Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

In the famous laoganma crispy chili sauce there are some crunchy soy beans. are there any sauces/condiments sold that consist mainly of them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
You can definitely get soy and black bean sauces, fermented or otherwise, but i haven't heard of a crunchy one

fr0id
Jul 27, 2016

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
What are some good Chinese recipes that reheat well in a microwave? I already know about congee. I’m looking to make some easy lunches that I can reheat or are okay eaten cold (although I have not yet gotten a taste for stuff like cold noodles).

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Cold chicken 2 ways

https://www.seriouseats.com/sichuan-chicken-salad-chinese-bang-bang-hot-and-numbing-recipe

https://thewoksoflife.com/sichuan-chicken-chili-oil-sauce-kou-shui-ji/

Personally I find most food tends to reheat well if you avoid certain ingredients like bell pepper or eggplant or cilantro that turn to mush or lose their flavor under the even steaming action of a microwave

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Apr 1, 2023

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

I made this, loved it, but was also surprised at the extent to which it made my fridge stink.

Sir Sidney Poitier fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Apr 1, 2023

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
If your fridge stinks its because you don't have enough kimchi in it.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Mr. Wiggles posted:

If your fridge stinks its because you don't have enough kimchi in it.
Isn't that backwards?

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

I'd be quite happy to put up with the stink of both bang bang chicken and kimchi - and now you mention it they also sound like a winning combination. However, regrettably, I'm not the only user of this fridge.

They are both things which seem to not give a poo poo what sort of container they're kept in - the smell seeps through regardless.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

I'd be quite happy to put up with the stink of both bang bang chicken and kimchi - and now you mention it they also sound like a winning combination. However, regrettably, I'm not the only user of this fridge.

They are both things which seem to not give a poo poo what sort of container they're kept in - the smell seeps through regardless.

I make my kimchi and put it in a glass jar with a rubber ring seal and hook. Smell doesn’t seep out at all, but you do need to eat it regularly as it will hold and build pressure. So you can leave it for a few days, but probably not a month.

Ra-amun
Feb 25, 2011

fr0id posted:

What are some good Chinese recipes that reheat well in a microwave? I already know about congee. I’m looking to make some easy lunches that I can reheat or are okay eaten cold (although I have not yet gotten a taste for stuff like cold noodles).

I made lu rou fan this month and it’s super versatile. I’ve eaten it over rice and noodles and I honestly don’t need a ton of it to make a meal. Over noodles, it actually reminds me a ton of jajangmyeon, at least with the recipe that I used. The recipe also includes a quick cucumber pickle that goes well with the dish. It freezes and reheats great and is just as fall apart tender as when I made it.

https://www.vice.com/en/article/k7wqgm/lu-rou-fan-recipe

There’s a video of this recipe in the article and YouTube as well if you need some visual reference.

The recipe does start out with a home made dashi stock but you can probably get away with dashi powder or just water. I also started with 50% of the soy sauce asked for after reading some comments that the dish was too salty afterwards, but I upped it to 75% after tasting it. You can probably do it to taste as long as there’s enough liquid to cover. I might’ve done more, but my puny 5.5 qt Dutch oven was filled to the brim.. so feel free to cut the recipe in half, especially for a trial run. I had to put more than half of it in the freezer even with two people. I also hardboiled a few eggs to eat with it as is traditional with any sort of red braised pork.

Ra-amun fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Apr 21, 2023

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Do you specifically use the branded shallot sauce, soy sauces and peanut butter? Why does that matter?

Ra-amun
Feb 25, 2011
The shallot sauce is actually pretty delicious and is supposed to add a bit more fried shallot punch, but considering that the majority of the flavor comes from the soy sauces and regular fried shallots, you can probably skip it without missing much. I'd also say that as long as the peanut butter is smooth, it'll serve its purpose of thickening the sauce. I just used the Pearl River Bridge soy sauces and it came out just fine.

I'd probably just attribute the specific brands to chef's preference here.

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity
Eric Sze is legit and makes some delicious Taiwanese food. I've eaten at both of his restaurants and chatted with him a couple of times.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Made Laziji today, cant feel my face and am sweating profusely.

10/10 would again.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

I watched the recent Chinese Cooking Demystified video on 'fish tofu' and so I picked some up when I visited the supermarket. Where has this been all my life? Works even better than fish balls in soup.

One thing I didn't find at the supermarket though was gluten. Is this something one can normally buy? Is it fresh or frozen? I'm looking for the spongey stuff I've had in soups before.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

ever heard of wheat? it’s packed with the stuff

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

One thing I didn't find at the supermarket though was gluten. Is this something one can normally buy? Is it fresh or frozen? I'm looking for the spongey stuff I've had in soups before.

