Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Joke Miriam
Nov 17, 2019

My phone told me that CNN says Russia claims it hit a Patriot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Joke Miriam posted:

There's a decent chance it'll be added to their HIMARS kill list.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Joke Miriam posted:

What I have gathered is that some US adviser claimed a Patriot had been damaged, without specifying exactly what it was. Russia then claimed it as a kill, while others in Ukraine said the damage relatively minor and was caused by falling debris.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

I would have expected the launchers to be farther apart.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

HelloSailorSign posted:

Maybe I missed it, but I see lots of missile launches but nothing in the way of evidence of a launcher being hit?

Ya gotta WAIT FOR IT!!

Wombot
Sep 11, 2001

There is a shorter clip from the same camera in one of the replies that shows a pulse of light from the rough area where the missiles were fired from, but it's not in the 2 minute video that was posted in-thread. The shorter video has no clear indicator of when it was filmed vs the longer clip so it's unclear if it was before or after the salvo, let alone how much time elapsed between the clips.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Wombot posted:

There is a shorter clip from the same camera in one of the replies that shows a pulse of light from the rough area where the missiles were fired from, but it's not in the 2 minute video that was posted in-thread. The shorter video has no clear indicator of when it was filmed vs the longer clip so it's unclear if it was before or after the salvo, let alone how much time elapsed between the clips.

Different than the bright flash from each launch before you see the interceptor clear the buildings? Like, without the full context I could see that being taken for an impact.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

mllaneza posted:

I would have expected the launchers to be farther apart.

Same. I was under the impression that patriot usually disperses their batteries pretty widely. Like 10s of miles apart and that the control hub doesn’t need to be that close.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

:stare:

Oh drat.

I am definitely not up on current CIS politics. After Georgia, Ukraine, and Moldova....who's next?

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it
Armenia, CIS is doing gently caress all to protect them from Azerbaijan

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Flikken posted:

Armenia, CIS is doing gently caress all to protect them from Azerbaijan

Armenia invoked the mutual defense clause of the CIS and asked Putin to help and he basically shrugged and said deal with it yourself

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

HonorableTB posted:

Armenia invoked the mutual defense clause of the CIS and asked Putin to help and he basically shrugged and said deal with it yourself

Not gonna lie, if it wasn't for Lions led by donkeys I wouldn't even pay attention to Armenia.

That podcast has widened my horizons

Jimmy Smuts
Aug 8, 2000

Holy poo poo that's one hell of a show. Looks like there were a few duds towards the end maybe?
edit: I just realized part of the reason why I'm impressed is because this is real life Missile Command

Jimmy Smuts fucked around with this message at 01:36 on May 17, 2023

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Those all look like interceptor launches to me?

Jimmy Smuts
Aug 8, 2000

I'm not a SAM guy, so I'm not familiar with them

Borscht
Jun 4, 2011

Flikken posted:

Not gonna lie, if it wasn't for Lions led by donkeys I wouldn't even pay attention to Armenia.

That podcast has widened my horizons

Fantastic joke. 10/10

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Deteriorata posted:

What I have gathered is that some US adviser claimed a Patriot had been damaged, without specifying exactly what it was. Russia then claimed it as a kill, while others in Ukraine said the damage relatively minor and was caused by falling debris.

this was actually a misnomer

Tom Brady got hit by falling debris and is currently in the hospital

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Jimmy Smuts posted:

I'm not a SAM guy, so I'm not familiar with them

Wasn't directed at you specifically but I ran the video in reverse and am pretty sure I traced each flash back to a launch.

So yea I guess some poo poo could have fell out of the sky and bent a radar or something but I really don't think they actually got struck proper.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Do the missiles use an FTS if they lose targeting data? Could be those missiles self terminated early after their target was struck by a different missile.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

no idea how accurate any of this is but it might be a good overview

https://www.sandboxx.us/blog/the-ultimate-guide-to-the-patriot-air-defense-system/

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

https://twitter.com/vidtranslator/status/1658261743548891136?s=20

lmao

CIA recruiting Russians using commercials in the bleak dingy stylings they all know and love

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

AlternateNu posted:

Oh drat.

I am definitely not up on current CIS politics. After Georgia, Ukraine, and Moldova....who's next?

it doesn't really matter, since the CIS proper doesn't mean much. the version of the CIS that mattered was called the Soviet Union. the former Soviet republics generally have close (if not necessarily amicable) relations regardless because they share borders and economic ties anyway. idk if Moldova formally leaving would have much meaningful impact on its relationship with, say, CIS member Kazakhstan, since realistically Moldova doesn't have much reason to interact with Kazakhstan (versus the EU, Romania, Ukraine, and Russia) anyway.

there are several related economic and military treaties that are more meaningful. the military treaty, the CSTO, has had significant issues stemming from its member states attacking one another, with the CSTO just kinda shrugging and saying "idk, nothing we can do to mediate this conflict lol"

economic relationships in central asian states are more complicated. remittances from migrant workers in russia factor significantly into several central asian nations' economies, and all of them are somewhat stuck in a balancing act between chinese and russian economic influence

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!

