Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

plogo
Jan 20, 2009
I think an irony about Nader's run was that he spent most of his career opposed to getting involved in electoral politics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Main Paineframe posted:

If Howie Hawkins had 40 million people nationwide ready to vote for him, being removed from a handful of states wouldn't have prevented him from managing to get even a single electoral vote across the thirty ballots he was on in 2020. If he had 80 million people ready to vote for him, then keeping the Greens off the ballot via procedural challenges would become effectively untenable - even if it worked once, it certainly wouldn't be so easy to repeat next time around.

Instead, he barely broke 400,000 votes nationwide, despite being on the ballot in 29 states and DC, and available as a write-in in almost all the other states. Nobody is ever going to give a poo poo about the woes of a party that gets just 0.26% of the popular vote. The best he did in any state he was on the ballot in was a whopping 1% of the popular vote. You can't blame that on ballot access restrictions. Hell, the Dems weren't the only ones contributing to his ballot access woes; Hawkins was so weak that two state Green Parties refused to list him on the ballot on their states.

Outsider political movements (whether they're third-parties or insurgent factions within a party) don't really need votes. It might be closer to say that they need money, but that's not quite right either. What they need is the support of the people, in all its forms. As long as they have that support, they can turn it into votes or into money or into ballot access or into big street protests or into whatever the gently caress they need for whatever political tactics they want to try out.

If the Greens want to move up from city councils and school boards with their current level of support, they should be targeting state legislatures or House seats, instead of wasting everyone's time on presidential runs.

Fun fact that will live rent free forever in my head: Howie Hawkins lost to Kanye West in 4 out of the 8 states in which they were both on the ballot.

This is not a statement for or against anything being posted about third parties, just an observation.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

intuit does a lot of stuff besides tax preparation - bookkeeping software, payroll services, email marketing, and personal finance software to name a few - so they definitely wouldnt collapse over losing turbotax or wahtever.

shimmy shimmy
Nov 13, 2020

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

They technically only have to offer a completely free state and federal return if you make under a certain amount. I'm guessing you made more than ~$50k last year. I believe everything has to be free if you made less than ~$50k and federal + some state returns (depends on the state) are free if you make under $73k. Anything above that and you won't qualify for free file for federal or state returns.

Intuit was sued because they were charging everyone to file state taxes, even if they qualified for free filing.

I absolutely did not make anywhere near that last year and was still charged for my state tax return in Michigan. They did do Federal for free, though.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

shimmy shimmy posted:

I absolutely did not make anywhere near that last year and was still charged for my state tax return in Michigan. They did do Federal for free, though.

I believe the actual policy was the distinction between what the preparing partner in the free file program said they offer versus what they actually offer. Intuit's been hit for a few different things, but principally for claiming "free" and then hiding it. FreeTaxUSA has historically done free federal, fee state iirc.

shimmy shimmy
Nov 13, 2020

Discendo Vox posted:

I believe the actual policy was the distinction between what the preparing partner in the free file program said they offer versus what they actually offer. Intuit's been hit for a few different things, but principally for claiming "free" and then hiding it. FreeTaxUSA has historically done free federal, fee state iirc.

Ah, thanks. That makes sense, although I wouldn't have minded recouping the $15 each year or so.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."
https://twitter.com/mjs_DC/status/1658577424613797888

I'm calling to report the Democratic Party for elder abuse.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.
There's a strong institutional impulse to maintain the status quo with established players like Feinstein, but it's just getting to be comical. There are limits. I don't think she'll last much longer. You can't just haul a vegetable out onto the Senate floor.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

cat botherer posted:

There's a strong institutional impulse to maintain the status quo with established players like Feinstein, but it's just getting to be comical. There are limits. I don't think she'll last much longer. You can't just haul a vegetable out onto the Senate floor.
To me it's bordering on abuse because she's been in this state for probably a year now, minimum, and there's no risk to her retiring since she will just get replaced by another Dem.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
The worst part is that it's always been like this. It's just that the complete breakdown of they old gentlemanly rules of the Senate and the ability of anyone to spread information to anyone is just finally making it clear. It's all but impossible for the media to collude in order to not talk about how a President literally can't walk or has a mind as useful as the jellybeans he loves. So now we're getting one of the first live streams of a Senator's complete deterioration.

