Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

thebardyspoon posted:

I think the idea of the PVE, and it has become clear now that it was at best an idea, was that it'd be a co-op left 4 dead style thing with a bit more depth to the bosses and such and then skill trees for the heroes that'd let you get really nuts upgrades and changes to their playstyle, probably somewhat to make the more selfish characters work better in a 4 player co-op setting.

It's easy to see a world where, with competent development and if it'd come out in a timely fashion when Overwatch was huge, that'd have been a phenomenon. People still play horde game modes even years after they've stopped supporting the game so something like that could have had people playing for years. From a cynical pov it'd have been a vector for selling skins as well.

Even the launch of OW2 seemed to give it a bit of a shot in the arm so it wasn't too late even at that point.

On this excellent point about it being a left 4 dead kinda deal, , I do wonder how much of them killing it off has come from how there was a huge buzz around co-op PVE shooters - remember a year ago how every game in every console showcase was a 4 player co-op FPS - and now those games have mostly come and fizzled away. So I could see this having been greenlit at the same time as all those other games, but then maybe canned when 2022 didn’t go too well for all those other games. Who knows!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

The amount of people here interested in OW pve is honestly baffling to me. Fighting generic robots endlessly like it is some sort of c-tier capeshit movie is just hella boring imo, especially when you have so many different characters already :confuoot:

yeah those event missions are decently fun for 1 or 2 times maybe i suppose idk

anyway, lmao blizzard you fuckups

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

It's also hard for me to reconcile ~LORE~ with a game that looks like the inside of a pinball machine

Lord Packinham
Dec 30, 2006
:<
Man, wait till these guys find out how many RTS players just play the campaign, or CoD, or Halo, or basically any other game.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

heard u like girls posted:

The amount of people here interested in OW pve is honestly baffling to me. Fighting generic robots endlessly like it is some sort of c-tier capeshit movie is just hella boring imo, especially when you have so many different characters already :confuoot:

yeah those event missions are decently fun for 1 or 2 times maybe i suppose idk

anyway, lmao blizzard you fuckups

It's also hard for me to reconcile ~LORE~ with a game that looks like the inside of a pinball machine

I agree. I only play the most realistic and the most competitive games.
There's just no value in singleplayer and stylized games. They're for babies.

imagine dungeons
Jan 24, 2008

Like an arrow, I was only passing through.
Co-op pve peaked at Mass Effect 3 multiplayer.

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

Jack Trades posted:

I agree. I only play the most realistic and the most competitive games.
There's just no value in singleplayer and stylized games. They're for babies.

:rolleyes:

absolutely,

Lord Packinham posted:

Man, wait till these guys find out how many RTS players just play the campaign, or CoD, or Halo, or basically any other game.

Indeed there are a bazillion other games you could play that have interesting single player content, that's why i dont understand the hype for OW pve, which to me, was boring compared to playing other games or game-modes.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Brendan Rodgers posted:

This has all been incredibly predictable. All that remains now is for the court cases by the teams/franchises to kill OWL once and for all. It's funny to look back at how happy DPS players were on release. There's a consolation prize though; they could just go play any of the hundreds of FPS games that don't have healers or tanks. They always existed.
ow is one of the few remaining popular fps games where controllers don't dominate at the most common and important engagement ranges

Lord Packinham
Dec 30, 2006

absolutely,

Indeed there are a bazillion other games you could play that have interesting single player content, that's why i dont understand the hype for OW pve, which to me, was boring compared to playing other games or game-modes.

Well, I would argue that most people don’t seem to like the pvp in OW2 that much. It’s doing fine but without the PvE, the game will probably just fade into obscurity.

If OW2 doesn’t have pve then it’s just a mediocre team shooter with bad balancing.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
I feel like the gooniest take possible is always something along the lines of “i don’t want it, therefore I have no possible way of understanding why other people would want it, despite the fact that it is massively popular and there is no shortage of people explaining exactly why they want it. Everyone besides me is wrong and stupid.”

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

absolutely,

I enjoyed Retribution and in a just world it would have been iterated on in terms of level flow and in-game storytelling. Storm Warning was a linear and weirdly short follow up that seemed to mainly be a tech demo for storm weather effects

Lord Packinham
Dec 30, 2006
I don’t know if this is better or worse than WC3 reforged.

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

I feel like the gooniest thing is meta posting about made up opinions

Regardless i love playing this game with my buddies and am considering playing ranked with a friend, for shits and giggles and hopefully less game-leavers on average.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Lord Packinham posted:

I don’t know if this is better or worse than WC3 reforged.

It might have gone the same way if PvE had been released. But since it got canceled - despite Blizzard themselves saying that OW2 was going to EVENTUALLY have a proper PvE mode/campaign and all - it's a double whammy of a lazy effort doing it AND walking back on their word.

That said, I think I remember hearing that it would have attempted to command a $60 price tag for the mode and updates to the mode.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

The Grumbles posted:

I feel like the gooniest take possible is always something along the lines of “i don’t want it, therefore I have no possible way of understanding why other people would want it, despite the fact that it is massively popular and there is no shortage of people explaining exactly why they want it. Everyone besides me is wrong and stupid.”