Jimmy Smuts posted:

Holy poo poo that's one hell of a show. Looks like there were a few duds towards the end maybe?

Could be the angle of the shot and perspective, ie; the missles are flying away from the camera

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

There's legitimate outlets reporting that a Ukrainian patriot battery may have actually been damaged in yesterday's strike.

Washington Post posted:

A Patriot air defense system — the most advanced air defense in the U.S. arsenal — was damaged in the attack, a U.S. official said Tuesday, speaking on the condition of anonymity due to the sensitivity of the issue. The extent of damage is unclear, the official said, though it is unlikely Ukraine will need to ship it to another country for repair.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
Even if one did get damaged , it's not a big deal. It's a top of the line conventional AAA system, not an invincible war winning wunderwaffe.

Edit: just imagine how insufferable the Russian telegram channels are going to be the first time an Abrams is lost in theater.

A.o.D. fucked around with this message at 16:32 on May 17, 2023

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

the ERA damaged it

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Alan Smithee posted:

the ERA damaged it

Half tempted to buy an :era: smiley featuring the 2 Ukrainian era gremlins.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Alan Smithee posted:

the ERA damaged it

Well:
https://twitter.com/GuyPlopsky/status/1658839862366150656

...not impossible, of this particular report is accurate, and not damage control for someone with loose lips.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Shrapnel put a slow leak in one of the tires
Reflected overpressure spiderwebbed the windshield

Russia declares entire patriot battery an economic loss.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Arrath posted:

Gonna have to push the buttons on the CTIS just a little bit harder.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Arrath posted:

That is all that happened after however many things were launched at it?

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

ASAPI posted:

That is all that happened after however many things were launched at it?

https://twitter.com/MassDara/status/1658479217393426432?t=88lOLmzNqsqNlcV95oXZ1Q&s=19

Tangy Zizzle
Aug 22, 2007
- brad
https://twitter.com/ArmsControlWonk/status/1658857945558294528?s=20

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Imagine what they could achieve if they put this much effort into attacking some actual military target, instead of terror-bombing the cities and civilians.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Der Kyhe posted:

Imagine what they could achieve if they put this much effort into going the gently caress home

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
I imagine Shohei Ohtani would be an even better batter if we outfitted him with millions of dollars worth of radar and a precision guided bat for every pitch.

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp
It feels so petty to waste all the time, energy, money, and resources on random terror strikes. Even if half of them hit in Kyiv, they would hit what most likely? Apartments and Hospitals? Transit hubs at high traffic times? While the civilian deaths would be brutal, nothing would stop the war. Even if cruelty is the point, this is just such a massive waste. And even if they did overwhelm the air defenses for one night, what does it matter when it requires this much time and energy the next night and so forth.

There has to be more worthwhile targets near the front, like that could result in actual gains or advantages. I know I'm just an armchair general and a civilian at that, but this poo poo is so baffling to me. I'm totally happy to be proven wrong as this thread has some great insights for morons like me, but I'm just baffled by the effort and the waste really.

Alan Smithee posted:

Imagine what they could achieve if they put this much effort into going the gently caress home

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
Getting timely, usable coordinates for a mass strike against contested, constantly repositioning front line tactical targets is hard work. It also requires a degree of battlespace awareness and C2 integration that Russia probably doesn't have. Apartments and bus stops aren't going anywhere and you can pull targets off Google Earth.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Crazy Ferret posted:

It feels so petty to waste all the time, energy, money, and resources on random terror strikes. Even if half of them hit in Kyiv, they would hit what most likely? Apartments and Hospitals? Transit hubs at high traffic times? While the civilian deaths would be brutal, nothing would stop the war. Even if cruelty is the point, this is just such a massive waste. And even if they did overwhelm the air defenses for one night, what does it matter when it requires this much time and energy the next night and so forth.

There has to be more worthwhile targets near the front, like that could result in actual gains or advantages. I know I'm just an armchair general and a civilian at that, but this poo poo is so baffling to me. I'm totally happy to be proven wrong as this thread has some great insights for morons like me, but I'm just baffled by the effort and the waste really.

The Acoup blog did a great analysis a little while back about why bad military leadership keeps trying civilian bombing campaigns. Basically they *feel* like they should work, and when you're in a war there's a desire to punish the enemy, so thus bad leadership tends to default into this same mistake pattern over and over again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Crazy Ferret posted:

I think Russia is making a strategic bet with these attacks that they will help them outlast western support. They don't have any offensive capabilities except grinding their own manpower into dust against Ukrainians and massed attacks using stand-off missiles of questionable tactical usefulness (due both to systemic intelligence failures and poor-quality weapon systems). The latter option saps expensive air-defense resources which increasingly have to come from the west, so they've picked it as a pain point. The horror of it is a desired feature matching the genocidal malice of Putin's regime, not a flaw at all from their perspective.