Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
It turns out that when Malon made that comment about obeying Ingo under threat of him mistreating horses she was actually only talking about Epona, so when Link stole Epona she was free to kick Ingo's rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Open up your Dethday present
It's a box of fucking nothing

Exciting Lemon

FrenzyTheKillbot posted:

Jeez, speedrunners are something else, man

Now that it's not a spoiler that time travel happens, it's much easier as adult. You just align with the pillar to the left, lock the camera with Z, walk into the corner and jumpslash twice and you go through the wall. Try it out when you get there, it's super easy (and it'd be interesting to see how your co-hosts would react (and at this point it doesn't actually skip anything))

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle

20 - The Forest Temple

Link must investigate the haunted Forest Temple to break the curse and save Saria!

Man with Hat posted:

Now that it's not a spoiler that time travel happens, it's much easier as adult. You just align with the pillar to the left, lock the camera with Z, walk into the corner and jumpslash twice and you go through the wall. Try it out when you get there, it's super easy (and it'd be interesting to see how your co-hosts would react (and at this point it doesn't actually skip anything))

That is pretty cool, but I'm unlikely to include it. Just not the experience I'm going for.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I know the Water Temple is the popular one to hate on but I genuinely think I hated the Forest Temple when I first played the game. I got lost all the time.

fatsleepycat
Oct 2, 2021
You can cancel a nocked arrow without shooting it by swinging your sword or I believe pulling out another C-button item like the hookshot. Activating the shield might work but I've never tried.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

fatsleepycat posted:

You can cancel a nocked arrow without shooting it by swinging your sword or I believe pulling out another C-button item like the hookshot. Activating the shield might work but I've never tried.
Yeah, IIRC all of these work. I think going into first-person mode using C-Up works as well. Though I don't really remember how the game felt on an actual N64 controller well enough to say how comfortable or convenient any of those choices are.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

TwoPair posted:

I know the Water Temple is the popular one to hate on but I genuinely think I hated the Forest Temple when I first played the game. I got lost all the time.

Yeah, I think it's at least as confusing as the Water Temple. WT is fine as long as you don't miss that one key but I somehow always get messed up in the Forest Temple. And the music is creepy as heck.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

TwoPair posted:

I still get lost in it all the time, and the music is the creepiest in the game.

These 18+ dungeons are a lot tougher

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Forest Temple is a bit rough for an introduction to how grownup Link dungeons compare to child Link dungeons, yeah. I think Fire Temple is a better intro grownup dungeon even though it's longer and in some ways more complicated.

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep

sebzilla posted:

Yeah, I think it's at least as confusing as the Water Temple. WT is fine as long as you don't miss that one key but I somehow always get messed up in the Forest Temple. And the music is creepy as heck.

davidspackage posted:

I still get lost in it all the time, and the music is the creepiest in the game.

These 18+ dungeons are a lot tougher

I guess I'm the odd one out as someone who's always loved the Forest Temple and the music. I think it's chill, if a bit strange. I don't really get lost in it anymore, but randomizer runs will do that to you. I don't really mind getting lost in it anyways, I probably like it so much just because the aesthetic is my jam.

I honestly don't know which is my least favorite, but I know I'm never excited to do Jabu Jabu for some reason. Water is tedious at times, but I don't hate it.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
It's worth pointing out that the deku nuts are great at stunning stalfos and the poes both. That's why the stalfos drop them so regularly.

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle

fatsleepycat posted:

Commander Keene posted:

Yeah, IIRC all of these work. I think going into first-person mode using C-Up works as well. Though I don't really remember how the game felt on an actual N64 controller well enough to say how comfortable or convenient any of those choices are.

Most of those buttons all use the same thumb, so if it's holding down a C button it makes it hard to do anything else. I'll try the shield though, next time I'm in that position.

TwoPair posted:

sebzilla posted:

I think "tedious" really is the right word for the Water Temple. I complain about the one room in the Forest Temple with the blocks and switches, but just trying to get around the Water Temple even when you know where you're going can drive you crazy.

DoubleNegative posted:

It's worth pointing out that the deku nuts are great at stunning stalfos and the poes both. That's why the stalfos drop them so regularly.

drat it! I swear I tested to see if deku nuts did anything to them and it didn't. I'm probably confusing them with some other enemy because they're so hit or miss.

fatsleepycat
Oct 2, 2021

FrenzyTheKillbot posted:

drat it! I swear I tested to see if deku nuts did anything to them and it didn't. I'm probably confusing them with some other enemy because they're so hit or miss.

Stalfos can block the nuts with their shields, but they do work if you manage to get the aim/timing right. I've used them a bunch against Stalfos in Ganon's tower.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

As bad as the redeads were between the wall masters and the weird music kid-me was absolutely terrified of the forest temple. Even a later dungeon didn't do as much as the forest temple.

Also the wall masters should have been called ceiling masters right? They're on the ceiling.

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

I think they originated in 2d games, where they came out of the walls. They adjusted the gimmick for 3d but didn't change the name.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Yeah, the original wallmasters came out of walls in Zelda 1, in LTTP they did the "shadow descending from the ceiling thing".

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

The ceiling is a wall for the top of the room if you think about it. :eng101:

smax
Nov 9, 2009

Gotta master climbing those walls to get to the ceiling.

Taps head.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

The ceiling is a wall for the top of the room if you think about it. :eng101:

For this specific room, this is even more right than usual if you think about it.

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle

Mr. Baps posted:

I think they originated in 2d games, where they came out of the walls. They adjusted the gimmick for 3d but didn't change the name.

I have wondered about the name before and this makes a whole lot of sense. Cool.

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle

21 - Phantom Ganon

Link completes his exorcism of the Forest Temple and awakens the Forest Sage.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Oh thaaaat explains why Link never talks. It's because he's a Disney princess and has to sing.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I've been waiting for the payoff on "Link is 300 years old" for a while now :allears:

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

The "oh no I am defeated" animations for Phantom Ganon and Ingo are weirdly similar. Hands on head and flail about.

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle

22 - If I Could Turn Back Time

Link discovers a new ability and gets back to some unfinished business.

sebzilla posted:

The "oh no I am defeated" animations for Phantom Ganon and Ingo are weirdly similar. Hands on head and flail about.

Huh, I've never noticed but you're totally right. And actually now that I'm thinking about it, the characters in Mario Party had a similar animation when you lose minigames and stuff.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

I'm pretty sure you can just use the boomerang to get the heart piece outside Zora's Domain.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Yeah, that's what I did in my most recent playthrough, because gently caress carting one of those stupid chickens across the entire map to get it "early".

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle

DMorbid posted:

I'm pretty sure you can just use the boomerang to get the heart piece outside Zora's Domain.

Commander Keene posted:

Yeah, that's what I did in my most recent playthrough, because gently caress carting one of those stupid chickens across the entire map to get it "early".

Is this how I'm going to learn that Pieces of Heart can be grabbed with the boomerang/hookshot? I don't think that's something I know.

smax
Nov 9, 2009

If I remember right, the boomerang works but the hookshot doesn’t.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

smax posted:

Well drat, I learned something today

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

smax posted:

That's how I remember it too.

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle

23 - Questionable Craftsmanship

Link ascends the wildly fiery Death Mountain to check on Darunia and the Gorons.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I think the Bolero of Fire is still probably my favorite OoT song

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
I'm so used to hearing the 1.0 Fire Temple music that I don't recognize what's playing in the Fire Temple whatsoever. It sounds like music from a later dungeon just chopped up.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

DoubleNegative posted:

It sounds like music from a later dungeon just chopped up.
I believe that's exactly what it is.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

TwoPair posted:

The Gerudo Valley Spanish guitar is mine. Though if you're just talking about the Ocarina songs, I'd have to say I never really thought about them as pieces of music, just as game mechanics.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Commander Keene posted:

The Gerudo Valley Spanish guitar is mine. Though if you're just talking about the Ocarina songs, I'd have to say I never really thought about them as pieces of music, just as game mechanics.

Yeah I meant between ocarina songs. Specifically out of the warp songs since those are a little longer and bring Sheik's harp into the mix instead of the little the earlier stuff like Zelda's lullaby/the song of storms/etc.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

TwoPair posted:

Some interesting stuff here about the creative challenges of writing 12 distinct and memorable tunes with only 5 notes: https://youtu.be/_SeY_Gss2CY

(mild spoilers for a couple of songs/temple names we haven't encountered yet)

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle

DoubleNegative posted:

I'm so used to hearing the 1.0 Fire Temple music that I don't recognize what's playing in the Fire Temple whatsoever. It sounds like music from a later dungeon just chopped up.

Wait what do you mean the 1.0 Fire Temple music? Is there supposed to be different music in there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I mostly just wondered what the hell a bolero was.