Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut
Loop Hero is pretty good six loops in. I don't know what I'm doing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
Ah cool, start up a FIFA 23 career just as the seasons end and it'll tide me over through the offseason. Was getting tired of NHL 94 Rewind anyway, though it's a real fun game

I'm still slightly miffed that I could be getting a College Football game this summer but they decided to push it a year. When that comes out I may never come up for air

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.

Snowy posted:

Detailed stats are more fun than achievements imo

Yes but aren't always available to developers outside of the game, though I think that's changed? Like I think devs can stat track for the player and collect that data from Xbox, but that data isn't about missions progression and if you're multiplat that' doesn't cover the other platforms and achievements can be consistent across each.

I selfishly love boring progress achievements because it makes doing broad analysis easier, but yeah I don't think it's more fun for players.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

The Xbox One gave developers the ability to keep unique stats on the Xbox Live backend. Tons of games use it in some capacity; TrueAchievements tracks all of them via leaderboards (only for registered TA users, not globally):

The Witness - Steps Taken

Halo: The Master Chief Collection - Total Multiplayer Deaths

Rabbids Invasion: The Interactive TV Show - Episodes Played

Peggle 2 - Blue Pegs Hit

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Okay so lesson learned, if you're playing a game over Xbox Cloud, don't go afk for like an hour. It'll end your session and you might lose progress depending on the game and how it handles saves.

Neco
Mar 13, 2005

listen
Yeah but that‘s not really surprising right? On the orher hand, if you get disconnected (or you accidentally turn off your tv like my dumb rear end did) you have a few minutes to return to your session.

Edit: your tv with integrated xbox cloud client

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

It was surprising to me but in retrospec it really shouldnt be. :P

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
When I was going through a major depressive episode Xbox achievements were the only thing that made me feel like I had any agency.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Ngl I get weirdly excited when I hear the Rare Achievement sounds

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Achievements are useful for seeing just how few people ever finish video games. Many times only about half even get past the first level. They were all weak, unlike me.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
If I ever make a game it will have everyone start off with 100% achievements and then the more you play the game the more achievements you lose.

Take the completionists!

(nah you're safe, I'm never going to make a game.)

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I like achievements and trophies, but I think it's because I don't ever feel compelled to get all of them. I think I have gotten like 2 platinums on Playstation ever, none on Xbox or Steam. But I like them as an excuse to do something in a game I wanted to do anyways. Like, "ooh only 2% of people have beaten this on hard and I wanted to try hard mode". it's also sometimes fun to look back and see what you did in a game and maybe try to pop a few more when I'm in the mood to replay it. They are meaningless, but fun for cataloging what you played.

Getting achievements for the sake of getting achievements is...bizzare though. I once saw a guy pull a copy of tiger woods 2010 out of trash can like "hell yeah!" and when I asked him if he even liked golf games, he told me he hated them, but "free cheevos bro" and I was just like what the gently caress.

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream
Achievements make some brains happy and so i think it's cool that they exist, especially since you can turn the notifications off

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
Job interview in the morning? Make the rare achievement sfx your ringtone of the day. Thanks for subscribing to Xbox Dad Tips!

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF
I remember when I finished moving out of my apartment one time and that achievement jingle and graphic popped into my head and it gave me a pretty good laugh.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Achievements are fine but gamerscore was a mistake. I kinda think gamification can be evil, it's a depressingly cheap and easy way to manipulate people. Slap a number on an account and you can make someone dig a crumb of tiger woods out the trash, it ain't right. Achievements on the other hand let me distinguish real vs fake gamers, invaluable.

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

https://twitter.com/guardian/status/1658499791037382658

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Whenever I see someone with a ridiculously high Gamerscore I quietly judge them

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

thats right. they blocked it on the orders of the perfidious Sony corporation

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

Big strong independent regulator who don’t need nobody to tell it what to do. I totally poo poo my pants on purpose, ok

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Feels Villeneuve posted:

thats right. they blocked it on the orders of the perfidious Sony corporation

the Irish government have confirmed this

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

veni veni veni posted:

I passed 100k just last month. It's taken 17 years though.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

veni veni veni posted:

I judge them loud and clear

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

veni veni veni posted:

Wait until you discover the person with a 5000-day achievement streak

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
You can like achievements but not too much, otherwise you are a loving freak. Hth

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I am a freak.... for gaming!!!!!

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

webmeister posted:

Wait until you discover the person with a 5000-day achievement streak

I know a few guys like this. I don't understand it at all. One of them had a special thing setup on his phone so he could keep the streak on his wedding day.

ixnay
Jun 11, 2002

rainbow dash why are you making such a cool face?!
As an achievement sicko I managed to do a 2-year achievement streak when I was working from home during covid.

I used mahjong and solitaire on my phone to keep it going for a week when I went on vacation to a lake cabin

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

lol

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I always think I'm over achievements but I connected my 360 to the internet and my post-360 points got added in and my score jumped about 4,000 points and it set off the "number go up" pleasure center. I am constantly sad there was never an all achievements bonus like the Playstation's platinum trophy, it took me a whole weekend to get the last Tekken 6 achievement and I want an extra shiny thing for it dammit.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
I did get that Last Airbender game for 5 for the 1k gamer score in under 3 minutes. It was the principle of the thing.

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

You're a fucking cocksucker, Jonathan
I stand by what I said about achievements earlier in the thread, and how could I not with these testimonials?

Edit: Then there's the turbo-weirdos who tell indie developers that they won't buy their games unless they add in achievements. Incredibly broke-brained poo poo.

Mr Scumbag fucked around with this message at 08:05 on May 17, 2023

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Feels Villeneuve posted:

I am a freak.... for gaming!!!!!

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

:eyepop:
I enjoy achievements for the most part for the extra objectives/challenges they sometimes add to a game.

Lammasu posted:

I did get that Last Airbender game for 5 for the 1k gamer score in under 3 minutes. It was the principle of the thing.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure this was one of the games that kicked off the pay-for-gamerscore shovelware market currently plaguing the store :laugh:

Neco
Mar 13, 2005

listen
This is surprisingly hard to find out online so I ask here: Can I buy a game for xbox and just play it on Xbox cloud? I don‘t have an xbox.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Neco posted:

This is surprisingly hard to find out online so I ask here: Can I buy a game for xbox and just play it on Xbox cloud? I don‘t have an xbox.
Not at the moment, but planned for the future. Currently you can only play Xbox Cloud through the Game Pass Ultimate subscription.

Neco
Mar 13, 2005

listen
I‘ll keep my money then. Thanks! There‘s more than enough games on the subscription anyway. :-)

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

Mr Scumbag posted:

Edit: Then there's the turbo-weirdos who tell indie developers that they won't buy their games unless they add in achievements. Incredibly broke-brained poo poo.

There's also gamers who refuse to buy games with achievements, and even developers who hate them (old Minecraft, Don't Starve). Broke brains all around, just play games and have fun. :shrug:

The Diddler
Jun 22, 2006

Sywert of Thieves posted:

just play games and have fun. :shrug:

ew, no

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

Mad ‘bout cheevos