Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

rex rabidorum vires posted:

At the end of the day I find it extremely funny that ESPN will likely get utterly creamed on TV ratings in their first season only surpassed by Apple and their tv deal with MLS.

Apple is actively promoting it AND got rid of all the stupid blackout restrictions. The ATV MLS deal should be the template for all streaming sports.

Let me pay 5-10$ bucks a month to watch my goddamn teams. I'll even pay individually. Idgaf. It'll be cheaper than me paying for DTVnow because I need MSG.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

ThinkTank posted:

Pittsbugh is one of the few American cities where you can tentatively say hockey is the second most popular sport.

Pittsburgh fans low key are the most fair-weather fans anywhere. In 3 years when they're going 24-58 the Penguins will be drawing crowds of about 4,000 and ratings competitive with tape delayed dog shows on ESPN14.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

At the end of the day I find it extremely funny that ESPN will likely get utterly creamed on TV ratings in their first season only surpassed by Apple and their tv deal with MLS.
You know how sometimes a company will buy out a competitor just to squash it? This has a similar feel

ESPN having a large chunk of the national broadcast rights means someone else doesn't

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

shyduck posted:

You know how sometimes a company will buy out a competitor just to squash it? This has a similar feel

ESPN having a large chunk of the national broadcast rights means someone else doesn't

yeah their push is not for the broadcasting market anyway
they want everyone on that sweet direct recurring revenue stream ESPN+

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

NHL playoff ratings were up for the first round and the report from the beginning of the year showing ratings were way down was completely out of context and wasn't comparing like for like. Ratings this year were up pretty much across the board on national broadcasts outside of when ESPN out them up against the NFL. Games outside of the NFL stuff were up. TNT was also up if you compare like for like (they had a bunch of blackout stuff on some games).

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

yeah their push is not for the broadcasting market anyway
they want everyone on that sweet direct recurring revenue stream ESPN+
Yeah I'll admit we have the Disney+/Hulu/ESPN+ bundle and those probably account for 90% of our TV watching. Not a bad deal for under $20/month for us. Having most of the NHL games on one app is great, although the problem is always with blackouts.

Up until last year we lived in central NJ, and we were blacked out virtually all Flyers/Rangers/Devils/Isles games. Thank goodness for alternate means

shyduck fucked around with this message at 18:52 on May 16, 2023

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
There’s gotta be something better to talk about than market sizes and TV numbers going into the conference finals.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

The Florida Panthers will win the Stanley Cup

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely
I think this Vegas / Dallas series will be an excellent one.. sizing up the teams it's hard to say that one roster is clearly better than the other in any area..

You might give Vegas an edge at forward if Jason Robertson continues to no-show the playoffs, but if he can return somewhat back to form it looks pretty even to me, although Dallas is more top-heavy to the Knights more balanced attack. I think the defense pairings are basically a saw off, although again I would say that Dallas has the best individual defenseman in the series whereas Vegas has better depth. At goaltender I'm sure everyone will give the advantage to the Stars, but the Knight's collection of 1B goaltenders have all shown fairly well at times and Oettinger was very shaky vs Seattle.. it's not so clear of an advantage in my eyes.. Both teams are also known to be good at both the power play and the penalty kill, so no clear special teams advantage to either. Both teams are well coached and disciplined, with the Knights being the least penalized team in the NHL and the Stars being just outside the top 5..

I don't know, it looks like one of those series that is going to be decided on who gets the bounce in the game that goes to OT. I expect a 7 game nail biter.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Hand Knit posted:

There’s gotta be something better to talk about than market sizes and TV numbers going into the conference finals.

This isn’t the loser thread, is the problem

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Oettinger is a lights out 4-0 vs. Vegas for his career. Will that mean anything coming up? Probably not

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

The city that has been one of the best tv draws for the NHL over the last decade plus? Yeah you totally get the understander of sports business award for today. Congrats :)

Yeah that's kind of my entire point smart rear end. When the Penguins were bad they almost got relocated. Now they are a huge draw due to their sustained success. But the teams in the finals now are doomed to be ratings losers and unpopular because...why? Because you don't want them to be popular? That's all it seems to boil down to.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Hand Knit posted:

Tbf the series don't even start until Thursday and Friday. It's a long wait.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Yeah that's kind of my entire point smart rear end. When the Penguins were bad they almost got relocated. Now they are a huge draw due to their sustained success. But the teams in the finals now are doomed to be ratings losers and unpopular because...why? Because you don't want them to be popular? That's all it seems to boil down to.

It’s the bigotry and human rights violations for me.

