Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: sharknado slashfic)

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

all that guy does is seemingly harass congressional staffers but he did get the last meeting date first so maybe he's got something else up his sleeves here

I'll take anything at this point, I'm desperate for a hit of that space juice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

"Principle Investigator" is a title that designates that person as someone who is able to apply for funding and to run scientific projects. It's not rare or unusual by any means, I'm a PI and I bet a number of professional science goons are also.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?
https://twitter.com/MIT/status/1658488801742946309

https://www.media.mit.edu/projects/sleep-creativity/overview/

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

all that guy does is seemingly harass congressional staffers but he did get the last meeting date first so maybe he's got something else up his sleeves here

I'll take anything at this point, I'm desperate for a hit of that space juice

Honestly if you hung out at the right bars in DC you could probably find out relatively mundane info like dates of closed hearings

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

When people start talking about "amnesty for the secret keepers" I do wonder how far that goes

like how many lives were ruined/ended to keep poo poo like bacteria a secret for a couple extra decades

I say we promise amnesty and then yank it out of reach after everything is said and done.

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Tighclops posted:

I'm convinced the viking landers' labeled release experiments detected microbial life on mars in the 70s and this discovery and it's implications were suppressed for political reasons

my biology professor implied as much during the first lecture of the first semester of general biology lol

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

the only angle on that I can take is that scientific endeavors at least since the time of the Manhattan Project have been large and complicated enough that they involve many people, most of them scientists.

you're talking about a dozen scientists or more all either being coerced or otherwise agreeing to keep quiet about the biggest scientific discovery in human history. it's just too many people to expect it not to leak, in that specific context.

even Dulles couldn't hide the JFK shot forever, but George HW Bush didn't go around talking about that, either.

disclaimer: I do believe Mars has had ancient microbial life, at the very least. one or two billion years ago it might have been a pretty interesting place, with flowing water and possibly an atmosphere of some note. I would be mildly surprised but not flabbergasted to find that some trace microbes have managed to survive on whatever meager poo poo is in that soil, despite being pounded by radiation.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

The Chinese space agency recently found evidence for liquid water on the martian surface as little as 150,000 years ago

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
Our own solar system is probably teeming with life and we've all been lied to about it so that a) nobody has to fund mars missions and b) because a bunch of evangelicals are scared that knowledge would make people question too many things

People think Mars is a dead world for the same reasons they think covid is over lmao lol

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Tighclops posted:

Our own solar system is probably teeming with life and we've all been lied to about it so that a) nobody has to fund mars missions and b) because a bunch of evangelicals are scared that knowledge would make people question too many things

People think Mars is a dead world for the same reasons they think covid is over lmao lol

It's a very interesting evolution, since as recently as the 70s the popular science fiction image of both Mars and Venus was that they were full of life. They really pushed the dead world stuff hard as hell.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Tighclops posted:

Don't forget venus

And Europa

And probably a few other moons

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Azathoth posted:

It's a very interesting evolution, since as recently as the 70s the popular science fiction image of both Mars and Venus was that they were full of life. They really pushed the dead world stuff hard as hell.

Last night I was watching some grainy film documentary on the Viking missions made before they launched, and one of the scientists was talking about expecting to find brine, water kept liquid by it's salt content. loving 40 years later they've found that poo poo dripping down the sides of martian hillsides and they talk about it like nobody had thought of it before. Aaaaaaaaaaa I'm losing my poo poo over here

Slavvy posted:

Don't forget venus

And Europa

And probably a few other moons

hahah fuckin when I was little they were all like "yeah well MAYBE there's SOME liquid water under the ice on Europa because like, we saw 2010 when it came out..." now they're sure almost every fuckin icy moon from Jupiter outward has oceans

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

https://twitter.com/TheProjectUnity/status/1658554283132964865

lol

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

that stupid old mutilated cow

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

not a fan of all the right wing conspiracy people that are involved with this topic lol

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Azathoth posted:

Venus could have had an intelligent civilization relatively recently and we could never know about it.

