Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

I have a Sturmey Archer hub. It's like a Rohloff hub but heavy and lovely
Yeah the Rohloff is the only derailleur-level internal hub, but a sturmey archer or similar is probably fine in most situations. I’ve been wanting a rohloff forever but can’t really justify the huge price.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

skooma512 posted:

You’re basically required to have them in much of country.

there are like already 20 million more cars in the USA than there are adults

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

webcams for christ posted:

there are like already 20 million more cars in the USA than there are adults

Cars work hard every day to increase that ratio.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

once we have self-driving cars with automated repair facilities the economy will not require humans to exist at all!

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!

Clark Nova posted:

once we have self-driving cars with automated repair facilities the economy will not require humans to exist at all!

we'd still need to make autonomous e-bikes so that they can get run down by the self-driving cars and we also need a robocop to console the AI motorist

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

webcams for christ posted:

lol prices and interest rates are doing nothing to reduce Americans' appetite for new death machines

https://twitter.com/lizannsonders/status/1658760535012171776

imho americans have normalized financial doom. when practically everyone is in insane debt who cares anymore? even a lifetime of steadfast fiscal responsibility isn't enough to guarantee a good QoL, so what's the point, just buy stuff and put it on the card

UKJeff
May 17, 2023

by vyelkin
I saw a guy driving a steamroller on the sidewalk. Turns out he had too many DUIs and that’s the only way he can get to work

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

UKJeff posted:

I saw a guy driving a steamroller on the sidewalk. Turns out he had too many DUIs and that’s the only way he can get to work

that’s not a steamroller. it’s a double smooth drum vibratory compactor

smdh

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

UKJeff posted:

They changed the law at some point but when I lived in South Carolina many years ago people with DUIs would by/ride mopeds because they didn’t require a license to operate on the streets (or maybe that was just an urban legend I never actually looked into whether it was true, but definitely people who got DUIs would buy/ride them with some frequency)

UKJeff
May 17, 2023

by vyelkin

Xaris posted:

smdh

:negative:

HashtagGirlboss posted:

They changed the law at some point but when I lived in South Carolina many years ago people with DUIs would by/ride mopeds because they didn’t require a license to operate on the streets (or maybe that was just an urban legend I never actually looked into whether it was true, but definitely people who got DUIs would buy/ride them with some frequency)

Around here you can get a DUI on a friggin bike .. MADD has gone too far

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

UKJeff posted:

There are states where you can get arrested for mowing your lawn, intoxicated, just minding your own business in your backyard going in circles on the riding mower

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

UKJeff posted:

Yeah where I live now you can get one on pretty much anything with wheels but also the local police stopped enforcing them during the Floyd protests

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

500excf type r posted:

There are states where you can get arrested for mowing your lawn, intoxicated, just minding your own business in your backyard going in circles on the riding mower

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
new atrocities every single day

at least they got hte long bed with the long cab and long hood lmao

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

Gunshow Poophole posted:

new atrocities every single day

at least they got hte long bed with the long cab and long hood lmao

haha wow

at some point cities have to realize that they can say no to these things. they don't have to allow people to drive tank-sized cars around. if it sucks, tell it to hit da bricks

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

UKJeff posted:

Xaris posted:

smdh

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Mauser posted:

we'd still need to make autonomous e-bikes so that they can get run down by the self-driving cars and we also need a robocop to console the AI motorist

Americans are going to hate self driving cars because they can’t attack other people with cars anymore

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

skooma512 posted:

Americans are going to hate self driving cars because they can’t attack other people with cars anymore

We're finally going to have some real world tests of the trolley problem. The answer is they're too busy playing Zelda on their consoles to make a choice.

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

skooma512 posted:

Based on the current state of 'self driving' cars the only only thing they'll miss is that they can't control the attacks themselves, they just get to witness them as a passenger instead.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Electro-Boogie Jack posted:

at some point cities have to realize that they can say no to these things. they don't have to allow people to drive tank-sized cars around. if it sucks, tell it to hit da bricks

Buddy you don't even have to tell cars to hit da bricks anymore, they'll take the initiative themselves.

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

A MIRACLE posted:

you know what’s also explosive is gas engines and electric motors and they start fires all the time bro

Those are not explosive you DUNDERHEAD.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

https://twitter.com/FOS/status/1658483479150211072

FlutieFlake
Nov 5, 2017

Wow, that is slightly larger than the average new pickup truck!

