Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
My daughter had a fourth mood in addition to the three mentioned... once she could open her eyes which was "staring at the fluorescent lights on the ceiling of the NICU in abject fascination."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

That does help, thanks guys. I'm still pretty sure our first had a "wiggling around awake enjoying life" mood too but that whole time period was a blur so who knows

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
The human brain makes this whole post-partum block of time very hazy. It is on purpose to ensure we do it again. Very mean thing for a brain to do.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Also hit a boy-dad milestone by getting peed on for the first time, luckily just my hand

I was holding his feet to wipe his butt, and he was melting down like he does every diaper change, and suddenly he got quiet and I was like "oh good, maybe he's getting used to it," and with utterly perfect comedic timing, SPLASH

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

loquacius posted:

Guys is it normal for a newborn to be completely miserable at all times he's not feeding

Like I've already mentioned how he completely flips out every diaper change, but the thing is he's pretty likely to start crying at any given moment he's not eating. Pacifier helps, but only sometimes, and we wouldn't have even given him one this early if it wasn't completely consistent his whole life that he is literally never happy if there's not a boob in his mouth

I don't THINK this is how it worked for us last time, I'd remember that

If he's flipping out every diaper change it could be gas/pooping/digestion issues as well. My second has some of that, so we move his legs like he's on a bicycle and turn his hips back n forth to help him toot and it usually helps him settle a bit. You could also try gripewater with a feeding time to see if that helps.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Yeah to be clear the meltdowns are happening during the change, meaning after the poop, suggesting that he just hates being changed, and to be fair I probably would too, it's quite an indignity

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

during the change they get cold

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

loquacius posted:

Also hit a boy-dad milestone by getting peed on for the first time, luckily just my hand

I was holding his feet to wipe his butt, and he was melting down like he does every diaper change, and suddenly he got quiet and I was like "oh good, maybe he's getting used to it," and with utterly perfect comedic timing, SPLASH

owned lol throw a wipe or something on top of the dong

baby's just adjusting to life outside the womb and maybe they're a nihilist coming to terms with existence

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Don't use a wipe, use a little towel, I forget if we got them from anywhere in particular, but you want something to absorb the liquid while you're going about the change.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

So I’m on paternity leave and it’s pretty wild how weird it is for guys to do infant care out in the wild, even in the Bay Area.

If I show up to any storytime or infant group stuff I’m always the only guy and if I go with another mom we universally get asked if our kids are twins.

Also, if my kid starts crying for whatever reason like 4 moms swoop at me to help handle it, which, okay that’s nice but I got it ladies.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Another update: we finally got around to setting up the baby swing and it appears to do a great job of suppressing his inner rage while keeping him awake. Different strokes for different babies etc etc

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

loquacius posted:

Yeah to be clear the meltdowns are happening during the change, meaning after the poop, suggesting that he just hates being changed, and to be fair I probably would too, it's quite an indignity

Yeah, both my kids hated being changed the first maybe couple of months, and then it went to having a good time, to the point that I sometimes change the current 6 month old just to get him to stop fussing.

(Then when the 5 year old was like 2, he decided the being changed on the changing place in reasonable height for parents was the scariest thing ever, so we had to change on the floor from then. That was really annoying).

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

my children held a summit and decided to not let me play zelda for more than 20 minutes at a time

Woodsy Owl
Oct 27, 2004

loquacius posted:

Guys is it normal for a newborn to be completely miserable at all times he's not feeding

Is baby getting enough to eat at feeds? It took a week for our girl to stop screaming like a banshee all day every day because my wife's milk supply hadn't established. She lost 10% of her birth weight that week. Now she's in the 80th percentile for weight and rarely cries unless she has lost patience because we haven't responded to her cues for something.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

loquacius posted:

Yes, eating solves like 90% of newborn baby problems. So if eating is a problem, it is all consuming problem. My wife was very prideful about her boobs, so we didn't introduce formula to first son until like day 7-8 and it was bad bad bad time for everybody until then. .