Usually it's in with the tofu at the Chinese groceries I've been to. There are also canned versions, some as mock meats and some as just straight seitan. I don't think I've seen it frozen though I guess it could be? It also comes dried, I've never used it that way.

Wonton
Jul 5, 2012

fart simpson posted:

ever heard of wheat? it’s packed with the stuff

Wheaties too?

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004

Spuckuk posted:

Made Laziji today, cant feel my face and am sweating profusely.

10/10 would again.

Laziji kicks rear end, it's been too long since I've had any.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Usually canned.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

I watched the recent Chinese Cooking Demystified video on 'fish tofu' and so I picked some up when I visited the supermarket. Where has this been all my life? Works even better than fish balls in soup.

Canned, sometimes frozen.

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

This is what I have on order right now after getting recommendations elsewhere on SA

https://outdoorstirfry.com/product/powerflamer-iei-propane-160-long-lead-time/

Strongly considering putting in an outdoor wok station on my deck instead of a grill.

Would the powerflamer work with a cast iron wok? I was given one of these Lodge woks as a gift and want to put it to use https://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/lodge-cast-iron-wok/

Is there a reason the powerflamer is superior to a cheapo outdoor burner? https://www.webstaurantstore.com/backyard-pro-square-single-burner-outdoor-patio-stove-range/554BPSQ16.html I know that often you have to pay for nice equipment, but I’m wondering what the price difference means for performance or otherwise.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Isn't canned gluten mostly labelled "mock duck" and crazy high in sodium?
My ma makes seitan pretty often, and I can honestly say if my Irish, terrible cook mother can successfully make seitan, then pretty much anyone can.
This is a woman who burns spaghetti. She makes decent seitan.
Believe in yourself, you can make better seitan than her.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

kreeningsons posted:

Strongly considering putting in an outdoor wok station on my deck instead of a grill.

Would the powerflamer work with a cast iron wok? I was given one of these Lodge woks as a gift and want to put it to use https://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/lodge-cast-iron-wok/

Is there a reason the powerflamer is superior to a cheapo outdoor burner? https://www.webstaurantstore.com/backyard-pro-square-single-burner-outdoor-patio-stove-range/554BPSQ16.html I know that often you have to pay for nice equipment, but I’m wondering what the price difference means for performance or otherwise.

The powerflamer can put out a much hotter flame than the regular outdoor burners that cap out around 50k-60k BTU. It tops out at 160k BTU. You can absolutely manage with the cheap one, but you'll want to build some walls around the flame and it'll take a little longer to heat up. I have an outdoor burner that does about 140k BTU with a disperse flame, and it gets rip roaring hot fast. The cheap burner won't keep it as hot while cooking either, but would still work, just maybe not as perfectly. It would work fine with a cast iron wok though as that will hold the heat better.

Though that wok looks pretty tiny at only 12".

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

I’ll add that the webstaurant store one looks like it’s designed for flat-bottomed boiling pots (so like a seafood boil or beer making or turkey frying). The wok stoves tend to have a bit of a different flame pattern and are a bit more efficient with woks. That is more of the heat ends up in the wok with a wok burner than one built for flat-bottomed pots. And probably the other way too, I’d bet the wok burner wouldn’t make the best beer brewer either.

The powerflamer has a few more basic designs, I think I linked them a couple posts later. As far as I can tell it’s just how fancy the ignition/plumbing is. Not as inexpensive as the webstaurant store deal though.

And one more nice thing to have is a control valve at the burner side so you’re not having to go down to the tank to control it. The powerflamer ones have that for sure, and it’s definitely convenient.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Canned seitan really is appallingly salty.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

I’ll add one more thing with outdoor burners. Kenji did a review of the ones available a while ago: https://www.seriouseats.com/outdoor-wok-burner-review (that’s where I got most of my info). He recommends a smaller burner by Eastman as well as the bigger one I’ve been using, and it looks like it’s a bit cheaper as well since it’s currently on sale on Amazon.

Eeyo fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Apr 29, 2023

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

THANK GOD FOR THE SMOKE MACHINE!
I have an Eastman Outdoors burner. It's pretty good, but the main thing I don't like is that it's still pretty awkward to use a round bottom wok, due to the weird claw-shaped bracket setup they have. Scratches the poo poo out of my wok and doesn't actually hold it all that stable. I would much prefer a proper wok ring like the Powerflamer that's always back ordered.

It is much more compact, though, since the legs detach and telescope.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Fake wok hei:

I think it was Kenji who advocated just using a blow torch in your wok to simulate wok hei flavor?

