Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: MokBa)

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Mega64 posted:

The more convoluted a solution, the better a solution it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Albatrossy_Rodent
Oct 6, 2021

Obliteratin' everything,
incineratin' and renegade 'em
I'm here to make anybody who
want it with the pen afraid
But don't nobody want it but
they're gonna get it anyway!

For the broken rail I just used a regular minecart with three fans and it just got over the first try. No idea what I did that worked.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Does anyone else still get the heebie jeebies from the massive height up on sky islands on occasion? It's funny because there's like no danger whatsoever since you have many ways to keep yourself safe but even still just walking around that high up my stomach drops just a little.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme
I just hung it underneath on the good rail.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Books On Tape posted:

Do the signpost puzzles ever get any harder? I've done about 5 of them all the same way, make a L out of two boards for the sign to fall against.

In a few ways, as others mentioned. The sign itself gets different shapes and thus may be weighted in weird ways, there may be some inclines, you may only have limited resources around, so on. It's never going to be very difficult since it's designed to be a quick diversion, but there may be a few you have to get creative with.

John Wick of Dogs posted:

I just found a shrine that's entire premise was "You are naked, build a killdozer and mow down some robots". Love this game.

I ignored the vehicles completely, love these shrines.

My favorite of the Eventide Shrines so far is the one where the robots are on platforms that are rotating around several levels of water. I struggled a good bit on that one for a few minutes, but then I discovered...actually, I'll put that in its own separate spoiler.

Spoiler for the above spoiler: You can Ultrahand the platforms out from under those robots, and just insta-kill the majority of the robots that way, giving you enough resources to easily wreck the one or two remaining.

e:

YoshiOfYellow posted:

Does anyone else still get the heebie jeebies from the massive height up on sky islands on occasion? It's funny because there's like no danger whatsoever since you have many ways to keep yourself safe but even still just walking around that high up my stomach drops just a little.

Mainly to the extent of "OH gently caress I DON'T WANT TO LOSE ALL MY PROGRESS ON WHATEVER I WAS DOING".

Mega64 fucked around with this message at 22:30 on May 16, 2023

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

YoshiOfYellow posted:

Oh for sure. My palms definitely get sweaty with some of those sky islands, even though I have not actually died yet from falling.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge
If you ever see some tracks with a broken rail, or theres only one, just fuse a minecart to a shield, that lets you grind them

Fifteen of Many
Feb 23, 2006
I’m at the BotW shrine location on Thundra Plateau and I swear it looks like this floor is something. I dunno what, but something!

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Zore posted:

Wizzrobe hunting can be fairly lucrative because you can split off the gem back at Terry Town for 20 rupees. So each of them can be sold for like 70-90 rupee profit and you can take them down with one hit of their opposing element.

Lol my dude in the time you spend hunting down a wizrobe to haul it's thing back to town to pay for removal for a single gem to sell at slight profit you could... Do almost anything and make more. I think even the easiest ingredients cooked into a meal would get you more rupees faster. This is Kramer and Neuman realizing they can sell cans across state lines for more money than at home.

Really just go exploring caves and hills and underground. Ore is absolutely everywhere. Sells the opals and ambers as if they were just rupees you picked up. The ruby/topaz/sapphires will eventually pile up, diamonds a bit slower but I still sold the bulk ten to the gem bonus lady in Gerudo town the other day and already have enough for the upgrades or special quests if I want again.

If you need rupees fast, can also sell a legacy outfit, if you're not interested in cosplaying as TP link or whatever then each price of it is 600 rupees.

You also run into the dragons constantly and when you need a specific upgrade item it's easy enough to grab it so if you need rupees sell those parts too.

There's also quests and fun minigames that have good rupee rewards for having a bit of fun.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Haha

After you use a shield rocket if you try it again there’s a pathetic puff of smoke

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

YoshiOfYellow posted:

It's weird, in a lot of games I totally get a weird feeling when actually falling in the games. Hell I'll look away or close my eyes and my gut will still have that roller coaster drop feeling. Sometimes it's fun and exciting, other times just annoying, which makes sense since in those games falling like that means death or worse, having to redo.

I don't really get that feeling here I guess just because you get so many tools and falling is itself fun and honestly pretty slow feeling.

My favourite outfit from sky Island rewards totally negates fall damage and it's so fun to divebomb headfirst full speed into solid ground.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
Even looking up stuff online (like where to farm certain materials) is a blast for me, like a guide will mention some spooky/badass sounding place and getting there will be a journey with all the stuff to do along the way. This game is so stuffed full of content

Albatrossy_Rodent
Oct 6, 2021

Obliteratin' everything,
incineratin' and renegade 'em
I'm here to make anybody who
want it with the pen afraid
But don't nobody want it but
they're gonna get it anyway!

