Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice
Are we also installing Intel RST drivers after we install the Synergy driver? Clean build, Win10.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

BurritoJustice posted:

my brain still reads BypassIO as rhyming with "Mario" and I love it

I will always read "dedup" in the tone and cadence of the Pink Panther theme

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

canyoneer posted:

I will always read "dedup" in the tone and cadence of the Pink Panther theme

Solidigm is "sol-a-dig-em", it is known

(its supposed to be pronounced like paradigm, yes its extreme marketer trash naming)

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Solidigm is "all the good names are already taken" to a ridiculous degree

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

We should just go back to acronyms like Digital Equipment Corporation

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
Solidigm is a better name than kioxia

Beef
Jul 26, 2004
Any name where you can actually guess what the company does or sells would be great. Solidigm could be a retirment home, oil drilling company or insurance company.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
First draft of Intel's name was dumb too. Founders wanted to name it Moore-Noyce, which is like naming your catering company Sam & Ellis.

They lucked into the less dumb name which you can't tell is supposed to be short for Integrated Electronics.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

If you want to see bad brand names, look at any Amazon listing that has 20 nearly-identical listings from different Chinese companies. One of them is like 'Azzsy' or something.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

TOOT BOOT posted:

If you want to see bad brand names, look at any Amazon listing that has 20 nearly-identical listings from different Chinese companies. One of them is like 'Azzsy' or something.

https://www.amazon.com/stores/NICGIGA/page/DD3330ED-2B9A-4513-A1DA-11505EC71A77?ref_=ast_bln

Worst Amazon brand I've seen this year.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

WhyteRyce posted:

I tried to, what I naively thought, end the discussion by saying the priority was getting the chip out the door because selling these chips is what we do. The guy looked at me smugly and said, "No. What we do is ship a healthy...product". It was that point I realized a non-zero number of internal tool developers had no idea about what they own and that no one outside of the lab will ever give two shits about their code.

I joined in 2005, so well into the Craig era when most of Andy's vitriol had been shaken out of the company. An internal tools dev (pile of XML to set up a pile of muxes) was the first person I heard drop a curse word in a meeting, ever, I was kinda shocked. It was over something incredibly trivial, like the XML was late or had an extra comma or something, and that dev was really fired up over it.

But yeah, intel's really good at putting folks in boxes and not letting the boxes touch.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

VostokProgram posted:

We should just go back to acronyms like Digital Equipment Corporation

You can’t. DEC is still around as an employee credit union and poo poo.

E: Nevermind they’re now the DCU or Digital Credit Union.

Arivia fucked around with this message at 03:11 on May 17, 2023

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

A company I used to deal with for work was called White Power. They are still around but thankfully tweaked their name.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

slidebite posted:

A company I used to deal with for work was called White Power. They are still around but thankfully tweaked their name.

Reminds me of how in Britain large appliances are known as “white goods”. Guess what an aisle that contained electrical hookups and the like for white goods would be labeled.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Paul MaudDib posted:

god, if it's sata SSD why even bother?

and I'm only partially kidding. I'd love big QLC/QVO style 8tb+ SATA drives if it was sufficiently cheap, but outside of SATA being easier to scale than NVMe (tri-mode SAS cards etc) it's really just not worth a "high end" SATA ever now. Those drives I listed are reasonably cheap TLC drives, DRAMless TLC NVMe really isn't that much worse than SATA anything, and those drives go up to like 2TB at great value. The cost of disk is determined by the flash I think, NVMe vs SATA is no longer that big a price difference in the BOM of a high-end drive.
gently caress AHCI SSDs in particular, because even if the bandwidth limits weren't a thing (which means you're effectively IOPS limited by the interface), the biggest problem with AHCI is that NCQ offers a single queue of 32 commands.

NVMe has 64k queues that can each fit 64kb.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

slidebite posted:

I get that WP was for the founders initials, normal thing like JRZ or whatever, but the choice to call it White Power was always a bit weird

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I think we're probably talking about 2 different white powers. The one that I am thinking of was indeed name, but power was their business so it was appropriate in the sense of traditional naming methods.

Just maybe not so appropriate in other ways.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Oh, my mistake, I was thinking of the Austrian suspension company WP

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/VideoCardz/status/1659831437531422720?t=At7NLgOC6M2Q8mkIz4T1tQ&s=19

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

I know I'm going to sound like a dickhead, but I wish links were to the article directly as opposed to through some random twitter post

https://videocardz.com/newz/intel-proposes-x86s-a-64-bit-only-architecture

One of my DNS blocklists blocks the t.co domain, and I don't feel like unblocking it

Edit: but the actual idea sounds reasonable enough. They want to clear out some cruft that doesn't represent the way modern CPUs are used

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 09:24 on May 20, 2023

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

I have a feeling this will be an embedded-only thing like the last time they released an x86 chip that dropped legacy modes.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Would AMD have access to it too if it came to fruition?