Jonathan Kung has an alternative: liquid smoke in your soy sauce

https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7229082800635268395

Might try both sometime soon. I have a jet burner so I can get real flames but I’m also lazier as I grow older

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
It doesn't recreate the wok hei imo, but it does taste good and I have done it before myself. Works especially well when you want to recreate the hint of cooked with fire. Just be selective about which liquid smoke you use. Specialty wood flavors are geared toward the bbq world, but it works really nice if you're doing some char sui with big pieces of pork.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Jhet posted:

It doesn't recreate the wok hei imo, but it does taste good and I have done it before myself. Works especially well when you want to recreate the hint of cooked with fire. Just be selective about which liquid smoke you use. Specialty wood flavors are geared toward the bbq world, but it works really nice if you're doing some char sui with big pieces of pork.

Got a recommended liquid smoke flavor?

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Steve Yun posted:

Got a recommended liquid smoke flavor?

Wright’s Hickory is probably the least wood specific one and Applewood more distinct but still good. Mesquite is really specific. It’s usually the only brand that is just the smoke and water and doesn’t have additives.

Wonton
Jul 5, 2012
Go easy on the liquid smoke, lots of restaurant stir fries get too savory or greasy quickly. Or you need to compensate with something like lard or glaze.

I think it’s more important to have consistent shapes - eg don’t use slices of carrots with strips of pepper. All strips or all cubes. I think that’s the biggest problem I see in western stir fry.

Yes you need some wokhei to keep your dishes dry and crisp- but I think dry is the key, master chefs can make everything feel really really light and fragrant that goes well with the fresh scallion. (even though they probably used lard)

Wonton fucked around with this message at 03:14 on May 5, 2023

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
I use a very cheap Aldi outdoor burner oft my Wok and it works fine for me. The not quite as hit flame actually helps because your stuff doesn't turn as fast.

However as for cast iron woks, I would recommend to jsut go pick up a cheap, thin one at the Asian grocery store. The cast iron woks heat very evenly and you don't get the benefit of hit center cooler sides.

For example if you make ginger scallion chicken, you can slide the browned ginger up the side before adding other stuff and it won't burn. This will not work with cast iron afaik.

Wonton
Jul 5, 2012

fr0id posted:

Nah man, it’s like cold pizza, you just eat cold fried rice, or stale jellied ice noodles. Slam a coffee and say “duck it”.

Next time finish all your food so you won’t have to deal with left overs

Wonton
Jul 5, 2012

Ra-amun posted:

I made lu rou fan this month and it’s super versatile. I’ve eaten it over rice and noodles and I honestly don’t need a ton of it to make a meal. Over noodles, it actually reminds me a ton of jajangmyeon, at least with the recipe that I used. The recipe also includes a quick cucumber pickle that goes well with the dish. It freezes and reheats great and is just as fall apart tender as when I made it.

https://www.vice.com/en/article/k7wqgm/lu-rou-fan-recipe

There’s a video of this recipe in the article and YouTube as well if you need some visual reference.

The recipe does start out with a home made dashi stock but you can probably get away with dashi powder or just water. I also started with 50% of the soy sauce asked for after reading some comments that the dish was too salty afterwards, but I upped it to 75% after tasting it. You can probably do it to taste as long as there’s enough liquid to cover. I might’ve done more, but my puny 5.5 qt Dutch oven was filled to the brim.. so feel free to cut the recipe in half, especially for a trial run. I had to put more than half of it in the freezer even with two people. I also hardboiled a few eggs to eat with it as is traditional with any sort of red braised pork.

That looks really good, I want to dip it in some wonder bread and eat it like sloppy joes. Lu rou fan is kinda like sloppy joes

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I have embarked on my midlife crisis.

Soon(tm)

I think I might want the locking wok ring instead of the metal circle thingy, it slides around a little.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
My seasoning adventures begin and I only burned my fingers a couple of times!

It burns!

Butterfly.

The Center invades the East!

Almost there.

Then I begin seasoning.

Here I kinda hosed up, I didn't turn off the heat to do the second layer, with the little cloths you see in the back
it resulted in a sort of chemical smell and I immediately discarded the rag.

I think I saved it, I turned off the heat, switched to a paper towel to spread around the oil and then resumed.

This time for the third layer I more carefully turned off the heat, waited to cool down a bit, and then applied the third layer.

Result!

Hopefully I didn't screw up. :ohdear:

It's too dark now to try a 4th layer or to experiment with cooking something, but maybe tomorrow! :shobon:

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I checked on my doubanjiang I got like last summer and it was in my cupboard, it doesn't look like it grew any mold and it was unopened but the seal on it has bulged outwards; in other foods isn't that usually a sign of botalism, is it safe in this case?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Raenir Salazar posted:

I checked on my doubanjiang I got like last summer and it was in my cupboard, it doesn't look like it grew any mold and it was unopened but the seal on it has bulged outwards; in other foods isn't that usually a sign of botalism, is it safe in this case?
I mean it's probably just lactofermentation but it's 100% not worth the risk to find out. Just toss anything that decides to spontaneously start bulging on the shelf.