats

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

Dobbs_Head posted:

Just need to vent a bit. The week after getting back from “vacation” at Disney has been so rough. My 2 year old got a little bit scared by the loud things at Disney, and he’s been super clingy and whiny since.

The toughest part has been the naps / sleep time. Before travel, he was a champion sleeper. He’d say “night night” and just go to sleep. But at Disney he got used to a disrupted routine where we’d actively help him settle more. Now he’s yelling “mama come here!” at the top of his lungs at nap time and bedtime and early in the morning.

We’re sleep hardasses, so he’s getting a round of sleep training. We check that he didn’t poop or something and then let him cry it out. (We prefer to not go in and sooth because it seems to make it harder for our kids to settle themselves.) But it’s been stressful suckitude while he figures out that we’re back in the routine.

This morning uber sucked. We stumbled from tantrum to tantrum with both the kids. They did that thing where they started getting upset when we said yes and got them what they wanted. The last straw: my 2 year old demanded his sunglasses, but when I handed him his freshly cleaned sunglasses he flipped out and demanded his other sunglasses. So my wife packed him off to daycare (where he promptly calmed down and played nicely).

That really sucks dude. If it makes you feel better I’m in the same boat with sleep clinginess and the “yes tantrums”.

Cry it out method hasn’t worked for us yet but we just got some melatonin and are trying a chair method. Cry it out/Ferber worked at all of his previous sleep training and regressions so this sucks even more now. Kid demands that we sit in a chair and watch him fall asleep so slowly trying to move the chair out of the room night by night is the goal.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Is it a good sign if kids who can’t talk yet have mastered meowing back at the cats

No idea, but don’t google infant cat sounds because all that will come up is some rare disease where they make cat sounds.

I’ve stopped googling stuff because I don’t need that stress in my life too.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

I have laryngitis and have had a raspy, croaky voice for nearly a week now. Last night I made the mistake of reading 2 Curious George stories to my kid last night. I ended up coughing so much that my head hurt. I had to tell her no more stories because I couldn't talk without hacking up a storm. Now I'm just full blown regular sick with sniffles, coughing and a headache. Fortunately, my husband is off work this week (he booked it off so he could play Zelda all week), so I'm able to rest a bit and let him take care of some of the childcare. I've made myself some Neo Citrin iced tea and hope to rest a bit.

Every time I tell my daughter that "mama's sick" she replies with, "Gotta call a doctah! Doctah said no more monkeys jumping on da bed!"

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

When son was doing vocabulary explosion all dogs were referred to as "woof woofs". Pokemon rules: animals are named what they say.

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?
The yes tantrums are just kafka human rudeness. I'm giving you what you asked for and you're angry?! Why?! Stop teaching me the importance of a frontal lobe!

How big would a woman's hips have to be for a newborn to have the brain power of a 5 year old, I heard 5-6 is a good age for when these tantrums end...? I mean, I'm sure chimpanzees have issues with their young but they seem to have it better off in some respects...folks, was it it a mistake to climb down from the trees and develop speech?

Dobbs_Head
May 8, 2008

nano nano nano

If I got to pick a reproductive strategy, I’d go with parasitic incubation like parasitoid wasps or the aliens for “Alien”. No need to make eggs big enough for a giant brain or carry big-headed young.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
I was playing outside with my son yesterday, blowing bubbles and having a blast when he stopped suddenly, crossed his arms, furrowed his brow and peered up at me. I asked him why he was mad and he proudly exclaimed, “angry face!” Toddlers are just so freaking fun. I love this stage.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
My daughter basically acted out the entire Tangled movie yesterday before bed while listening to the soundtrack and we were dying of laughter. Toddlers - a land of contrasts.

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?
They're the best.

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

How long do children stay sick for? My 1yr old had a fever a couple of days last week, turning into major congestion over the weekend. He’s gotten a lot better but still uncomfortable and stuffed up.

Also, should I hold off on giving Tylenol/Motrin? A nurse mentioned they liked to let fevers go if it’s not too high, to help the immune system grow. But it feels hypocritical to deny the little guy while mommy and daddy are popping pills like candy.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you

Dazerbeams posted:

Also, should I hold off on giving Tylenol/Motrin? A nurse mentioned they liked to let fevers go if it’s not too high, to help the immune system grow. But it feels hypocritical to deny the little guy while mommy and daddy are popping pills like candy.

