Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut
I like getting achievements. The only ones I don't like are the online only ones, because 95% of the time they're discontinued or might as well be, and most of the rest of the time I'm just filtered out of them thanks to skill issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I got all the achievements in Sekiro and Elden Ring just because I loved those games and wanted an excuse to play more of them. but playing a game with the sole purpose of getting achievements is broke brained behavior, like those sickos that played the Avatar game is they'd get 1000 points in two minutes

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
I like it when achievements kinda serve as a punchline. Like in Wolfenstein II when you know it's instadeath but you kill Hitler anyway.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Wiltsghost posted:

Yeah, they have a bunch of studios there, they won't leave.

I imagine a lot of staff at Xbox studios in the UK would be overjoyed for the opportunity to relocate to a first world country, just like many others did following Brexit. Funny as heck seeing the UK government immediately start to lean on the CMA and ask them wtf they're doing though.

John F Bennett posted:

Quantum Break is awesome.

I remember seeing the E3 demo for that (the bridge fight thingy) which looked incredible at the time. Did the final game still look that good and have the awesome combat or did stuff get downgraded? The cracked glass effect and the way the environment was affected looked awesome.

TheScott2K posted:

I like it when achievements kinda serve as a punchline. Like in Wolfenstein II when you know it's instadeath but you kill Hitler anyway.

Doesn't Farcry 4 have that thing where if you actually do as you're told at the start of the game and wait for the dude to return an achievement pops up and you've completed it?

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Yeah, if you wait 15 minutes you get the alternate ending the villain comes back and allows you to spread your moms ashes next to their daughter's and you go home.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

All Ubisoft games should come with the ability to skip the torturous task of playing them.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

SUNKOS posted:

All Ubisoft games should come with the ability to skip the torturous task of playing them.

I'm trying to think of the funniest one to do this with. A Tom Clancy game where they just drone strike the bad guys is an obvious choice but I want a Just Dance game where you can choose to stay home and study instead of going out of the club.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Assassins Creed where the Animus crashes because of Windows update.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

CuddleCryptid posted:

I'm trying to think of the funniest one to do this with. A Tom Clancy game where they just drone strike the bad guys is an obvious choice but I want a Just Dance game where you can choose to stay home and study instead of going out of the club.

lofi beats to study to - the game

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

Fanatic posted:

I enjoy achievements for the most part for the extra objectives/challenges they sometimes add to a game.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure this was one of the games that kicked off the pay-for-gamerscore shovelware market currently plaguing the store :laugh:

I don't think you can blame all the shovelware on pay-for-gamerscore. The online Nintendo stores have always had plenty of that.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Are there a lot of those games on Xbox? The PlayStation has a huge series of $2 games that each one gets you a platinum trophy within 5 minutes. I love it because it completely invalidates the accomplishment of getting trophies/achievements.

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut
It feels like there's way more shovelware in the Playstation store but there's probably way more software too. Browsing the PS store during a big sale is miserable.

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

Grabbed Lost Odyssey since it was on sale and I never finished it when I last played it like 13 years ago on my 360. Bless the cloud save that was never deleted. I remember being really close to the end but was doing stuff for achievements. :newlol:

I broke the 100,000 mark earlier this year after having earned achievements on the 360 since 2007, skipping the MS ecosystem since getting a PS4, and returning with the Series X.

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

SUNKOS posted:

I imagine a lot of staff at Xbox studios in the UK would be overjoyed for the opportunity to relocate to a first world country, just like many others did following Brexit. Funny as heck seeing the UK government immediately start to lean on the CMA and ask them wtf they're doing though.

lol yeah, I just saw this, CMA getting pressure from everyone

https://twitter.com/AArmstrong_says/status/1658761998467756032?t=TtLj8YJZVG88oEcmZwpwwQ&s=19

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
the international community must send aid to Microsoft immediately. Ukraine can wait

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.

Sywert of Thieves posted:

There's also gamers who refuse to buy games with achievements, and even developers who hate them (old Minecraft, Don't Starve). Broke brains all around, just play games and have fun. :shrug:

Yes, people who think a little celebration when you do something fun have the same broken brains as Notch.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

I just looked up Jeremy Hunt and I can't even pronounce what he's the chancellor of.

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

Lammasu posted:

I just looked up Jeremy Hunt and I can't even pronounce what he's the chancellor of.

