Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

BonHair posted:

Basement, ground, first, 3 total. 80m² house outline/footprint.

I had a sneaking suspicion that you lived in a country that numbers its floors with the first one above the ground as "first".

First, can you give a model number of wireless router?

Before repeaters, try moving your wireless router upstairs. Wireless antennas generally are tuned to beam sideways and down, not up, because there are going to be cases where there is nobody up to use the wifi.

After that, you may want to look into a standalone AP, which can be more powerful than the one built into the router.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

SwissArmyDruid posted:

I had a sneaking suspicion that you lived in a country that numbers its floors with the first one above the ground as "first".

First, can you give a model number of wireless router?

Before repeaters, try moving your wireless router upstairs. Wireless antennas generally are tuned to beam sideways and down, not up, because there are going to be cases where there is nobody up to use the wifi.

After that, you may want to look into a standalone AP, which can be more powerful than the one built into the router.

TP-Link Archer AX50 is the router. I really want to avoid moving the router, since that would require a lot of cables, especially since the fiber thingie is below the kitchen which is not a good place for a router.
I guess I can try angling the router or antennas maybe?

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

BonHair posted:

I think this is the right place to ask for help with WiFi repeaters: I'm not a very technical guy, so I mostly just want to make sure I'm not buying something that is crap. I have a house where the fiber internet comes in from the street in the basement of the east side. Then I have a wireless router hooked up to it. But I'm getting bad enough signal that teams meetings get interrupted on the first floor in the west room and coverage is really bad in the garden to the west. It's not a huge garden, like 500m² and I'm okay with not reaching the very end of it.
What I'm thinking is getting a wireless WiFi repeater on the ground floor in the west room. Does that make sense, and which specific/kind/brand should I get?
Anything labeled "repeater" or "extender" sold standalone to be attached to any random existing WiFi network is crap and you should never expect good performance. The same radio is used for uplink and serving clients, so in a best case scenario devices attached to the repeater will get half the performance with twice the latency, and you are never going to get best case scenario performance. Not to mention you'll either have to manually switch between networks as you move around or deal with weird quirks as devices try to roam between two access points that have no idea the other one exists. It's a category of product that should not have ever existed.

If you have an area that can't be covered reliably by a single access point the correct answer is an integrated multi-access point system. The best ones all use a wired link from the "network core" to the remote access points, but since it sounds like that wouldn't be an option the next best answer is a "mesh" system where the remote access points have a dedicated radio to uplink to the central one. You're still sharing that central AP's bandwidth but the remote relay can at least be uplinking and downlinking at the same time so for most normal non-gaming internet use it's as good as a single access point at the same distance would be.

Antenna fuckery at the AP isn't usually going to get you much because the harder part of WiFi is the client devices. They usually don't even have external antennas and if they're mobile they're going to be pointing all sorts of directions, so while you might be able to get them to "hear" the AP better that's only half the battle for two-way communication.

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".
So I posted earlier about a good firmware for my UDM-PRO. I didn't have time then to explain why I was so behind.

The fan on my UDM-PRO quit working like a year ago. It showed up as an exclamation point on the little OLED on the front of it. It's evidently a fairly common fault.
https://old.reddit.com/r/Ubiquiti/comments/tsjz47/udm_pro_cpu_fan_died_replacement_difficult_to_find/

I was worried that if I tried to upgrade it would get too hot. I don't run a very demanding network (UDM-PRO, switches, 2 APs, but lots of VLANS) but upgrading is a different story. Normally, the cpu would hover around 51C.

From poking around I found a number of possible replacements. They seem hard to confirm they're correct.
Ali Express Fan from the link reddit link above: https://a.aliexpress.com/_mKbKQHY

Here's the ebay one that I got. It had the wrong connector but other than that it was a perfect match.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/314101298790

Last night, I finally had time to take the network down and fix it all.
I spliced the old connector onto the new fan and it worked perfectly. Pretty anticlimactic thank god.