surface temperature hot enough to melt lead

clouds and storms of battery acid

atmospheric pressure like being at the bottom of an ocean

there's a reason we only have like one or two pictures of the Venusian surface after sending landers

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Spergin Morlock posted:

not a fan of all the right wing conspiracy people that are involved with this topic lol

Me either but I think there seems to be more of a preponderance of right-wing idiots in these circles because Liberals are too busy pretending to be mature serious adults to engage with this stuff

So we end up stuck between Space Nazis and Westworld robots saying "it doesn't look like anything to me"

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

mdemone posted:

Venus could have had an intelligent civilization relatively recently and we could never know about it.

surface temperature hot enough to melt lead

clouds and storms of battery acid

atmospheric pressure like being at the bottom of an ocean

there's a reason we only have like one or two pictures of the Venusian surface after sending landers

And one of those probes had a test for some substance that would indicate biological life (like a metabolite or something idk) and it came back positive but we just chalked it up to a sensor failure and never did any follow up before declaring it a dead world.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Azathoth posted:

And one of those probes had a test for some substance that would indicate biological life (like a metabolite or something idk) and it came back positive but we just chalked it up to a sensor failure and never did any follow up before declaring it a dead world.

there's also phosgene in the atmosphere. I think it's quite likely there was multicellular life on Venus in the past.

if there's anything there now, it's one hell of a little guy

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

mdemone posted:

there's also phosgene in the atmosphere. I think it's quite likely there was multicellular life on Venus in the past.

if there's anything there now, it's one hell of a little guy

phosphine lol. phosgene is a chemical weapon

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Spergin Morlock posted:

if there was that much phosgene still around we could likely infer what happened to them

but yeah phosphine, that's the one. and yeah I don't expect anything above microscopic to pop out from behind a rock but we have examples of things on Earth living quite happily in extreme conditions, it doesn't seem all that farfetched to think that something on Venus survives in that

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Linda has serious brain damage

also the Project Unity guy was gushing all over Oke Shannon, who is an insane right wing Trump loving evangelical, and had him on his show, so uhhh lol

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Spergin Morlock posted:

:tinfoil: they're plants to discredit the 2 legitimate people

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Those people of course being lue and jimmy carter

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

ugh linda howe gross!
how about the honey eyed tones of the great Robbie Williams?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ds16_9XK1RQ

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

mdemone posted:

the only angle on that I can take is that scientific endeavors at least since the time of the Manhattan Project have been large and complicated enough that they involve many people, most of them scientists.

you're talking about a dozen scientists or more all either being coerced or otherwise agreeing to keep quiet about the biggest scientific discovery in human history. it's just too many people to expect it not to leak, in that specific context.

even Dulles couldn't hide the JFK shot forever, but George HW Bush didn't go around talking about that, either.

disclaimer: I do believe Mars has had ancient microbial life, at the very least. one or two billion years ago it might have been a pretty interesting place, with flowing water and possibly an atmosphere of some note. I would be mildly surprised but not flabbergasted to find that some trace microbes have managed to survive on whatever meager poo poo is in that soil, despite being pounded by radiation.

Sure but that isn't how it went down in these cases. They didn't find unequivocal evidence of life then cover it up and force everybody to stay quiet. One of the tests came back positive on the Viking lander and everybody knew it but the official line discarded it for reasons that not everybody agrees with and they refused to do followups. Basically the same thing happened with the thing in the 90s. Not really a coverup more just setting a certain standard and then when that standard is met deciding actually that didn't count no we won't take any questions. There are valid arguments in all cases for ignoring results but there also seem to be reasonable arguments in the other direction as well. The crime isn't even what they did it was refusing to do any sort of followup in either case when it was clearly called for whatever side you were on. We've sent back plenty of more landers why wouldn't we just send the test again.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Anyone taking LMH seriously at this point have already discredited themselves anyway

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

D-Pad posted:

Sure but that isn't how it went down in these cases. They didn't find unequivocal evidence of life then cover it up and force everybody to stay quiet. One of the tests came back positive on the Viking lander and everybody knew it but the official line discarded it for reasons that not everybody agrees with and they refused to do followups. Basically the same thing happened with the thing in the 90s. Not really a coverup more just setting a certain standard and then when that standard is met deciding actually that didn't count no we won't take any questions. There are valid arguments in all cases for ignoring results but there also seem to be reasonable arguments in the other direction as well. The crime isn't even what they did it was refusing to do any sort of followup in either case when it was clearly called for whatever side you were on. We've sent back plenty of more landers why wouldn't we just send the test again.