Shrines: "I bet you can't take these twenty-seven parts and assemble a fully functioning escalator!"

Me: "yeah, I bet I can't" *raises platform to exit, holds it there for a couple seconds, drops it, casts Recall*

My Second Re-Reg
Aug 31, 2021

Come on down.
Let's make a deal.
Hell, I'm a good 20+ hours in, about to beat dungeon #2, and I still haven't seen any of the gloom hands or Phantom Ganon the thread keeps talking about.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Steve Yun posted:

Pro tip for climbing steep mountains on limited stamina:

If you’re climbing and there’s a slope that’s like on the borderline of being walkable, you can switch from climbing to standing. Push the movement stick forward so that you don’t slide down. Even if it’s too steep and standing fails and you go back to climbing, the attempt to stand will mean you’re not climbing for that second or two, during which your stamina regenerates a precious little bit

This is something I got a lot of mileage out of in BOTW and it seems to work in TOTK too

Oh I forgot to add this trick also works very well climbing steep slopes in the rain, as long as it’s not totally vertical

Also when you’re climbing vertical walls in the rain, you can get five steps before you slip. If you climb 5 steps then jump, you’ll slip down but will still have made progress. You can climb short distances in the rain this way

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

I've been tooling around the depths firing off bright bulbs and running away from monsters and I came across the Construct Factory, which I figure is some later game poo poo because I found a sword and shield that are way stronger than anything else I've seen yet. I love this massive world of darkness, its like everything you find is a secret.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
BotW had the same problem, but I wish the unique recipes(like pies, cake, ect.) were actually worth making. They usually only give hearts, and not many at that.

Also since there's a recipe book now it'd be nice if recipes you saw in the world were automatically added to it without having to make them yourself first

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
I found one of the boulder pattern Korok puzzles, tried looking around for a boulder and didn't see one. Then, I went, "I wonder..." and dropped my rock crusher made out of a rock and branch in the empty place. Of course it worked.

Does anybody know off hand a location with a couple of the square grated pieces that you can ultrahand? I've decided to assemble a death tank and building it out of wood seems like not a great idea. Maybe one of the skylands?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

RatHat posted:

BotW had the same problem, but I wish the unique recipes(like pies, cake, ect.) were actually worth making. They usually only give hearts, and not many at that.

Also since there's a recipe book now it'd be nice if recipes you saw in the world were automatically added to it without having to make them yourself first

They now have an actual use in that the Horse God lets you upgrade your horses in exchange for unique meals I guess.

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord
So while walking around Hyrule Castle, I stepped in some gloom to get through a doorway to another area. The gloom damage debuff suddenly went away after a few seconds and it was just a lost heart. I thought it was supposed to persist, or is that only in the depths?

Fighting Elegy
Jan 2, 2007
I do not masturbate; I FIGHT!

Fake James posted:

So while walking around Hyrule Castle, I stepped in some gloom to get through a doorway to another area. The gloom damage debuff suddenly went away after a few seconds and it was just a lost heart. I thought it was supposed to persist, or is that only in the depths?

I just ran into some gloom for the first time last night, but as far as I know sunlight cures the gloom, but doesn't heal the damage.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Fake James posted:

Correct, sunlight(or the light roots in the depths) heal it

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Underground, no way out except full retreat, just me and some hands and the only weapon I had worth a darn was a Gloom Club. That was tense, but I won and it was worth it.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

John Wick of Dogs posted:

I just found a shrine that's entire premise was "You are naked, build a killdozer and mow down some robots". Love this game.

That's been my favorite so far. I hope there's a big playground to make murderbots somewhere in the game, even if it's post-story.

The Tarrytown course is a good start.

MiracleFlare
Mar 27, 2012

Mega64 posted:

What are the best rupee-grinding methods in this game so far? This is an emergency.

If you have a horse, some cold-resistant passives (clothing, weapon, or shield; I don't remember if this area needs level 1 or 2 resistance), and a lot of arrows, hunting near the Snowfield Stable and cooking everything into meat skewers still works. It's way less profitable than it was in BOTW though: Sell price is lower, animal spawns seem to be lower, and and I haven't seen rhinos at all here, but it's still a good way to earn cash if other options have been exhausted or are out of the way.
One tip, always headshot bears because if you hit them anywhere else they will easily tank it. Other animals usually go down after 2-3 body hits so it's more forgiving.

BrokenLink posted:

I don't know if anyone else mentioned this, but if you go back to the room in the forgotten temple, the memories are in order, left to right on the wall there, starting with the zonai looking one.

Oh, duh, I took pictures of that and then forgot about it completely. Thank you!

Your Uncle Dracula
Apr 16, 2023
Best grinding method is probably duplicating diamonds with the bow drop glitch.

