Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT CODY CECI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
Everyone can keep their trash. Seattle already put together some sort of team with everyone's 3rd and 4th liners. They don't need all the trash too.

DancingMachine
Aug 12, 2004

He's a dancing machine!

Jhet posted:

Everyone can keep their trash. Seattle already put together some sort of team with everyone's 3rd and 4th liners. They don't need all the trash too.

Haha when the deal happens I'll know how happy to be based on how happy the fans of the opposing team in this thread are.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

DancingMachine posted:

Haha when the deal happens I'll know how happy to be based on how happy the fans of the opposing team in this thread are.

If I’m cursing Francis you can gauge it that way too. I do not have much confidence that he can put together a team that can do anything more than be middling long term.

Personally, I’m surprised they did as well as they did in the playoffs. I think it’s Dave Lowry’s fault that they actually played some defense in the playoffs and that made such a difference in Grubauer’s game.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

Jhet posted:

Just wait until you see the contract Vince Dunn is going to get. He’s over rated because he can kind of move the puck on the PP. Justin Schultz is much better and can get sheltered a bit the rest of the game. Dunn is a regular mess in the D zone and the only thing that keeps him not obviously terrible is Adam Larsson knowing that he’s going to need to make up for the mistakes.

Adam Larsson is extremely bad and the only thing keeping him afloat is being stapled to Dunn. At 5v5 Dunn was the 2nd best defensive scorer in the league with 42 points (200 minutes minimum played). Adjusting for rates and he's 4th best in the NHL with 1.62 pts/60. On a rate basis Schultz was 87th with just under 1 pt/60 5v5 in the regular season. During the regular season in all situations Dunn drops to 15th with 2 points per 60. Schultz moves up to 36th with 1.57. Schultz did have a much better playoffs....however he wasn't dragging the corpse of Larsson around.

You pay Dunn as close to 6 million per as you can for 7 or 8 years and then give him a partner that isn't a disaster and he'll be even better.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

rex rabidorum vires posted:

Adam Larsson is extremely bad and the only thing keeping him afloat is being stapled to Dunn. At 5v5 Dunn was the 2nd best defensive scorer in the league with 42 points (200 minutes minimum played). Adjusting for rates and he's 4th best in the NHL with 1.62 pts/60. On a rate basis Schultz was 87th with just under 1 pt/60 5v5 in the regular season. During the regular season in all situations Dunn drops to 15th with 2 points per 60. Schultz moves up to 36th with 1.57. Schultz did have a much better playoffs....however he wasn't dragging the corpse of Larsson around.

You pay Dunn as close to 6 million per as you can for 7 or 8 years and then give him a partner that isn't a disaster and he'll be even better.

Oh, his point totals are very decent. His defending is middling. I have issues with the later. When he breaks out normally, it goes okay most of the time, but he’s also constantly throwing it down to the opposite blue line which is more a problem of system than Dunn.

At least with Schultz he’s not being paraded out against top lines and going and getting out of position regularly. If they were to play Dunn against lower lines mostly it would be less of an issue for me.

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.
Congrats to the haters of the Arizona Coyotes. Early ballots show that the three propositions will all fail, and the Coyotes arena won't go through. https://elections.maricopa.gov/results-and-data/election-results.htm

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Pungry posted:

Congrats to the haters of the Arizona Coyotes. Early ballots show that the three propositions will all fail, and the Coyotes arena won't go through. https://elections.maricopa.gov/results-and-data/election-results.htm

https://twitter.com/wyshynski/status/1658671694079246337

AsInHowe posted:

By the way, this is the cover of the Sports Business Journal this week.

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.
good riddance to bad garbage (trash heap arena)

secret volcano lair
Oct 23, 2005

I feel bad for the fans but they basically have to move the team at this point, right?

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

secret volcano lair posted:

I feel bad for the fans but they basically have to move the team at this point, right?

Pretty much.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Adam Larsson and Vince Dunn were both awful last year. Both stepped up a bit, but Dunn turbocharged it. Dunn was a legit all star but Larsson still was kinda middling and was a big part why our penalty kill was so lovely (Dunn didn't play PKs).

Larsson was not good with the Oilers so I wouldn't expect him to be any better. Dunn absolutely has the higher ceiling here.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
They're gonna move the Coyotes to Houston to the dismay of everyone in Quebec who wants the Nordiques back.

Mr. Kite
Aug 28, 2004

SHUT UP AND PLAY HOCKEY
^^^^^Jesus christ I literally did not see you make the same joke.

Welcome Houston Coyotes.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Seattle's gonna sign Dunn to a big old deal and then watch him immediately turn into a gourd.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Jamwad Hilder posted:

They're gonna move the Coyotes to Houston to the dismay of everyone in Quebec who wants the Nordiques back.