Once it was up, I logged into the portal and started the upgrade process. I'm going to get the version numbers wrong here, but the upgrade path was something like this:
1.8.4 -> 1.13.2 (20 minutes) -> 2.0.4 (20minutes) -> 2.50.4 (5 minutes) -> 3.0.20 (5 minutes)

A lot of reboots, upgrades, etc. I was actually surprised to find the network only went down a couple of times and for not very long. I was watching youtube at the time on my xbox.

All in all it was an easy process to upgrade. no issues that I can see.
My UDM-PRO is one of the original run of them and I was really excited about it. That turned to frustration as all of the crap with Ubiquiti went down.
But it always worked pretty well. I can't recommend it because it's 3 years old and the fan died, but aside from that it's been pretty awesome.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Eletriarnation posted:

Weird. I got my house (~1300sqft, 1 floor) wired with Cat6 in 2017 by a company that seemed to specialize in residential and light-commercial audio and data wiring. Cost me right at $900 (2/3 labor and 1/3 materials) and took only half a day to do 5 pairs from a central closet to 5 different locations around the house. Do you have a large house or were you planning a lot of runs?

2100sqft 2 story Cape style. Keep in mind, I asked the vendor my previous job used and he strictly does business - not residential. I can definitely see why after my experience. My businesses around here have crappy drop ceilings making pulling cable extremely easy, and if it's a new business or new tenant remodeling he'll get in there when the walls are open anyway.

I'll probably take another shot at it soonish, or I'll find someone to do it for me...

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!
We had a guy who normally does satellite installs quote and run our network cabling. 8 drops in a three story walkout was about $900 and a day for one guy. Since the basement was unfinished, he managed to get the main floor and the upstairs with two 8x8 holes, one in the basement stairwell and one behind the dresser in the master bedroom. Everything ran up the main load bearing wall along the stairwells from the basement to the second story. Access panels were left in case I wanted to run more in the future.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

wolrah posted:

Anything labeled "repeater" or "extender" sold standalone to be attached to any random existing WiFi network is crap and you should never expect good performance. The same radio is used for uplink and serving clients, so in a best case scenario devices attached to the repeater will get half the performance with twice the latency, and you are never going to get best case scenario performance. Not to mention you'll either have to manually switch between networks as you move around or deal with weird quirks as devices try to roam between two access points that have no idea the other one exists. It's a category of product that should not have ever existed.

If you have an area that can't be covered reliably by a single access point the correct answer is an integrated multi-access point system. The best ones all use a wired link from the "network core" to the remote access points, but since it sounds like that wouldn't be an option the next best answer is a "mesh" system where the remote access points have a dedicated radio to uplink to the central one. You're still sharing that central AP's bandwidth but the remote relay can at least be uplinking and downlinking at the same time so for most normal non-gaming internet use it's as good as a single access point at the same distance would be.

Antenna fuckery at the AP isn't usually going to get you much because the harder part of WiFi is the client devices. They usually don't even have external antennas and if they're mobile they're going to be pointing all sorts of directions, so while you might be able to get them to "hear" the AP better that's only half the battle for two-way communication.

I really appreciate this, even though I don't like that I have to look into a more complicated and/or more expensive solution. I pretty much don't care about latency (if my kids turn into gamers I'm gonna either give them up for adoption or get some wired connections), it's mostly streaming and posting where even a second of delay is not really gonna matter I think.
The mesh option sounds most tempting, anything in particular I should look for? And can I use the existing router or do I go all in on some new setup?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

My eeros seem like they're kinda doing a lovely job these days. What's the current best kind of mesh wifi system? Eero trying to sell me on a subscription to access full functionality isn't precisely encouraging me to replace them with the latest model.

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life

BonHair posted:

I really appreciate this, even though I don't like that I have to look into a more complicated and/or more expensive solution. I pretty much don't care about latency (if my kids turn into gamers I'm gonna either give them up for adoption or get some wired connections), it's mostly streaming and posting where even a second of delay is not really gonna matter I think.
The mesh option sounds most tempting, anything in particular I should look for? And can I use the existing router or do I go all in on some new setup?

evilweasel posted:

My eeros seem like they're kinda doing a lovely job these days. What's the current best kind of mesh wifi system? Eero trying to sell me on a subscription to access full functionality isn't precisely encouraging me to replace them with the latest model.