I've been terminally online since the '90s, and it's still insane how much information sharing has changed just from Obama's first term. Social media, smart phones, and the simultaneous atomization/conglomeration of media changed the game massively. Didn't keep that hope, but we've certainly changed.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

lobster shirt posted:

intuit does a lot of stuff besides tax preparation - bookkeeping software, payroll services, email marketing, and personal finance software to name a few - so they definitely wouldnt collapse over losing turbotax or wahtever.

They've blown a lot of the goodwill they once had for their other products, like bookkeeping & payroll, by doing boneheaded stuff like announcing QB payroll was moving entirely online (turns out there's a workaround but it's going to cost a lot & you cannot order it through the website without going thru a sales rep).

Only when the Intuit forums posters were sharing links & experiences with other payroll & accounting programs did the Intuit reps explain how to get this instead of moving entirely online. I'd done a trial run with QBO to see if we could move payroll online & it was one clusterfuck after another, and that's leaving aside their marketing to get you to enroll in sponsored products like health insurance or 401(k)s.

There are too many competitors out there now for the sectors Intuit serves, and if Intuit continues to have horrendous customer service, non-user-friendly interfaces & extortion-level subscription pricing, they're bound to lose even legacy users who bought QBDT 10 years ago for $200 & who are now expected to pay that every month.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Boebert filing for divorce

https://gazette.com/politics/lauren-boebert-divorce-filing/article_cbfa149b-f7e1-5766-a881-b601f4c0d554.html

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

FlamingLiberal posted:

To me it's bordering on abuse because she's been in this state for probably a year now, minimum, and there's no risk to her retiring since she will just get replaced by another Dem.

She might get replaced by a Dem who actually wants to push for real climate change and healthcare initiatives though

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

I'm assuming one of the reasons that they are propping her up is that her presence is needed for judiciary appointments. Once they go on recess next she might *finally* retire and there be enough time to appoint someone and get staff to Washington.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Her husband found another 16 year old he liked more.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

Bel Shazar posted:

My sympathies for Ken Bone's family...

I know you're joking but Ken Bone is just a republican. Following him on Twitter was pretty eye opening. He's super chuddy but is pretty decent at obscuring it but the charade isn't that deep.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Twincityhacker posted:

I'm assuming one of the reasons that they are propping her up is that her presence is needed for judiciary appointments. Once they go on recess next she might *finally* retire and there be enough time to appoint someone and get staff to Washington.

They tried to gently push her out in 2018. It has been pretty clear for a long time that Feinstein doesn't want to resign or be forced out. Nobody can force a Senator to resign, so I think the focus on beating up her staff and other Senators for just not yelling at her at enough is kind of misguided when she has been clear for the last 12 years or so that she doesn't want to ever leave and especially doesn't want to resign in the middle of a term because she feels like it would be "losing" or tarnishing her legacy. You just have to have people run in the primary against her like they are now to make it so she isn't able to just coast. Feinstein is ultimately the one who doesn't want to leave and hasn't wanted to hear about it for over a decade. Even the press are weirdly deferential to her and don't aggressively ask her about it out of respect, but they will still ask around for anonymous quotes from other Senators about how they wish she would go away.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004

Feinstein is ultimately the one who doesn't want to leave and hasn't wanted to hear about it for over a decade.

I mean that's true to a point, but eventually the onus is on the mentally competent around her that allow it to continue. As another poster said, even if it was her original wish when she was 100% competent, it is now elder abuse.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Americans want to be governed by pudding-brained gerontocrats. Else they wouldn't keep electing them president.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Yawgmoft posted:

I mean that's true to a point, but eventually the onus is on the mentally competent around her that allow it to continue. As another poster said, even if it was her original wish when she was 100% competent, it is now elder abuse.

