Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Rebus posted:

Season 7 for comp MH to return? At least I know when to reinstall.

gently caress, I missed that bit in the roadmap on account of no full PvE. Also

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Man if it sucked so bad they just killed it, it must have really sucked

Also lol the Roadhog rework getting pushed back into "the future"

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
a thing about the Overwatch IP is that it has a *lot* of casual fans, because the heroes themselves are super popular, right? Everyone loves Tracer, Reinhardt, Lucio, etc. A competent company would look at that and go "hmmm, we'd get a lot of money from PvE, regular lore drops, a TV show, etc., just so casual fans can clap like seals at all the characters bouncing off one another"

and instead the most they've advanced the story in seven years is "Overwatch might be getting back together to fight ???"

legit incredible

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

so are they gonna go back to calling it overwatch 1 now

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

Chillgamesh posted:

Man if it sucked so bad they just killed it, it must have really sucked

Also lol the Roadhog rework getting pushed back into "the future"

A former Blizz dev spilled some words on the situation:

quote:

Currently they only have (and only had) the same story missions shown at previous Blizzcons [°°°] beyond these already existing missions, they don't have ANY OTHER PLANS

There are multiple show-stopping bugs that still haven't been recognized because the Q&A staff was reassigned to Diablo 4

They planned to hold the Wonderful One-Hoss Shay together long enough to be bought by Microsoft, then collapse spectacularly.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

Father Wendigo posted:

They planned to hold the Wonderful One-Hoss Shay together long enough to be bought by Microsoft, then collapse spectacularly.

Well first the game has to survive until the ink dries on the deal :v:

Dick Jones
Jun 20, 2002

Number 2 Guy at OCP

So they could have just continued improving Overwatch 1 this entire time.

I'm guessing the co-op modes planned for future seasons will be like Storm Rising/Junkenstein in terms of depth & replayability? I can sorta see why the talent tree thing might have been too complicated to pull off considering there's 3 - 4 new heroes per year now, but character locking story missions could have averted that issue.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

Dick Jones posted:

So they could have just continued improving Overwatch 1 this entire time.
With just as much success as they had making the PvE Campaign, yes.

Dick Jones posted:

but character locking story missions could have averted that issue.

They're doing exactly that for each mission, though.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Father Wendigo posted:

Where is this quote from?

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
They might have made the game worse, and failed to give what they promised, but they gave the gift of battle passes.

People love those.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
I don't think I've ever seen devs just drop a nuke on their active playerbase that they need to support their games as a service model. Don't work too hard on that next season pass, lads. I get the feeling sales are gonna go down.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

What a craptacular fuckup OW2 is.

They might as well just integrate rule34 into the game at this point, cause they sure don't have much else going on for them.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
simply incredible

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Jack Trades posted:

What a craptacular fuckup OW2 is.

They might as well just integrate rule34 into the game at this point, cause they sure don't have much else going on for them.

what is with you

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
HANG 'EM HIGH

We're fighting human animals and we act accordingly
For those of us who don't give the first gently caress about PvE (a silent majority, perhaps, based on the direction the game is going), this is just business as usual. Glad they won't be bloating my competitive shooter with campaigns I'll probably open once and go "huh" and then never open again.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

HAHAHAHAHAHHAAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHA

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Pvt. Parts posted:

For those of us who don't give the first gently caress about PvE (a silent majority, perhaps, based on the direction the game is going), this is just business as usual. Glad they won't be bloating my competitive shooter with campaigns I'll probably open once and go "huh" and then never open again.

I never expected the PvE to be anything other than dogshit, it's just laughable that they were hyping it up so much considering they probably never even approached a functional and fun product.

Just blizz selling stuff written on a napkin.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Reminder

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Yeah I feel like a PVE mode would be poo poo anyway? Like buying Call of Duty to play the single player campaign? what?

Just an odd thing to hype up in what's really obviously an ESPORTS READY online shooter. No wonder they put no resources into it and waited until Micro$oft bought them to go "lol actually the mode was a lie"

Also kinda wish the loot boxes were a thing instead of the current "pay :10bux:" method. Like I guess the game is free so there's a time-value-for-money calculation there and I do like the spooky house fox Dva skin but would be nice to not be stuck with default everything unless you shell out cash.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

appropriatemetaphor posted:

Yeah I feel like a PVE mode would be poo poo anyway? Like buying Call of Duty to play the single player campaign? what?

Just an odd thing to hype up in what's really obviously an ESPORTS READY online shooter. No wonder they put no resources into it and waited until Micro$oft bought them to go "lol actually the mode was a lie"

Also kinda wish the loot boxes were a thing instead of the current "pay :10bux:" method. Like I guess the game is free so there's a time-value-for-money calculation there and I do like the spooky house fox Dva skin but would be nice to not be stuck with default everything unless you shell out cash.