Daughter was allowed to eat formula day one. Wife also produces more milk this time, so some of the early days the infant didn't need to be supplemented with formula. Very good days for everybody.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

bitmap posted:

my children held a summit and decided to not let me play zelda for more than 20 minutes at a time

I haven’t played a game that cannot be paused immediately and walked away from in eight years.

nothing online, no fps, etc

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

loquacius posted:

new kid was just a complete demon nightmare for 2 months. it gets better.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

bitmap posted:

I play for 30 minutes and my kid then spends next hour making vehicles at stables.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
my kid played it all afternoon yesterday but I was sick in bed and couldn't join him.

so today I started my game but he's still ahead of me so basically any time I did anything he would tell me why it was wrong or what would happen next.

this is empirically the absolute worst way to play TOTK.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
It's ok, totk probably sucks just like botw sucked.
...And now I've cursed my kid to go all in on Roblox

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
it's honestly Just Okay so far.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

it's botw even more botwy

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

I haven't even finished the intro portion yet but such is the fuckin life when you only get 20-30 minutes to play at a time anymore.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
This is why I game during the workday when the little fucker is at nursery

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

One week in and he's 3 oz above birth weight. Little guy's a champion eater

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Crossing my fingers but despite my initial anxieties about him being mad all the time, so far he is a pretty easy baby. Sleeps well, eats well, now manages to be awake and not screaming for at least some of the day, even when he's awake and should be asleep he just chills on my lap and lets me play Steam Deck

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
My son has been performing poop crimes. He did two in the span of this night. In between taking out the melaria-tent anti-climb canopy out to the balcony to air out.

After the second poop crime, there was a lot of washing. I checked on my sleeping infant, no poop crime, she tells us when she poops with a yell. I whispered to my daughter that she is now my favorite child. No contest.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

my son is such a nice and sweet boy, i had a very sick cat over the weekend (he's fine now) and my son kept trying to pet him and say "it's okay it's okay i'm here kitty" - "it's okay i'm here" is usually something i say when i try to comfort him. he says the same thing to his sister when she starts crying. i love him. if only he would sleep...

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

The answer to the question "why is this baby so angry" has been found btw: my son is simply the hungriest child on earth. He went to his one-week weight check today and at seven days of age he is already 3 oz over his birth weight. I'm ecstatic about this considering how hard it is to get his sister to eat dinner

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

KirbyKhan posted:

My son has been performing poop crimes. He did two in the span of this night. In between taking out the melaria-tent anti-climb canopy out to the balcony to air out.

After the second poop crime, there was a lot of washing. I checked on my sleeping infant, no poop crime, she tells us when she poops with a yell. I whispered to my daughter that she is now my favorite child. No contest.

just had back to back days of poop crimes but it's my own drat fault. kid has had a food jag for apple sauce and coconut yogurt. found some apple-pear sauce mix and figured I'd mix things up and get her to eat another fruit, forgetting that pear and every other fruit that starts with P has a shitload of fiber.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Maybe poop terrorist wants to graduate to toddler bed instead of being encased in a mesh enclosure cage made for babies

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

what's a poop crime in this context

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
pooping with intent to soil.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Pooping without informing an adult

Handling poop outside of designated toilet or changing table area

Spreading poop on bedsheets. Smearing

Falling asleep while covered in poop

All poop crimes.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
In the Something Awful Forums, fecal based offenses are centered around the anus.
In the Parenting Thread, the dedicated posters who investigate these vicious poopys are members of an elite squad known as the Special Changing Unit. There are their stories.
:doink:

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Ahhh it encompasses all poop outside of containment issues

Except blowouts I guess

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
speaking of poop looks like we have our first case of pinkeye

I choose to blame daycare for this... doubly so if they make us keep her at home

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Chad Sexington posted:

speaking of poop looks like we have our first case of pinkeye

I choose to blame daycare for this... doubly so if they make us keep her at home

careful, that's also a symptom of one of the new covid strains

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

500 good dogs posted:

careful, that's also a symptom of one of the new covid strains

yep can confirm knocked out all four of us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
containment breech