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

It's been real (mode)

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Kazinsal posted:

I have a feeling this will be an embedded-only thing like the last time they released an x86 chip that dropped legacy modes.
Nah, it's a bit different - nowadays, by the time a CPU comes out of reset, it's running in 64bit mode for UEFI.
UEFI-CSM is the only way to get to the INT 0x19 instruction, which is how a BIOS jumps to the MBR for traditional booting, and it's more of a hack.

Most hypervisors also support unrestricted guest mode (ie. calling INT 0x19 to boot from an MBR formatted disk), and it's probably better to run legacy software on modern hardware.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Would 32 be possible with some sort of emulation?

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

slidebite posted:

Would 32 be possible with some sort of emulation?

It'll retain 32-bit ring 3 support but drop 32-bit ring 0, so a hypervisor will be required to boot a legacy OS but it will be able to run (most) 32-bit code without emulation, and the host kernel and/or hypervisor can trap and emulate the edge cases. 16-bit code will need full emulation.

Here's Intel's own summary page: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/developer/articles/technical/envisioning-future-simplified-architecture.html

SamDabbers fucked around with this message at 15:50 on May 20, 2023

crazypenguin
Mar 9, 2005
nothing witty here, move along
Seems neat. Hopefully it helps fix some of the boot-up complexity, because their own description of how boot works is massively over-simplified, especially when a TPM (+ microcode updates + ...) is in the mix.

Here's a good article: https://mjg59.dreamwidth.org/66109.html

Intel's summary hosed up the most basic part of pitching though. "What are the benefits?" "It removes features." lol, remember to actually say the benefits people!

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

It’s a fire sale

https://www.servethehome.com/free-280gb-optane-ssd-with-purchase-of-intel-core-i9-12900k-12900kf/

quote:

Users in the STH forums (and here) found a quite amazing deal if you are in the market for an Intel Core i9-12900KF. On Amazon right now, you can purchase one of the CPUs and get a 280GB Intel Optane SSD included for about $1 more for a 0% premium. There is also a Core i9-12900K bundle for about $353 with the same SSD.

Good night Optane my sweet prince

Beef
Jul 26, 2004

Pouring one out irl

Beef fucked around with this message at 20:47 on May 24, 2023

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Beef posted:

Pouring one out irl

lol, "persistent". lmao

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Depending on the price of the CPU, it's not actually a very good deal at all, given that an Optane will steal a bunch of PCIe lanes for no benefit.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

~Coxy posted:

Depending on the price of the CPU, it's not actually a very good deal at all, given that an Optane will steal a bunch of PCIe lanes for no benefit.

It’s just a x4 nvme ssd???

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

~Coxy posted:

What?! all NVMe use PCIe lanes.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Uh I might be about to show my whole rear end here, but I don't understand how flexible PCIE switching is on motherboards.

Isn't the 1st PCIE slot typically directly connected to the CPU, and then all the other slots are from the chipset, and all sharing a PCIEx4 link from CPU to the chipset or something? So if you hang a lot of NVME disks off of a single board that's using the chipset for M.2 ports, they're all going to be bottlenecked by the link between the chipset and the CPU?

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

Many times there's an M.2 also linked directly to the CPU. Beyond that yes you're at the mercy of the CPU->chipset link but frankly if you're doing something with your multiple nvme drives where this actually matters you probably aren't buying a consumer board. For everybody else one fast drive and a couple slower ones is totally fine.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
It looks like the Alder Lake CPU<->chipset interconnect is "x8 DMI 4.0" so unless they're doing something funky where that isn't the same speed as x8 PCIe 4.0, you have plenty of bandwidth for a single NVMe drive (especially if it's 3.0) on the chipset M.2s.

source: https://www.servethehome.com/intel-12th-gen-core-alder-lake-details-at-intel-innovation-2021/

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Eletriarnation posted:

It looks like the Alder Lake CPU<->chipset interconnect is "x8 DMI 4.0" so unless they're doing something funky where that isn't the same speed as x8 PCIe 4.0, you have plenty of bandwidth for a single NVMe drive (especially if it's 3.0) on the chipset M.2s.

source: https://www.servethehome.com/intel-12th-gen-core-alder-lake-details-at-intel-innovation-2021/

Good to know, that seems like plenty of bandwidth for everything. The onboard NICs are coming off of the chipset too, right?