The RBK50 is still my go-to recommendation for ready to go mesh setups, and It’s dirt cheap (on US Amazon at least).

Just keep in mind the spoke unit still needs to be located somewhere where it can get a strong signal from the hub unit. In BonHair’s case, if you get a weak signal on the ground floor directly above the unit in the basement, you’re still going to have some problems.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

BonHair posted:

The mesh option sounds most tempting, anything in particular I should look for?
The key feature would be the dedicated uplink (sometimes referred to as backhaul) radio. Some of the cheaper setups lack it and they'll basically just deliver repeater level performance with better roaming. I'm usually a UniFi guy for home/small business level WiFi but their mesh system does not have a dedicated uplink so it's more for "most of my APs have wired uplink but just this one serving the garage needs wireless uplink" type situations.

In general if it's sold as "tri-band" or "triple radio" and does NOT have WiFi 6E (6GHz) that means the third is a dedicated uplink on the 5GHz band. WiFi 6E capable devices presumably you'd want "quad band".

quote:

And can I use the existing router or do I go all in on some new setup?
That's going to depend on the system, some will happily operate in a pure bridge/AP mode that can plug in to an existing network and just be wireless access points while letting something else route, others will insist you use the whole system. Google Nest WiFi is one that insists on the whole system for example.

Some quick Googling seems to indicate that the Netgear Orbi setup Cyks suggests has the dedicated uplink radios (and also offers a 6E model with four radios if you want to spend) as well as supporting AP mode so that seems like it's worth investigating further.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
I grabbed some MoCA modems because I accepted how much of a pain it'd be to wire this house up right. I've crimped and wired up a decent amount of ethernet jacks and cables, but I've never done coax before and now I have some coax to terminate:

Any tips? I was planning on just picking up a coax crimper like https://www.amazon.com/TLS-eagle-Crimping-Adjustable-Compression-Connectors/dp/B08Z6X1BZQ?th=1 and going at it: https://www.wikihow.com/Crimp-Coax

Hell, I realized that I don't even know the best way to connect these for MoCA. I want to join 4 wires will any coax splitter work for that? Does it matter which one is in / out? This coax has never been used, never been terminated, and I don't have cable TV or cable internet. I just want to use the existing coax that I have all over the place because I don't have an attic to run Cat5/6.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb

Twerk from Home posted:

I grabbed some MoCA modems because I accepted how much of a pain it'd be to wire this house up right. I've crimped and wired up a decent amount of ethernet jacks and cables, but I've never done coax before and now I have some coax to terminate:

Any tips? I was planning on just picking up a coax crimper like https://www.amazon.com/TLS-eagle-Crimping-Adjustable-Compression-Connectors/dp/B08Z6X1BZQ?th=1 and going at it: https://www.wikihow.com/Crimp-Coax

Hell, I realized that I don't even know the best way to connect these for MoCA. I want to join 4 wires will any coax splitter work for that? Does it matter which one is in / out? This coax has never been used, never been terminated, and I don't have cable TV or cable internet. I just want to use the existing coax that I have all over the place because I don't have an attic to run Cat5/6.

If you've ever done RJ45, coax is way easier. When I did mine I splurged for the explorer kit as well, which isn't a must have but it's super convenient. Doesn't get much use after you're done - but then you can lend it to friends as well :)

These are the tools I used for it:
* https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002KWZCR2/
* https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008C7ZCCO/
* https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B076DP1534/

I believe for MoCA you need a certain type of splitter that is compatible with the frequency used, I used this one and it works great: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M34OZ2S/

You will also want to use a MoCA filter on your connection from the street going into your splitter, so that you don't broadcast your MoCA to the neighbors: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08HJ4F4D4/

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

fletcher posted:

If you've ever done RJ45, coax is way easier. When I did mine I splurged for the explorer kit as well, which isn't a must have but it's super convenient. Doesn't get much use after you're done - but then you can lend it to friends as well :)