Medical science has no clue whether a fever actually helps fight the infection or not. And a fever has nothing to do with “letting the immune system grow” - their immune repertoire is growing from encountering the pathogen whether you give antipyretics or not. So feel free to treat how they’re feeling, and if they seem miserable give them meds.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Dazerbeams posted:

Also, should I hold off on giving Tylenol/Motrin?
If the kiddo is acting normal and feels fine, you don't need to medicate them just because they're "warm". But if they're feeling crummy or breathing rapidly then, yes, absolutely medicate them.

Basically, use the thermometer to corroborate other symptoms that the kiddo is sick, but you don't have to medicate them just because they have a temperature.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

The holding off on tylenol thing may be a thing from vaccinations? I've heard that it's best to not give tylenol to make sure the immune response is the best it can be. I remember that being a thing during the COVID vaccine rollout.

I'm not a doctor/immunologist though that's just what I've heard.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

Eeyo posted:

The holding off on tylenol thing may be a thing from vaccinations? I've heard that it's best to not give tylenol to make sure the immune response is the best it can be. I remember that being a thing during the COVID vaccine rollout.

I'm not a doctor/immunologist though that's just what I've heard.

You aren't supposed to preemptively give Tylenol or ibuprofen for shots. If your kid is feeling miserable afterwards, you can but they don't want you to give it beforehand.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Can I also ask, what the hell is up with Tylenol/ibuprofen in kids?

They'll have a 103 fever and be the most cranky, miserable child on the planet. Just awful looking and clearly suffering. Then they get a little bit of either one and like magic 10 minutes later their fever's gone and they have no idea anything's wrong with them to begin with.

If I feel like poo poo and take some Tylenol, an hour later I still feel like poo poo, just slightly less. Where's my magic cure all medicine? :colbert:

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Renegret posted:

If I feel like poo poo and take some Tylenol, an hour later I still feel like poo poo, just slightly less. Where's my magic cure all medicine? :colbert:
The main difference is that pediatric dosing is done by weight, whereas for adults its not. If you weigh 180 lbs (80 kg) you would need to take four 200 mg ibuprofen tablets to get the same 10 mg/kg dose we give children.

funny song about politics
Feb 11, 2002
I noticed that too. Last night our 15 month old had a fever and was having trouble getting back to sleep at 4am. We gave 1ml of baby Tylenol and within minutes he was sleeping peacefully. Maybe something about their size and metabolic rate makes them respond to the drug much faster. Plus the drug is in a liquid medium, that’s gotta speed things up.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

I always felt this way about infant mylicon, it seems to work so much faster on a gassy infant than anything I've ever had for gas as an adult.

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

speaking of gas, has anyone here had the pleasure of using the "windi"? i was not ready

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

chupacabraTERROR posted:

speaking of gas, has anyone here had the pleasure of using the "windi"? i was not ready

We have them, and I've occasionally contemplated it when he's seemingly inconsolable late at night, but it's always turned out that yet another ounce of milk (after several ounces in a bottle plus an hour of breastfeeding) was all he really wanted.

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

:)
It’s 🌿Garland🌿!😯😯😯 No…🙅 I am become😤 😈CHAOS👿! MMMMH😋 GHAAA😫

chupacabraTERROR posted:

They're not something I ever would have thought to buy if my cousin hadn't told me about them, but drat if they didn't get the job done.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you

chupacabraTERROR posted:

Didn't need them at all for our first kid. For our second kid we used so many that I started buying bulk packs of the knockoff versions on Amazon. It's extra special when instead of just gas coming through you get a whole slurry of poop.

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."
First mirconium poo, baby farted into it as it was coming out so it just expanded like a big black piece of chewing gum. I already had the nappy off to change an unrelated pee incident so I got to watch it real time. Looked like her butthole was opening up to a new dimension.

Like something out of Prometheus, same black goo.

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

Goffer posted:

Looked like her butthole was opening up to a new dimension. Like something out of Prometheus,

Too long for a thread title?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

chupacabraTERROR posted:

Too long for a thread title?

Just skip 2nd sentence and it's perfect:

Parenting thread: Looked like her butthole was opening up to a new dimension