Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: ZShakespeare)

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

I don't know what someone who describes himself as a conservative thought was going to happen by proudly posting that in this thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Mad Hamish posted:

I don't know what someone who describes himself as a conservative thought was going to happen by proudly posting that in this thread.

I did that and I only got probated like 10 times. It’s easy if you learn and stop being the world’s largest dumbass.

Jam Band Death Cult
Feb 29, 2008

I'm Very Glad I'm Going To Be An Earl
For what it's worth, the John A Macdonald statue in downtown Montreal, the one that got toppled during the pandemic, was vastly unpopular from the start:

https://www.ledevoir.com/opinion/idees/581472/l-impopulaire-john-a-macdonald

Google Translate:

quote:

Just about every chronicler of the time took issue with the statue. In the Réveil of June 8, 1895, the editorialist Paul-Marc Sauvalle wrote: "We do not hesitate to say here, with the frankness that characterizes us, in this newspaper where we have the right to say everything, that we do not think it healthy and useful to choose for future generations Sir John Macdonald as the prototype of the citizen and statesman. »

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
A drunk racist?

And yet, prototype he was...

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I imagine it was the immoderation with which he took drink which drew such disapproval from Quebec, and not so much the other aspects.

Jam Band Death Cult
Feb 29, 2008

I'm Very Glad I'm Going To Be An Earl

PT6A posted:

I imagine it was the immoderation with which he took drink which drew such disapproval from Quebec, and not so much the other aspects.

Same article:

quote:

As the correspondent of L'Électeur explains, Mr. Foster made the speech for the occasion. "I am happy," he said, "to see the enthusiasm of Montrealers celebrating the memory of Sir John, esteemed and loved by everyone. The late leader was the friend of French Canadians."

"Not of the Métis!" said a voice in the crowd.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

War gives the right to the conquerors to impose any condition they please upon the vanquished.

TheKingofSprings posted:

How do you function like this

The internet is brilliant. Beautiful. It enchants us to the point of obsession. Some are true to their purpose though they are but shells, flesh and mind. One man lost his own ego, but lingered on as a troll. Others chase the charm of winning an argument, however elusive.

Once the lord of discourse banished topics too distasteful for adverting and all that stemmed from humanity. And men assumed a fleeting form. These are the roots of our world. Men are but props on the stage of life and no matter how tender, how exquisite, a lie remains a lie.

Young poster: knowing this, do you still desire peace?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

https://twitter.com/dril/status/1658526583018369024?s=21

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

McGavin posted:

Look like D&D got a new mod and nobody gave them the "DO NOT gently caress WITH CANPOL" talk again.

I mean it was only a matter of time before someone got decided revenge or something and slammed the report button. No harm no foul

crispyseaweed posted:

Since we are going there, I am also of Chinese descent and see yellow peril and red scare. Several politicians have been smeared with no charges laid and no evidence of wrongdoing, yet they had to withdraw from their own caucuses and receive death threats all the time thanks to some CSIS guy with a vendetta.

"Take a hard line on China and don't communicate with anyone from there, or else." What kind of democracy is that? Where's the debate? The diplomacy? Do you really want to cede communication, negotiations and diplomacy to people who have no understanding of the language, history and culture?

I had something written up for this before Judge slammed another home run and I lost it slamming the keyboard. Short version is that. I 100% agree that CSIS leaker is in the wrong and should probably go to jail. Regardless of how you feel, you don't get to overrule the democratically elected government on policy issues and if Trudeau wants to fire your report in the toilet, thats his prerogative. At the same time imo PRC/CCP != Chinese people so criticizing the former or being suspicious of them isn't cause to invoke yellow peril which would be casting suspicion over the latter due to actions of the former. PRC definitely doing shady things in Canada to the point where even the Libs can't help it and have to eject diplomats. That isn't yellow peril. Thats just trying to do what you can to defend yourself from a much more powerful foreign power that is fairly hostile at the moment.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
We just had two years of a million and a half dipshits squawking endlessly about Kung-flu and the scourge of the Chinese manufactured virus, along with the anti-Asian sentiment and abuse it generated, if there’s one thing that should’ve come out of all this for you it’s that the concepts of nuance, rationality and critical thinking are loving dead

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

TheKingofSprings posted:

the concepts of nuance, rationality and critical thinking are loving dead

That has been the end game for a while now.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
Canadians consistently shocked to discover that Canadians are racist

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Bleck posted:

Canadians consistently shocked to discover that Canadians are racist

Is there a country that’s not? It seems like a massive rainbow of racism out there

Not that that would particularly help the issue of “how to make the racism in Canada go away”

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

War gives the right to the conquerors to impose any condition they please upon the vanquished.
Countries are not anything but the individuals that reside within in aggregate. The issue here is not that Canada’s racism level is high, it’s that we allow the racism to be sanitized by the media as completely reasonable. Now it can shape our leaders policy of tethering our nation to the shambolic carcass of the American empire. We willingly plunge headlong into these final days rather than build something new and better because there is still some shareholder value to be rent from the bones of what could have been.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Once again a POC gets banned by the canpol thread (poster of Conservative)

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy
I'm not from another country so I'm going to be more critical of Canada than other similarly racist countries.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

eXXon posted:

Arivia challenge: defend that particular post. Level: Very Difficult

No thank you!

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
I mean, the probe reason was a step up from "arent you supposed to be nice"

Still stereotype bullshit but slow progress is being made.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer

ZShakespeare posted:

Countries are not anything but the individuals that reside within in aggregate. The issue here is not that Canada’s racism level is high, it’s that we allow the racism to be sanitized by the media as completely reasonable. Now it can shape our leaders policy of tethering our nation to the shambolic carcass of the American empire. We willingly plunge headlong into these final days rather than build something new and better because there is still some shareholder value to be rent from the bones of what could have been.

You are a poet

e: dang that noname gangtag is nice.

Charles Bukowski fucked around with this message at 00:33 on May 18, 2023

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Buildin that marrow equity

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I got gang tag jealousy now.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

The no name game tag always weirds me out because the no name meme always seemed like a marketing thing and loblaws blows.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Powershift posted:

The no name game tag always weirds me out because the no name meme always seemed like a marketing thing and loblaws blows.

as the person who came up with the idea, that was the joke

e: it was me and i think infernal machines. it was pretty simple internet poisoning irony meme with the idea being that it was canadian instead of something else.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

Powershift posted:

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Arivia posted:

as the person who came up with the idea, that was the joke

e: it was me and i think infernal machines. it was pretty simple internet poisoning irony meme with the idea being that it was canadian instead of something else.

It was absolutely ironic, and there is no such thing as irony on the internet

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Starting a competing Compliments gangtag to break the No Name monopoly

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Someone give me Irresistibles gang tag but you have to say it in a french accent

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

DaysBefore posted:

Starting a competing Compliments gangtag to break the No Name monopoly

Posting with Our Compliments.... :q:

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

COPE 27 posted:

Someone give me Irresistibles gang tag but you have to say it in a french accent

Les Irresistibles

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

COPE 27 posted:

Okay but it’s a seventy year old heavy smoking guy from trois-riveres who feels very strongly that Quebec isn’t racist it’s just laicite

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

eXXon posted:

Arivia challenge: defend that particular post. Level: Very Difficult

Why bother, it was an assholeish post. The probe is bad but the post sucked so :shrug:

Tippecanoe
Jan 26, 2011

Buy my Life Brand Gang Tag and get 5000 Optimum bonus points* for a limited time

kaom
Jan 20, 2007

But if we don’t defend our northern sovereignty the Americans will walk all over us :ohdear:

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

I feel like we haven't discussed what a miserable, smug little gently caress Galen Weston is recently.

He's a miserable, smug little gently caress and I hate him.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

If it's not from the laicité region of Quebec it's just sparkling racism.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

No Name gangtag was cute but Galen is pretty much outed as a horrible piece of poo poo.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

What're you gonna do, buy President's Choice instead?

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Hell, if it's good enough for the President who am I to argue

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I mainly shop at Safeway which for some reason has really good prices. :3: For big shops I do Costco. And for small things and little runs I hit up Wal-Mart (cat litter + food is best priced there). Sometimes I hit up FreshCo if I am in the area. The No Thrills near me are all pretty poo poo.

Sobeys and Superstore are just so ridiculously priced with a lot of stuff. Save On is the most expensive though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

I don't drive (death to cars) and don't feel like making grocery trips a five hour experience with our lovely buses so I just take one bus to the nearby Sobeys and buy everything, then top up what I need inbetween big trips at the Lawtons down the street. Very expensive which is ftl especially since I just got told my contract isn't being extended. Might have to start paying attention to the flyers again and submit myself to transit hell.

By the way what tf happened to the coupons. where are they? Old ladies across the country going unfilfilled because the weekly flyers no longer feature coupons for them to clip. hellworld indeed.....