There is literally only one time they did not launch it with a single player mode and immediately went back to doing it.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

The gall to use the "PvE mode" as an excuse to trojan horse f2p/battlepasses/worse game and then go "lol jk no PvE" is unbelievable.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

The REAL Goobusters posted:

There is literally only one time they did not launch it with a single player mode and immediately went back to doing it.

The reason why they didnt - assuming you mean Black Ops 4 - was because they were trying to cram in four god drat modes (Campaign/MP/Zombos/BR).

Thing is, the difference between OW's hypothetical campaign and CoD's campaign is that one has all this setup and lore bits that it could at the very least be a Netflix show if they wanted.

The other is CoD.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
It's kind of indicative how gross this industry has gotten and how thoroughly Blizz has come to represent it that almost anyone with a brain knew PvE was just a pie-in-the-sky scam from the beginning.

Some flashy cinematics, vague roadmappy type bits of info, and then table it until the game has been out for a year and you can quietly reveal it was never real in the first place.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
"Who wanted PvE anyway?"

PvE mode was requested by a large percentage of the playerbase due to the popularity of the holiday PvE events and a not insignificant number of players who enjoyed the team-based gameplay of Overwatch but not the PvP element(fighting other humans, toxic playerbase, metas, etc.) It was used to justify not updating OW1 for three years because they were doing so much heroic asset and level building work. They hyped up PvE skill trees. OW2 was originally going to be another purchase (so $40-60, presumably $40 to mirror OW1) where you can PvP for free but if you want that juicy PvE you gotta pay because devs gotta work hard to make it. Players also love the OW characters and were eager to see this absurd, anemic mess of a setting finally yield some fruit past the point where Winston hit the "Overwatch is getting back together" button.

This announcement is a big deal. The OW twitter thread and OW reddits are coated in players announcing that they're uninstalling or Blizzard has managed to sever their attachment to the game and patience to wait and see because they were waiting for the PvE mode.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
The reaction from the few friends I still play with once in a while is roughly: "Thank god, the special events were trash anyway" with a sprinkling of :psyduck: over how the game does tiny number tweaks and overhauls toolkits that could have been designed around in earlier campaign itterations.

That's four minds merged into one messy blurb.

You guys ever set up a pool for when the cancelation announcement was gonna be?

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
PVE was the one thing I was counting on to get me back into overwatch 2 because I don’t have the skills or temperament for PVP lol.

Rest in pisssss

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
HANG 'EM HIGH

We're fighting human animals and we act accordingly
this seems to have upset the casuals :smuggo:

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

buglord posted:

PVE was the one thing I was counting on to get me back into overwatch 2 because I don’t have the skills or temperament for PVP lol.

Rest in pisssss

:yossame:

Hashy
Nov 20, 2005

It was pretty clear when they released the Halloween pve thing and it really felt no different to the old seasonal pve there was no immediate link between the brush up they did to release overwatch 2 and the pve mode that has been in development

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

lol
lmao

kaleedity
Feb 27, 2016

hey it could have been as bad as wc3 reforged, lol.

IncendiaC
Sep 25, 2011
I recall a number of folks jokingly predicting (in this thread or the blizzlols one) that they would release PVP OW2 first to sate the playerbase, then quietly scrap PVE while everyone was distracted. Nobody took those jokes seriously because no matter how incompetent blizzard has been in the last 7-10 years, there’s no way they’d outright lie about PvE right? It could play like dogshit but surely they wouldn’t do something as brazenly scummy as heavily advertise PvE as a core pillar of OW2 for 4 years, then pretend it never existed 6 months after launch?

lol

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

kaleedity posted:

hey it could have been as bad as wc3 reforged, lol.

I still consider that a partial victory in that I could still play all the dumb custom games I loved to play back in 7th grade but in 1440p.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

buglord posted:

I still consider that a partial victory in that I could still play all the dumb custom games I loved to play back in 7th grade but in 1440p.

Except now those games are now under Blizzard's IP.

Including Canned Bread.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I actually was interested in the PvE lmao

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

So they couldn't figure out Project Titan again. Tigole Bitties saw all this coming and got out while the getting was good.

I'm one of the brilliant Overwatch players who demanded PvE but never bothered playing most of the previous coop modes. I always throw myself into the meat grinder of Mystery Heroes so I can blame RNG instead of my own lack of skill when I get my rear end kicked. I'm going to uninstall in solidarity since I finished the battle pass last week, then we'll see what they come up with for next season.

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:

Runa posted:

I actually was interested in the PvE lmao

Same. I kinda like the characters but lmao they are never advancing this story.

People are waaaaay madder than I expected too a lot of people were excited

SirKibbles fucked around with this message at 23:22 on May 16, 2023

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

The REAL Goobusters posted:

I meant like people don't buy cod to play the campaigns

and I think ran into my first hacker? maybe? a widow with sus looking rapid headshots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/794407452753657917/1108158501500485672/sink.mp4