Dallas is cool I guess.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Jamwad Hilder posted:

The teams in the finals right now will be popular if they invest in the grassroots, turn all the kids watching hockey into kids playing hockey and ultimately into parents with kids playing hockey.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

AsInHowe posted:

The teams in the finals right now will be popular if they invest in the grassroots, turn all the kids watching hockey into kids playing hockey and ultimately into parents with kids playing hockey.

There's no time for that. It will be too hot for hockey in 40 years.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Hand Knit posted:

No. My highest priority is hockey becoming so popular across the continent that I am completely priced out of attending more than a couple of games in person per year.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Aphrodite posted:

There's no time for that. It will be too hot for hockey in 40 years.

They had a winter classic in Texas, I for one am convinced that the NHL could hold a hockey game in a volcano

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

eXXon posted:

No. My highest priority is hockey becoming so popular across the continent that I am completely priced out of attending more than a couple of games in person per year.

You aren't already? Mr. Moneybags over here.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

ops

uhhh go knights I guess

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.
I honestly want ties back. Keep the 5 minute OT, but no points for the loser. It would eliminate the lame playing for a point late in tie games, and teams skating around passing in circles all OT waiting for the perfect chance without losing possession.

Kupo!
Sep 14, 2009

Just follow me through this wall, I can show you things
no mortal eyes were meant
to see.

AsInHowe posted:

I can’t remember a Stars broadcast that doesn’t include plugs for their learn to play and skate programs (for kids and adults) and skills clinics. They’ve been beating that drum for a while now.

mst4k
Apr 18, 2003

budlitemolaram

I hate all these teams in the finals, especially the dallas stars. Being from SE OK the only way to watch hockey in my poo poo town in the 90s was Fox Sports unless it was playoff time and they showed every dallas stars game and I would always go for whatever team was playing against them. Ooooo OOoo it's the Dallas Stars.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

mst4k posted:

I hate all these teams in the finals, especially the dallas stars. Being from SE OK the only way to watch hockey in my poo poo town in the 90s was Fox Sports unless it was playoff time and they showed every dallas stars game and I would always go for whatever team was playing against them. Ooooo OOoo it's the Dallas Stars.

Wow, way to make the Stars seem cooler

Huggybear
Jun 17, 2005

I got the jimjams

mst4k posted:

I like Carolina and VGK. Been a fan of Vegas from the get go.

The only thing I don't like about the playoffs is that as the rounds finish there are fewer and fewer games with 1-2 day gaps between games and then finally maximum seven games left in the final and then no more hockey until the fall :(

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Huggybear posted:

I like Carolina and VGK. Been a fan of Vegas from the get go.

The only thing I don't like about the playoffs is that as the rounds finish there are fewer and fewer games with 1-2 day gaps between games and then finally maximum seven games left in the final and then no more hockey until the fall :(

Yeah the first round in hockey is my fave time of year sportswise.

Shame we got no real long OT games but that's only...SO FAR.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Kupo! posted:

I can’t remember a Stars broadcast that doesn’t include plugs for their learn to play and skate programs (for kids and adults) and skills clinics. They’ve been beating that drum for a while now.

And that's why they are doing well

Mr. Kite
Aug 28, 2004

SHUT UP AND PLAY HOCKEY

SilvergunSuperman posted:

Shame we got no real long OT games but that's only...SO FAR.
They are saving all the OTs for game 7 of the Finals. Should be fun.

There is no hockey today. Whose fault is this?

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Mr. Kite posted:

The Edmonton Oilers.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Contract every team that plays in a region where ponds freeze in winter imo

:confused: Why? All those cities would just get their teams back soon enough anyway.

deoju fucked around with this message at 03:06 on May 17, 2023

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Mr. Kite posted:

They are saving all the OTs for game 7 of the Finals. Should be fun.

This playoffs is entirely redeemed and then some if we get cup finals game 7 OT. We're closing in on 70 years since they last happened.

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.
No sweeps either. Been a while.

mst4k
Apr 18, 2003

budlitemolaram

Going for hockey town USA also known as Las Vegas!

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Let's go the Dallas Stars!

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

ThinkTank posted:

This playoffs is entirely redeemed and then some if we get cup finals game 7 OT. We're closing in on 70 years since they last happened.

The play is under review …

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

At what point is there an outcry against playoff whistles?

A penalty is a penalty, saying you don't want the refs to decide the game is just allowing the refs to decide the game a different way :catdrugs:

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

shyduck posted:

Up until last year we lived in central NJ

Lived in New Jersey….

Flyers fan on top of it….

You poor poor bastard I wouldn’t wish that combo on anyone.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

They're really leaning into "these numbers make no sense and no we're not going to explain the weighting" eh?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer