Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

The thing that blows me away is finding out a bunch of people actually still 100% believed that the PvE was actually still being worked on and might be made right up to the official announcement. I thought everyone knew that was dead and gone like, four years ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Seems kinda silly to do anything with a roster of iconic characters.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
I want to know how long ago they cancelled it because they haven't said a fuckin peep about pve since, what, mid-2022? I think the last time they were saying anything about it at all was around the launch of OW2 when they said PVE was still in the works, albeit they'd said basically nothing about it before that either.

Whitenoise Poster posted:

The thing that blows me away is finding out a bunch of people actually still 100% believed that the PvE was actually still being worked on and might be made right up to the official announcement. I thought everyone knew that was dead and gone like, four years ago.

at least publicly they were saying it was still on back in october

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 04:16 on May 17, 2023

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Wheeee posted:

tf2 has more character than ow ever will

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l62OY19rZ7k

Man, I remember the Meet the Pyro video being one of the most anticipated of the series before it came out and it didn't disappoint.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

appropriatemetaphor posted:

Seems kinda silly to do anything with a roster of iconic characters.

it's legit incredible, like, from a purely corporate greed standpoint you'd think they'd have shoveled something out by now but ActiBlizz isn't even *good at corporate greed*

Nae
Sep 3, 2020

what.

BabyRyoga posted:

So one or both of two things must be true:

1) The devs are incompetent gently caress-ups.
2) The big bosses want to pull more money out of the game by cutting production and relying more on low-effort micro transactions.

I'm probably leaning towards both, seeing how the first 4 seasons went. This might be one of the biggest squanders in gaming history, but if any part of 2 is true, it won't even be hailed as such. It's a loss all around.

There’s a 3) and that’s the game lost too many devs between the huge sexual harassment issues, renegging on WFH, and putting every free man on Diablo 4. It doesn’t matter how good the remaining devs are when there’s only a handful left, and it’s pretty clear the ones left aren’t the best by any stretch.

1) and 2) are also both likely true but the sheer scope of the brain-drain that hit blizz can’t be underestimated.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Nae posted:

There’s a 3) and that’s the game lost too many devs between the huge sexual harassment issues, renegging on WFH, and putting every free man on Diablo 4. It doesn’t matter how good the remaining devs are when there’s only a handful left, and it’s pretty clear the ones left aren’t the best by any stretch.

1) and 2) are also both likely true but the sheer scope of the brain-drain that hit blizz can’t be underestimated.

I'm sure even with the sexual harassment issues, there are thousands of qualified, more than talented individuals who would jump through hoops to reach the goal of working either at Blizzard as a company, or on OW as a project. Them being short-handed on the dev team is mostly an alternative way of saying both 1 and 2 because it probably means some combination of work load mismanagement, and budget/resource cuts.

Let's just agree that there likely numerous issues coming in from all directions.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Herstory Begins Now posted:

that one WoW dude on twitter mentioning that he was having to triage development to determine what they could and couldn't ship a month or so ago leads me to believe that they probably were trying to get it out the door, but enough talent and money had been stripped by now to force them to focus development on the part of the game that's actively making money versus the part that could, in theory, be making money in the future

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Always remember, the way to make the most money on a game is to pour the least amount of resources into it while maintaining something that is playable enough that people will want to blow money on microtransactions in it.

Gaming these days is very much "Make the best game" vs "Make the most money". This is destroying a lot of western AAA studios mostly, but it has affected ones like Konami as well.

Dick Jones
Jun 20, 2002

Number 2 Guy at OCP

Nae posted:

It’s pretty sweet that the only story content we’ll have gotten out of this game in its entire history is the one blackwatch mission where Reaper is supposed to arrest a guy but then shrugs and shotguns him in the face. That’s the Overwatch I love.

Don't forget that other mission where they chased Maximillien through a rum distillery and then caught him and demanded an introduction to some mysterious person (Ramattra?).

Or the mission from Tracer's cadet days where they blew a hole in a door with one of Torb's IEDs and took out some OR-14s.

I was a believer back when I saw that demo level set in Rio where they infiltrated a factory ship and fought an omnic boss. Earlier this year when Blizzard issued that stupid return to office rule and people started leaving is when the doubt really began to creep in.

Now instead of PvE, I anxiously await the Crowbcat video about this whole debacle.

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

Herstory Begins Now posted:

I guess a lot of people somehow still unreasonably optimistic about the video games industry despite how it's been going the last like, ten years.

So hopefully this is a wake up call that no matter how low you set the bar for the industry, how cynical you think you already are, you are not cynical enough, the bar needs to be set far lower. Blizzard and other companies aren't human beings, they are lie demons. If they tell you the sky is blue you go and double check. Everything is a vaporware scam until the exact second it's in your hands and even then it could just disappear at any second.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
^ eh it's a cancelled game, who really cares. i don't see how it's some kind of like betrayal or penultimate example of corporations being scumsuckers or whatever other melodramatic narrative gets applied to it. it sucks if you were looking forward to maybe playing pve someday, but otherwise w/e it's a cancelled game mode.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

i've been pretty cynical regarding blizzard for a long time and i still believed they were actually working on the pve, just that it would be disappointing and underwhelming, not entirely nonexistent

this is just so stupid, ow2 has no future, their astroturfed esports scene is dying/dead and the pve was the dangling carrot that kept a large segment of the casuals around

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

So with that being said, where do we get that sweet lore from now, since even the source is FUBAR

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

widespread posted:

So with that being said, where do we get that sweet lore from now, since even the source is FUBAR

https://twitter.com/i/status/1223619044726771712

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

We're still getting SOME pve. it's just almost certainly going to be gated behind the battlepass, and be less good than Blackwatch, which is pretty much the high water mark of Blizzard giving a poo poo about the setting/trying interesting things.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I guess a lot of people somehow still unreasonably optimistic about the video games industry despite how it's been going the last like, ten years.

So hopefully this is a wake up call that no matter how low you set the bar for the industry, how cynical you think you already are, you are not cynical enough, the bar needs to be set far lower. Blizzard and other companies aren't human beings, they are lie demons. If they tell you the sky is blue you go and double check. Everything is a vaporware scam until the exact second it's in your hands and even then it could just disappear at any second.
nah plenty of game devs are decent people capable of putting out a good product, blizzard specifically just sucks rear end

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

AAA industry is absolutely completely in the gutter right now. It's all poo poo as far as the eye can see.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

widespread posted:

quote:

“Torbjorn! My swedish little cuck.” Reinhardt boomed.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Jack Trades posted:

AAA industry is absolutely completely in the gutter right now. It's all poo poo as far as the eye can see.

oh i mean yeah but thats the western AAA industry, no surprises there

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy
Lore for live service games are always kind of weak anyways. It virtually almost never ties into what you're playing, so kinda like what's the point?

The cinematics were dope but besides that like, none of it affected the day-to-day game we played. (I feel similarly about Apex Legends, another live-service game that churns out 'lore' occasionally)

So when I heard about a PvE campaign, it seemed to make sense. Basically a way to make use of all that build up they had and actually turn it into something tangible. Tangible for the fans as story content and tangible for Blizzard as cash. Guess not lol.

The REAL Goobusters posted:

People keep saying this but it has never come true. All you have are cinematics. CoD games actually have campaigns with interesting lore and setup.

Ironically, when I read the quoted post, I thought the same thing. Overwatch has excellent quality 3-minute short films, but that's kinda it. CoD, while sometimes derivative or predictable, basically plays out like a netflix movie/show.

That being said, if OW2 PvE had come to pass, maybe it would have actually given us a more interesting story to work with, and my opinion of OW lore would have changed.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

going by WoW and what little writing is available for overwatch i doubt the story for PVE mode would have been any good but it doesnt really need to be good, it just needs to exist

Akumos
Sep 10, 2006
Jeff 100% left because he saw this coming or felt the pressure of it being delayed

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Revitalized posted:

Lore for live service games are always kind of weak anyways. It virtually almost never ties into what you're playing, so kinda like what's the point?

I still have incredibly fond feelings for the story they created for Warframe over the years. It fell a bit flat in some of the recent development but a lot of it still have some incredible twists and great emotional moments.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

BabyRyoga posted:

I'm sure even with the sexual harassment issues, there are thousands of qualified, more than talented individuals who would jump through hoops to reach the goal of working either at Blizzard as a company, or on OW as a project.
I don't really keep up with gaming news any more, but is that true any more? It's a genuine question because my general impression is the company's reputation is in the gutter, both as a place to work and for the actual games they release (or don't, in this case).

Plus doesn't it pay less than the industry average?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Now that I think about it.
It's pretty funny how the announcement of PvE cancellation came less than 24 hours after the announcement that EU has greenlit the Microsoft-Activision acquisition.

I love corporate consolidation of power.

sube
Nov 7, 2022

Curious if OW will even deliver the event/mission PvE they are still promising now. What a waste

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

Zephro posted:

I don't really keep up with gaming news any more, but is that true any more? It's a genuine question because my general impression is the company's reputation is in the gutter, both as a place to work and for the actual games they release (or don't, in this case).

Plus doesn't it pay less than the industry average?