British for finance minister I think?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

he's the X-checker, making sure the Brits have something to play gamepass on

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Yeah, if you wait 15 minutes you get the alternate ending the villain comes back and allows you to spread your moms ashes next to their daughter's and you go home.
6 allows you to nope out but you have to get off tutorial island first. You can take a boat/aircraft towards the edge of the map and escape the civil war/revolution, then chill on a beach in Miami.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Feels Villeneuve posted:

the international community must send aid to Microsoft immediately. Ukraine can wait

:hmmyes:

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
The worst thing about achievements on modern xbox is the over produced audio for unlocking them. It sounds like the result of a focus grouped idea of what would generate the most dopamine in a human brain and I hate it. Everything in mainstream gaming is so extra and over stimulating and that one stupid sound effect illustrates it so perfectly.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

BurningBeard posted:

The worst thing about achievements on modern xbox is the over produced audio for unlocking them. It sounds like the result of a focus grouped idea of what would generate the most dopamine in a human brain and I hate it. Everything in mainstream gaming is so extra and over stimulating and that one stupid sound effect illustrates it so perfectly.

its the same noise as friends/favorites signing on or inviting you to a game. sorry the video game that uses audio cues makes you angry OP

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

I think XB1 adding wallpapers to achievements was a nice addition. Shame they're not really that visible on the Xbox dashboard but it's still cool nonetheless.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Beastie posted:

its the same noise as friends/favorites signing on or inviting you to a game. sorry the video game that uses audio cues makes you angry OP

I think they might be talking about the rare achievement notification.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPQGfg8st4E

It would be funny if that played as the default notification sound for everything. Should be an option IMO. There should also be an option to override that with your own custom sound so gamers can use the CoD MW2 level up sound for everything.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

SUNKOS posted:

I think XB1 adding wallpapers to achievements was a nice addition. Shame they're not really that visible on the Xbox dashboard but it's still cool nonetheless.

Looks like a coming dashboard update will be fixing that. Some developers actually put in some effort so that's nice, but tbh I don't think I will change my background from the Pentiment one, at least until Pentiment 2.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Pen2ment

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

ErrEff posted:

There should also be an option to override that with your own custom sound so gamers can use the CoD MW2 level up sound for everything.

This except it’s the World of Warcraft level up ding

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

hatty posted:

Pen2ment

Someone pass this along to rope kid

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

I guess it was originally supposed to be called Palimpsest. Doesn't roll off the tongue as well though.

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

:eyepop:

Lammasu posted:

I don't think you can blame all the shovelware on pay-for-gamerscore. The online Nintendo stores have always had plenty of that.

I'm more referring to devs/publishers who specifically target achievement hunters, such as Ratalaika and eastasiasoft whom the majority of their 300+ 'games' can get you 1000GS in 30min or less, and a certain group of people buy that poo poo up. :v:

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Professor Beetus posted:

Looks like a coming dashboard update will be fixing that. Some developers actually put in some effort so that's nice, but tbh I don't think I will change my background from the Pentiment one, at least until Pentiment 2.

That's good to hear, it's not a huge issue since seeing the dashboard is so brief anyways but I've taken some Forza screenshots I really like and love the artwork for Titanfall 1 as well.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Screenshots are plenty fine. Relying on developers to provide custom backgrounds will probably never pan out

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

New dashboard when? I want to do something cool with my screenshots

strategery
Apr 21, 2004
I come to you baring a gift. Its in my diper and its not a toaster.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

New dashboard when? I want to do something cool with my screenshots

I wish Xbox did the friends activity feed that Steam has (and ps4 had)

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

strategery posted:

I wish Xbox did the friends activity feed that Steam has (and ps4 had)

I thought there was some kind of feed. I haven't looked at it this generation though

Ah, it's a friend by friend thing

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Pretty sure you can click on a friend’s profile and see their recent achievements, but there’s no centralized list of all your friends.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Aw gently caress yeah :swoon:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZ6eFEjFfJ0

Page for the game mentions there being "Kameo" characters which sound like assists, and seems to be the big new addition to the fighting system and has the potential to be very cool. Apparently you select your Kameo character after choosing your fighter and I imagine they're probably akin to MvC assists without actual character switching.

Revealed roster so far is just the classic characters that are in every game, but it will be exciting to see what new designs they come up with or if some of the more interesting ones that MK11 skipped (D'Vorah, Ferra & Torr) make a return. Kameo characters present the opportunity for some of the bigger hitters like Goro & Motaro to be included without having to worry about entire move sets and balance I think so I'm excited to see how they handle it.

Oh, and Johnny Cage will have a Jean Claude Van Damme skin.

Mortal Kombat 1 launches in September. You need to preorder if you want access to Shang Tsung as well which is a dick move but the game will probably own and Xbox has a good refund policy at least.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

SUNKOS posted:

Mortal Kombat 1 launches in September. You need to preorder if you want access to Shang Tsung as well which is a dick move but the game will probably own and Xbox has a good refund policy at least.

This is almost certainly a timed exclusive, or something like you get it free by pre-ordering but it's paid post-launch.

Shao Khan was that way with MK11: he was like a $5 extra character that wasn't included in any non-pre-order edition until MK11 Ultimate was released as a bundle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

That's par for the course as far as fighting game grifts go.