I mean you can want it, its just weird that people are so into tacked on PvE rather than a game that'd actually be designed for it. I assume you'd be hoping blizzard actually put effort into it but that's not exactly something i'd have ever counted on.

But also I think all the holiday PvE modes were crap so :shrug: Not my thing.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
People liked the holiday pve and event pves a lot. They liked the idea of OW gameplay vs static opponents and mounting waves of enemies instead of the pvp.

All they wanted Blizzard to do was expand those events into multiple stages with the pve talent trees (customization in play style and replayability) with more mission types, set pieces and an enemy roster. Of note is that Blizz has famously done this before. There's a lot of overlap with the design space of SC2 co-op for example.

It's not that complicated to understand. :shrug:

"But it's so basic!!" Simple games like Vampire Survivors launched a genre and a thousand contenders. If people tell you they want X and will give you money then X is valid business. If Blizzard announced they were making OW2 for pve, please bear with them for 3 years and then just discarded it that doesn't make the people mad about this weirdos who wanted some halfbaked gamemode. They wanted Blizzard to take their proof of concept that got positive reception and expand it.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Doomykins posted:

People liked the holiday pve and event pves a lot. They liked the idea of OW gameplay vs static opponents and mounting waves of enemies instead of the pvp.

All they wanted Blizzard to do was expand those events into multiple stages with the pve talent trees (customization in play style and replayability) with more mission types, set pieces and an enemy roster. Of note is that Blizz has famously done this before. There's a lot of overlap with the design space of SC2 co-op for example.

"But it's so basic!!" Simple games like Vampire Survivors launched a genre and a thousand contenders. If people tell you they want X and will give you money then X is valid business. If Blizzard announced they were making OW2 for pve, please bear with them for 3 years and then just discarded it that doesn't make the people mad about this weirdos who wanted some halfbaked gamemode. They wanted Blizzard to take their proof of concept that got positive reception and expand it.

I mean, yeah, I get all this. I just don't get things like "Of note is that Blizz has famously done this before. There's a lot of overlap with the design space of SC2 co-op for example.".

How long ago was that? Blizz doesn't have the same team working on it and this is the third attempt at a PVE shooter that's failed (Ghost and Titan were the other two). I didn't really have faith in it, hence my confusion. I'd much rather go with a company that is actively developing this stuff as a focus rather than an offshoot.

So yeah, I think it's a bit weird that people had faith in blizzard, but i've been laughing at them for like 6 years at this point since they killed the monthly melee's and then had literally nothing for a year before launching OWL, which if I recall they're getting sued for by the investors. Their track record with overwatch (and shooters in general) is loving abysmal.

Also, as of note, i said its weird that people were into the idea of blizzard doing it, not that people were weirdos for wanting the mode. There is an important difference there. This isn't a personal attack.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

Y'know, what if Blizzard could outsource it instead of killing it?

... Nah, they'd need Microsoft's money for that at this point.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
I guess FPS is a significant difference for the devs but the idea of making a bunch of set challenges of enemy targets to obliterate in interesting ways is their bread and butter across the company. StarCraft, Warcraft, WoW, Diablo, Heroes, even Hearthstone does it. They had Team Fort 2 and the post L4D2 renaissance of horde shooters to uh, take homage from.

It is weird and funny to have faith in Blizzard these days but drat I didn't think a boiler plate "escalating series of horde shooter/light tower defense maps where you're the towers" was beyond them. I'd expect and have played AA indie titles that pulled it off. Orcs Must Die debuted 12 years ago!

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

sube posted:

Curious if OW will even deliver the event/mission PvE they are still promising now. What a waste

Well it's OW1 so I fully expect them to deliver 2-3 half-assed coop missions over the course of the next 5-6 years.

celewign
Jul 11, 2015

just get us in the playoffs

comedyblissoption posted:

ow is one of the few remaining popular fps games where controllers don't dominate at the most common and important engagement ranges

Can you expand on this?

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

The Grumbles posted:

TBH I just think there are core problems with the design of Overwatch that make it fundamentally unbalanceable. It’s like if DOTA didn’t have items.

I think it might have stood a chance had they been a bit more careful in the design of new heroes, and had they not tried to ruthlessly follow the esports golden goose.

this reminds me that when the OW League started, they didn't even have a spectator mode in the game. Just insane stuff

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Doomykins posted:

Yeah I have no idea what's so hard to understand about people wanting a co-op campaign (as promised by Blizzard) with the stable of beloved characters from Overwatch. Seems like a solid idea to be honest. Whether it was going to be good or not is a different story, but people were definitely interested in a more dedicated campaign.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Think of it this way. Your noted town fuckup who was really good 20 years ago tells you that this time, this time he's got a good idea. He's definitely gonna pull through this time.

