Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

The Demilich posted:

How many diagnol squares are needed to alleviate built up water pressure?

One.

Pressure in DF works very differently than you'd expect, and is a simple enough mechanic that it's worth it to learn how it actually works.

To put it simply, pressure is created when either liquid is pumped into a tile that already has too much liquid to fit all that is being pumped, or water is on top of a 7/7 tile of water. Then, immediately and within a single tick, the game will path from the tile where pressure is being created (pump output tile, or the bottom tile of water that has more water on top of it), through liquid to any tile that can fit the liquid, using the simple rules that it cannot flow up above the pressure-creating tile, and it doesn't travel diagonally (that is, it can travel in any of: [ down, up, south, north, west, east]), and if such a tile is found, the pressurized liquid is deposited there.

That is, pressure is not a property of a liquid, it is a mechanic that fires once (and every time when) certain conditions are met, and it either places the liquid in a valid tile, or if no valid tile is found, leaves it where it is and tries again next tick.

Flow, in contrast, is a thing that happens when a tile with a liquid is next to a tile that has less liquid, and in that situation some liquid from the first tile is placed in the adjacent tile. This is dramatically slower than pressure, because it is an entirely local phenomenon. It goes one tile at a time. In contrast, if you have enough pressurized water you can instantly flood a hallway that goes halfway across the map.

Magma is not pressurized by having tiles of them above other tiles of them, but is pressurized by pumps. It should also always be moved entirely by pressure, not flow, because it just flows too slowly to be practical. (Or with minecarts...)

Tuna-Fish fucked around with this message at 18:42 on May 13, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

The Demilich posted:

I dumped a river into an underground reservoir and am just wondering how to safely tap it for some wells that won't overflow that are sitting on top of it by one z level.

Just a single diagonal transition should be enough to depressurize your water.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

The Demilich posted:

I dumped a river into an underground reservoir and am just wondering how to safely tap it for some wells that won't overflow that are sitting on top of it by one z level.

Personally I just build a weight-activated cistern with a manual cut-off and flush and don't worry about it. :v:

That said, it only takes a single tile. Vertical diagonals don't work, only horizontal ones, and if you want to maintain a good amount of flow using a layout like the one found here: https://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Pressure#Diagonal_flow

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
If you have a cistern diagonally connected to a brook and dump more water into it will it overflow or be fine?

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Dwarf Fortress official merchandise is up for sale on Fangamer.

https://www.fangamer.com/collections/dwarf-fortress

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

Popete posted:

That shirt is awesome

woke kaczynski
Jan 23, 2015

How do you do, fellow antifa?

Fun Shoe

Popete posted:

Aw hell yeah, I got the whole set because I have no self control

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

woke kaczynski posted:

Aw hell yeah, I got the whole set because I have no self control

I never buy video game merchandise I don't have any on display or that I wear but I ordered 2 pint glasses and the t-shirt. The last video game merch I can remember buying was a couple of Fallout 4 Nuka Cola's from Jones Soda Company.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Finally tried the steam version after not playing for 3 years. Built a dwarven bath 3 tiles deep outside my hospital. Two dwarfs show up and start fishing. Silly dwarfs. They immediately catch turtles. Where are the turtles coming from???

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

they're very good fisherdwarves

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Facebook Aunt posted:

Finally tried the steam version after not playing for 3 years. Built a dwarven bath 3 tiles deep outside my hospital. Two dwarfs show up and start fishing. Silly dwarfs. They immediately catch turtles. Where are the turtles coming from???

Oh that's so very clever of you but I'll have you know it's turtles all the way down.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Update: I am drowning in turtles.

I uh, I gave all the guys eligible for military service the fishing job so they would be easy to spot in the squad member selection screen since I don't care about fishing. Who cares if 30 guys run out to fish the one season of the year the pond isn't frozen over, it'll be fine. Now they are mad about miasma because they are catching fish faster than they can be hauled away.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
remember to get a fisher workshop and get those fuckers made into food before they rot

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

SniperWoreConverse posted:

remember to get a fisher workshop and get those fuckers made into food before they rot

I already had TWO! Now I'm building a third and enlarging the raw fish stockpile but the turtles just keep coming.

E: Okay, mystery partially solved. I accidentally selected the hauling job on exactly one guy, so nothing was getting hauled.

Facebook Aunt fucked around with this message at 13:50 on May 17, 2023

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Facebook Aunt posted:

Okay, mystery partially solved. I accidentally selected the hauling job on exactly one guy, so nothing was getting hauled.

Sisyfish

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Facebook Aunt posted:

I already had TWO! Now I'm building a third and enlarging the raw fish stockpile but the turtles just keep coming.

E: Okay, mystery partially solved. I accidentally selected the hauling job on exactly one guy, so nothing was getting hauled.

Fortress just needs more kids.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Fortress just needs more kids.

*monkey's paw finger curls*

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Facebook Aunt posted:

the dwarves bathing there are uh, into some poo poo

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Flesh Forge posted:

the dwarves bathing there are uh, into some poo poo

What's wrong with wanting to swim with turtles??

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

Elves are whiny bitches. "you can't use wood it's against nature man :qq:" *trades nothing but wooden equipment*

I swear I'm gonna commit elven genocide one of these days.

On a different note, is there a good reference out there for how to use magma? I've started a new fort next to a volcano and it's my very first time having it and I'm not sure of the possibilities besides using it for a forge (which I have no idea how to do)

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

I still love that they somehow grow veins of lignite and other coal into furniture shapes.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Cup Runneth Over posted:

What's wrong with wanting to swim with turtles??

it's more about how the turtles got in there via the bathing dwarves

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Flesh Forge posted:

it's more about how the turtles got in there via the bathing dwarves

Also the number of turtles you can pull out of that pool. At some point, you're not bathing with turtles, you're wading through damp turtle shells.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
The 7 is not how deep the water is, its how many turtles occupy that space.

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe
Bodies of water spontaneously generate turtles. This is nothing strange or unknown. Honestly, you all look silly for questioning it.

I swear, soon you'll be complaining that a single featherwood support should not be able to hold up a hundred thousand solid tiles of stone and dirt. loving unreasonable the lot of you.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Cowman posted:

Elves are whiny bitches. "you can't use wood it's against nature man :qq:" *trades nothing but wooden equipment*

I swear I'm gonna commit elven genocide one of these days.

On a different note, is there a good reference out there for how to use magma? I've started a new fort next to a volcano and it's my very first time having it and I'm not sure of the possibilities besides using it for a forge (which I have no idea how to do)

Yep, my primer is that the best way to learn about magma is give some copper picks to some dwarves you don't care about and let them dig you out some science!

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

did they fix archery yet

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Is there some sort of extra hoop you need to jump through to use surface plants for brewing? I embarked with some berries, have enabled them for brewing in the cooking/brewing menu, and have empty barrels. However, my brewer only used the (enabled) subterranean plants I brought and just cancels the job for lack of materials when there's only berries left.

I'm using the Steam version and haven't played the old version for a few years, but I don't remember this being a problem before.

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT

Hello Sailor posted:

Is there some sort of extra hoop you need to jump through to use surface plants for brewing? I embarked with some berries, have enabled them for brewing in the cooking/brewing menu, and have empty barrels. However, my brewer only used the (enabled) subterranean plants I brought and just cancels the job for lack of materials when there's only berries left.

I'm using the Steam version and haven't played the old version for a few years, but I don't remember this being a problem before.
Do you have empty barrels or stone pots? Are you brewing both plants and fruits, they have separate orders, and berries count as fruits, I think.

Rincewinds fucked around with this message at 16:56 on May 28, 2023

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

a ghost just punched one of my dwarves' entire leg off

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

hbag posted:

They've asked all the doctors how it happened and they're all still stumped.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

hbag posted:

He didn't stand a ghost of a chance.

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT

hbag posted:

The phantom limbs are multiplying.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Hello Sailor posted:

The still has both "brew drink from plant" and "brew drink from fruit" orders. Did you order them to brew drink from fruit?

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT
Apparently there is a communist revolution in my fort, while my army are outside fighting the gobling siege force, all the visiting nobles are being put to the sword inside, and my dwarves are keep being interupted by fleeing barons.

Edit: There was another visiting noble coming in, the bleak hunter who led the revolution went outside and kicked him to death while leaving the fort.

There is a pack of dogs chasing the last noble, who is a master dodger but is starting to feel exhausted.

The Queen feels uneasy seeing the dead nobles lying around the fort.'

I guess its lucky that Reg the necromancer did not feel like joining in on the fun.

Rincewinds fucked around with this message at 11:22 on May 29, 2023

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
Does anyone have any advice for how to deal with dwarves spending literally months in the tavern doing 'Socialize!' and refusing to do any work until they are done with that?

I had considered trying to implement some redundancy by assigning several dwarves for each labor, but since I'd already automated everything around work orders on workshops with a specific dwarves assigned, changing it up so multiple dwarves can use each shop is going to be such a hassle.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Slashrat posted:

Does anyone have any advice for how to deal with dwarves spending literally months in the tavern doing 'Socialize!' and refusing to do any work until they are done with that?

Have you only just built your tavern? Dwarven needs are tracked regardless of whether any outlet for them exists or not, and if you went a few years without building a tavern right away your dwarves will have a massive partying backlog to catch up on. And this is ultimately a good thing for productivity, since if you don't they get Distracted and start working progressively slower and slower anyways. After a while they'll level out and spend more time working.

As for ways to strategize around it without actually preventing it, you've already hit on the idea of redundancy. You can use guilds to help cross-train your dwarves in multiple skills, which is nice for quality-dependent work like smithing or carpentry.

bottlesproot
Nov 5, 2012

Hello Sailor posted:

When you embark with fruit the game places it in bags, and stills can't brew fruit from items within bags for some reason.

To get the fruit out of the bags you have to:
1. make a dump zone, preferably next to your still.
2. find the barrel your fruit is in (a "Spice Barrel") and select each bag and mark each of its contents for dumping (but not the barrel or the bags themselves).
3. wait for your dwarves to empty everything out, then unforbid the dumped fruit.
4. have your still brew drinks from fruit, which should be enabled now.

If your dwarves just ignore the dumping order, it may be because the fruit is being stored outdoors. You can either move it indoors, or go into work orders and enable dumping outdoor refuse.

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

i would very much like for archery to be fixed i still got a swarm of lizard men in my caves that would flatten my militia

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT

hbag posted:

i would very much like for archery to be fixed i still got a swarm of lizard men in my caves that would flatten my militia

Are they bunched up in the open? You could drop the roof on them.