IDK on one hand they no doubt still have thousands of decent to great programmers out there that grew up on WoW and still dream of making games

on the other said programmers are probably 30+ by now and have actual work experience other places and would laffo at Blizzard contracts, not like Blizzard has done a great job of courting recent graduates. those are all getting lured into poo poo contracts by Riot or Epic instead

Hyzenth1ay
Oct 24, 2008

buglord posted:

PVE was the one thing I was counting on to get me back into overwatch 2 because I don’t have the skills or temperament for PVP lol.

Rest in pisssss

Same

I’m old as fire and can’t play this stuff competitively. I like the pretty maps and cool characters. I wanted pve but now I can continue to not play I guess

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

This has all been incredibly predictable. All that remains now is for the court cases by the teams/franchises to kill OWL once and for all. It's funny to look back at how happy DPS players were on release. There's a consolation prize though; they could just go play any of the hundreds of FPS games that don't have healers or tanks. They always existed.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Jack Trades posted:

I still have incredibly fond feelings for the story they created for Warframe over the years. It fell a bit flat in some of the recent development but a lot of it still have some incredible twists and great emotional moments.

I know basically nothing about Warframe but I've heard We All Lift Together and that on its own is miles ahead of anything the Overwatch story has done.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Overwatch came out of a failed attempt at a PvE MMO, it's funny that they tried that again.

Disargeria
May 6, 2010

All Good Things are Wild and Free!
Overwatch 2: Overwatch too?!

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Insurrectionist posted:

IDK on one hand they no doubt still have thousands of decent to great programmers out there that grew up on WoW and still dream of making games

on the other said programmers are probably 30+ by now and have actual work experience other places and would laffo at Blizzard contracts, not like Blizzard has done a great job of courting recent graduates. those are all getting lured into poo poo contracts by Riot or Epic instead

Yeah, i've been working in games for a long time now and I don't know a single programmer who wants to work at blizzard.

The artists and animators still do, so I guess they have that going for them?

hello internet
Sep 13, 2004

I bet they already exceeded monetary expectations for the entire scope of OW2 and figured continuing to invest significant time and money into it was a waste.

Disargeria
May 6, 2010

All Good Things are Wild and Free!
Overwatch 2 recipe card:

Subtract:
-1 player from each side
-loot boxes
-maps??

Add:
+battle pass
+literally a hat
+some heroes and maps that would have been released in the amount of time it took anyway

Bake for 5 years, garnish with a fart

You’ll notice that this recipe is similar to another favorite Blizzard recipe called Heroes of the Storm (with the unique twist of removing loot boxes instead of adding them), but astute chefs will notice the throwback to WC3 just straight up deleting a previous game and some of its features!

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

I don't really care about pve unless it has some a sweaty ladder/deep progression, that said, some kind of riff on deep rock galactic with the omnic wars would be fun.

I know that a lot of people made the decision to pay for some battle passes or the early access to check out OW2, but would not have made that decision without the promise of PVE coming. Seems like it could be a calculated lie.

headcase fucked around with this message at 14:12 on May 17, 2023

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

BabyRyoga posted:

So one or both of two things must be true:

1) The devs are incompetent gently caress-ups.
2) The big bosses want to pull more money out of the game by cutting production and relying more on low-effort micro transactions.

I'm probably leaning towards both, seeing how the first 4 seasons went. This might be one of the biggest squanders in gaming history, but if any part of 2 is true, it won't even be hailed as such. It's a loss all around.

The devs are definitely gently caress ups going all the way back to OW1 balancing. As in, they literally could never figure it out. Their solution? Make the game 5v5?

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
I think the idea of the PVE, and it has become clear now that it was at best an idea, was that it'd be a co-op left 4 dead style thing with a bit more depth to the bosses and such and then skill trees for the heroes that'd let you get really nuts upgrades and changes to their playstyle, probably somewhat to make the more selfish characters work better in a 4 player co-op setting.

It's easy to see a world where, with competent development and if it'd come out in a timely fashion when Overwatch was huge, that'd have been a phenomenon. People still play horde game modes even years after they've stopped supporting the game so something like that could have had people playing for years. From a cynical pov it'd have been a vector for selling skins as well.

Even the launch of OW2 seemed to give it a bit of a shot in the arm so it wasn't too late even at that point.

thebardyspoon fucked around with this message at 13:46 on May 17, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

The REAL Goobusters posted:

The devs are definitely gently caress ups going all the way back to OW1 balancing. As in, they literally could never figure it out. Their solution? Make the game 5v5?

TBH I just think there are core problems with the design of Overwatch that make it fundamentally unbalanceable. It’s like if DOTA didn’t have items.

I think it might have stood a chance had they been a bit more careful in the design of new heroes, and had they not tried to ruthlessly follow the esports golden goose.