Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Phy posted:

Every time I see the phrase"elaborate system of ropes and pulleys" I think of how Thomas "Leaded Gas and CFCs" Midgely died

Lol same

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
What is the actual trick and technique to get a heavy bike up on its centre stand? My vfr is the first bike that I owned that had one and surely there must be something I’m loving up because it can’t be that much effort by default right?

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

There is a knack to it, you push down on the stand with your foot and simultaneously pull upwards on a grab rail. It should just pop up onto the stand.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Supradog posted:

What is the actual trick and technique to get a heavy bike up on its centre stand? My vfr is the first bike that I owned that had one and surely there must be something I’m loving up because it can’t be that much effort by default right?

Push down with your foot while pulling backwards. Doing this:

knox_harrington posted:

There is a knack to it, you push down on the stand with your foot and simultaneously pull upwards on a grab rail. It should just pop up onto the stand.

is a great way to get a back injury

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Oh bore off

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

Slavvy posted:

Push down with your foot while pulling backwards. Doing this:

When I owned a (2010?) vstrom pushing foot down and pulling up on the frame was the way. Pulling backwards was harder than pulling up (and I could never pull backwards to get it up on the center stand up if the bike was pointing even slightly downhill). Maybe the shape of the center stand and the way it levers can vary.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Slavvy posted:

Push down with your foot while pulling backwards.

Not for every bike. My old goldwing was that way, my new one is for sure not. When I first bought it I fought and struggled with it for a week before I finally googled how to do it. You push down on the stand and pull up on the rear grab bar while holding the handlebar. Pulling back on the bars on that bike:

Slavvy posted:

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 14:12 on May 17, 2023

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

for the vfr - i kinda fully stand on it while lifting a bit

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!
My Royal Alloy scooter has a center stand and it takes just enough effort to get it started that I end up using too much force and sort of flinging it on to it.

The OEM center stand kit for the Bonneville was on back order last time I looked and by all accounts the TEC one out there is crap, so I’ve been putting that off but I think it’s inevitable. I get by fine with our cheap Harbor Freight jack, but I know I’m going to be real happy I have that stand (or real sad I don’t have it) the first time something goes wrong while I’m far from home.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Push the center stand down until it touches the ground and hold it there.

Hold the left bar grip with your left hand, and with your right hand grab the passenger grab strap, frame spar, rear subframe, or any other suitable handhold.

Pull backwards with your right hand on whatever handhold you have got, while using your left to keep the bike from falling over. The bike will pop onto the center stand with no trouble.

Lifting upwards doesn't work. The key is to pull backwards.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
I let the vee roll backwards and once that baby hits 1-2 mph I just kick down that center stand as hard as possible.
Bam, bike in the dirt.

Sorry I have no idea how to use a center stand

the above method has worked tho

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

A center stand pivots on its axis. Pushing the stand into the ground and pulling backwards seems the best method to me. I’ve only ever parked small scooters on a center stand, but that’s how I do it.

Llewellyn
Jul 26, 2010
My dads friend who bikes worked at osha, I’ll ask him sometime. I pull up with my right hand on the grab bar (with my hands ready to keep it stable once it goes back) but most of my force is going through my foot.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

_________===D ~ ~ _\____/

I originally would get the bike on the centerstand by rolling the bike backward and rapidly jabbing the center stand down to the pavement hard enough to make it bite while letting the bike's momentum carry it up and onto the stand. At some point I figured out that you can weight the center stand's pedal, grab the rear and spread the two, but that is indeed a back strain at a contorted position which is asking for trouble. They probably all have a sweet spot somewhere between.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

Beve Stuscemi posted:

Not for every bike. My old goldwing was that way, my new one is for sure not. When I first bought it I fought and struggled with it for a week before I finally googled how to do it. You push down on the stand and pull up on the rear grab bar while holding the handlebar. Pulling back on the bars on that bike:

If any bike ever comes with a powered centerstand, I'd expect it to be a Goldwing.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Nidhg00670000 posted:

If any bike ever comes with a powered centerstand, I'd expect it to be a Goldwing.

I genuinely don't know why this isn't a thing and I kind of expect it to happen if the big tourers continue the trend of getting bigger and fatter. It's something I can see being favorably received on the rocket 3 for example.

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_7zHy9jn4k

Alan Millyard's V8 bike has a centre stand with a ratcheting mechanism that you pump a couple times with your feet to slowly make it get onto the stand. It, of course, has a special little storage space for the ratcheting spanner under the seat.

Captain McAllister
May 24, 2001

LimaBiker posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_7zHy9jn4k

Alan Millyard's V8 bike has a centre stand with a ratcheting mechanism that you pump a couple times with your feet to slowly make it get onto the stand. It, of course, has a special little storage space for the ratcheting spanner under the seat.

Before watching the clip, my first mental image was of a bunch of boomers on Goldwings in a parking lot, helping each other to hand crank their centerstands like the crew of the Memphis Belle.

Vino
Aug 11, 2010
Hello, mostly the same people in other threads except now it’s this thread. Nice to see you here in this, a different thread. I’m still a new biker and I therefore have a question.

I am scared of the event where you accelerate and it is unexpectedly fast acceleration and you must grab on so as not to be thrown back off the bike, however that action rolls the throttle on a bit and so you go faster and are therefore pushed back more and grab on tighter and throttle up more and so on in an ever increasing vicious cycle ending with your rear end on the pavement.

The question is: how should I prepare/practice to avoid this?

Secondary question: a person told me that I should prepare to avoid this by practicing wheelies. He said if I do it slowly it’s not too dangerous and I don’t have to go too high and it’s the same action as the event I fear so it will teach me how to handle it. Is this person smart or full of poo poo?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

1. Do not listen to that person ever, they are, to put it mildly, loving R

2. You hold on with your legs gripping onto the tank and lean forward using your core. You do not hold onto the bars like a monkey bar, you have to be able to do everything with only the lightest possible grip on the bars, imagine they are made of snickers and you're trying not to squash them

3. Nothing you ever do on the bike should be unexpected. You are deciding to use the throttle and you get the response you asked for, if it's unexpected it means your brain is not thinking about what you're doing. You roll it on gradually, you don't slam it open like a child, you control how much acceleration you want, you never ever ever chop it on and off

What kind of bike is this?

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

Wheelies as a novice? Yeah... no. Worst advice ever.

If you learn clutch and throttle control the normal way, there's not a huge chance of whisky throttle because you have trained yourself to be able to modulate those as appropriate. At the very worst, if you really panic, you can just pull in the clutch and all your acceleration will be gone instantly.

Most of those videos you see on youtube and whatever are with someone who pretty much just dumps the clutch, sometimes even before they get their feet on the pegs, and shoots forward. You shouldn't be dumping the clutch.

If you have a learner appropriate bike, it's really not that big of a deal. If you have an inappropriate bike, you've set yourself up for a much steeper learning curve.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

LimaBiker posted:

If you have an inappropriate bike, you've set yourself up for a much steeper learning curve.

And death! Don't forget death.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING

Vino posted:

The question is: how should I prepare/practice to avoid this?
Like Slavvy said, but let me elaborate a little.
Feet on pegs and knees agains the tank is how you anchor yourself to the bike, not with your hands and arms. Foot position is important. Pegs go under the balls of your feet, feet are tucked as tight against the center of the bike as they will go, toes and heels both. This means you need to move the foot forward to reach the controls in order to shift or brake (or cover the brake in anticipation that you might need to use it) and then move the foot back again when you're done shifting/braking - this is OK, it's not laborious and becomes second nature in short order. Proper foot position anchors you better to the bike and prevents injury since your feet/lower legs are in the safest place they can be. It also allows you to better stand on the pegs and ride over a speed bump or something.

Pressure against the tank is your upper point of contact with the bike. When you need more secure seating (like when braking firmly, or if you're like me when you're getting a little scared) you press harder against the tank. You can't do this all the time because it's tiring so you'll have to relax the squeeze when you don't need it but the area of inner leg around the knees should always be in contact with the bike. You sit in the saddle where you need to sit to facilitate anchoring your lower body to the bike. Right up against the tank is a common seating position, and means you can't slide forward and crush sensitive body parts with momentum, which is good.

Now that you're properly sitting on the bike you need to set the angle of your spine to what it needs to be in order to reach the handlebars without locking your elbows straight. This angle depends on the bike, how tall you are, how long your arms are and so on. Try not to hunch your back. The goal is to have your shoulders and arms relaxed and your grip as loose as possible at all times, which you need to finely control steering, front brak, throttle and clutch, blinker switch and whatever else. This means using your core strength to stabilize your torso when accelerating or braking so it isn't tugging on your arms, pulling or pushing on the bars, which is bad. On acceleration or with a strong headwind trying to blow you off your bike you can lean forward a bit to relieve strain on the muscles and balance the forces out, but you will inevitably need to work your core. When braking you can't lean back a whole lot without letting go of the bars so the only way to keep from putting weight on the bars through your arms (which is bad) is your back muscles and squeezing the tank harder with your legs. When braking hard (which you should practice a lot) you'll really need to strain with your back muscles, a lot. You'll soon learn to anticipate what forces you'll experience in the very near future as a result of the inputs you're giving your bike and brace for them before they move your upper body around, which is the short answer to the question, IMHO.

Invalido fucked around with this message at 14:13 on May 19, 2023

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

Vino posted:

Secondary question: a person told me that I should prepare to avoid this by practicing wheelies. He said if I do it slowly it’s not too dangerous and I don’t have to go too high and it’s the same action as the event I fear so it will teach me how to handle it. Is this person smart or full of poo poo?

Tell this person they're fired.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Practicing wheelies from the start to manage whiskey throttle is awesome advice, idk what y'all are on about.
You can just wheelie everywhere. Wins all around

pls don't

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

keep your knuckles pointed at the sky at zero throttle. at full throttle your wrist and forearm should be fully twisted down and it should be slightly uncomfortable

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

And don't forget that the solution to all newbie throttle errors is to grab the clutch. As soon as the bike starts doing that jerky lurching thing and throwing you back and forth, clamp down on the left lever and it will instantly settle down.

Llewellyn
Jul 26, 2010
Yeah the real answer, at least for me, was riding slowly and responsibly and not putting too much stock in the wacky Garry’s mod style bike crash scenarios your imagination creates. Much as my brain believed it would happen, I didn’t somehow slide right off the seat as soon as i hit freeway speeds for the first time, not did I veer out of control the second I drove on to a steel grate bridge.

Vino
Aug 11, 2010
Excellent responses, thank you. My bullshit detector definitely went off when he said that.

I mostly experienced this during my training course, which was on a 200 or 250 I don't remember.

Notes for me to practice:
1. Soft roll on/roll off of the throttle/clutch when going in gear
2. Gripping with knees and balls of feet on pegs

Slavvy posted:

What kind of bike is this?

Kawasaki Versys-X 300

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Vino posted:

Kawasaki Versys-X 300
Very tame and forgiving bike, you'd have to put in serious effort to manage a wheelie, accidentally or otherwise. Great choice for a beginner learning to ride too, you're gonna have so much fun!

Work on being smooth with everything you do, and get in lots of braking practice.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

That is stupendous advice :lol:

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

?

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Sorry I was catching up, meant the guy who said to wheelie to cure whisky throttle. Can’t think of a good way to put it in a title.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
Wheelying to cure whisky and die

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Had to wheelie 'er dan

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Apply throttle directly to forehead.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Chris Knight posted:

Apply throttle directly to forehead.

prukinski
Dec 25, 2011

Sure why not
How do y’all align forks on bikes with this kind of triple clamp?

I know the common wisdom is to loosen the clamp nut holding the top triple in place and the bottom triple fork clamps and bounce the bike some, but if I do that there’s nothing holding my top triple in place because it doesn’t have an overhanging central nut. The whole thing just slides off. .

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I think the most you can do there, without making everything loose and starting from scratch with setting head bearing clearance, is to leave the top pinch bolts tight and loosen the lower, then try turning the bars a bit while leaving the front wheel jammed in a corner or held still by an assistant to see if you can untwist the fork tubes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
Those of us who ride in countries where you do so on the right side of the road seem to greet riders we meet with our left hand with some kind of wave or salute, this seems to be common practice internationally.
What about other hand signals?

When I started practice riding my amateur tutor taught me two additional hand signals (at least that I remember):

-There's cops around (tapping palm on top of one's helmet, supposed to be reminiscent of flashing roof lights I was told )
-You left your blinkers on (opening and closing your outstretched fingers and thumb, like the "this person is talking too much"-gesture)

I don't know how widespread or true my tutor's statement is, but I've been signalled that my blinker was on by another rider and also given the sign and been understood at least once, so using hand signals seems to be a thing for some riders at least. It's not covered in the licence theory course, so insofar as it exists it's by word of mouth/cultural, and it's clearly not universally used or understood where I live at least. If there's anything written about this on the internet I haven't found it except for a youtube video that mentioned the cop warning signal, which included this still graphic of the signal:

Is any of this or anything similar a thing where you live, and if so how did you hear about it?