He hasn't pulled through in the past 7 years. In fact, he's just been failing over and over again in more and more spectacular ways. Would you also not be surprised that someone believed him rather than going "haha, yeah Pete, you'll definitely get it this time". The thing is, people will still be a bit hype for blizzards next project that they'll fuckup and we'll have this conversation again.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

There's the survival game they've been working on for years now, that'll restart the Blizzard hype cycle once again.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

dogstile posted:

Think of it this way. Your noted town fuckup who was really good 20 years ago tells you that this time, this time he's got a good idea. He's definitely gonna pull through this time.

He hasn't pulled through in the past 7 years. In fact, he's just been failing over and over again in more and more spectacular ways. Would you also not be surprised that someone believed him rather than going "haha, yeah Pete, you'll definitely get it this time". The thing is, people will still be a bit hype for blizzards next project that they'll fuckup and we'll have this conversation again.

They just stated in an interview that they are very confident on Diablo 4's launch

https://www.eurogamer.net/blizzard-really-confident-of-smooth-diablo-4-launch-following-server-stress-tests

Which is like, I don't know why anyone would actually believe this when I want to say most if not all of their last releases were broken in some form on launch. I couldn't even play OW2 the day it launched because of issues.

E: What I'm trying to say is that if people are still going to take Blizzard at their word when they haven't delivered on that in over a decade are delusional. Are newer and younger fans going to care? Idk Maybe the current installbase, but when does everyone's patience/good will for Blizzard run out?

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Edit: I actually have no idea, i'm tired. I'm going to bed, lol

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

dogstile posted:

Honestly i missed the sarcasm in your first post so that's my bad, lol

Lol you're good its still morning

Dick Jones
Jun 20, 2002

Number 2 Guy at OCP

One thing's for sure, this PvE rugpull is an indirect confirmation of another widely held suspicion: Loser's queue is real

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

The REAL Goobusters posted:

They just stated in an interview that they are very confident on Diablo 4's launch

https://www.eurogamer.net/blizzard-really-confident-of-smooth-diablo-4-launch-following-server-stress-tests

Which is like, I don't know why anyone would actually believe this when I want to say most if not all of their last releases were broken in some form on launch. I couldn't even play OW2 the day it launched because of issues.

E: What I'm trying to say is that if people are still going to take Blizzard at their word when they haven't delivered on that in over a decade are delusional. Are newer and younger fans going to care? Idk Maybe the current installbase, but when does everyone's patience/good will for Blizzard run out?

Doing their server stress test the same weekend the new Zelda launched was a genius move to generate promising results.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

celewign posted:

Can you expand on this?
in a lot of popular fps games these days fighting a controller player at close range is fighting a soft aimbot that way outclasses an mnk player at the same point in the skill bell curve

the only games not overrun by this problem are tacfps style games and overwatch

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

Lead Pipe Cinch posted:

Doing their server stress test the same weekend the new Zelda launched was a genius move to generate promising results.

Can you crucify a quest giver in Diablo IV? Clearly not. :colbert:

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Yeah I have no idea what's so hard to understand about people wanting a co-op campaign (as promised by Blizzard) with the stable of beloved characters from Overwatch. Seems like a solid idea to be honest. Whether it was going to be good or not is a different story, but people were definitely interested in a more dedicated campaign.
Also if it was a bad idea the thing to do would be to say, as early as possible, "This is a bad idea and we're not going to do it".

Not, you know, shut down your existing game entirely, force everyone who wants to keep playing to migrate to a new version, sweeten the deal with the promise of a big new feature, say for three years that the big new feature is definitely happening, and then rugpull at the last minute. That's a good way to convince your playerbase that you're all just liars, lol

edit: but as others have said, basically par for the course for modern Blizzard

Zephro fucked around with this message at 17:31 on May 17, 2023

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

celewign posted:

Can you expand on this?
you know how hard it is to track ad strafes in overwatch?

well this is what you get in other games with literally zero aim input which is why i still play overwatch lol
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZP-46sou8o&t=18s

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

comedyblissoption posted:

you know how hard it is to track ad strafes in overwatch?

well this is what you get in other games with literally zero aim input which is why i still play overwatch lol
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZP-46sou8o&t=18s

lol holy poo poo

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

lol holy poo poo

to give a hard example of this: every single professional apex legends player has switched to controller because the advantage it provides is insurmountable, even for the absolute best of the best KB+M players out there

not using it is the equivalent of, like, trying to play on 120ms in other online games

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
AA is fine for console V console, but maybe disable that stuff for PC or mixed platform? or tune it better.

or maybe microsoft should stop being a holdout and have motion/gyro controllers

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

PhazonLink posted:

AA is fine for console V console, but maybe disable that stuff for PC or mixed platform? or tune it better.

or maybe microsoft should stop being a holdout and have motion/gyro controllers

As much as I hate aiming to be the key skill in a game, that looks absolutely unfun.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

yeah COD was a joke when you vs console, like the aimbot would stick through cover/walls stuff like that so you'd know where enemies are too