Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

Beached Whale
Jun 27, 2009

The world as will and idea

Business Gorillas posted:

Is the Lord Mayor different than the Mayor? Just wondering why this mf is covered in jewels

Edit: oh this guy is the ambassador for the city, which is a pretty normal thing to be

The city of London is a one square mile legal entity surrounded by greater London, generally all the big international banks are headquartered there as it has special tax provisions. The only people allowed to vote for the Lord mayor are representatives from the trade associations headquartered there who predictably all have anglo business brain worms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Have you considered a pro of returning to the office is all the breast milk you can drink from the company fridges?

Finally, a perk that not everyone already has at home.

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

https://twitter.com/BusinessInsider/status/1658632417895219203

Musk argued that tech workers—who he characterized as the “laptop class”—were unfair in demanding privileges that other people, like service workers or factory employees, could not enjoy. “You’re going to work-from-home, and you’re going to make everyone else who made your car come work in the factory? You’re going to make people who make your food that gets delivered—they can’t work from home?” Musk asked. “Does that seem morally right?”

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

isn’t this guy nominally pro environment

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Beached Whale posted:

The city of London is a one square mile legal entity surrounded by greater London, generally all the big international banks are headquartered there as it has special tax provisions. The only people allowed to vote for the Lord mayor are representatives from the trade associations headquartered there who predictably all have anglo business brain worms.

Lmao it's even worse than I thought

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Acelerion posted:

I'm not very hopeful about the future of work from home. The winds are definitely pushing against it now and it seems that there are more and more people applying for less and less openings - also I've noticed a major change with recruiters contacting me for on prem positions almost exclusively now.

I'm afraid it will all be clawed back eventually and we will all reflect on these ~5 years as that cool time we didn't have a commute.

It's going to be clawed back to hybrid. The coming commercial real estate and city/transit budget apocalypses will see to that.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Xaris posted:

i really cant imaging hosting a few mbs across even billions of inactive email is more than a rounding error, that's like some 20th significant figure decimal in terms of operating costs.

This is not solving a current problem, its preventing a future one.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

webcams for christ posted:

some of the grimmest straight reporting on credit agencies I've ever seen:
having too many Olds is bad for you nation's credit rating, unless you "reform"

[url=https://www.ft.com/content/f434c586-db1f-4d81-8b29-989db5c78f72]

webcams for christ posted:

bonus FT content:

gee I wonder how Target beat earning expectations while sales volume fell more than expected

The prophecies are coming true!

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

is pepsi ok posted:

Musk argued that tech workers—who he characterized as the “laptop class”—were unfair in demanding privileges that other people, like service workers or factory employees, could not enjoy. “You’re going to work-from-home, and you’re going to make everyone else who made your car come work in the factory? You’re going to make people who make your food that gets delivered—they can’t work from home?” Musk asked. “Does that seem morally right?”

i agree sir we should consider every moment of one's commute time on the clock

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

is pepsi ok posted:

My solution is tech workers can work from home but never leave it. We'll weld their doors shut and feed them via pnumatic tubes.

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

I'm currently on a hybrid schedule, but I would be fully remote if it were not for my boss throwing a shitfit and insisting that we renew our lease a couple years ago. We share our building -- just one floor! -- with a sister company, and our parent company wanted us out, but somehow this one (1) individual had enough clout (or is a big enough pain in the rear end) that they're allowing us to stay for now. Outside of his micromanagement brain worms, I'm pretty sure he just wants a place to bring visitors, but like -- gently caress it man, take them to a nice lunch or a sporting event or something, our office is extremely standard and boring anyway. There's nothing to "show off," and it's also a hostile environment now because we're not wanted there anymore. I literally have to use the guest wifi when I'm in the office because we no longer have access to the "real" one, lol, and we have to go through some dumb system to "rent" the conference rooms on our own floor. (This isn't even touching the fact I never see more than four or five coworkers on a given day.) Sure am glad I'm reaping all these benefits of in-person work!

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

Xaris posted:

After I made the really long post about Shrinkflation, it got me thinkin' that Amazon prices are all tracked by camelcamelcamel going back decade and that's probably an interesting metric to judge inflation on some random samples of popular items.

I bought this Panasonic toaster oven for like $99 several years ago, it is now around $160: +60% inflation

coffee thingy several years ago from $25 to $40: +60% inflation

dish soap: $12 to $17: +40% inflation

oreos: $4.5 to $6: +33% inflation

ziploc bags: $7 to $11: +50% inflation

electric water kettle: $50 to $100: +100% inflation

boardgame: Codenames Duet: $12 to $25: +200% inflation

e: i tried not to cherrypick that much but my basic observations is electronics priced around $60-$500 haven't moved in 7+ years, mostly. most non-electronic items priced <$30 have gone up. typical retail goods <$20 definitely gone up a lot.

Good detective work. Someone should share this with the Bureau of Labor Statistics, they might want to know.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I work fully in person and it's awesome. You're all missing out.

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

https://twitter.com/BidenHQ

is pepsi ok posted:

Completely out of touch with reality and zero common sense. I’m glad he’s letting his whole rear end hang out for everyone to see. I was never going to buy a Tesla before and certainly will ever buy one now.