How do you use (YIGA/GERUDO DESERT SPOILERS) the Earthwake technique? Whenever I try to attack without a weapon, Link just tries to draw something that's not there. e: it just doesnt work in shrines

Your Uncle Dracula fucked around with this message at 23:54 on May 16, 2023

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Best fight I’ve had so far was fighting some gloom in the depths

I was heading to a light root which had an escape to the surface, it was the end of a long trek in the depths

Saw a gloom pop up out of the floor! Started running for my life towards the lightroot in the dark

The hands grabbed me, I switched between shaking my joystick wildly to escape their grasp and swinging wildly with my weapon. I could see I was doing some damage but not enough

Hearts draining until I died. Then a fairy I forgot I had in my bag brought me back to life! I ran again, got caught, shook free and took swings several times until I died. And then another fairy brought me back!

Kept repeating this until I’d used up my last fairy, hands grabbing me, me calling out to God to save me, until finally I had dragged myself far enough away from the gloom’s spawn point for it to give up and turn back. I had only one heart left and crawled my beaten rear end to the light root

I got my rear end beat but it felt like a victory to just be alive

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
I have played for like 30 hours.

I have not been able to find Hestu or a Great Fairy.

This is getting to be annoying now.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Albatrossy_Rodent posted:

For the broken rail I just used a regular minecart with three fans and it just got over the first try. No idea what I did that worked.

Three fans was probably enough velocity. I tried with two fans and two mine carts thinking the rigidity of two mine carts would be enough to get it across and it fell

There’s a really good game makers toolkit episode on YouTube where he talks about how developers will lay out an obvious solution that’s set up to fail in order to make you think harder to get to the real solution. That broken rail really sticks out to me as the best “invisible” tutorial in the game so far

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 23:45 on May 16, 2023

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
I'm glad they decided to let you play as Aqua instead of Zelda
https://twitter.com/morningmoonmeme/status/1658568722465046528?t=D_cf_Q4TGCtOFIxrHa8MZQ&s=19

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
hestu is way too obscure for being so vital. they should plonk him down in the middle of a drat fireworks display, not have him cowering off the side of the road

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Bomb shield is getting pretty close to rocket shield in the best shield race

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Natural 20 posted:

I have played for like 30 hours.

I have not been able to find Hestu or a Great Fairy.

This is getting to be annoying now.

The Great Fairies are all near stables and people will point them out now. However, they all have sidequests before you can use their services.

Hestu is between Lookout landing and Rito village on the road right near one of the towers. Once you've saved him or beaten several regional phenomena he moves to Lookout Landing

Zore fucked around with this message at 23:48 on May 16, 2023

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Steve Yun posted:

Three fans was probably enough velocity. I tried with two fans and two mine carts thinking the rigidity of two mine carts would be enough to get it across and it fell

There’s a really good game makers toolkit episode on YouTube where he talks about how developers will lay out an obvious solution that’s set up to fail in order to make you think harder to get to the real solution. That broken rail really sticks out to me as the best “invisible” tutorial in the game so far

I did two fans and three carts, which worked, but barely and in a funny way

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Zore posted:

The Great Fairies are all near stables and people will point them out now. However, they all have sidequests before you can use their services.

Hestu is between Lookout landing and Rito village on the road right near one of the towers. Once you've saved him or beaten several regional phenomena he moves to Lookout Landing

Okay I'm less mad for asking because I literally never ever would have found him.

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

I went to check out the Faron Garden of Hearty Durians and was brutally killed by the Gloom Hands. There's also a white Lynel right above there. Great joke, Nintendo!

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

RatHat posted:

They don't even really sell for a profit, I made a few pizzas thinking it'd be good money but it sold for less than a cheese. Even if I got free milk from acorn trades and then got free cheese from that milk it wouldn't be worth the time.

Seems like most fancy recipes exist mostly for increasing horse stata at horse god

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Is there a trick to fighting Ghidorahs? I can shoot the bits I'm supposed to shoot, but they're incredibly tanky even with 40-50 power swords. In contrast I can chew through tier 3 boxbot or black hinoxes in no time.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Yesterday I was loving around and then I saw a horse glowing in the dark, so I immediately dropped the other stuff because hey -- glowy horse! So I tamed it (with the help of a stamina elixir, it was rough) and it only had three spurs, but still, glowy horse, so I wanted it, so I went to the nearest road with the intent of traveling it until I found a stable.

Turns out there was a stable right there, and when I pulled up on the horse they went "oh, hey, you found Princess Zelda's horse! We had a whole sidequest for you about that, but okay, here are the rewards and you get to keep the horse, good job I guess". So I named it Horseda.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

CapnAndy posted:

Turns out there was a stable right there, and when I pulled up on the horse they went "oh, hey, you found Princess Zelda's horse! We had a whole sidequest for you about that, but okay, here are the rewards and you get to keep the horse, good job I guess". So I named it Horseda.

Mine's Triforcer.