Yeah, but ultimately she is the only one who can make the decision. Everyone being weirdly deferential to her, while at the same time thinking that telling her staff to tell her to resign will be the thing that finally works, is just kind of weird to me. You have to pressure her out, but in 2018 you had tons of Democrats pass on a primary because they didn't want to primary the first female Senator from California and the most senior woman in politics, and those same people are giving anonymous quotes about how they really want her to go away and how annoyed they are that she has said she is never resigning for the last 15 years and ambitious California politicians are mad at her. At the same time, you have all the major female politicians defending her and being upset that people have been trying to gently force her out since 2012.

People kind of made their own bed about it by not getting into the primary or saying anything for 15 years and just hoping she goes away - while she has been saying she will never leave the whole time. It's like a mirror situation of the Republicans with Trump who constantly give anonymous quotes about how desperate they are for him to just go away, but nobody actually says they want him to go away in public or tries to do anything to stop him. Then, they act shocked that he decided to run again - even when that is exactly what he has been saying he would do for years.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Yeah, but ultimately she is the only one who can make the decision.

At what point does her mental decline make it so she cannot make decisions for herself in a legal capacity, and what happens then? Note that I do not know her mental state or capacity so I am not saying she as at that point. Is the rest of the Senate voting to kick her out the only option in that case?

celadon
Jan 2, 2023

How can your resignation hold weight if you aren't in control of your faculties? Like presumably theres a window where you realize you are deteriorating and can resign while defendably lucid, but if you blow waaaaaay past that point you aren't really able to speak on your own behalf, right? If she isn't aware of what state she is in, how can she be considered responsible for her own actions enough to formally resign?

Can someone in a coma resign?

e:f,b

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Lumpy posted:

At what point does her mental decline make it so she cannot make decisions for herself in a legal capacity, and what happens then? Note that I do not know her mental state or capacity so I am not saying she as at that point. Is the rest of the Senate voting to kick her out the only option in that case?

Yeah, expulsion is the only way to end a Senator's term before the election if they don't resign.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

celadon posted:

How can your resignation hold weight if you aren't in control of your faculties? Like presumably theres a window where you realize you are deteriorating and can resign while defendably lucid, but if you blow waaaaaay past that point you aren't really able to speak on your own behalf, right? If she isn't aware of what state she is in, how can she be considered responsible for her own actions enough to formally resign?

Can someone in a coma resign?

e:f,b

They actually had a Supreme Court case about something similar in 1906. It is still the law of the land. The question was whether Congress can pass a law that says someone can be convicted of a crime and imprisoned or otherwise forced out of office against their will/without their explicit consent via resignation.

Justice John Marshall Harlan:

quote:

A vacancy in the office of U.S. senator or representative can be created only by the incumbent's death or resignation, the expiration of his term, or some direct action of the body (either the House of Representatives or the Senate) that is authorized to expel a member.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.
Just like the perfect president is someone smart enough to hold a pen and no smarter, the perfect senator is someone too senile to be in control of themselves, but also still alive.

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

Nebraska just broke their own session rules (detailed earlier in this tweet thread) to pass a bill that combines an abortion ban and a trans care ban for youth.

https://twitter.com/ErinInTheMorn/status/1658642918977011713?s=20

They just aren't stopping. This Nazi poo poo is getting passed over and over. What the gently caress do you even do when they hate women and trans people so much that they just won't let it go and will break their own rules to pass this poo poo?

For a bit of good news though, Missouri surprisingly seems to have caved and canceled their adult care ban for trans people:

https://twitter.com/ErinInTheMorn/status/1658594397619879936?s=20

I'm just so loving tired though because poo poo feels so utterly hopeless

celadon
Jan 2, 2023

They actually had a Supreme Court case about something similar in 1906. It is still the law of the land. The question was whether Congress can pass a law that says someone can be convicted of a crime and imprisoned or otherwise forced out of office against their will/without their explicit consent via resignation.

Justice John Marshall Harlan:

Oh thats interesting. Slightly relatedly, if someone just sort of disappears, you'd imagine the same thing applies right? Like if RBG had just sort of wandered off into the woods, or was lost at sea, or had been ocean's eleven'ed out of the hospital and noone could find her, would there just be a state of legal ambiguity as to whether or not her place on the Supreme Court was open? Obviously there would have been huge pressures to expel her from the court going on but the idea of stalling for a couple months isn't totally insane, given the stakes.

The extreme agedness of the government opens up a lot of interesting legal angles to consider.

Especially if you combine the idea of proof of life with improvements in AI mimicry, you could get something going there.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

celadon posted:

Oh thats interesting. Slightly relatedly, if someone just sort of disappears, you'd imagine the same thing applies right? Like if RBG had just sort of wandered off into the woods, or was lost at sea, or had been ocean's eleven'ed out of the hospital and noone could find her, would there just be a state of legal ambiguity as to whether or not her place on the Supreme Court was open? Obviously there would have been huge pressures to expel her from the court going on but the idea of stalling for a couple months isn't totally insane, given the stakes.

The extreme agedness of the government opens up a lot of interesting legal angles to consider.

Especially if you combine the idea of proof of life with improvements in AI mimicry, you could get something going there.

In that situation, they would have to be expelled or be declared legally dead. It generally takes at least 7 years of disappearance before you can file to declare someone legally dead. But, if they went missing in a plane crash or some kind of other situation of "imminent peril" and they can't be found, then they can be declared legally dead shortly after. If someone just sort of wandered off with no trace and there was no evidence they were in danger, then they would have to impeach/expel them, wait for their term to expire (not applicable for Supreme Court), or wait 7 years.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 03:04 on May 17, 2023

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Yeah, but ultimately she is the only one who can make the decision. Everyone being weirdly deferential to her, while at the same time thinking that telling her staff to tell her to resign will be the thing that finally works, is just kind of weird to me. You have to pressure her out, but in 2018 you had tons of Democrats pass on a primary because they didn't want to primary the first female Senator from California and the most senior woman in politics, and those same people are giving anonymous quotes about how they really want her to go away and how annoyed they are that she has said she is never resigning for the last 15 years and ambitious California politicians are mad at her. At the same time, you have all the major female politicians defending her and being upset that people have been trying to gently force her out since 2012.

People kind of made their own bed about it by not getting into the primary or saying anything for 15 years and just hoping she goes away - while she has been saying she will never leave the whole time. It's like a mirror situation of the Republicans with Trump who constantly give anonymous quotes about how desperate they are for him to just go away, but nobody actually says they want him to go away in public or tries to do anything to stop him. Then, they act shocked that he decided to run again - even when that is exactly what he has been saying he would do for years.

I imagine she's extremely well-connected in California politics, and no one wants to be the one who risks pissing off her donors and backers. Especially given that California is a huge and highly-populated state that's notoriously difficult and expensive to run a statewide campaign in.

The reason none of the Republicans are willing to openly oppose Trump are because the base is solidly on Trump's side and will happily toss them out on their rear end if they dare to go against him. They may hate him, but the GOP primary voters love him, and the rest of the GOP needs those voters too.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Mustang posted:

In regards to Florida, there's also the question of what the long-term consequences will be for all of the culture war bills he's signed into law.

I'm curious how many people other than the most politically tuned in are even aware of the details of those laws. I've talked to some people here in WA and while they know who DeSantis is they don't know anything about all the laws he's been passing. But maybe that's just because WA is literally on the opposite side of the country from FL.

I'd imagine after DeSantis officially starts his campaign his opponents will start putting a lot more energy into attacking his record, the response from Democrats in particular seems pretty muted so far.

Well, Jacksonville was the largest city which still had an R mayor and after today, they don't.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

The E.U. has approved Microsoft's attempt to merge with Activision-Blizzard. This would be the largest consumer tech merger since the AOL-Time Warner merger in 2000.