UKJeff
May 17, 2023

by vyelkin

Glumwheels posted:

Completely out of touch with reality and zero common sense. I’m glad he’s letting his whole rear end hang out for everyone to see. I was never going to buy a Tesla before and certainly will ever buy one now.

Where’s the lie? The only one out of touch here is you, sir.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

In Training posted:

everyone works in person dumbass what do you think people get their spirits sucked out of their bodies and work in the astral plane? iidiot

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

i work in third person

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

postings are down,

Doing my best to make more posts

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007
It's also morally wrong to work in a comfortable air conditioned office and not the factory floor.

Sokani
Jul 20, 2006

Bison

In Training posted:

I'm gonna become a surgeon so I can work in person while I work in person, that's how great it is.

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

euphronius posted:

isn’t this guy nominally pro environment

he sells cars OP

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
Next Musk is going to tout the moral imperative to crush two dozen office workers a year in industrial accidents, and also increase levels of office racism until they match factory racism.

Apr 7, 2003

Glumwheels posted:

He's straight up responding to nazi poo poo and boosting it and the media class is pointedly ignoring that for some reason

literal Henry Ford style great replacement and "Soros is manipulating our society" stuff

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

*while spending 10 unpaid hours in traffic every week on the way to my essential job* wow sure am glad the laptop class is back on the road and competing with me for spots in all the congestion

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007
Sensing some hostility here but please, be respectful of what the billionaire has to say on morality and equality regarding working conditions.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

God Hole posted:

*while spending 10 unpaid hours in traffic every week on the way to my essential job* wow sure am glad the laptop class is back on the road and competing with me for spots in all the congestion

ngl the commute traffic in march - august of 2020 was heaven compared to any other time in my life

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

ngl the commute traffic in march - august of 2020 was heaven compared to any other time in my life

we cant have nice things.

Apr 7, 2003

It's cool that one of the richest men on earth can buy the internet's town square and post "CONCERNING" in response to PepeWarrior1488's posts about how the Jews are using the savage mud races to exterminate the noble white man and every media outlet pretends it's not happening.

Engorged Pedipalps
Apr 21, 2023

Xaris posted:

honestly i dont get why people were spending $$$ on diablo immortal or hearthstone or overwatch 2 when it all sucks rear end

whatever happened to spending money on a good game instead?? it's never been easier to find a good game

People who spend 3000 hours playing the same game with no microtransaction purchases are not a lucrative market. AAA devs want to go whaling, they want to live the "players spent 2 billion dollars on this banner alone" dream

I think paradox is the only company appealing to this demo anymore and even then their DLC structure is borderline exploitative and extremely overwhelming

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Hope everyone is comfy we're here for a while I guess
https://twitter.com/unusual_whales/status/1658826168186052613?t=Qu4qGlpyJXJdPY08ZvQBdA&s=19

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
there is something kind of funny about video games traveling a big circle back to the arcade model of "keep em pumping quarters in!!!"

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

They're required to say it but they're not going to do it. The spineless fuckers are going to cut, and the whole market already knows it.

Beached Whale
Jun 27, 2009

The world as will and idea
Love that we're expecting a recession and can't do anything about it, as if it's some completely natural unavoidable disaster

Engorged Pedipalps
Apr 21, 2023

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

there is something kind of funny about video games traveling a big circle back to the arcade model of "keep em pumping quarters in!!!"

The only thing that saved us from that getting worse was the industry collapsing

:pray:

Apr 7, 2003

Beached Whale posted:

Love that we're expecting a recession and can't do anything about it, as if it's some completely natural unavoidable disaster

Recessions are good for the ruling class

Engorged Pedipalps
Apr 21, 2023

Beached Whale posted:

It is though

Trying to avoid recessions like they were a pothole in the road rather than a symptom of a failing economy is part of why this problem we're staring down right now looks so bad in the first place

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

He's straight up responding to nazi poo poo and boosting it and the media class is pointedly ignoring that for some reason

literal Henry Ford style great replacement and "Soros is manipulating our society" stuff

bad news about american media

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Xaris posted:

After I made the really long post about Shrinkflation, it got me thinkin' that Amazon prices are all tracked by camelcamelcamel going back decade and that's probably an interesting metric to judge inflation on some random samples of popular items.

I bought this Panasonic toaster oven for like $99 several years ago, it is now around $160: +60% inflation

coffee thingy several years ago from $25 to $40: +60% inflation

dish soap: $12 to $17: +40% inflation

oreos: $4.5 to $6: +33% inflation

ziploc bags: $7 to $11: +50% inflation

electric water kettle: $50 to $100: +100% inflation

boardgame: Codenames Duet: $12 to $25: +200% inflation

e: i tried not to cherrypick that much but my basic observations is electronics priced around $60-$500 haven't moved in 7+ years, mostly. most non-electronic items priced <$30 have gone up. typical retail goods <$20 definitely gone up a lot.
This is a great post, thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

spacemang_spliff posted:

bad news about american media

THE DECORUM :byodood: