Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: 16-bit Butt-Head)

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

he's getting stupider, it's fascinating to watch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Demon Of The Fall posted:

who the gently caress is bellingcat

journalism provided by someone who never leaves the house , only reads twitter, and then reposts what they read on Twitter to twitter. it was revolutionary at the time.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

spacemang_spliff posted:

lol you don't shake a martini it's like the one drink you're not supposed to shake

it's from da movie

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

some kinda jackal posted:

It’s like.. how much more pro-Semite could I be? And the answer is none. None more pro-Semite.

they call me prosemite sam

pink noise
Jun 24, 2022

spacemang_spliff posted:

lol you don't shake a martini it's like the one drink you're not supposed to shake

you might as well if you make them with vodka

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

it's from da movie

all that and gargantua 2 was a special, the movie comes out in a couple months!!!!

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

World War Mammories posted:

all that and gargantua 2 was a special, the movie comes out in a couple months!!!!

you mothafucka

nikosoft
Dec 17, 2011

ghost in the shell, but somehow much worse
College Slice
not much, who the gently caress is bellingcat with you

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
please ban all bellingcat discussion as posting about posters. thank yo u

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Schmoe Cwead posted:

what kinda maniac toasts frozen bread? extremely hosed up behavior

I like to bake a lot, but live by myself so I don't eat enough bread that it wouldn't go stale. When I make a loaf of bread I pre-slice it and put it in the freezer, just put a slice in the toaster and it thaws and toasts just fine as long as the slice is thin enough. Bagels and rolls I let sit out on the counter for 20 minutes or so to thaw first.

speaking of bagels, here's some I made for Mother's Day brunch

Norton
Feb 18, 2006

Sir Tonk posted:

he's getting stupider, it's fascinating to watch

the internet seems to have that effect on people

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

pink noise posted:

you might as well if you make them with vodka

lol imagine drinking unfinished gin

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!

Sickening posted:

journalism provided by someone who never leaves the house , only reads twitter, and then reposts what they read on Twitter to twitter. it was revolutionary at the time.

It got him a job on the CIA

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

classic dumb guy thought

"oh you think i'm anti something? actually i'm pro it"

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

like when trump defended Steve Bannon as being alt right by calling him alt left

goth smoking cloves
Feb 28, 2011

Pro? Anti? I prefer the term Somite

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Elon Musk doubles-down on Tesla robotaxis in TV interview

https://arstechnica.com/cars/2023/05/elon-musk-doubles-down-on-tesla-robotaxis-in-tv-interview/

quote:

On Tuesday afternoon, after the close of the stock market, Tesla held its annual meeting. Tesla CEO Elon Musk told rapturous attendees that 2023 would finally see the Cybertruck go into production and that an example of the angular stainless-steel pickup would be his daily driver. He also confirmed some previously reported facts, like a move to reduce silicon carbide power electronics in drive units, then gave a presentation on the company's humanoid robotics program.

Following the annual meeting, Musk sat down for an interview with David Faber on CNBC. In the interview, Musk was questioned on a number of topics concerning Tesla.

TV spots for Tesla commercials?

During Tesla's annual meeting, and in response to shareholders, Musk conceded that perhaps Tesla should engage in more formal advertising.

"Perhaps there is some good logic to it in that if we're simply saying yeah, information bias, say that it has a Twitter account on my Twitter account or someone preaching to the converted. And, and not reaching people that are not already convinced, essentially. So I think they probably have a good point. Well, I mean, I think it's worth a try, and we'll see how effective it is," Musk said.

When pressed to elaborate on what form Tesla advertising might take—Faber speculated whether he might see Tesla adverts played during NFL games—Musk admitted there was no prior thought or strategy behind the decision, the decision was taken on stage.

But the Tesla CEO did see some wisdom in advertising, noting that some people have false expectations of Tesla cars being very expensive. Then, on the topic of statistics, Musk repeated his claims that Tesla's cars are the safest on the road.

"So I think you know the statistics speak for themselves," he told CNBC, perhaps not referring to all the federal safety investigations into Tesla's driver assists, nor the statistic that Tesla cars have been subject to more official safety recalls than any other make or model by some margin. (The Tesla Model Y is 15.6 times more likely to be recalled than the industry average.)

Musk checks orders daily

Musk told Faber that he checks the volume of new orders daily to see what mix of cars need to be built. This probably explains the erratic series of price decreases and increases we've seen since the beginning of the year. "We’re basically adjusting our pricing to match demand. And we obviously did a big price drop in Q1, but quickly, now January, it’s usually a terrible time for car buying. So there's the seasonality to car purchases with January. January is often the worst month so so we did a big price drop and then recently, we did a price increase," Musk said.

Despite this attention to detail, for the last few quarters Tesla has consistently built thousands more cars than it can sell, ending Q1 2023 with a surplus of about 9,000 expensive and undesirable Models S and X, as well as a similar number of cheaper, more in-demand Models 3 and Y.

Breaking the laws of economics

Musk has repeatedly said that Tesla's fate is tied to its driver-assistance features, and during the CNBC interview he yet again repeated claims that Teslas would become appreciating assets, roaming the streets night and day earning money—split between Tesla and the car's owner—as robotaxis.

"Well, the utility of a car, typically a passenger car is going to be maybe 10, 10 hours a week, maybe 12. If you say like somebody's going to drive an hour and a half a day, on average, so maybe an hour commute per day and then an occasional long trip but figure it's like 10, 12 hours a week is typical for a passenger vehicle. And then you also have a lot of costs associated with parking. You need a garage or you've got to buy a parking space or you've got to get a parking ticket at the mall. There's a lot of costs associated with cars. And now if you've got a car that's autonomous, that can go around and essentially be like an autonomous Uber, the utility I think is going to be what's gonna be much higher perhaps, you know, and this again, there’s so much speculative," he told Faber.

Despite Musk then saying that the terms and conditions of using one's Tesla as a robotaxi have been set for some time—stating that this is only permissible through an official Tesla robotaxi network—Musk could not tell Faber how much of a cut his company would demand. Musk then went on to quote industry analysis by the firm Ark Invest, which repeatedly publishes outlandish predictions about Tesla's future share price.

Autopilot—real soon now (fr fr no cap)

When asked about a timeline for fully autonomous-driving Teslas, Musk told Faber that "it does look like it's gonna happen this year."

"We're now at the point where the car can drive on highways and in cities with and where a human dimension is extremely rare. So I mean, just—I was able to drive for several days, just dropping a navigation pin in random locations in the Greater Austin area with no interventions. And the same in San Francisco, which is a very difficult place to drive. So I mean, it's—you’ve got bus lanes, one-way streets. You know, it's quite a challenging homeless situation," Musk said.

However, Tesla has taken a very different tone when talking with regulators as opposed to journalists, telling the California Department of Motor Vehicles that, despite the name "Full Self-Driving," Tesla does not consider the software actually capable of autonomous driving and that it did not expect to make "significant enhancements" to the system, which "will continue to be an SAE Level 2, advanced driver-assistance feature," always requiring the driver to maintain control and, significantly, liability.

purestrain trump

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
musk should get into broadway musicals

ohrwurm
Jun 25, 2003

bellendcat

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

of driving in San francisco:
You know, it's quite a challenging homeless situation," Musk said.

Jesus Christ

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

Elon Musk doubles-down on Tesla robotaxis in TV interview

https://arstechnica.com/cars/2023/05/elon-musk-doubles-down-on-tesla-robotaxis-in-tv-interview/

purestrain trump

lmao what is this word salad

a complete loving moron posted:

"Perhaps there is some good logic to it in that if we're simply saying yeah, information bias, say that it has a Twitter account on my Twitter account or someone preaching to the converted. And, and not reaching people that are not already convinced, essentially. So I think they probably have a good point. Well, I mean, I think it's worth a try, and we'll see how effective it is," Musk said.

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

ohrwurm posted:

bellendcat

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Demon Of The Fall posted:

who the gently caress is bellingcat
D&D's Bureau of Investigation

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

the angel cat, cat turd, the devil cat, belling cat

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

:shroom: tripping balls :shroom:

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

"i dunno, we'll see how it goes!" says guy who rushed the launch of a rocket ship that he said had a 50/50 chance of blowing up to be on 4/20

Jon Irenicus
Apr 23, 2008

YO ASSHOLE

yeah nothing immediately happened after 2007 that might have some important implications for family planning

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Jon Irenicus posted:

yeah nothing immediately happened after 2007 that might have some important implications for family planning
That's right OP, we're talking about the election of Barack Hussein Obamna

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

some kinda jackal posted:

It’s like.. how much more pro-Semite could I be? And the answer is none. None more pro-Semite.

All pro-Semite

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
Elon thinking extremely hard and wondering if maybe car advertising could be effective.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

i got a good idea for a meme. you take that video of him taking 30 seconds to answer a question and put a buffering symbol over it. then you have a AI voice generator do elon voice and have it say "i can't do this"

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Elon is using new emojis good for him

ELTON JOHN
Feb 17, 2014
even if a tesla can go 99.999% of the time without driver intervention, youll still have to be ready to take control at any moment thus defeating the entire purpose lmao

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

ELTON JOHN posted:

even if a tesla can go 99.999% of the time without driver intervention, youll still have to be ready to take control at any moment, thus defeating the entire purpose lmao

just have one guy driving 1000 tesla's remotely duh

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

[img]And the same in San Francisco, which is a very difficult place to drive. So I mean, it’s—you’ve got bus lanes, one-way streets. You know, it’s quite a challenging homeless situation,” Musk said.[/img]

lmao

ELTON JOHN
Feb 17, 2014

euphronius posted:

[timg]And the same in San Francisco, which is a very difficult place to drive. So I mean, it’s—you’ve got bus lanes, one-way streets. You know, it’s quite a challenging homeless situation,” Musk said.[/timg]

lmao

jesus christ he is worthless

ELTON JOHN
Feb 17, 2014
hell yeah tho keep changing the tags and the text will become an image

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
I think this Musk guy kinda sucks.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Pro-Semite Sam