Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

evil_bunnY posted:

If you don't get a huge ahooga horn yer ded to me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
well poo poo now I'm reading amazon reviews for klaxons. This one in particular is concerning for an otherwise strong horn candidate, Carina from Italy (autotranslated) writes:

quote:

I sound loud but it doesn't go full circle, auuuugg while I expected it to be auuuugaaaaa 🤷‍♂️

That's just not acceptable.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Somehow when I was a kid my dad came home one day with one of those big chrome 18 wheeler big rig horns that are about 3' long and 1000dB loud

By mere coincidence about week later we got an air compressor hose extension that allowed us to shoot an air duster gun into the air hookup on the back of the horn from the back deck which looked towards the city. After a couple of "test fires", by Mom's Law we were only allowed to use it at midnight on new years

A couple of times I ran the mental math it would take to strap a similar horn on my bike, along with, probably two 2L soda bottles pumped up to 150psi and some air tube, but never did it

BWAAAaaaaaaaaaaaa-hp

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
Having built and launched my fair share of water rockets I know for a fact that 150psi (which is 10.3 bar) is right around the failure point of many PET soda bottles. I never dare go much past 6 bar because that's scary enough and when they blow it's REALLY loud.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Had to use my bell against a pedestrian just walking in the bike lane for the first time today. Rang it over and over as I approached, but he didn't notice until I said "scuse me" as I got close

raggedphoto
May 10, 2008

I'd like to shoot you
Happens to me every so often with joggers using the bike lane and airpods on full blast, they don't hear my bell till I am 3 feet from them. Happens with other bikers that wear airpods while biking in traffic as well, :can: but blasting music in your ears to the point of not hearing traffic around you is pretty dumb considering the way people drive.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

oXDemosthenesXo posted:

Both terms are descended from the old horse and pack animal days, as are the bags themselves.

With horses they would always be attached to an actual saddle, but not necessarily one that carried a rider. That same terms get used for motorcycles as well, which don't typically have a separate saddle to hang things from like bicycle do.

Bikes are the exception in this case oddly enough.

Given the history and other uses of the terms it makes total sense to use them interchangeably.

Maybe this is a language difference across countries but I have never heard these words used the way you describe in the US.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

GIS for "pack animals"

Made sense to me

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.
The usual Dutch solution to carrying things is to just use your backpack for short distances, otherwise strap the backpack on top of the rear rack with fixed straps (snelbinders). Or you have large fixed panniers besides the rear rack and use those.

A few idiot hipsters have a crate on the front but then everybody hates you because you block 3 spots in a bike rack, and your bike will probably be thrown into the canal at some point.

Entropist fucked around with this message at 09:54 on May 12, 2023

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Invalido posted:

well poo poo now I'm reading amazon reviews for klaxons. This one in particular is concerning for an otherwise strong horn candidate, Carina from Italy (autotranslated) writes:

That's just not acceptable.
Correct, you want the kind with the wind-down

EvilJoven posted:

Changing at work is the pro tier move I literally didn't think about the bag situation from the perspective of someone that rides in their work clothes.

Seriously. Change at work. Keep a belt and shoes at your workplace so you can commute in clipless if you decide to or at least not worry about getting your regular shoes grungy hitting a mud puddle or riding in rain. It's so much better.
The changing is never the issue, it's the sweating if you're not on an e-bike.

cum jabbar posted:

Had to use my bell against a pedestrian just walking in the bike lane for the first time today. Rang it over and over as I approached, but he didn't notice until I said "scuse me" as I got close
Took me a while to find a bell peds would actually respond to. Best so far is the "bing-bong" enormous (80mm across lol) type usually found on dutch bakfiets. The two tones seem to help them associate with "bike", and it's loud enough without veering into gently caress-you levels (like an air or motorbike horn).

Entropist posted:

The usual Dutch solution to carrying things is to just use your backpack for short distances, otherwise strap the backpack on top of the rear rack with fixed straps (snelbinders). Or you have large fixed panniers besides the rear rack and use those.

A few idiot hipsters have a crate on the front but then everybody hates you because you block 3 spots in a bike rack, and your bike will probably be thrown into the canal at some point.
Holy poo poo the omafiets absolutist is back.

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 10:34 on May 12, 2023

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

evil_bunnY posted:

The changing is never the issue, it's the sweating if you're not on an e-bike.

Become fitter / ride slower / wear less clothing.

Problem solved.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
I used to run a 12v battery and car horn on my daily driver, ended up too clunky

It's dangerous how powerful it makes you feel

In other news, the work on my grocery getter continues

It's looking like it had completely acceptable performance empty, and 30+ kg load capacity from my testings

Perfect for volumous groceries and general hardware shopping

It's an odd ride but it is not unpleasant at all

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

cum jabbar posted:

I get that a lot too going around the town. I think people are just not tuned in to the idea that someone ringing a bell doesn't mean "kid having fun while riding in circles", it means "you are about to get run over".