These are the tools I used for it:
* https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002KWZCR2/
* https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008C7ZCCO/
* https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B076DP1534/

I believe for MoCA you need a certain type of splitter that is compatible with the frequency used, I used this one and it works great: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M34OZ2S/

You will also want to use a MoCA filter on your connection from the street going into your splitter, so that you don't broadcast your MoCA to the neighbors: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08HJ4F4D4/

Thanks! I don't understand where I'd need to put a filter, this house has never had any cable service and as far as I know there isn't any connection to the street or alley. I'm pretty sure I am an island, every one of those coax lines just goes to a different room of the house.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb

Twerk from Home posted:

Thanks! I don't understand where I'd need to put a filter, this house has never had any cable service and as far as I know there isn't any connection to the street or alley. I'm pretty sure I am an island, every one of those coax lines just goes to a different room of the house.

If you're not connected at all to the street, then you wouldn't need the filter. Seems unusual that would be the case, but it's certainly possible! Once you've identified which room each cable goes to, you'll know for sure.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!
Our new build house was setup like that, fwiw. The builder just left a bundle of coax with the ends crimped on for each room drop, and a separate feed that went to a box on the side of the house. Comcast came and just ran their feed to the outside connection, and I had to do what I needed on the inside. So I have the outside feed directly to the modem, and all the room drops on a splitter that takes a feed from an attic antenna just for broadcast TV since we don't actually have cable TV.

Most older houses I've seen that have had multiple owners and TV services over the years usually have a clusterfuck of cable wiring someplace, with multiple input feeds and splitters on top of splitters. My parents have had cable and two different satellite services, so their coax lines are a nightmare.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

did not have asus router apocalypse on my bingo card this week:
https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=35983866

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

pmchem posted:

did not have asus router apocalypse on my bingo card this week:
https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=35983866

lmao asus is having such a poo poo time lately and the hits just keep coming :allears:

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

You'll be sorry you made fun of me when Daddy Donald jails all my posting enemies!
Im looking for an inexpensive switch or media converter *with source PoE* to put in my (detached) garage and provide connectivity for an access point. Only needs one PoE port, though I'll take more if you have one cheap.

Im seeing this as a decent option https://www.amazon.com/dp/B084JFPDT4?th=1 and my main switch is TP-link, but there might be something cheaper/better to use? Straight up media converters are cheap ($20) but don't supply PoE power for the access point. I found a couple which are powered by PoE, but they consuming the watts, not supplying power. I think I saw one that did supply power, but it was $70. Might as well get the switch. Thoughts? This can't be too uncommon of an issue.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

ilkhan posted:

Im looking for an inexpensive switch or media converter *with source PoE* to put in my (detached) garage and provide connectivity for an access point. Only needs one PoE port, though I'll take more if you have one cheap.

Im seeing this as a decent option https://www.amazon.com/dp/B084JFPDT4?th=1 and my main switch is TP-link, but there might be something cheaper/better to use? Straight up media converters are cheap ($20) but don't supply PoE power for the access point. I found a couple which are powered by PoE, but they consuming the watts, not supplying power. I think I saw one that did supply power, but it was $70. Might as well get the switch. Thoughts? This can't be too uncommon of an issue.

If you only need to provide power on a single port then you want an injector. Example: https://a.co/d/iVlQG2G

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

You'll be sorry you made fun of me when Daddy Donald jails all my posting enemies!

SamDabbers posted:

If you only need to provide power on a single port then you want an injector. Example: https://a.co/d/iVlQG2G
I have a couple lying around, mostly wanting to avoid a rats nest of cables sitting around.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
Every media converter with PoE source capabilities I've ever seen is expensive enough that you may as well just get the switch and have the extra ports unless you have a good reason to not want to have them available.

Personally for a garage I'd probably step up just slightly to the TL-SG1210MPE that adds a very basic web UI for management, or if you're willing to play with the Omada controller system there's the TL-SG2210P. Basic management features are nice to have on a PoE switch if only for being able to remotely bounce a port to reboot whatever the attached thing is.

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

I get why they did it but moving into an apartment built in the last five years that has FTTH only to convert to coax in the panel is sad to see.

