Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: MokBa)

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
the mainline story in this one truly sucks, though it’s barely worth consideration compared to everything else

it tries to combine the traditional games’ stiff story structure with botw’s minimalism and almost every plot beat suffers for it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Costco Meatballs
Oct 21, 2022

by Pragmatica
Oh, I found this game's equivalent to the Durian Farm.

the secret hot springs cave in sturnida basin in Hebra directly north of the lake Kinzie text on the map

Probably about 6 hearty truffles that heal to full and give extra hearts. Need to find a shrine nearby for warping now...

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
Regarding Hestu, entering Korok Grove and clearing the sidequest for saving the Great Deku Tree will cause him to move to that area, even if you haven’t met him anywhere else before.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Oh wow, just spotted Dinraal for the first time :stare: The compendium says it bears no ill will towards people, though, so I won't have to fight it, right?

...right? :ohdear:

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Rageaholic posted:

Oh wow, just spotted Dinraal for the first time :stare: The compendium says it bears no ill will towards people, though, so I won't have to fight it, right?

...right? :ohdear:

Since when has that stopped a video game character?

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Rand Brittain posted:

Getting better armor is significantly more meaningful to your survival than having more heart containers.

Rageaholic posted:

I've been selling gems and buying what armor I can but rupees have been not so plentiful so far :(

It's not just new armor, it's also upgrading what you've got. For example, one heart container is four more hit points. The starting set you can get at Lookout reduces damage by nine to start but upgrading all three pieces gives six more damage reduction.

That said, the game has a built-in system that prevents a lot of enemy attacks from being a OHKO if you're at full health, leaving you with one HP, or a quarter of a heart. If you see that happen to you there's a good chance the attack did more damage than you have health, so adding one or two hearts or a small increase in defense won't be enough to meaningfully impact the hits you can take before dying. Just remember to heal all the way to full, even if you have to stuff your face with uncooked stuff, and you'll be able to survive a bit easier until you can get a combination of both more defense and more health.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
The game takes the position that the healthiest food to eat raw is tomatoes.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Also gotta stay stocked up on faeries so being killed isn't really a problem so much as a warning.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Oxxidation posted:

the mainline story in this one truly sucks, though it’s barely worth consideration compared to everything else

it tries to combine the traditional games’ stiff story structure with botw’s minimalism and almost every plot beat suffers for it

I'm far from done, but it's extremely weird how the plot is beat for beat the exact same as BOTW's, to the extent that you'd think people would comment on it. Like, Sidon's getting premonitions from an ancestor about something bad that happened along time ago. No, not Mipha, another ancestor. The lands of Hyrule are littered with the remains of ancient robots. No, not Guardians, these are different robots. Speaking of which, what happened to the Guardians? Where are the Divine Beasts?

The length of the timeskip can only be like 5-10 years at most based on how people have aged, but it feels like a hundred years have passed in terms of what people remember. Whenever it gets mentioned that Zelda is missing, most characters are just like, "oh, y'haven't found her yet, huh?"

Also, several people remember Link seeing as he and Zelda, y'know, saved the world, but a lot of people speak to you as if they're meeting you for the first time. Lady, this is the second time I've saved Rito Village, give me a little credit.

Some individual plots are good and the way Nintendo gives even the smallest of players lovely bits of characterization and charm is, as always, stellar, but the story is just really bad. Still love the game, though.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

So... I gotta say I'm a little bit disappointed with this game. Don't get me wrong, it's definitely A Good Game, and I'll probably put in another 50 hours before I finish it, but to me, it just doesn't feel like Zelda.

I'm just not sure why they went all-in on Ultrahand. I know lots of people love this kind of thing, but it's such a specific mechanic and it's one that I just don't care for, as a rule. Never played Banjo Kazooie Nuts and Bolts, or Minecraft, or Terraria or Fortnite or basically any game that asks you to build stuff, I just don't find it to be that fun. And it's so all-encompassing a mechanic that every few minutes, I have to stop being Link and engage the "building stuff" side of my brain. It just feels like it drags everything to a screeching halt every time, especially because it feels so fiddly trying to get pieces to attach at just the right angle and spot. And honestly, Fuse would be a fine concept on its own, but not paired with Ultrahand. It's just too much fiddling around with weapons and rocks and sharp bits from your inventory ON TOP of all the fiddling around with boards and capsules.

Like I said, it's not a bad game at all, and I had a lot of fun doing the first dungeon earlier, which felt a lot more like what I wanted from a Zelda game, but yeah. Most of it just doesn't feel much like Zelda. Running through the open world is cool, exploration feels great, I love that they populated it with so many villagers, I just wish so many of the things that it asks me to do weren't sticking together some boards and a fan in the right combination.

Nyan Bread
Mar 17, 2006

Pirate Radar posted:

The game takes the position that the healthiest food to eat raw is tomatoes.

For the past weeks my Link's been on an iron diet of Mighty simmered banana-apple gruel. He'll soon be able to mine Zonaite with his bare fists.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

CapnAndy posted:

See, you say that, and now I find myself wondering, what if I glue a wing and some fans onto the bridle pull thing? Horse can't refuse to jump down if I levitate it over the hole.

I'm thinking stabilizer to make a plank over the hole, stone slab with some gizmo to slow it's descent, attached to a wooden plank over the hole which you make your house walk over with zl. Then when you are standing your horse on the stone slab, you shoot a fire arrow at the wood plank, destroying it and freeing the slab you're on to fall. Then another arrow to activate your slow fall zonai device that the thing you are standing on is attached to

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop
Enemy advice request: Any advice for dealing with the horrible red hands that come out of the ground? They have quite a bit of HP and seemingly respawn... There's a set that I have to fight to get somewhere so running by isn't an option

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Whatever piano they’re using for when you get a heart or stamina container is the lushest, juiciest piano I’ve ever heard

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
wooow boss flew away when i got it to 10% health lol

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

beer gas canister posted:

Enemy advice request: Any advice for dealing with the horrible red hands that come out of the ground? They have quite a bit of HP and seemingly respawn... There's a set that I have to fight to get somewhere so running by isn't an option

7-10 bomb arrows at the center of it before it even gets to you. Each hand has a separate health bar, so bomb arrows get all of them. If it grabs you, just load a save cause you’re cooked lol

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

beer gas canister posted:

bomb arrows and prayer. they’re basically a damage/endurance check

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

All right I changed my mind, this is the worst game ever, loving I did not need fire like likes in my life

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
Man, it is insane how much faster the depths are traversed when lit up

Apparently chasms can be in caves which is great because I've spent an hour looking for a specific one with no luck

Hawkperson posted:

Yiga clan’s evolution into mad max monster truck wrestling heel villains is one of the best parts of this stellar loving game even if I spent a really long time just looking up at that plane boss and going “how the gently caress do I do that??” I finally just autobuilt a hot air balloon and dived on him from above

Homing arrows.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
There's a quest in Faron where you need to repair a bridge from the shore to a ship. But every time I fix the bridge with Ultrahand, it immediately breaks again. What am I doing wrong? I've tried building my own bridge but the game doesn't recognize that as a proper solution.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
im doing the gerudo temple right now and this rules. i love pseudo-ancient-egyptian settings and light puzzles. this is not me being facetious im just a freak

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

Deki posted:

Apparently chasms can be in caves which is great because I've spent an hour looking for a specific one with no luck
Rito Village or east of the castle?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I’ve had more than once now where I thought I was just totally stuck because I completely forgot about ascend. I don’t use that ability nearly enough

Costco Meatballs
Oct 21, 2022

by Pragmatica
That sky Island that is reachable from the tower near rito village that has the rocket pachinko, there's two ponds with sluice gates, what is the solution there? I tried using recall and ultrahand to lift both at the same time but couldnt get it to work right.

Costco Meatballs
Oct 21, 2022

by Pragmatica

veni veni veni posted:

I’ve had more than once now where I thought I was just totally stuck because I completely forgot about ascend. I don’t use that ability nearly enough

I love just popping ascend as soon as I am done exploring a cave, usually after finding the bubulfrog, and just being amazed at where I've ended up, every time.

Fifteen of Many
Feb 23, 2006
I just

But

:sigh:

https://youtu.be/LBitThs2-Bg

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

For the first ever I just had to skip several pages of the Zelda thread. I’ve been playing this game with every spare moment since release and I feel like maybe I’ve done like, a third of it? I started off so slow and cautious and exploring every little thing but I had this constant FOMO feeling and now I’m just zipping around the map completing big content and uncovering the story and having a ball. Can’t wait until I feel comfortable going back to the slower exploration because I have barely touched the caves.

Greatest of all the time.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Costco Meatballs posted:

That sky Island that is reachable from the tower near rito village that has the rocket pachinko, there's two ponds with sluice gates, what is the solution there? I tried using recall and ultrahand to lift both at the same time but couldnt get it to work right.

If it's the one I'm remembering, you've basically got it. I didn't use Recall, just Ultrahand, the provided logs and the hooks on the arches to hold up the gates.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Blaziken386 posted:

im doing the gerudo temple right now and this rules. i love pseudo-ancient-egyptian settings and light puzzles. this is not me being facetious im just a freak

oh my god the boss loving rules

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I'm on the Zora path now, and running around carrying a spewing fire hydrant while reenacting Super Mario Sunshine on a sky island was not an experience I expected from this game :neckbeard:

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
WHAT THE gently caress WAS THAT
Phantom Ganon??

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
How often can you get dragon parts? Is it still a full day like last game?

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
My girlfriend reached a temple
https://twitter.com/Meganoip/status/1658682346252668929?t=rob4ftJ0gkPkZNd04oyWvg&s=19

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

I attached something to a sword I thought would make it deal more damage but instead it instantly vaporized a lyonel

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

This game has more bridge building than death stranding

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Blaziken386 posted:

Blaziken386 posted:

I know right? I was loving enthralled the entire time in there. Everything about the whole Gerudo branch of story was just aces the whole way through.

Nyan Bread
Mar 17, 2006

Blaziken386 posted:

Yep that entire fight with the lamp lover was so dynamic and exciting with how it scurried around the dark corners of the arena away from the lightning arrow, while the sand mushrooms kept spawning otherwordly horrors to crawl up your back, all the while it would try to snipe you with its proboscis beam from far away.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Cannot fuse a cucco to my shield. 0/10 game.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
preparing the in-flight meal
https://i.imgur.com/xnzt9KG.mp4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

YoshiOfYellow posted:

I know right? I was loving enthralled the entire time in there. Everything about the whole Gerudo branch of story was just aces the whole way through.

EVERY TIME GOING posted:

Yep that entire fight with the lamp lover was so dynamic and exciting with how it scurried around the dark corners of the arena away from the lightning arrow, while the sand mushrooms kept spawning otherwordly horrors to crawl up your back, all the while it would try to snipe you with its proboscis beam from far away.
its possibly because i've been seriously slacking on upgrading my armor (why did they not improve this from botw. this is the only bad thing about this game.) but this is the first zelda boss* in the series to game over me multiple times.

*well, main boss, at least. the gleeok field bosses in this game are still probably scarier. but they're optional.