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
After several close calls with idiots going the wrong way after dinging them or yelling on your left I decided that I'd rather just navigate around then silently and let them yell at me to get a bell after I've passed them. It's safer for both of us.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Now a bell in a bike race, that is pro tier trolling.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

wooger posted:

Become fitter / ride slower / wear less clothing.
I don't wanna

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

barf barf i am a dog, barf on your carpet, barf
Wait, people DON'T change after biking to work??

raggedphoto
May 10, 2008

I'd like to shoot you
I've often debated ringing my bell vs just flying past slower bikers. Now that the fair weather bike commuters are out in full force ringing my bell even from a distance makes people squirrelly instead of just holding their line.

Changing at work is great, I even take a shower at work sometimes!

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

My commute used to be a 200' vertical drop at 8 am (before it got to be 80F outside), rolling up the sleeves on my button up shirt was all that was needed. I did have a fan at my desk I'd switch on.

How much you sweat plays a big part in it. I might get moist around my helmet pads but it's gotta be really hot (95F for more than 20 minutes) to actually get sweaty

My buddy on the other hand, he has salt stains on all his clothes after an hour and is totally gross after only 20 minutes

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

AEMINAL posted:

Wait, people DON'T change after biking to work??

If you have a flat-ish or downhill route of 5 miles, it isn’t raining, you have mudguards and can chill out and ride easy - yes it’s fine, no chance of breaking a sweat unless it’s roasting hot out.

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

raggedphoto posted:

I've often debated ringing my bell vs just flying past slower bikers. Now that the fair weather bike commuters are out in full force ringing my bell even from a distance makes people squirrelly instead of just holding their line.

Changing at work is great, I even take a shower at work sometimes!

Barreling past people is better 99% of the time Imho because usually people don't swerve until they hear the bell

Same with pedestrians

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!
Pedestrians, like toddlers, will change direction for seemingly no reason and the only way to pass safely is to slow down. Shared pedestrian/cyclist spaces are dumb

raggedphoto
May 10, 2008

I'd like to shoot you

Mauser posted:

Pedestrians, like toddlers, will change direction for seemingly no reason and the only way to pass safely is to slow down. Shared pedestrian/cyclist spaces are dumb

Slowing down is common decency and I have to remind myself sometimes that I don't have to go flat out 100% of the time.

AEMINAL posted:

Barreling past people is better 99% of the time Imho because usually people don't swerve until they hear the bell

Same with pedestrians

That's been my experience, obviously every situation is a bit different but for the most part I no longer ring my bell but I always question if I was rude not to.

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Boys who love airplanes :respek: Boys who love boys
Lipstick Apathy
I ring from a ways back if people be walking squirrely or have a pack of dogs on extendo leashes. Works like 1/3 of the time, but I like the sound of my bell.

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

evil_bunnY posted:

Holy poo poo the omafiets absolutist is back.

I never left

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Mauser posted:

I commute along one, and have to deal with people who walk their dogs on a lead through the surrounding park, enter the shared use path *then* unclip their dog from the lead and let them run free.

This is right next to playing field and areas of parkland where they could go play with their dogs.

I’ve only hit one so far… and I ride slow and conscientious.

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.
I commute through some narrow streets in the center of Amsterdam. The tourists there just randomly step into the road/bike path and have never heard the sound of a bike bell before so they are ineffective. They do seem to notice squeaking brakes however, so I always keep one of the brakes in bad shape. Apart from that the only solution is to make sure the impact hurts them more than you.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Mauser posted:

aaayup

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

Dogs, I will always gladly slow down to a crawl for :3

Other fellow human beings? Get the gently caress out of my way you piece of cake

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
Yun ukiklp k Arts

Al2001
Apr 7, 2007

You've gone through at the back

wooger posted:

If you have a flat-ish or downhill route of 5 miles, it isn’t raining, you have mudguards and can chill out and ride easy - yes it’s fine, no chance of breaking a sweat unless it’s roasting hot out.

Yep

Hadlock posted:

How much you sweat plays a big part in it. I might get moist around my helmet pads but it's gotta be really hot (95F for more than 20 minutes) to actually get sweaty

My buddy on the other hand, he has salt stains on all his clothes after an hour and is totally gross after only 20 minutes

I also think this thread must skew pretty heavily towards morning people, because the idea getting up 10, 20, 30 mins early every day to mess with extra clothing/showering... not now, not ever. (Yes I shower the night before work. No I don't smell.)

raggedphoto posted:

Slowing down is common decency and I have to remind myself sometimes that I don't have to go flat out 100% of the time.

Absolutely. As you get older, you realise people have very different levels of eyesight and hearing, it isn't cool to spook pedestrians by passing close at high speed, and if you hit them you should have the book thrown at you.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Al2001 posted:

I also think this thread must skew pretty heavily towards morning people, because the idea getting up 10, 20, 30 mins early every day to mess with extra clothing/showering... not now, not ever. (Yes I shower the night before work. No I don't smell.)

I think you kind of have to become a morning person if you get into cycling as a hobby - group rides start early for traffic and family reasons, light is a concern for much of the year. I’m meeting for a gravel century at 6:30 this Saturday…

Mr Newsman
Nov 8, 2006
Did somebody say news?

Al2001 posted:

It takes me longer to drive or take public transit than it does to bike and get changed. I'd have to wake up earlier if I didn't bike.

For extra clothing it's pretty simple. Instead of putting it on your body you put it in your bag. Like literally 0 minutes difference. Can even do it the night before if you want.

I think the bigger thing is if your employer requires you to start working at a specific time or not. I can roll in whenever the heck I want, sit in my bike clothes for 30 mins, send some emails, get changed, and continue with my day.

Not trying to argue that the thread skews one way or the other though. Unfortunately I'm (read: my kids are) up 2-4 hours before daycare opens.

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

wooger posted:

I think you kind of have to become a morning person if you get into cycling as a hobby - group rides start early for traffic and family reasons, light is a concern for much of the year. I’m meeting for a gravel century at 6:30 this Saturday…

Is commuting to work your hobby?

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!
My work does a lot of early morning calls and I don't know anybody that has this schedule that shows up at the office beforehand. i roll into the office around lunch time and see who wants to get tacos then usually head home around 4:30pm at the latest while laughing at all the cars stuck in traffic.

For clothes, you can stash a few pairs of business appropriate pants and shoes in your desk/office and take the pants home for cleaning every week or so, thereby cutting down what you need to bring daily. For rainy days I'll bring a change of underwear too in case I get soaked or maybe just stay home because nobody's checking to see if I'm there anyway.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Al2001 posted:

Yep

Absolutely. As you get older, you realise people have very different levels of eyesight and hearing, it isn't cool to spook pedestrians by passing close at high speed, and if you hit them you should have the book thrown at you.

Back in like 2012 I used to work at an Old School finance/bank company where we had "casual fridays" and we got to wear ~jeans~ there was no hard and fast rule about what time you came in but it was generally understood anyone could put a meeting on your calendar for 9am and you were expected to show up. I eventually came to an unspoken understanding with my boss that I'd be in NLT 9:30 and before 9:15 was the exepectation

Post covid, we'll see about my next job but currently daily standup meeting happens at 9am and I'm usually making coffee in my own kitchen at that time

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
Not everybody is able to zoom into the office and show up whenever they like, and biking to work shouldn't be just a special thing for people privileged enough to set their own office hours.

I've never been a morning person, but waking up earlier is the real solution even if it sucks. Start with 10 min, add more bit by bit as needed until you don't feel stressed for time in the morning. Eventually you just get used to it, especially if you've got young children who wake up very early no matter what. I've gotta change into scrubs anyway so I don't have to bring my own clothes, which is a bonus that also comes with a locker room. I still started giving myself 30 more minutes in the morning this winter just so I can take my time and have coffee in the morning without being stressed about getting in on time.

Like any new habit, biking to work is going to take time and adjustment to get used to and it'll inevitably take some changes to make it work. Depending on how far your ride is and the infrastructure in place where you live, you might not need much or any more time, or you might need quite a bit more.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Oldsrocket_27 posted:

Not everybody is able to zoom into the office and show up whenever they like, and biking to work shouldn't be just a special thing for people privileged enough to set their own office hours.

If you drive behind any restaurant in the Houston/clear lake area there's 3-12 bikes locked up there

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009

Hadlock posted:

If you drive behind any restaurant in the Houston/clear lake area there's 3-12 bikes locked up there

And I'd bet they don't bike because their boss lets them show up when they feel like it, they have to get up in time to get to work on time. They may also bike because it's so much cheaper than driving and that's the transportation they can afford, I've been there (specifically while working in the restaurant business).

The point is that when someone asks about how people manage their time biking to work, "I just show up whenever, my boss lets me" is unhelpful, potentially in a way that discourages people from getting out of their car and onto their bike. It's not reasonable to expect that kind of leeway from your boss since most workplaces are lovely, especially lower down on the economic ladder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Oldsrocket_27 posted:

The point is ... unhelpful,

I don't think anyone here is trying to be unhelpful