Back to Winnipeg!

Winnipeg will have two teams now.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Florida could use a third team. The Jacksonville Coyotes has a nice ring to it.

Stiev Awt
Mar 20, 2007

Don't gently caress with trade unions.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

https://twitter.com/frank_seravalli/status/1658680074177073152?t=SQY2gPiFSGyJ1IUQV_PuPA&s=19

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
I actually don't really know what the potential locations for relocation even are. I feel like most of the major cities have a team. Houston, Quebec City, a second team in Toronto maybe? Trying Atlanta or Kansas City again? I doubt Milwaukee is on the table but I always felt like that could be a good spot for a team too.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Jamwad Hilder posted:

I actually don't really know what the potential locations for relocation even are. I feel like most of the major cities have a team. Houston, Quebec City, a second team in Toronto maybe? Trying Atlanta or Kansas City again? I doubt Milwaukee is on the table but I always felt like that could be a good spot for a team too.

The discussion has been locations that would fit in the Central division - Houston, Atlanta, Kansas City.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Atlanta in the Central would be a travel nightmare.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Jamwad Hilder posted:

The Utah Jazz owner expressed interest (in a tweet, so who the hell knows) in the NHL as well lol

Mr. Kite
Aug 28, 2004

SHUT UP AND PLAY HOCKEY
Largest media markets without and with NHL teams.

pre:
			New York (#1)
			Los Angeles (#2)
			Chicago (#3)
			Philadelphia (#4)
			Dallas-Fort Worth (#5)
Atlanta (#6)			
Houston (#7)			
			Washington, D.C. (#8)
			Boston (#9)
			San Francisco (#10)
			Phoenix (#11)
			Seattle (#12)
			Tampa (#13)
			Detroit (#14)
			Minneapolis (#15)
			Denver (#16)
Orlando (#17)			
			Miami (#18)
Cleveland (#19)			
Sacramento (#20)			
Charlotte (#21)			
Portland, OR (#22)			
			Raleigh (#23)
			St. Louis (#24)
Indianapolis (#25)			
			Pittsburgh (#26)
			Nashville (#27)
Baltimore (#28)			
Salt Lake City (#29)			
San Diego (#30)			
San Antonio (#31)			
			Columbus (#32)
Kansas City (#33)			
Hartford (#34)			
Austin (#35)			
Cincinnati (#36)			
Greenville (#37)			
Milwaukee (#38)			
West Palm Beach (#39)			
			Las Vegas (#40)
Jacksonville (#41)			
Grand Rapids (#42)			
Harrisburg (#43)			
Norfolk (#44)			
Birmingham (#45)			
Oklahoma City (#46)			
Greensboro (#47)			
Louisville (#48)			
Albuquerque (#49)			
New Orleans (#50)			
Providence (#51)			
Memphis (#52)			
Fresno (#53)			
			Buffalo (#54)
Houston because of its size and Milwaukee because of its hockey culture makes the most sense. And weren't the Houston Aeros popular for an AHL team?

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Holding out for Fresno

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I pre-ordered my Fresno Freeze tickets.

logo: an angry freezie blasting a 100 mph clapper

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

It's time for Atlanta Hockey 3.0

sedative
Mar 20, 2003

‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ :allears:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wiley,_Colorado

Jersey sales alone will make the move worth it

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.
I'm really loving sad about this. Having to go through the Sonics moving in 2008 was super hard as it came out of nowhere. The constant jokes and serious comments about people wanting the Coyotes to move forever was something I thought would make this news easier, but no, it still loving sucks.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Why are you only looking in the US and Canada?

Hear me out: Mexico City Coyotes

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat
Portland NHL team would rule. Then bring back the Sonic’s.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Move the Flyers to Quebec City, the Coyotes to Houston, and bring back the Whalers

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe
bring back Atlanta, move Detroit back to the west. Quebec also works

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.
You know what the world needs? Two NHL teams in San Jose.

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.
Biggest winner of all of this is the Leafs and their fans who no longer have to hear "oh but Auston Matthews will sign as a UFA in Arizona :D"

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Auston Matthews will sign as a UFA in Salt Lake City :D

darkwolf220
May 14, 2009

SOON :stare:

Coming out of long dormancy to say I'm done. I spent the better part of 20 years being a cheerleader for hockey in Arizona, but I can't anymore. Move them to Houston. The Kraken would never hurt me the way the 'yotes have. :krakken:

Mike Works
Feb 26, 2003
Auston Matthews has always dreamed of playing for the Fresno Frontenacs.

Wonderllama
Mar 15, 2003

anyone wanna andreyfuck?
coyotes to houston

buffalo to atlanta

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
Would Meruelo be willing to move the Yotes to a arena he doesn't control? He could sell but I don't think Fertitta has the cash to buy.