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Gonna be honest, im super shocked people dont get run down at the airport more often. People are more pissed in airport pickup/drop off traffic than i've ever seen anywhere

https://twitter.com/astoneabcnews/status/1658948376954826752?s=20

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Weka posted:

Those are not explosive you DUNDERHEAD.

What do you think "internal combustion engine" means

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Simon is the monkey's name
Like sure, it's deflagrating not detonating, but it's still explosions all the way through that engine.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
https://twitter.com/ABC7Chicago/status/1658673740039835648?s=20

Funny to see the people who are whining in the comments.

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

Boywhiz88 posted:

https://twitter.com/ABC7Chicago/status/1658673740039835648?s=20

Funny to see the people who are whining in the comments.

6-10 mph is not 'slightly' over the speed limit wtf?

BeeSeeBee
Oct 25, 2007

You see, everybody gives themselves the freeway 5 and then just extends that on down to everything including school zones.

silicone thrills posted:

Gonna be honest, im super shocked people dont get run down at the airport more often. People are more pissed in airport pickup/drop off traffic than i've ever seen anywhere

I imagine that airports have some of the highest concentrations of bollards anywhere in north america, every drop-off/pickup is chock full of the beauties.

BeeSeeBee has issued a correction as of 00:40 on May 18, 2023

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

the internet tells me that the statutory speed limit is 30 mph so going ten mph over is 33% over lol. that's a lot!

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

it's very relaxing doing just under the speed limit, more people should try it. if you tell people this they get enraged though. i don't understand why.

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

lobster shirt posted:

the internet tells me that the statutory speed limit is 30 mph so going ten mph over is 33% over lol. that's a lot!

putting it in that perspective makes the complaints so funny. you can just not get tickets! all you have to do is slow down! but you have a legion of drivers in every city and every suburb grinding their teeth as they pay another $150 ticket because on their car-addled state they simply can't fathom that these tickets are entirely optional.

granted i don't drive very much but DC has a ton of cameras and i've never been ticketed by one. but you talk to someone else and it's like they live in an alternate universe where getting rear end-blasted by speed cameras on a regular basis is an inevitability and not something they signed up for when they decided to keep ignoring all the signs telling them how fast to go, even though in DC they get 10 mph of speeding for free!

google maps even says "speed trap reported ahead" but it's a 25 mph road that's been 25 mph the entire time and there's a camera that'll go off if you're doing 36 or more. that isn't a trap! that's just you speeding!

Electro-Boogie Jack has issued a correction as of 03:44 on May 18, 2023

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

SimonSays posted:

Like sure, it's deflagrating not detonating, but it's still explosions all the way through that engine.

Sounds to me like the petrol is exploding not the engine. :smug:

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Local media has a term, "overspeeding", which suggests that there's a regular kind of speeding

Square Peg
Nov 11, 2008

Cities could also design urban streets to be functionally different from highways (wide lanes, straight, large shoulders, etc) so drivers aren't psychologically encouraged to drive way too fast.

BeeSeeBee
Oct 25, 2007

There was a town in Italy that also did the speed camera thing, and the results were absurd.

https://www.npr.org/2018/11/19/669234810/italian-village-installs-speed-cameras-records-58-000-infractions-in-2-weeks

"Alessandri said the problem was that, with three main routes connecting the neighbouring Piedmont region to Italy's northern coast, the route through Acquetico was the best for those looking to avoid speed bumps, cameras, or tolls."

And it's already a narrow, windy, countryside road, so sure add some traffic calming, but it also seems like people will just find alternative ways to be awful. Car brain cannot be overstated.

https://www.google.com/maps/@44.0543653,7.8895209,3a,75y,329.86h,85.39t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sTYPESCOqTXSC9ydPdhiZlA!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

Leroy Diplowski
Aug 25, 2005

The Candyman Can :science:

Visit My Candy Shop

And SA Mart Thread

cat botherer posted:

Yeah the Rohloff is the only derailleur-level internal hub, but a sturmey archer or similar is probably fine in most situations. I’ve been wanting a rohloff forever but can’t really justify the huge price.

Alfine is what you're looking for

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

silicone thrills posted:

https://twitter.com/astoneabcnews/status/1658948376954826752?s=20

I think it really helps that cars are only moving in one direction. when you cross the street at an intersection you usually have to look out for them coming at you from at least four different directions

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

skooma512 posted:

100%

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
As long as its just cameras and they're placed as evenly as possible through whole cities, im extremely pro just automated slamming everyone speeding with tickets via mailing that poo poo to the registered location of your license plate.

No piggies involved.