The U.S. and U.K. regulators are still opposed and the FTC is still moving forward with a lawsuit. With E.U. approval, the largest hurdle outside of the U.S. has been cleared and the fate of the merger will likely be decided entirely by whatever happens in the U.S.

The E.U. decided to approve because the largest area of concern - cloud gaming - is an area that comprises a very small amount of the overall gaming market. However, the U.S. opposition is based on concerns that monopolistic power in this area may have a minimal impact now, but it could hurt innovation and competition going forward if that sector expands. They also argue that it will be more difficult to foster innovation and competition through a forced breakup if there are issues in the future than there is in just not allowing the merger right now.0

https://twitter.com/semafor/status/1658121591060848640

Google agrees.

That being said I can run Flight Simulator 2020 flawlessly on a $49 Android tablet with Microsoft's Cloud Gaming stuff.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

DynamicSloth posted:

https://twitter.com/mjs_DC/status/1658577424613797888

I'm calling to report the Democratic Party for elder abuse.

Doesn’t she have a family? I couldn’t stand to see my grandmother going around like that as a shell of her former self.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

VideoGameVet posted:

Well, Jacksonville was the largest city which still had an R mayor and after today, they don't.

Weird to have what appears to actually be a good person as mayor. Never thought such a day would come.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

I AM GRANDO posted:

Doesn’t she have a family? I couldn’t stand to see my grandmother going around like that as a shell of her former self.

I've had elderly family with dementia, and it can be incredibly difficult to convince them that they aren't as mentally capable as they once were. It's also very hard to convince someone to give up their independence and autonomy - especially as in the case of Feinstein, who is one of the richest members of Congress. She can afford just about any lifestyle she wants, and unless her family is willing and able to convince her to step down, she can find enablers who are more than happy to work for her.

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope
Been reading debt-ceiling news. Anyway to see this as not an eminent cave on the part of Biden? Negotiating on the "budget" is already kind of cavey, yeah?

This poo poo sucks.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

AKA Pseudonym posted:

Been reading debt-ceiling news. Anyway to see this as not an eminent cave on the part of Biden? Negotiating on the "budget" is already kind of cavey, yeah?

This poo poo sucks.

What news? I don't see anything new that's happened today, and the Biden administration continues to insist it's not negotiating on the budget.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

AKA Pseudonym posted:

This poo poo sucks.

You should take any debt ceiling news that's not explicitly cited to a person with a huge grain of salt.

A lot of what's out there seems like it's likely conservative operatives trying to make "caved" happen by just insisting that Biden's going to cave any minute or already has.

He might, because he sucks, but there's no real indicator so far that's happened.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

I AM GRANDO posted:

Isn't there a lot of power in being a Senator that naturally falls into the various support groups like staff and family?

Whenever someone asks a question like "how can her family or aids keep doing this to her", my cynical view is theres a lot of Senatorial associated benefits in that shambling near corpse staying in her seat and of course in modern America they're going to keep suckling on those years of power and influence.

I mean, for fucks sake, RGB through her own hubris is responsible for ACB being seated on the Supreme Court. Of course we're going to get an embarrassing Weekend at Bernie's situation with Feinstein.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

In that situation, they would have to be expelled or be declared legally dead. It generally takes at least 7 years of disappearance before you can file to declare someone legally dead. But, if they went missing in a plane crash or some kind of other situation of "imminent peril" and they can't be found, then they can be declared legally dead shortly after. If someone just sort of wandered off with no trace and there was no evidence they were in danger, then they would have to impeach/expel them, wait for their term to expire (not applicable for Supreme Court), or wait 7 years.

personally i feel that this principle was not properly applied to Harold Holt when the Deep Ones absconded with him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Google Jeb Bush posted:

personally i feel that this principle was not properly applied to Harold Holt when the Deep Ones absconded with him

Funny thing is the Australian political system explicitly works differently here, the ruling party is what's officially elected, not the individual candidate, hence the ridiculous amount of PM musical chairs for literally every Prime Minister's term since 2007 besides the last one.