Also LOL at the price being $40 for 400/20 during the two year “introduction” rate but being priced at $130 after.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

I'm about to redeploy/reconfigure my entire network to add segregation and as part of that I'm debating upgrading my AP's and would like to get some feedback on my options. I'm leaning towards jumping to the all Mikrotik solution and pulling all the Ubiquiti gear out.

My current wireless setup is:
  • Unifi AC-AP-LR + Unifi Repeater for 2.4 + 5 band coverage. (plus a Unifi Controller container)
  • 2 SSIDs, one for 2.4 and one for 5 to make the assorted IoT/appliance BS easier to connect.
On the wired side I have: What I'm comparing are:

The ER-X is pretty much in place from a combination of existing network and inertia. (aka, it's what i had for the past 7ish years, and i put the other switches downstream as my network grew. bought a new house, started wiring things, needed an actual switch with ports and a patch panel :D )

My thoughts behind 2 new APs are:
Two APs instead of an AP and a repeater provide better bandwidth, and allow device roaming
Two APs will split the 2.4 channel devices easier (going hard on 2.4 smart home devices with a little bit of Z-wave)

UI - Pros:
same config, adopt and go

Cons:
50% higher cost
more VLAN Trunking config

Mikro - Pros:
cheaper
single OEM Environment
Reduced complexity (one less switch in use overall)
PoE Pass-through from one AP to the next vs 2 injectors or 2 PoE ports used.

Cons:
Re-configuring/deploying the entire network
Something else i'm missing, I'm sure

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

Sure the Unifi is more expensive but those are wifi6 vs WiFi 5. If you are fine with just wifi5 why not just keep the ac-lr and add one Unifi AP which would be cheaper than two mikrotik.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

My experience with Mikrotik WiFi has been glitchy and lackluster. The RouterOS WiFi 6 support is still evolving with their usual software release discipline, for what it's worth. Read the forums posts about "wifiwave2" for info on what issues people are experiencing.

I only need a single AP to cover my home and went with a U6-Lite which I flashed to OpenWRT since the chipset is supported and it's been very boring and reliable. If I needed more than one for coverage I'd probably stick with the UniFi firmware and run a controller.

Might also be worth checking out the TP-Link Omada competition too if you're considering an overhaul.

E: What's the deal with the U6 Plus vs Lite? Looks like 160MHz channel support?

SamDabbers fucked around with this message at 18:17 on May 22, 2023

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

SamDabbers posted:

My experience with Mikrotik WiFi has been glitchy and lackluster. The RouterOS WiFi 6 support is still evolving with their usual software release discipline, for what it's worth. Read the forums posts about "wifiwave2" for info on what issues people are experiencing.

I only need a single AP to cover my home and went with a U6-Lite which I flashed to OpenWRT since the chipset is supported and it's been very boring and reliable. If I needed more than one for coverage I'd probably stick with the UniFi firmware and run a controller.

Might also be worth checking out the TP-Link Omada competition too if you're considering an overhaul.

The TP-Link EAP613 are cheaper than either Ui or Mikrotik, and unlike UI, are actually in stock.

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

SamDabbers posted:

I believe the lite only has ax on the 5ghz channel while the plus has it on 2.4 and 5.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
So my wife recently took on a job managing a small commercial real estate company with ~5ppl in a small office (additional 5ppl who work remote). They were totally unmanaged from an IT perspective. Now she wants to find a vendor who can do some minimal IT management and the guy she found is trying to sell them on a firewall (Sonicwall). I'm no enterprise networking expert but I feel like this guy is just trying to set himself up for more support work. I guess you'd need something like that if you wanted to roll your own private company VPN?

For a small company with no on site IT, I feel like a firewall appliance that has to sit between hosts and the internet is an additional point of failure that could become downtime that can't be quickly addressed.

Shaocaholica fucked around with this message at 22:07 on May 24, 2023

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Shaocaholica posted:

So my wife recently took on a job managing a small commercial real estate company with ~5ppl in a small office (additional 5ppl who work remote). They were totally unmanaged from an IT perspective. Now she wants to find a vendor who can do some minimal IT management and the guy she found is trying to sell them on a firewall (Sonicwall). I'm no enterprise networking expert but I feel like this guy is just trying to set himself up for more support work. I guess you'd need something like that if you wanted to roll your own private company VPN?