The most powerful computer I have right now on AMD's X300 platform, which is how they brand "no chipset at all". It looks like on newer machines they're calling it by its codename instead, "AMD Knoll".
https://www.igorslab.de/en/a-ryzen-without-one-chip-set-operates-without-whats-behind-the-knoll-activator/
https://www.angstronomics.com/p/site-launch-exclusive-all-the-juicy

Are current Intel chips able to pull this off, or do they need a chipset to be able to boot / run?

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

You get a small latency penalty being off the chipset but you probably won't notice that unless you're using an Optane drive for very specific niche cases anyway.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

Twerk from Home posted:

Good to know, that seems like plenty of bandwidth for everything. The onboard NICs are coming off of the chipset too, right?

Yeah. You should check out the block diagram at the link as it has all the details, but the only connections on the processor itself are:
- RAM
- Primary dGPU, 1x16 or 2x8
- Primary storage, 1x4
- Integrated graphics
- Chipset

Everything else is on the chipset.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Twerk from Home posted:

Uh I might be about to show my whole rear end here, but I don't understand how flexible PCIE switching is on motherboards.

Isn't the 1st PCIE slot typically directly connected to the CPU, and then all the other slots are from the chipset, and all sharing a PCIEx4 link from CPU to the chipset or something? So if you hang a lot of NVME disks off of a single board that's using the chipset for M.2 ports, they're all going to be bottlenecked by the link between the chipset and the CPU?

Speaking generally: the cpu can run in x16/x0/x0, x8/x8/x0, or x8/x4/x4 modes, so there can be up to 3 physical slots driven off the cpu. Note that this lane assignment is not fully flexible - you can’t do x0/x16/x0, x0/x0/x16, x0/x8/x8, or x8/x0/x8 - you get only those three choices of physical slot configurations. If you put a x16 card in the second slot the most you’ll ever get is x8 and the third slot is max x4. (however, extremely occasionally the order of the slots isn't the same as the order of the channels they're plugged into... more common on server stuff tbh)

Also, often (not always, but it’s common on enthusiast stuff and most workstation stuff has it) these physical slots can be bifurcated, so you can run in x4x4x4x4/x0/x0, x8/x4x4/x0, x4x4/x8/x0, x4x4/x4x4/x0, or x4x4/x4/x4. This allows you to do things like risers that give you multiple slots out of a single physical one, or the asus hyper m.2 cards with 4 pcie on a slot (with no switch chip). But that’s up to the mobo vendor to implement and the smallest increment is usually a chunk of x4 lanes, so you can have up to 4 PCIe devices on your 3 physical slots.

Outside bifurcation, cards (or motherboards) can also include switch chips and the sky is the limit (you can essentially attach as much as you are willing to spend/as many pcie devices as your BIOS will support - there eventually is a limit I guess). Look at like the High-Point Technologies Rocket R1108 or R1508 for example. And that doesn’t any special cpu support because the switch chip handles the multiplexing. In this case they can each run at max speed up to their individual bus sizes and the total bus size of the switch chip.

You also get another dedicated x4 for nvme these days, but there’s also nothing special about this and it can also be routed to a physical slot (like Asrock X470D4U). It just is, by convention, usually used for Nvme but it’s just another dedicated x4 link under the hood.

Finally you have the chipset which runs on another dedicated x4 link and can provide various IO expansion, typically some mix of usb, pcie/m.2 slots, and SATA. The choices depend heavily on the exact chipset but generally there is some mix and often the chipset is oversubscribed and plugging something into a pcie slot can result in the loss of a m.2 or vice versa, because you’re using that chipset io port for something else. When you see the lovely little 2.0x1 or 3.0x1 on older intel board those slots go to the chipset, although these days it’s often x4 on newer chipsets.

The thing to remember is that pcie is completely generic these days, there are many physical interfaces and they all work the same electrically. You can put a OCP 2.0 network card or a M.2 Nvme into a cheap physical adapter card and plug it into a pcie slot, because M.2 NVMe and OCP are both Nvme. You can also get m.2 risers which plug into M.2 slots and let you put a pcie card in a vertical mount in your case, or plug into a U.2 SSD.

Pcie is the boring, predictable interface that everyone wishes USB was. It’s so drama free that people don’t even think about it mostly. It just is a matter of physically adapting the various connectors and then it just auto-negotiates lane counts and clockrates seamlessly. Nerdy thing to simp for but god drat I love pcie, I love poo poo I don’t have to think about. It’s really only at the extreme margins like bifurcation or "how many switch chips can I stack before the BIOS breaks" that it even enters the discussion.

(and really technically you can have the thing you're switching be SAS controllers and plug a bunch more PCIe stuff into Oculink/SlimSAS links too, which gives you a whole other logical layer with actual proper enterprise support... that's the "right" way to do it if you really want to plug 256+ pcie devices into a pentium.)

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 21:09 on May 25, 2023