Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
ended up picking up return of the living dead from amazon which was a bit cheaper then the shout sale and slower shipping from shout. one of these years they'll have more then one thing on my grab list to hit the $50 free ship

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

King Vidiot posted:

That Hammond in the bottom right kills me every time.

"AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH"

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
Is there a Warriors blu-ray that just has the original theatrical version and isn't some expensive set that comes in a fancy box with a bunch of dumb bullshit and the version of the movie nobody wants? Region encoding is not an issue.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

VS Update on Blade in the Dark:

quote:

We're excited to present the longest ever version of the film, at 109 min (compare the runtime on previous releases), in both its original Italian and English dub tracks, newly and exclusively restored by VS from its 16mm original negative along with the disc debut of the theatrical version. Other features will include:
• Commentary track with The Hysteria Continues! for the Extended Cut
• Commentary track with film historian and author Kat Ellinger for the Extended Cut
• "Don't Go Down the Stairs" - a NEW interview with director Lamberto Bava
• "House" - a NEW interview with screenwriter Dardano Sacchetti
• "Lights in an Empty House" - a NEW interview with cinematographer Gianlorenzo Battaglia
• "The Gothic Slashers of Lamberto Bava" - a video essay by film historian and author Samm Deighan
• "Behind the Blade" - an archival interview with Lamberto Bava and Dardano Sacchetti
• "All the Colors of Giallo" a feature-length documentary exploring Giallo films directed by Federico Caddeo
• Original theatrical trailers in Italian and English
• 40-page perfect bound book with essays by Caroline Kopko, Alexandra Heller-Nicholas and Dana Reinoos

SeductiveReasoning
Nov 2, 2005

382 BC - 301 BC

CPL593H posted:

Is there a Warriors blu-ray that just has the original theatrical version and isn't some expensive set that comes in a fancy box with a bunch of dumb bullshit and the version of the movie nobody wants? Region encoding is not an issue.

There's a release from Imprint (Standard and Limited Editions) that includes original cut (and director's). Looks like it's out of stock on DiabolikDVD where I bought it from, but I can still find it on eBay and from Imprint's Australian shop:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/134377808433
https://viavision.com.au/shop/the-warriors-1979-imprint-standard-edition/

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

SeductiveReasoning posted:

There's a release from Imprint (Standard and Limited Editions) that includes original cut (and director's). Looks like it's out of stock on DiabolikDVD where I bought it from, but I can still find it on eBay and from Imprint's Australian shop:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/134377808433
https://viavision.com.au/shop/the-warriors-1979-imprint-standard-edition/

Can't fool me, I buy that someone's gonna annouce a 4k US release!

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

esperantinc posted:

Can't fool me, I buy that someone's gonna annouce a 4k US release!

We appreciate the sacrifice!

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I bought a copy of The Meteor Man on blu ray last year and here we are a year later and still no UHD announcement, so it's not an exact science!

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Found an almost new condition DVD copy of Stella. Today is a good day.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Me: whew, gotta ease up on these Blu-ray and 4k purchases

Also me: The Long Arm of the Law set from 88 is up for pre-order? Well, sign me the gently caress up!

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
local retail physical media status:

best buy: reduced inventory by 2/3rds
target: reduced by >90% down to just one small rack
walmart: dvd bins (dvds only) and only a few blu rays, specifically christian/family and anime, down to a couple shelves.

goodwill: SEVENTEEN DUDES ALL SHOULDER TO SHOULDER grumbling tryign to get in to the blu ray shelf as they put out some stock.

clearly there is a market for this but they just want that rent seeking stream money so badly they refuse to just sell discs anymore

Brexit the Frog
Aug 22, 2013

Gripweed posted:

Found an almost new condition DVD copy of Stella. Today is a good day.

the comedy central show or the copyright-scofflaw shorts?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Brexit the Frog posted:

the comedy central show or the copyright-scofflaw shorts?

The show. I don’t know if the shorts ever got a release. And the show is better than the shorts anyway, a lot of the same jokes but more refined.

The farming episode is one of the best episodes of television ever made, but audiences at the time were too stupid and cowardly to understand

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
I own a signed copy of the Stella Shorts on DVD. I bought it the same night Michael Ian Black beat my high score at Galaga at the old Alamo Drafthouse here in Austin.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Sniep posted:

walmart: dvd bins (dvds only) and only a few blu rays, specifically christian/family and anime, down to a couple shelves.

goodwill: SEVENTEEN DUDES ALL SHOULDER TO SHOULDER grumbling tryign to get in to the blu ray shelf as they put out some stock.

clearly there is a market for this but they just want that rent seeking stream money so badly they refuse to just sell discs anymore

I think all Targets are doing a remodel. I visited two recently and both had barely any DVDs or Blus. Expanded the toy aisle tho.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Sniep posted:

I think it's more of a case where the handful of people who want this poo poo are flocking to where they might actually find it. Physical media is definitely a niche market but that niche is rabid about it. What's good about the Savers in my area is there's no set time anything comes out so you don't have to worry about someone getting there at some specific time and clearing out all the good poo poo. They just gradually put new stuff out as it's sorted and they have the shelf space. You can go there two days in a row and see different stuff. I've had some good luck with movies and records because of this. Earlier in this thread I posted pictures of a bunch of Arrow films blus I found there, some of which were still sealed. I also found X and The Batman with those still sealed as well. And there was a bunch of other good Shout discs but it was all stuff I already have. From what I could tell it was obviously someone who had all that stuff and dumped it because they upgraded to UHD.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

CPL593H posted:

Earlier in this thread I posted pictures of a bunch of Arrow films blus I found there, some of which were still sealed. I also found X and The Batman with those still sealed as well. And there was a bunch of other good Shout discs but it was all stuff I already have. From what I could tell it was obviously someone who had all that stuff and dumped it because they upgraded to UHD.

I still think about that haul. Bastard.

https://twitter.com/lethargyclad/status/1659057702276931586?s=46&t=AGdudd02rOEcNRVhfbV02Q

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Where do the big floaty head covers go

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

ruddiger posted:

Where do the big floaty head covers go

That’s number 2

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

I think I need to sell some movies…

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
I haven't watched a TV show on physical media in ages but I am so excited to get the star trek strange new worlds uhd today.

SeductiveReasoning
Nov 2, 2005

382 BC - 301 BC

edogawa rando posted:

Me: whew, gotta ease up on these Blu-ray and 4k purchases

Also me: The Long Arm of the Law set from 88 is up for pre-order? Well, sign me the gently caress up!

I will never not blind buy literally any golden age Hong Kong boutique release.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

I bought a copy of The Meteor Man on blu ray last year and here we are a year later and still no UHD announcement, so it's not an exact science!

how does that movie hold up?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

how does that movie hold up?

Hard for me to really judge, it was one of my favorite movies growing up and watching it kinda transforms me into a 9 year old again.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

Hard for me to really judge, it was one of my favorite movies growing up and watching it kinda transforms me into a 9 year old again.

word. i haven't seen it since i was about that age either but rewatching Hollywood Shuffle recently got me curious about it.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
I put up a bunch of movies for sale in SA-Mart: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4032225

A couple OOP sets, assorted blu-rays, and a bunch of cheap DVDs. I tried to only list DVDs that I thought would be of interest to collectors - rare or out of print stuff, movies that haven't gotten blu or UHD releases, etc.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

My Vinegar Syndrome pre-orders shipped apparently. I guess they couldnt wait a week for me to stack more stuff in there...

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I wonder when they’ll reveal what that mystery item is.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Gripweed posted:

I wonder when they’ll reveal what that mystery item is.

I believe its like the week of the sale they do the announcement.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Yeah, so around the 26th/this time next week

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

Any word on any more Hitchcock movies coming to 4K? I have a blu- ray box set that I'd like to completely upgrade, though I bet no one's dying to get their hands on Torn Curtain, etc in 4K

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Finally found a Drop Dead Fred DVD at a thrift store. I guess it's not OOP anymore though, oh well. Still hoping to find Fright Night 2 some day.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Boinks posted:

Finally found a Drop Dead Fred DVD at a thrift store. I guess it's not OOP anymore though, oh well. Still hoping to find Fright Night 2 some day.

Just for curiosity, when is the last time you saw Drop Dead Fred?

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Boinks posted:

The sequel to the original or the sequel to the remake?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I just got out of a big expense I was expecting. Now I'm trying to decide if it's worth upgrading to a TV that's less than 15 years old and doesn't get extremely hot after half an hour of use.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast
Discovery: Winco is the new $5 blu ray random assortment bin spot

I was wondering how their inventory swapped so fast and they always had different mix of titles, despite most being B tier, still blu ray releases of popular films...

This blu i just unwrapped had a little un-peeled-off cellphane on the inside lol

I guess wal*mart offloaded their whole cheap blu ray bin inventory. prolly betting on streaming. who wonders how long these have been sitting in a warehou.... wait all these digital copies have expiry dates let's peek:

ok so these have been warehoused since BEFORE 2018-2019. If anyone wants any mass market br releases that deemed unsellable for $5 a pop check your local winco, then check it again. the stock rotates fast.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The hell is a winco

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

I've never had a code tell me it's expired when going to redeem. I've also never seen a movie section at a WinCo. Gonna have to check that out.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

caligulamprey posted:

I've never had a code tell me it's expired when going to redeem. I've also never seen a movie section at a WinCo. Gonna have to check that out.

Yeah it's just a little 2-sided rack by the checkouts at mine.

I don't know if its a local management thing offloading their own glut of inventory or what, or if national, but if so, it's already got proven walmart 2nds in it and that's fine by me. I will eat up the glop munch munch munch munch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

CelticPredator posted:

The hell is a winco

a US employee-owned grocery chain that does some pretty decent pricing deals and product select. I like it a lot. it's like, in my mind, somewhere in the space between a typical kroger/safeway type grocery store, and a costco. In between somewhere.

i guess it's a west coast thing?