If this doesn't in itself give the game away idk what to say

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Spergin Morlock posted:

oh lol right

Rickshaw
Apr 11, 2004

just a coconut going for a stroll

quote:

[Linda Moulton Howe] is a great way to inflict massive damage upon the credibility of actual research.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

mdemone posted:

oh lol right

And a phosphene is an hallucination caused by stimulation of the optic nerve by something other than light, like poking your eye when it's closed or taking huge amounts of drugs

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

How! posted:

https://youtube.com/shorts/XfJsF9zyRaI?feature=share

I don’t know how to embed videos, sorry.

This is the horrible shaky 9x zoomed footage I took on Mother’s Day.

Nice video, pretty crazy that it just disappears like that.

I think YT videos just embed automagically but maybe not the shorts

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

Inspector Hound posted:

Some of those are meteorites but I don't get what the smushy looking plastic stuff is

Used alien condom

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/MikeColangelo/status/1658574114544599040?s=20

I have absolutely no idea who these people are or if they even have a shred of credibility, but this did actually make me sit back and think. I can't really think of a single instance when any of the people who seem to be actually involved in this slow drip disclosure have mentioned anything about abductions even in passing. I mean I am sure Lue has mentioned famous stuff like Betty and Barney Hill but when it comes to all the things that have been said and mentioned on the "official" (for lack of a better word) side of things not a peep about abduction.

And it makes a ton of sense why that would be a bridge too far. I'm in agreement with the idea that disclosure in the form of "there are things in the sky, we believe they are non-human intelligences, we've recovered a couple of craft" wouldn't really be all that shocking or disruptive to the general public but if they also said "we know they've taken people over the years and we have no idea why and there is nothing we can do about it" I do actually feel like a lot of people would freak the gently caress out.

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

Rip the loving bandaid off

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

The Saucer Hovers posted:

that stupid old mutilated cow

lol

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?
I love reading people online saying oh man howe has gotten so unreliable, such a shame, when she was always a dipshit from day one. just a local news wannabe celeb who hitched her wagon to a hot topic in 1980 and got stuck

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

ORBS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TNWLN1x5ND0

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

D-Pad posted:

https://twitter.com/MikeColangelo/status/1658574114544599040?s=20

I have absolutely no idea who these people are or if they even have a shred of credibility, but this did actually make me sit back and think. I can't really think of a single instance when any of the people who seem to be actually involved in this slow drip disclosure have mentioned anything about abductions even in passing. I mean I am sure Lue has mentioned famous stuff like Betty and Barney Hill but when it comes to all the things that have been said and mentioned on the "official" (for lack of a better word) side of things not a peep about abduction.

And it makes a ton of sense why that would be a bridge too far. I'm in agreement with the idea that disclosure in the form of "there are things in the sky, we believe they are non-human intelligences, we've recovered a couple of craft" wouldn't really be all that shocking or disruptive to the general public but if they also said "we know they've taken people over the years and we have no idea why and there is nothing we can do about it" I do actually feel like a lot of people would freak the gently caress out.

Buddy I'm already freaking out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

How!
Oct 29, 2009

Just a Moron posted:

Nice video, pretty crazy that it just disappears like that.

I think YT videos just embed automagically but maybe not the shorts

Thanks- I’m not sure what that warbling noise is in the background, my phone really sucks so it’s probably just garbled sound from the wildlife and water fountain.

It did kind of trip me out watching the video and hearing my MIL say “yeah we get those here”.