For a small company with no on site IT, I feel like a firewall appliance that has to sit between hosts and the internet is an additional point of failure that could become downtime that can't be quickly addressed.

Well, they're probably already using a firewall from their ISP. If I was brought in as an MSP to manage the IT of a small company, I would want my own firewall in there instead. Seems totally normal.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
They have 5 laptops and a network printer. No network storage, no servers, no VoIP phones. Everything is done via google docs. What would a (SonicWall TZ270) do for them? VPN?

It's not even about the cost. I just don't know if they are going in too fast from 'no IT' to 'too much IT'.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Pretty much it would let him be able to remotely figure out what's happening with things and know if whatever problem you're having is a firewall's fault or not, it's really more of a work saver than anything else

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
That's what I'm getting hung up on. Remotely figure out what kinds of issues? Fix the network printer? Where would a firewall like that sit anyway? Between the modem and the wifi-AP?

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

What kind of IT management are they looking for?

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

skipdogg posted:

What kind of IT management are they looking for?

Support ~5 windows laptops. Bone stock Windows image. Manage existing MS office licenses. Support google drive desktop. All accounts are local. No remote account management. Have a hot spare(s) laptop in case someone drops theirs off a cliff.

Support the wifi AP in the office. Support their one network printer.

No telephony. No servers.

The office is basically a converted house. Fully owned by the company so all IT services have to be sourced.

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

Agreeing that it’s totally normal to install a supportable firewall, but also your wife needs to clearly define the scope of work for “IT support.” You don’t need to pay somebody to manage your network for that sized company.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
The other 'intangible' part of the scope is basically that none of the employees are tech savvy to support themselves for even the most minor issues. And while I could do it I just don't have the flexibility to be always on call.

Also how do these no-wifi entry level firewall appliances work with wifi? Do you just plug in a consumer wifi router into them and put the wifi-router into AP mode? That way the firewall just does all the management?

Shaocaholica fucked around with this message at 23:50 on May 24, 2023

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

Shaocaholica posted:

The other 'intangible' part of the scope is basically that none of the employees are tech savvy to support themselves for even the most minor issues. And while I could do it I just don't have the flexibility to be always on call.

Also how do these no-wifi entry level firewall appliances work with wifi? Do you just plug in a consumer wifi router into them and put the wifi-router into AP mode? That way the firewall just does all the management?

You would buy a dedicated AP and potentially a switch. For a job like that, most likely Unifi.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
Yeah, this is all totally normal if you contract out an MSP to handle your IT. You want to standardize the equipment you support as much as possible, for obvious reasons.

Shaocaholica posted:

ISP Modem/ONT > Firewall > Switch > WAP

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

It probably also needs to be said that if you set things up properly with pf, pfsync, and carp, a firewall isn't the single point of failure that a lot of people think it is.
It is also entirely doable on off-the-shelf consumer hardware for a multi-gigabit FTTH connections.

If the internet is as important as it seems like it is for them, it's worth finding an IT guy that can ensure it stays up.

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

ISP Modem/ONT > Firewall > Switch > WAP
CPE - Firewall - Router - Switch - WAP.
Even if you're doing everything on a pair of boxen using the above method using a pair of GPON SFP+ modules, you still need to conceptualize it like that - otherwise, you risk configuring it wrong.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 12:57 on May 25, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

It probably also needs to be said that if you set things up properly with pf, pfsync, and carp, a firewall isn't the single point of failure that a lot of people think it is.
It is also entirely doable on off-the-shelf consumer hardware for a multi-gigabit FTTH connections.

That’s interesting… what would be the cheapest/simplest setup that could do this?
Like I know I can set my UDMPro up with redundant WAN connections from say, 2 ISPs but that’s still my UDM as single point of failure. What (two) consumer device(s) will do BGP?
Also can it be done with only one WAN connection?